an error occurred while sending mail. the mail server: authentication required

I'm getting the above error when I try to send emails. I've tried some
of the suggestions in help files but nothing has worked. Can someone
tell me what is wrong and how I can put it right.

Thanks

Mo
mozilla.support.thunderbird 22506 articles. 5 followers. Post Follow

M Joomun wrote:
> I'm getting the above error when I try to send emails. I've tried some
> of the suggestions in help files but nothing has worked. Can someone
> tell me what is wrong and how I can put it right.
>
> Thanks
>
> Mo

It may be just that you haven't ticked smtp authentication - and set up
a username and password for the smtp server - usually the default is to
use the same as the incoming server but you may be sending from a
different account - or TB may be using the default SMTP server, when it
needs another one set up for a new email account

It depends what your ISP requires.

Tools - Account Settings - Outgoing Server (bottom of list on lhs) -
Edit button after highlighting the correct SMTP server (if you have more
than one set up) - make sure the boxes are filled out correctly, and in
Security and Authentication - tick the Use Name and Password box, enter
the username (usually the same as the pop3 username) and choose what
security level - usually the default would be Use Secure Connection - NO
Then OK your way out.
Next time you send you may be asked for the smtp password. You can
decide whether TB remembers this or not.

If you have already done this - and still have a problem, and if the
error is a 553 error, and you are using an ISP connected with Yahoo then
you may be experiencing their great foobar with email smtp verification,
over the last fortnight!
See here for some bad instructions (which forget to tell you to go to
the webmail interface first)
http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/original/manage/sendfrom-07.html

See here for a BTYahoo user set of instructions - may be relevant if you
can adapt them to your own situation
http://www.andyweb.co.uk/shortcuts/smtperror553.htm
Two of us on our ISP support newsgroup wrote these specifically for
BTYahoo! users in the UK which has had this problem badly.
http://www.beta.bt.com/bta/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=2927&tstart=0
NB - smtp authentication isn't the same as smtp verification!

I'm just guessing - it might be something different - could you post the
error message and give some ISP details and how you are set up to send mail?

--
Rev Robert M Jones, Wimborne Baptist Church, UK
http://www.wimborne-baptist.org.uk

The server response was: 503 This mail server requires authentication when attempting to send to a non-local e-mail address
I am not sure why now I am getting this error all of a sudden.  Our ISP had changed some of their mail server around, and I think this should still work but it's not:    Public Function SendMail(ByVal userid As String) As Boolean        Dim obUser As New BusinessLayer.BUser        obUser.GetUser(SqlTypes.SqlGuid.Parse(userid))        Dim obMail As New Web.Mail.MailMessage        obMail.To = obUser.Email        obMail.From = "postmaster@sss.net "     ...

This mail server requires authentication when attempting to send to a non-local e-mail address
This mail server requires authentication when attempting to send to a non-local e-mail address. Please check your mail client settings or contact your administrator to verify that the domain or address is defined for this server.Regards,Irfan UllahMark as Answer to those post that helps you!  the best resource for email with asp.net (IMHO)http://www.systemnetmail.com/ Hope That HelpsAll that wander, are not lost...What were we talkin bout You will need to authenticate to send an email.  Here's how:http://www.systemnetmail.com/faq/4.2.aspx Darrell Norton, MVPDarrel...

After configuring the SMTP server for sending mails ,How to authenticate against the mail server?
  Hi,After configuring the SMTP server ,How to authenticate against the mail server for sending mails?Swati                                             http://www.systemnetmail.com/faq/4.2.aspxhttp://www.systemwebmail.com/faq/3.8.aspxAlso, in .NET 2.0 you can store the SMTP credentials and server info in web.config.Ryan OlshanASPInsider | Microsoft MVP, ASP.NEThtt...

503 This mail server requires authentication when attempting to send to a non-local e-mail address.
--____GQHZGBLPUNRCEGLLADQA____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable We are running GW 6.5.2. =20 I have a user that is trying to send an email to several individuals at = one of our customers. All are delivered except one. The error she = receives for this one individual is: 503 This mail server requires authentication when attempting to send to a = non-local e-mail address. Please check your mail client settings or = contact your administrator to verify that the domain or address is defined = for this server. I have tr...

Why do Sending SMTP Authenticated E-mail succeed using SmtpMail.Send() function but fail using SmtpClient.send() function ? Bugs in System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient when send a Authenticated E-mail?
I click btnOK button, the email can send OK, but click btnFail button,  the following error is displayed! why ? you can test the section code. The SMTP, username, password are valid!  Many thanks! "Syntax error, command unrecognized. The server response was: authentication failed,decode user password error" I have tested some other SMTP, somes is OK. I think there are some bugs with System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient when send a Authenticated E-mail with some SMTP!   //------------------------------------------.ASPX Code----------------------------------------...

an error occurred with the pop3 mail server. mail server localhost responded:
Hi, This error is driving me nuts. I've been using T/bird for quite a few months now and all of a sudden, up pops this error message; an error occurred with the pop3 mail server. mail server localhost responded: and I can't collect anything either from my ISP provided account or from my Hotmail.com account. So as it turns out, my PC crashed (naff BIOS update) so when I reinstalled Vista Ultimate, I naturally installed T/bird. Installed WebMail 1.2.1 and Webmail - Hotmail 1.2.1 and no problem. Then the next time I restarted my pc yesterday, bang, here's ...

