2.0.0.18 and 2.0.0.19 hang on my vista 64 bit installation

Hi all,

I'm trying to migrate from Eudora  to Thunderbird under Vista 64 and
am having a rough time.  Installation of 2.0.0.18 (same for 2.0.0.19)
goes fine, but then the Thunderbird application just hangs (spinning
donut) without so much as displaying a window.  Any idea what might be
going on?  I believe there was an installation of 2.0.0.14 on this
machine that I just installed over.  Maybe there are left over files?
I'm not really a Windows guy so I don't even know where to start on
troubleshooting this!

Thanks much in advance,

Doug
0
mckeedm

mckeedm@gmail.com said the following on 12/30/2008 4:06 PM:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to migrate from Eudora  to Thunderbird under Vista 64 and
> am having a rough time.  Installation of 2.0.0.18 (same for 2.0.0.19)
> goes fine, but then the Thunderbird application just hangs (spinning
> donut) without so much as displaying a window.  Any idea what might be
> going on?  I believe there was an installation of 2.0.0.14 on this
> machine that I just installed over.  Maybe there are left over files?
> I'm not really a Windows guy so I don't even know where to start on
> troubleshooting this!
>
> Thanks much in advance,
>
> Doug

Have you tried uninstalling TB and trying to install again?
Would be something I would suggest if you have not already done it.

--

Al
http://www.sunrisedoors.com
> mckeedm@gmail.com said the following on 12/30/2008 4:06 PM:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm trying to migrate from Eudora  to Thunderbird under Vista 64 and
>> am having a rough time.  Installation of 2.0.0.18 (same for 2.0.0.19)
>> goes fine, but then the Thunderbird application just hangs (spinning
>> donut) without so much as displaying a window.  Any idea what might be
>> going on?  I believe there was an installation of 2.0.0.14 on this
>> machine that I just installed over.  Maybe there are left over files?
>> I'm not really a Windows guy so I don't even know where to start on
>> troubleshooting this!
>>
>> Thanks much in advance,
>>
>> Doug
>
> Have you tried uninstalling TB and trying to install again?
> Would be something I would suggest if you have not already done it.

Thunderbird is a Win32 app., so You may have to tell Vista Win64 to run Tb
in Win32 compatibility mode. I have no problems with Vista Win32, AKA Home
Basic.

--
Ron K.
Ron
"Ron K." <killjay@gisco.net> wrote:

> Thunderbird is a Win32 app., so You may have to tell Vista Win64
> to run Tb in Win32 compatibility mode.

Shouldn't have to do anything, T'bird runs very well on my Vista
Ultimate 64.

The Usenet Improvement Project:
http://improve-usenet.org
0
XS11E
12/31/2008 1:08:39 AM
On Dec 30, 8:08=A0pm, XS11E <xs11...@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
> "Ron K." <kill...@gisco.net> wrote:
> > Thunderbird is a Win32 app., so You may have to tell Vista Win64
> > to run Tb in Win32 compatibility mode.
>
> Shouldn't have to do anything, T'bird runs very well on my Vista
> Ultimate 64.

I didn't think I needed to do anything, but the fact remains that in
my installation, it doesn't work.  Uninstalling and reinstalling does
no good and I even tried the 3.0b1 package which simply crashes after
installation when it tries to run the program.  Any other ideas would
be most welcome!!

> The Usenet Improvement Project:http://improve-usenet.org

Ouch! I'm glad you didn't filter out my post!

mckeedm
12/31/2008 4:42:12 AM
mckeedm@gmail.com keyboarded, On 12/30/2008 11:42 PM:
> On Dec 30, 8:08 pm, XS11E<xs11...@SPAMyahoo.com>  wrote:
>
>> "Ron K."<kill...@gisco.net>  wrote:
>>
>>> Thunderbird is a Win32 app., so You may have to tell Vista Win64
>>> to run Tb in Win32 compatibility mode.
>>>
>> Shouldn't have to do anything, T'bird runs very well on my Vista
>> Ultimate 64.
>>

> I didn't think I needed to do anything, but the fact remains that in
> my installation, it doesn't work.  Uninstalling and reinstalling does
> no good and I even tried the 3.0b1 package which simply crashes after
> installation when it tries to run the program.  Any other ideas would
> be most welcome!!
>

>> XS11E, Killing all posts from Google Groups
>> The Usenet Improvement Project:http://improve-usenet.org
>>

> Ouch! I'm glad you didn't filter out my post!

