Yet another question, about right click menu

Okay, yes, I'm a pest.  Sorry.

I'm wondering if there is a way to add "Word Count" to the right click
menu in SM. I can't find a way, after searching on the web.

As always, thanks.
0
Jeffrey
5/25/2018 12:34:45 AM
mozilla.support.seamonkey 13137 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Thu, 24 May 2018 17:34:45 -0700 (PDT), _Jeffrey Needle_:

> I'm wondering if there is a way to add "Word Count" to the right click
> menu in SM. I can't find a way, after searching on the web.

What's the context of the right-click you're up to – web page, mail
message, other?  Would it be available only for selected text, or
complete web page/mail message also?  Could you give a reference/example
of another software which already does it, like another browser or user
extension to it?

It is certainly possible to add such item to SeaMonkey context menus,
though I'm not aware of existing add-on/extension which does the exact
thing you're after.

--
Stanimir
0
On Friday, May 25, 2018 at 4:48:57 PM UTC+8, Stanimir Stamenkov wrote:
> Thu, 24 May 2018 17:34:45 -0700 (PDT), _Jeffrey Needle_:
>=20
> > I'm wondering if there is a way to add "Word Count" to the right click
> > menu in SM. I can't find a way, after searching on the web.
>=20
> What's the context of the right-click you're up to =E2=80=93 web page, ma=
il=20
> message, other?  Would it be available only for selected text, or=20
> complete web page/mail message also?  Could you give a reference/example=
=20
> of another software which already does it, like another browser or user=
=20
> extension to it?
>=20
> It is certainly possible to add such item to SeaMonkey context menus,=20
> though I'm not aware of existing add-on/extension which does the exact=20
> thing you're after.
>=20
> --=20
> Stanimir

What I'm hoping to do is to be able to insert frequently-used text snippets=
=20
into an email, and also in a Composer document.  I'd love to be able to get=
=20
word count for Composer, but I don't think I'm going to get that.  The abil=
ity=20
to insert the date into an email would also be helpful.  Thanks.

Incidentally, I can do a lot of this in Tbird.  I'm assuming the extensions=
=20
that work in Tbird won't work in SM.
0
Jeffrey
5/25/2018 10:28:52 PM
Jeffrey Needle wrote:

> What I'm hoping to do is to be able to insert frequently-used text
> snippets into an email, and also in a Composer document. I'd love to
> be able to get word count for Composer, but I don't think I'm going
> to get that. The ability to insert the date into an email would also
> be helpful. Thanks.
>
> Incidentally, I can do a lot of this in Tbird.  I'm assuming the
> extensions that work in Tbird won't work in SM.

 From the sound of it, you should be composing in a word processor,
which is designed with these features plus spell-checking. When you're
done, copy/paste to a text editor like Notepad to remove all the crud,
and then copy/paste from there to your HTML editor for formatting.

You can still do minor revisions in your HTML editor, but realistically
that's not what they're designed for. To work with large volumes of
text, use a tool designed for that.

Paul B. Gallagher

0
Paul
5/25/2018 10:45:43 PM
Jeffrey Needle wrote:
> On Friday, May 25, 2018 at 4:48:57 PM UTC+8, Stanimir Stamenkov wrote:
>> Thu, 24 May 2018 17:34:45 -0700 (PDT), _Jeffrey Needle_:
>>
>>> I'm wondering if there is a way to add "Word Count" to the right click
>>> menu in SM. I can't find a way, after searching on the web.
>>
>> What's the context of the right-click you're up to – web page, mail
>> message, other?  Would it be available only for selected text, or
>> complete web page/mail message also?  Could you give a reference/example
>> of another software which already does it, like another browser or user
>> extension to it?
>>
>> It is certainly possible to add such item to SeaMonkey context menus,
>> though I'm not aware of existing add-on/extension which does the exact
>> thing you're after.
>>
>> --
>> Stanimir
>
> What I'm hoping to do is to be able to insert frequently-used text snippets
> into an email, and also in a Composer document.  I'd love to be able to get
> word count for Composer, but I don't think I'm going to get that.  The ability
> to insert the date into an email would also be helpful.  Thanks.
>
> Incidentally, I can do a lot of this in Tbird.  I'm assuming the extensions
> that work in Tbird won't work in SM.

Actually a T-Bird might work as there is a common code base.  If not
as-is a T-Bird extension might work after being processed by the same
converter used on FireFox extensions.

