Adding "emocions" or "emotions"

Not really sure what the funny faces are called, but is there a way to
use them with newsgroups?  They are available in other mail, but not here.

Thanks!

Steve
0
Stephen
4/23/2006 10:24:23 PM
mozilla.support.thunderbird 22506 articles. 5 followers. Post Follow

Stephen Fox wrote:

> Not really sure what the funny faces are called, but is there a way to
> use them with newsgroups?  They are available in other mail, but not here.

This isn't mail.  If you use the standard smiley punctuation, it will
work just as well -- probably better, actually -- as an actual graphic
character :-)

However... Tools/options/display/formatting/'display emoticons as
graphics'. ought to do what you want.

Will this help?
https://addons.mozilla.org/thunderbird/749/comments/

The
4/23/2006 11:12:19 PM
The Real Bev wrote:
> Stephen Fox wrote:
>
>> Not really sure what the funny faces are called, but is there a way to
>> use them with newsgroups?  They are available in other mail, but not
>> here.
>
> This isn't mail.  If you use the standard smiley punctuation, it will
> work just as well -- probably better, actually -- as an actual graphic
> character :-)
>
> However... Tools/options/display/formatting/'display emoticons as
> graphics'. ought to do what you want.

No, already checked.

> Will this help?
> https://addons.mozilla.org/thunderbird/749/comments/

Getting too involved with stuff I don't know about.  Thanks for the help
anyway.  ;)

Steve

0
Stephen
4/24/2006 12:03:27 AM
On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 15:24:23 -0700, in message
<i8ydnRPGU9QFY9bZnZ2dnUVZ_s6dnZ2d@mozilla.org>,
Stephen Fox wrote:

> Not really sure what the funny faces are called, but is there a way to
> use them with newsgroups?  They are available in other mail, but not here.

Testing in Thunderbird 1.5.0.2

I compose a new newsgroup message in plain text.
In the body of the message, I write what looks like this

     Is that really true   ;​)
     I'm disappointed      :​(

I click "Send later"

When I look at the message in the "Unsent Messages" folder,
I see that the  ;​)  and  :​(  have changed to emoticons.

If you have "Display emoticons as graphics" checked, then
the lines below will show them as emoticons.

     Is that really true   ;)
     I'm disappointed      :(

0
Ralph
4/24/2006 2:53:27 AM
Ralph Fox wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 15:24:23 -0700, in message
> <i8ydnRPGU9QFY9bZnZ2dnUVZ_s6dnZ2d@mozilla.org>,
> Stephen Fox wrote:
>
>> Not really sure what the funny faces are called, but is there a way to
>> use them with newsgroups?  They are available in other mail, but not
>> here.
>
> Testing in Thunderbird 1.5.0.2
>
> I compose a new newsgroup message in plain text.
> In the body of the message, I write what looks like this
>
>     Is that really true   ;​)
>     I'm disappointed      :​(
>
> I click "Send later"
>
> When I look at the message in the "Unsent Messages" folder,
> I see that the  ;​)  and  :​(  have changed to emoticons.
>
> If you have "Display emoticons as graphics" checked, then
> the lines below will show them as emoticons.
>
>     Is that really true   ;)
>     I'm disappointed      :(

Yes, in my message on the list the emoticons do show as graphics, but my
"smile" :) was changed to a "wink" ;)

If these (above) come through as advertised, it means I mistyped before.
  Thanks for the new way of looking at it!

Steve
0
Stephen
4/24/2006 3:59:50 AM
Stephen Fox wrote:

> Ralph Fox wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 15:24:23 -0700, in message
>><i8ydnRPGU9QFY9bZnZ2dnUVZ_s6dnZ2d@mozilla.org>,
>>Stephen Fox wrote:
>>

>>>Not really sure what the funny faces are called, but is there a way to
>>>use them with newsgroups?  They are available in other mail, but not
>>>here.
>>
>>Testing in Thunderbird 1.5.0.2
>>
>>I compose a new newsgroup message in plain text.
>>In the body of the message, I write what looks like this
>>
>>    Is that really true   ;​)
>>    I'm disappointed      :​(
>>
>>I click "Send later"
>>
>>When I look at the message in the "Unsent Messages" folder,
>>I see that the  ;​)  and  :​(  have changed to emoticons.
>>
>>If you have "Display emoticons as graphics" checked, then
>>the lines below will show them as emoticons.
>>
>>    Is that really true   ;)
>>    I'm disappointed      :(
>>

> Yes, in my message on the list the emoticons do show as graphics, but my
> "smile" :) was changed to a "wink" ;)
>
> If these (above) come through as advertised, it means I mistyped before.
>   Thanks for the new way of looking at it!
>
> Steve
a smile is a colon, a dash, then a right bracket; while a wink is a
semi-colon, a dash, then a right bracket