Are You running a multi-core CPU?  If so You should restrict Tb to only
one core.  Tb runs as a single thread in Windows.

--
Ron K.

Ron
12/31/2008 5:40:03 AM
"Ron K." <killjay@gisco.net> wrote:

> mckeedm@gmail.com keyboarded, On 12/30/2008 11:42 PM:
>> On Dec 30, 8:08 pm, XS11E<xs11...@SPAMyahoo.com>  wrote:
>>> XS11E, Killing all posts from Google Groups
>>> The Usenet Improvement Project:http://improve-usenet.org
>>>

>> Ouch! I'm glad you didn't filter out my post!

I did filter your post, I replied to "Ron K" who quoted your post.

Filtering GGers is NOT in any way personal, it's to remove the large
quantities of spammers that Google seems to encourage.  For posts such
as yours I usually see it when someone replies to you so your
question/comment isn't lost.

> Are You running a multi-core CPU?  If so You should restrict Tb to
> only one core.  Tb runs as a single thread in Windows.

Again, should not be necessary, I've done nothing but install and run
T'burp trouble free in Vista Ultimate 64.

The Usenet Improvement Project:
http://improve-usenet.org
0
XS11E
12/31/2008 5:03:46 PM
> Filtering GGers is NOT in any way personal, it's to remove the large
> quantities of spammers that Google seems to encourage. =A0For posts such
> as yours I usually see it when someone replies to you so your
> question/comment isn't lost.

Gotcha; I won't take it personally!

> > Are You running a multi-core CPU? =A0If so You should restrict Tb to
> > only one core. =A0Tb runs as a single thread in Windows.
>
> Again, should not be necessary, I've done nothing but install and run
> T'burp trouble free in Vista Ultimate 64.

I tried running in Windows XP compatibility mode: Still hangs at
startup
I ran with "start /affinity 01 thunderbird.exe": Still hangs at
startup
Installed 2.0.0.14: It starts! But then it "stops responding" in the
middle of importing my Eudora mail.
I'm beginning to wonder if there is something strange with my Vista
installation.  Any ideas what I might look for?

And what version of T-bird are you using XS11E?

Thx, Doug
0
mckeedm
12/31/2008 7:34:18 PM
On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 10:03:46 -0700, XS11E <xs11eNO@SPAMyahoo.com>
wrote:

>>> Ouch! I'm glad you didn't filter out my post!
>
>I did filter your post, I replied to "Ron K" who quoted your post.
>
>Filtering GGers is NOT in any way personal, it's to remove the large
>quantities of spammers that Google seems to encourage.  For posts such
>as yours I usually see it when someone replies to you so your
>question/comment isn't lost.

Likewise.  If it's obvious that the Google poster is:

1.  Not a spammer and
2.  Makes valuable contributions to the group

then I put him on a "white list" which has priority over my general
kill-file for Google.
0
Andrew
12/31/2008 7:36:10 PM
FYI, this chapter doesn't have a terribly happy ending.  I'ved decided
to just use Outlook on the machine since I can't get Thunderbird to
work.  As new versions of T-bird come out, I'll try them, but it's a
real shame.

Doug
0
mckeedm
1/3/2009 1:55:37 AM
mckeedm@gmail.com wrote:
> FYI, this chapter doesn't have a terribly happy ending.  I'ved decided
> to just use Outlook on the machine since I can't get Thunderbird to
> work.  As new versions of T-bird come out, I'll try them, but it's a
> real shame.
>
> Doug

As I use it on vista 64 as well without problems, I think you have a non
generic problem. Remove it entirely from your computer and start a fresh
install...

You can also try without extnesions...