Bad sequence of commands. The server response was: This mail server requires authentication. Please check your mail client settings.
try { MailMessage message = new MailMessage(); message.From = new MailAddress("amrit@eastlandindia.com"); message.To.Add("eramrit_datasoft@yahoo.co.in"); message.Subject = "Check Mail"; message.Body = "Your loan status"; SmtpClient smtpClient = new SmtpClient("eastlandindia.com"); smtpClient.Credentials = new NetworkCredential("eastlandindia.com", "xxxxxx"); smtpClient.Send(message); } catch (Exception ex) { Response.Write(ex.Message); }   This is my code When  i Sending mail the it give the message: Bad sequence of commands. The server response was: This mai...

server requires authentication to send mail
Greetings! My ISP requires a configuration that I can't find in Mozilla. (I can recieve mail just fine from multiple POP accounts. I can't send, though. Other settings seem to be fine: server, port, username, password.) In Outlook, there's a checkbox to specify "server requires authentication" prior to sending mail. Is there an equivalent setting/feature in Mozilla? Thanks! Jay In message <Xns952C2F3EFF48jaysjunkcovadnet@216.251.47.166> jay <jmaechtlen@yahoo.com> wrote: >Greetings! >My ISP requires a configuration that I can't ...

send mail error when sending mail from web
The "SendUsing" configuration value is invalid. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. Exception Details: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: The "SendUsing" configuration value is invalid. Source Error: Line 41: Line 42: 'Now, to send the message, use the Send method of the SmtpMail class Line 43: SmtpMail.send (objMM) Line 44: Line 45: Source File: c:\inetpub\wwwroot\sendmailthink\WebForm1.aspx Line: 43 ...

Mail sending through a mail server or ASP.NET mail component??
Hi masters; I'm building a webmail UI and theres one thing I would like to know: What would be the feature or performance differences if I send my mails through my mail server COM API (hMailServer 4.3) or through ASP.NET mail component? Thanks..Kaan ÖZGEN Performance likley negliable differences, even if sending 100 000 emails, the real time will be the sending of the email. If the API offers smarter batching of e-mails then it might make a difference. The advantages of using the .NET SmtpClient (which I assume is what you're referring) are that you're really not dependent on ...

Sending Mail with FUNCKY to a recipient on a different mail server ERROR -14
Dear All: I need to use FUNKY's SMTP mail component in order to be able to send HTML mail messages (PB's objects only allow to send text...) I get this error when sending to a recipient on a different server: Error 0: Status: -14 The recipients email address was not accepted by the mail server server: smtp.telefonica.net Timeout: 20000 FromName: Ignacio Mateos FromAddress: imateos@telefonica.net Toname: imateos@terra.es ToAddress: imateos@terra.es I guess this happens because my server requires authentication in order to avoid relay abuses. Now question is: HO...

Send Mail from my Mail Server
Hi,         I tested the sample code which is used to send mail from asp.net page like SmtpMail.Send(....). Actually it works well. But here the mail was not stored in the send items of my email ID (From ID) when i sent a mail. I think you got my question. My question is every time i send a mail the mail will also be stored in the sent items. And also I want to send mails from my Mail Server. Please send your suggestions or links.Thanx,M. GANESAN  The mail isn't being sent from your email software, so it won't be stored in your Sent Items folde...

Bugizilla 4.4.8 : There was an error sending mail from 'bugzilla-daemon@xxx.xxx.x.xxx' to 'mail-id@domain': Couldn't authenticate 'mail-id@gmail.com:...'
Dear All, I had configured Bugizilla 4.4.8 almost 8 months back for our internal purpose and was working fine all these days. Today morning it started giving the following error when I try to login as administrator. -----ERROR----------------------------------------------- An unexpected error occurred. This could be a temporary problem, or some code is behaving incorrectly. If this problem persists, please email this page to mail-d@domain with details of what you were doing at the time this message appeared. URL: http://192.168.0.138/complaints/index.cgi There was an error ...

Error Message: 553 Authentication is required to send mail as
If I send a message to an address with a specific domain, I got a message from our mailer daemon with the following content The attached file had the following undeliverable recipient(s): xxx@yyy.de Transcript of session follows: Command: MAIL FROM:<Bernd.Heistermann@svvrk.de> Response: 553 Authentication is required to send mail as <Bernd.Heistermann@svvrk.de> This happens if and only if the domain of the address is yyy.de any other domains do not show this problem. An email from mny private acoount to the recipient is received without problems. A...

Web resources about - an error occurred while sending mail. the mail server: authentication required - mozilla.support.thunderbird

Authentication - Facebook-Entwickler
Please note: On October 3, 2012, the offline_access permission will be removed. If you are building...

Facebook Adds Two Factor Authentication for Login and Redesigns Family Safety Center
... announced the release of several new tools to help users stay safe while using the site. Soon, users will be able to enable two factor authentication ...

YouTube - How To Hack Twitter's New Two Factor Authentication
Veröffentlicht am 23.05.2013 Connect! http://toopher.com http://facebook.com/toopherinc http://twitter.com/toopher CEO Josh Alexander wants ...

Two-factor authentication - cyber security -
Two recent hacking cases highlight how personal emails can impact overall business security through tiny weaknesses.

Two-factor authentication: double or nothing
An extra layer of security keeps hackers at bay.