--
Things to Ponder about: Why do toasters always have a setting that
burns the toast to a horrible crisp, which no decent human being would
Stephen Fox wrote:

> Ralph Fox wrote:
--snip--
>> Testing in Thunderbird 1.5.0.2
>>
>> I compose a new newsgroup message in plain text.
>> In the body of the message, I write what looks like this
>>
>>     Is that really true   ;​)
>>     I'm disappointed      :​(
>>
>> I click "Send later"
>>
>> When I look at the message in the "Unsent Messages" folder,
>> I see that the  ;​)  and  :​(  have changed to emoticons.
>>
>> If you have "Display emoticons as graphics" checked, then
>> the lines below will show them as emoticons.
>>
>>     Is that really true   ;)
>>     I'm disappointed      :(
>>

> Yes, in my message on the list the emoticons do show as graphics, but my
> "smile" :) was changed to a "wink" ;)
>
> If these (above) come through as advertised, it means I mistyped before.
>  Thanks for the new way of looking at it!

These came through as advertised here.

"smile"   :​)  is displayed as  :)
"wink"    ;​)  is displayed as  ;)

0
Ralph
4/24/2006 4:19:17 AM
_Stephen Fox_ spoke thusly on 23/04/2006 6:24 PM:
> Not really sure what the funny faces are called, but is there a way to
> use them with newsgroups?  They are available in other mail, but not here.

Actually, the correct term is 'emoticons'. (emotion + icons)
'Smileys' is another common name for them.

An Emoticon is just a sequence of ASCII text characters that forms a
rough picture, such as a facial expression. Many mail/news clients have
the ability to recognize certain sequences and identify them as
emoticons. With Thunderbird, you have the option of displaying those
recognized emoticons graphically. Likewise, when you insert a graphical
emoticon into a message that you are composing, what is really inserted
is a sequence of text characters.

To see a list of emoticons, and their accompanying images, see:
<http://ilias.ca/mozilla/mailnewsfaq/Emoticons>
(The actual images are different in Thunderbird)

The drop-down menu you see in the message composition window, just
provides a shortcut to inserting those text sequences. That drop-down
menu only appears in HTML mode. To compose in HTML mode, go to 'Tools ->
Account Settings -> <account-name> -> Composition & Addressing', and
check mark "Compose messages in HTML format".
--
Chris Ilias
mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
Chris Ilias wrote:
> _Stephen Fox_ spoke thusly on 23/04/2006 6:24 PM:
>> Not really sure what the funny faces are called, but is there a way to
>> use them with newsgroups?  They are available in other mail, but not here.
>
> Actually, the correct term is 'emoticons'. (emotion + icons)
> 'Smileys' is another common name for them.
>
> An Emoticon is just a sequence of ASCII text characters that forms a
> rough picture, such as a facial expression. Many mail/news clients have
> the ability to recognize certain sequences and identify them as
> emoticons. With Thunderbird, you have the option of displaying those
> recognized emoticons graphically. Likewise, when you insert a graphical
> emoticon into a message that you are composing, what is really inserted
> is a sequence of text characters.
>
> To see a list of emoticons, and their accompanying images, see:
> <http://ilias.ca/mozilla/mailnewsfaq/Emoticons>
> (The actual images are different in Thunderbird)
>
> The drop-down menu you see in the message composition window, just
> provides a shortcut to inserting those text sequences. That drop-down
> menu only appears in HTML mode. To compose in HTML mode, go to 'Tools ->
> Account Settings -> <account-name> -> Composition & Addressing', and
> check mark "Compose messages in HTML format".
But I assume you don't want us to use HTML mode for this newsgroup?

Steve
0
Stephen
4/24/2006 2:14:31 PM
On 24.04.2006 16:14, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused  Stephen Fox to
generate the following:? :

> Chris Ilias wrote:
>
>> _Stephen Fox_ spoke thusly on 23/04/2006 6:24 PM:
>>
>>> Not really sure what the funny faces are called, but is there a way to
>>> use them with newsgroups?  They are available in other mail, but not
>>> here.
>>