--eric
0
EricNo

2.0.0.17 vs 2.0.0.18
When a message has attached pictures (jpg's) and you double click it, the message will open in a fresh window with an icon at the bottom for each attached picture. Under 2.0.0.17, when you right click any of the icons, "detach all..." was an option. Under 2.0.0.18, that option is grey-ed out. Is there a way I can (easily) get it back? Tnx, Charles charles cashion wrote: > When a message has attached pictures (jpg's) and > you double click it, the message will open in a > fresh window with an icon at the bottom for each > attached picture. >...

2.0.0.2 to version 2.0.0.3
Name: Ed Strait Email: estraitateds-placedotcom Product: Firefox Summary: 2.0.0.2 to version 2.0.0.3 Comments: A week or so ago I was prompted to download and install version 2.0.0.3 as an upgrade from 2.0.0.2. I selected the upgrade and was running the ..3 version since. This morning, out of now where, it downloaded the .2 version and ask to to install which it looked as if I had no choice. After it restarted it was showing that I was running the .2. I then went and checked for any updates and it found the .3 again and installed it. Now I'm back to the .3 again. Any rea...

Upgraded from 2.0.0.3 to 2.0.0.2???
Just downloaded a FireFox prompted update. I was running 2.0.0.3. The downloaded update is 2.0.0.2 ... seems to me that's a step backwards ... is there a reason? On May 16, 1:45 pm, Dean Kay <dean...@earthlink.net> wrote: > Just downloaded a FireFox prompted update. I was running 2.0.0.3. The > downloaded update is 2.0.0.2 ... seems to me that's a step backwards ... > is there a reason? I had a weird instance today, where Firefox locked up (no, that's not weird...lol) on Vista, and so Vista did the "checking for problems" process, and then...

Update from 2.0.0.2 to 2.0.0.3
Name: Alexander Wijnhamer Email: arvwijnhameratlycosdotnl Product: Firefox Summary: Update from 2.0.0.2 to 2.0.0.3 Comments: I get a pop-up that: "Firefox was unable to verify the integrity of the incremental update it downloaded, so it is now downloading the complete update package" However the counter is at 4 of 4 kb and has been for 5 minutes now. It doesn't seem to be doing anything. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.2) Gecko/20070219 Firefox/2.0.0.2 ...

Update between 2.0.0.2 and 2.0.0.3
Name: John P Wright Email: klemnoctraatyahoodotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Update between 2.0.0.2 and 2.0.0.3 Comments: I have been reminded at regular intervals ( when online) by a pop up indicating that upgrade to 2.0.0.3 is recommended. I have now performed this exercise twice but the reminder pop up keeps re-appearing. Also the 'about Mozilla Firefox' tab persists in indicating that I am running 2.0.0.2 The update appeared in both cases to download and update without error or information on any problem found. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win...

Upgrading from 2.0.0.3 to 2.0.0.2???
Hi all, My Firefox was upgraded to 2.0.0.3 last week. However, last night I got a pop-up window informing me that I have just received 2.0.0.2 as an update. What is going on? Regards, alex ozgwei@gmail.com wrote: > Hi all, > > My Firefox was upgraded to 2.0.0.3 last week. > > However, last night I got a pop-up window informing me that I have > just received 2.0.0.2 as an update. > > What is going on? > > Regards, > alex > Did you have 2.0.0.2 and updated to 2.0.0.3, and are not getting messages about 2.0.0.2? Lee ...

2.0.0.2 to 2.0.0.3 update failure #2
Name: firefox_fan Product: Firefox Summary: 2.0.0.2 to 2.0.0.3 update failure Comments: The new update fails to install other than in admin mode (Windows XP SP2). Now every time I start Firefox (other than admin mode), it tries to update but fails due to lack of privileges. Let me know how to over come this problem. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.2) Gecko/20070219 Firefox/2.0.0.2 ...

Firefox 2.0.0.4 and Thunderbird 2.0.0.4
Name: Steven C. Stacy Email: bigmosteve_57atwildbluedotnet Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox 2.0.0.4 and Thunderbird 2.0.0.4 Comments: I have been a programmer for 30 years. I just upgraded to the versions on Firefox and Thunderbird listed in the subject line. I think these versions are very buggy. Firefox's password manager doesn't work and even with the link "http://hendrix.mozilla.org" work around link to "force autocomplete=off doesn't do the trick. Thunderbird can get my e-mail but keeps asking for one on the accounts password. When I ca...

