"Cloning" an email account

Is there a way to "clone" an email account, i.e. create a new account
based on the settings of an existing account, so that one only has to
change a few parameters in the new account, rather than going through
all the settings individually?

Thank you.

--
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslations.uk

On 3/10/2017 10:16 AM, Herb@UK wrote:
> Is there a way to "clone" an email account, i.e. create a new account
> based on the settings of an existing account, so that one only has to
> change a few parameters in the new account, rather than going through
> all the settings individually?
>
> Thank you.

This really does not work because each account is represented in your
Thunderbird profile by a set of preferences.  For example, with two
E-mail accounts, three newsgroup accounts, an RSS feed, and the
mandatory "local folders", I have the following preference variables in
prefs.js:
mail.identity.id*.archive_folder
mail.identity.id*.attach_signature
mail.identity.id*.compose_html
mail.identity.id*.fullName
etc, etc, where the * is all of the numbers 1-7, each number
representing a different account.  You would have to manually create new
preference variables for the new account, each with values specific to
the new account.  Also, there are not only variables in the set of
mail.identity.id but quite a few others that might not be readily
determined.

If the account is really the same but with a different E-mail address,
consider creating another identity within the existing account.  In this
case, you will also have to add the new address to the setup at the
E-mail service.

If this will truly be a different account, have you tried Thunderbird's
automatic setup capability?  This works for most major E-mail services.

Finally, you can create a new Thunderbird profile.  With Thunderbird
terminated, you can then open the folder for the new profile and delete
all of its contents.  Then you can copy all of the contents of the
folder for your old profile into the folder for the new profile.  In the
process you will copy all old messages, filters, passwords, preferences,
etc.  Then, you relaunch Thuderbird and edit the account in the new
profile.  Frankly, I think manually creating a new account is much more
simple.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Paraphrasing Mark Twain, who was quoting someone else:
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and
alternative truths.
0
David
3/10/2017 7:36:13 PM
On 10.03.2017 19:36, David E. Ross wrote:
> On 3/10/2017 10:16 AM, Herb@UK wrote:
>> Is there a way to "clone" an email account, i.e. create a new account
>> based on the settings of an existing account, so that one only has to
>> change a few parameters in the new account, rather than going through
>> all the settings individually?
>>
>> Thank you.
>
> This really does not work because each account is represented in your
> Thunderbird profile by a set of preferences.  For example, with two
> E-mail accounts, three newsgroup accounts, an RSS feed, and the
> mandatory "local folders", I have the following preference variables in
> prefs.js:
> mail.identity.id*.archive_folder
> mail.identity.id*.attach_signature
> mail.identity.id*.compose_html
> mail.identity.id*.fullName
> etc, etc, where the * is all of the numbers 1-7, each number
> representing a different account.  You would have to manually create new
> preference variables for the new account, each with values specific to
> the new account.  Also, there are not only variables in the set of
> mail.identity.id but quite a few others that might not be readily
> determined.
>
> If the account is really the same but with a different E-mail address,
> consider creating another identity within the existing account.  In this
> case, you will also have to add the new address to the setup at the
> E-mail service.
>
> If this will truly be a different account, have you tried Thunderbird's
> automatic setup capability?  This works for most major E-mail services.
>
> Finally, you can create a new Thunderbird profile.  With Thunderbird
> terminated, you can then open the folder for the new profile and delete
> all of its contents.  Then you can copy all of the contents of the
> folder for your old profile into the folder for the new profile.  In the
> process you will copy all old messages, filters, passwords, preferences,
> etc.  Then, you relaunch Thuderbird and edit the account in the new
> profile.  Frankly, I think manually creating a new account is much more
> simple.

Thanks for your comprehensive and helpful reply. I had forgotten about
the option to create another identity within an existing account :-[

--
Herbert Eppel
www.HETranslations.uk