>> Actually, the correct term is 'emoticons'. (emotion + icons)
>> 'Smileys' is another common name for them.
>>
>> An Emoticon is just a sequence of ASCII text characters that forms a
>> rough picture, such as a facial expression. Many mail/news clients have
>> the ability to recognize certain sequences and identify them as
>> emoticons. With Thunderbird, you have the option of displaying those
>> recognized emoticons graphically. Likewise, when you insert a graphical
>> emoticon into a message that you are composing, what is really inserted
>> is a sequence of text characters.
>>
>> To see a list of emoticons, and their accompanying images, see:
>> <http://ilias.ca/mozilla/mailnewsfaq/Emoticons>
>> (The actual images are different in Thunderbird)
>>
>> The drop-down menu you see in the message composition window, just
>> provides a shortcut to inserting those text sequences. That drop-down
>> menu only appears in HTML mode. To compose in HTML mode, go to 'Tools ->
>> Account Settings -> <account-name> -> Composition & Addressing', and
>> check mark "Compose messages in HTML format".
>
> But I assume you don't want us to use HTML mode for this newsgroup?
>
> Steve

not for "sending" :-( , but you can compose in HTML and send as plain
text 8-)
which allows you to use the Smileys button - top right side - to insert
emoticons :-)

reg
0
squaredancer
4/24/2006 2:23:52 PM
Stephen Fox wrote:
> Not really sure what the funny faces are called, but is there a way to
> use them with newsgroups?  They are available in other mail, but not here.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Steve

Another place to see a list of emoticons and how to enter them is:
http://ed.mullen.home.comcast.net/Mozilla/emoticons.html

0
RAV
4/24/2006 2:48:24 PM
_Stephen Fox_ spoke thusly on 24/04/2006 10:14 AM:
> Chris Ilias wrote:
>
>> The drop-down menu you see in the message composition window, just
>> provides a shortcut to inserting those text sequences. That drop-down
>> menu only appears in HTML mode. To compose in HTML mode, go to 'Tools ->
>> Account Settings -> <account-name> -> Composition & Addressing', and
>> check mark "Compose messages in HTML format".
> But I assume you don't want us to use HTML mode for this newsgroup?

If you compose in HTML mode, but do not add any HTML formatting,
Thunderbird will just send the message in plain text.
--
Chris Ilias
mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
Mozilla links <http://ilias.ca>
Chris
4/24/2006 6:22:53 PM
Stephen Fox wrote:

> Chris Ilias wrote:
>>
>> The drop-down menu you see in the message composition window, just
>> provides a shortcut to inserting those text sequences. That drop-down
>> menu only appears in HTML mode. To compose in HTML mode, go to 'Tools ->
>> Account Settings -> <account-name> -> Composition & Addressing', and
>> check mark "Compose messages in HTML format".
 >
> But I assume you don't want us to use HTML mode for this newsgroup?

NOBODY wants you to use HTML mode for this newsgroup.

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
"Few skills are so well rewarded as the ability to convince
  parasites that they are victims."          --Thomas Sowell
0
The
4/24/2006 7:51:06 PM
The Real Bev wrote:
> Stephen Fox wrote:
>> Chris Ilias wrote:
>>>
>>> The drop-down menu you see in the message composition window,
>>> just provides a shortcut to inserting those text sequences. That
>>> drop-down menu only appears in HTML mode. To compose in HTML
>>> mode, go to 'Tools -> Account Settings -> <account-name> ->
>>> Composition & Addressing', and check mark "Compose messages in
>>> HTML format".
>>
>> But I assume you don't want us to use HTML mode for this
>> newsgroup?
>
> NOBODY wants you to use HTML mode for this newsgroup.

Nobody wants anybody to use HTML in any newsgroup, or even e-mail
without specific permission from the destination.

CBFalconer

.ALLCOL("%COLUMN%", " ", ", ", ", ")

quotes, quotes, quotes...

"Using" or "With"

replace the "." with a ","

Replacing "\\" with "\"

"To" and "From" missing

double quote

Using "+" or "||"

"Me" is better than "You"

"JROC" / "JROK" / "JROCK" / "JROQ"
I just started a new contract and the tech lead told me that he wanted me to become familiar with something called "JROC" (among some other tools). I've been searching the web and I haven't found any dev tool called "JROC." Based on the name of the tool, it sounds like it encapsulates some javascript functionality. I have tried searching for different spellings - "JROK" / "JROCK" / "JROQ" but I haven't found any matches. Have you ever heard of a dev tool by this name?...

pulling out "a","an", "the" from beginning of strings
I need to pull out articles "a", "an", and "the" from the beginning of title strings so that they sort properly in MySQL. What is the best way to accomplish that if I have a single $scalar with the whole title in it? Thanks, Tim -- Tim McGeary tim.mcgeary@lehigh.edu --=-weUphL4mkB1WR5g+DMDc Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable On Tue, 2004-08-24 at 15:04, Tim McGeary wrote: > I need to pull out articles "a", "an", and "the" from the beginning of=20 >...

Web resources about - Adding "emocions" or "emotions" - mozilla.support.thunderbird