Vista- going from 2.0.0.7 to 2.0.0.8
Name: Jim Email: nn7kexk7zfgatsbcglobaldotnet Product: Firefox Summary: Vista- going from 2.0.0.7 to 2.0.0.8 Comments: Sez it has installed 2.0.0.8, , asks for relaunch, and doesn't upgrade to the 2.0.0.8 software! (2.0.0.7 DOESN'T crash)! Useing Windows Vista Home Basic, as an administrator. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.8.1.7) Gecko/20070914 Firefox/2.0.0.7 ...

Update downgraded 2.0.0.23 to 2.0.0.19
Name: Olof Gardell Email: olofdotgardellatsweproddotse Product: Thunderbird Summary: Update downgraded 2.0.0.23 to 2.0.0.19 Comments: After downloading and installing 2.0.0.23 the automatic update started to download 2.0.0.19 and it even installed it. I have had an earlier version installed before but that one was uninstalled previous to installing .23 Later I searched for updates and it fount .23 and downloaded and installed it. :-) Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; sv-SE; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10 From URL: http://hendrix.mo...

2.0.0.2 to 2.0.0.3 update failure
Name: firefox_fan Product: Firefox Summary: 2.0.0.2 to 2.0.0.3 update failure Comments: The new update fails to install other than in admin mode (Windows XP SP2). Now every time I start Firefox (other than admin mode), it tries to update but fails due to lack of privileges. Let me know how to over come this problem. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.2) Gecko/20070219 Firefox/2.0.0.2 ...

Buggy firefox 2.0.0.2 and 2.0.0.3
Name: badidea Email: very_bad_ideaathotmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Buggy firefox 2.0.0.2 and 2.0.0.3 Comments: I don't know what changed since 2.0.0.1 but the new releases (2.0.0.2, 2.0.0.3) seem very buggy. Random crashes, slow responses and additionally problems with administrator rights. I had similar problems on 2 out of 2 systems. Best solution for me (and probably a lot of other users) is to go back to 2.0.0.1 and disable automatic update. Success! Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.1) Gecko/20061204 Firefox/2....

2.0.0.12 and 2.0.0.13
Name: Tom Kreaseck Email: divertoatyahoodotcom Product: Firefox Summary: 2.0.0.12 and 2.0.0.13 Comments: I changed over to Firefox two or three years ago, I don't exactly remember. Nor, have I cared as I have been very, very satisfied with the versions prior to 2.0.0.12. The current program is very unstable now whereas it was very stable prior to 2.0.0.12. I, obviously, as noted, have a Yahoo email. When I close a tab with my Yahoo email 'active or closed' it always crashes Firefox. Now I took my time to discover somewhere in your forum or blogs a fix for this...

0.0.0.0 ????
Obviously a local IP, but what are its functions/purpose? Thanks for educating the uneducated. In article <MPG.18bf7ade16e851cb989680@news.grc.com>, shr@p.com says... > > > Obviously a local IP, but what are its functions/purpose? > > Thanks for educating the uneducated. > Any available adapter - i.e. not bound to specific IP address. -- Bloated Elvis In article <MPG.18bf7ade16e851cb989680@news.grc.com>, shr@p.com says... > > > Obviously a local IP, but what are its functions/purpose? > > Thanks for educating the une...

Web resources about - 2.0.0.18 and 2.0.0.19 hang on my vista 64 bit installation - mozilla.support.thunderbird

Installation art - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Installation art describes an artistic genre of three-dimensional works that are often site-specific and designed to transform the perception ...

Installation Magazine for iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPod touch (3rd generation), iPod ...
Get Installation Magazine on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Typical Solar Installation - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
... This is a newly constructed home with near total solar covering. Hi Tim, I have published this nice picture by you, ofa home with solar installation, ...

Adobe pushes scareware with Flash Player installation - YouTube
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/adobes-latest-critical-security-update-pushes-scareware/4681 If you manually install the latest version of Flash ...

Telstra in dispute with customer over costly landline installation
Would you pay $5931.90 for the installation of a landline in a suburban area?