bad script XDR magic number

"Error: bad script XDR magic number" -- from "Tools" > "Error Console".

This shows up in the Error Console immediately after launching TBird
(after autofetching mail, but otherwise not doing anything). It is the
only event in Error Console that is marked as an error.

I'm having some problems with TBird related to stale/bogus properties in
'prefs.js'. I don't know if this is related, but it's part of my
troubleshooting. (I'm currently preparing a magnum opus on 'prefs.js'
that will hopefully be useful in the future and that I will publish
....right here!)

For now, the questions are:
Is anyone else experiencing this?
Does anyone have any idea what "bad script XDR magic number" is all about?

Thanks!
Mark.

0
Mark
5/12/2017 5:44:38 AM
mozilla.support.thunderbird 22135 articles. 2 followers. Post Follow

Mark Filipak wrote:
> Does anyone have any idea what "bad script XDR magic number" is all about?

I searched on Tb + the string and see various reports for Moz products
in Windows and Linux usually related to an extension sometimes .js.

I would start Tb with the extensions disabled and see if it goes away
for one step of the troubleshooting sequence.

Tb Help: Restart with add-ons disabled

--
Mike Easter
0
On 2017-05-12 01:44, Mark Filipak <markfilipak.mozilla@gmail.com> wrote:

> "Error: bad script XDR magic number" -- from "Tools" > "Error Console".
>
> This shows up in the Error Console immediately after launching TBird
> (after autofetching mail, but otherwise not doing anything). It is the
> only event in Error Console that is marked as an error.
>
> I'm having some problems with TBird related to stale/bogus properties in
> 'prefs.js'. I don't know if this is related, but it's part of my
> troubleshooting. (I'm currently preparing a magnum opus on 'prefs.js'
> that will hopefully be useful in the future and that I will publish
> ....right here!)
>
> For now, the questions are:
> Is anyone else experiencing this?
> Does anyone have any idea what "bad script XDR magic number" is all about?
>
> Thanks!
> Mark.

I don't see this on my own TB38 with many addons. No idea what it means :-(

Regards,

--
! _\|/_  Sylvain / B00ze64@hotmail.com
oO-( )-Oo  (A)bort, (R)etry, (I)nfluence with large hammer.

0
B00ze
5/13/2017 3:12:26 AM
On 05/12/2017 08:28 AM, Mike Easter wrote:
> Mark Filipak wrote:
>> Does anyone have any idea what "bad script XDR magic number" is all
>> about?
>
> I searched on Tb + the string and see various reports for Moz products
> in Windows and Linux usually related to an extension sometimes .js.
>
> I would start Tb with the extensions disabled and see if it goes away
> for one step of the troubleshooting sequence.
>
> Tb Help: Restart with add-ons disabled

Thanks, Mike.

If I launch TBird in safe mode. The error is gone.
If I launch TBird a 2nd time in safe mode, there is no error.
If I then launch TBird normally, there is no error.
If I launch TBird again (and on each succeeding launch), I get the
error. Below is a "copy" of the error statement:

Timestamp: 05/13/2017 05:01:45 AM
Error: bad script XDR magic number

There is no "Source File:" line in the error statement.
There is no "Line:" line in the error statement.
All there is, is "Error: bad script XDR magic number".

What, prey tell, is an "XDR magic number"? Perhaps that will provide a clue.

Regards,
Mark.
0
Mark