Dave
0
David
5/25/2018 10:57:01 PM
On Saturday, May 26, 2018 at 6:45:45 AM UTC+8, Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
> Jeffrey Needle wrote:
>
> > What I'm hoping to do is to be able to insert frequently-used text
> > snippets into an email, and also in a Composer document. I'd love to
> > be able to get word count for Composer, but I don't think I'm going
> > to get that. The ability to insert the date into an email would also
> > be helpful. Thanks.
> >
> > Incidentally, I can do a lot of this in Tbird.  I'm assuming the
> > extensions that work in Tbird won't work in SM.
>
>  From the sound of it, you should be composing in a word processor,
> which is designed with these features plus spell-checking. When you're
> done, copy/paste to a text editor like Notepad to remove all the crud,
> and then copy/paste from there to your HTML editor for formatting.
>
> You can still do minor revisions in your HTML editor, but realistically
> that's not what they're designed for. To work with large volumes of
> text, use a tool designed for that.
>
> --
> War doesn't determine who's right, just who's left.
> --
> Paul B. Gallagher

I suppose this is right.  I do have LibreOffice installed on the
same Linux box.  I was hoping to do everything under one roof.

Thanks.
0
Jeffrey
5/26/2018 3:08:29 AM
On Saturday, May 26, 2018 at 6:57:06 AM UTC+8, David H. Durgee wrote:
> Jeffrey Needle wrote:
> > On Friday, May 25, 2018 at 4:48:57 PM UTC+8, Stanimir Stamenkov wrote:
> >> Thu, 24 May 2018 17:34:45 -0700 (PDT), _Jeffrey Needle_:

> >> What's the context of the right-click you're up to =E2=80=93 web page,=
 mail
> >> message, other?  Would it be available only for selected text, or
> >> complete web page/mail message also?  Could you give a reference/examp=
le
> >> of another software which already does it, like another browser or use=
> >> extension to it?
> >>
> >> It is certainly possible to add such item to SeaMonkey context menus,
> >> though I'm not aware of existing add-on/extension which does the exact
> >> thing you're after.
> >>
> >> --=20
> >> Stanimir
> >=20
> > What I'm hoping to do is to be able to insert frequently-used text snip=
pets
> > into an email, and also in a Composer document.  I'd love to be able to=
 get
> > word count for Composer, but I don't think I'm going to get that.  The =
ability
> > to insert the date into an email would also be helpful.  Thanks.
> >=20
> > Incidentally, I can do a lot of this in Tbird.  I'm assuming the extens=
ions
> > that work in Tbird won't work in SM.
> >=20
>=20
> Actually a T-Bird might work as there is a common code base.  If not=20
> as-is a T-Bird extension might work after being processed by the same=20
> converter used on FireFox extensions.
>=20
> Dave

My goodness. Way above my pay grade.  I'll await further
competence on my part.  Thanks.
0
Jeffrey
5/26/2018 3:09:14 AM
Jeffrey Needle wrote:
> On Saturday, May 26, 2018 at 6:45:45 AM UTC+8, Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
>> Jeffrey Needle wrote:
>>
>>> What I'm hoping to do is to be able to insert frequently-used text
>>> snippets into an email, and also in a Composer document. I'd love to
>>> be able to get word count for Composer, but I don't think I'm going
>>> to get that. The ability to insert the date into an email would also
>>> be helpful. Thanks.
>>>
>>> Incidentally, I can do a lot of this in Tbird.  I'm assuming the
>>> extensions that work in Tbird won't work in SM.
>>
>>   From the sound of it, you should be composing in a word processor,
>> which is designed with these features plus spell-checking. When you're
>> done, copy/paste to a text editor like Notepad to remove all the crud,
>> and then copy/paste from there to your HTML editor for formatting.
>>
>> You can still do minor revisions in your HTML editor, but realistically
>> that's not what they're designed for. To work with large volumes of
>> text, use a tool designed for that.
>>
>> --
>> War doesn't determine who's right, just who's left.
>> --
>> Paul B. Gallagher
>
> I suppose this is right.  I do have LibreOffice installed on the
> same Linux box.  I was hoping to do everything under one roof.
>
> Thanks.

Yes, Paul, I have the same....

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0
SeaMonkey/2.49.3
Build identifier: 20180403170715

Fedora 20 Linux
0