why won't SM 2.49.3 remember where local folders are?

Well... this has been long running. I can't recollect when it started
but Seamonkey doesn't like it when I direct it to find Local Folders on
a separate sata drive from the main C: drive.... I have many GB of mail
history and really don't want it on my smallish C: drive in my latest
re-installation of my desktop...

any ideas? am I correct this used to work?

sean
--
still missing tagzilla
0

On 6/10/18 3:07 PM, sean wrote:
> Well... this has been long running. I can't recollect when it started
> but Seamonkey doesn't like it when I direct it to find Local Folders on
> a separate sata drive from the main C: drive.... I have many GB of mail
> history and really don't want it on my smallish C: drive in my latest
> re-installation of my desktop...
>
> any ideas? am I correct this used to work?
>
> sean

Don't know what you mean.

Need exact steps to reproduce.

RAM: 8 GiB
Graphics: GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2
OS: Ubuntu Linux 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop
0
WaltS48
6/10/2018 11:56:48 PM
WaltS48 wrote:
> On 6/10/18 3:07 PM, sean wrote:
>> Well... this has been long running. I can't recollect when it started
>> but Seamonkey doesn't like it when I direct it to find Local Folders
>> on a separate sata drive from the main C: drive.... I have many GB of
>> mail history and really don't want it on my smallish C: drive in my
>> latest re-installation of my desktop...
>>
>> any ideas? am I correct this used to work?
>>
>> sean
>
> Don't know what you mean.
>
> Need exact steps to reproduce.

my machine has a C: drive for programs, and an F: and G: drive for
backup storage. In the past I have always directed the local folders to
one or the other of the storage drives where all archives are kept.

for while now, whenever I reboot the machine, the local folders has lost
contact with the path to the storage drive that is selected in Account
Settings: /media/sean/7DCF1DCD6715DC30/local folders

sean--

0
sean
6/11/2018 1:10:52 AM
On 6/10/18 9:10 PM, sean wrote:
> WaltS48 wrote:
>> On 6/10/18 3:07 PM, sean wrote:
>>> Well... this has been long running. I can't recollect when it started
>>> but Seamonkey doesn't like it when I direct it to find Local Folders
>>> on a separate sata drive from the main C: drive.... I have many GB of
>>> mail history and really don't want it on my smallish C: drive in my
>>> latest re-installation of my desktop...
>>>
>>> any ideas? am I correct this used to work?
>>>
>>> sean
>>
>> Don't know what you mean.
>>
>> Need exact steps to reproduce.
>>

> my machine has a C: drive for programs, and an F: and G: drive for
> backup storage. In the past I have always directed the local folders to
> one or the other of the storage drives where all archives are kept.
>
> for while now, whenever I reboot the machine, the local folders has lost
> contact with the path to the storage drive that is selected in Account
> Settings: /media/sean/7DCF1DCD6715DC30/local folders
>
> sean--

Maybe you need to add an F: or G: to  /media/sean/7DCF1DCD6715DC30/local
folders?

So it is F:/media/sean/7DCF1DCD6715DC30/local folders or G:

RAM: 8 GiB
Graphics: GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2
OS: Ubuntu Linux 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop
0
WaltS48
6/11/2018 1:27:45 AM
sean wrote:
> WaltS48 wrote:
>> On 6/10/18 3:07 PM, sean wrote:
>>> Well... this has been long running. I can't recollect when it started
>>> but Seamonkey doesn't like it when I direct it to find Local Folders
>>> on a separate sata drive from the main C: drive.... I have many GB of
>>> mail history and really don't want it on my smallish C: drive in my
>>> latest re-installation of my desktop...
>>>
>>> any ideas? am I correct this used to work?
>>>
>>> sean
>>
>> Don't know what you mean.
>>
>> Need exact steps to reproduce.
>>

> my machine has a C: drive for programs, and an F: and G: drive for
> backup storage. In the past I have always directed the local folders to
> one or the other of the storage drives where all archives are kept.
>
> for while now, whenever I reboot the machine, the local folders has lost
> contact with the path to the storage drive that is selected in Account
> Settings: /media/sean/7DCF1DCD6715DC30/local folders

Which operating system are you attempting to do this from? Mention of
C:, F: and G: drives looks like Windows, but /media/sean/... looks like
a Linux path. Your user-agent header also indicates that you're posting
from Linux, although that may not be the system you're having problems with.

If Linux, it may be worth checking that the disk is mounted before
starting SeaMonkey.

If you're attempting to share a single SeaMonkey profile between both
Windows and Linux, that won't work - particularly in this case where
there are paths which need to be specified differently on the two systems.

--
Mark.

0
mozilla
6/11/2018 5:58:41 PM
mozilla-lists.mbourne@spamgourmet.com wrote on 12/06/18 03:58:
> sean wrote:
>> WaltS48 wrote:

>>> Don't know what you mean.
>>>
>>> Need exact steps to reproduce.
>>>

>> my machine has a C: drive for programs, and an F: and G: drive for
>> backup storage. In the past I have always directed the local folders
>> to one or the other of the storage drives where all archives are kept.
>>
>> for while now, whenever I reboot the machine, the local folders has
>> lost contact with the path to the storage drive that is selected in
>> Account Settings: /media/sean/7DCF1DCD6715DC30/local folders
>
> Which operating system are you attempting to do this from? Mention of
> C:, F: and G: drives looks like Windows, but /media/sean/... looks like
> a Linux path. Your user-agent header also indicates that you're posting
> from Linux, although that may not be the system you're having problems
> with.
>
> If Linux, it may be worth checking that the disk is mounted before
> starting SeaMonkey.
>
> If you're attempting to share a single SeaMonkey profile between both
> Windows and Linux, that won't work - particularly in this case where
> there are paths which need to be specified differently on the two systems.

Well, not the case, sort of!! As my sig file indicates, I run SeaMonkey
on both Win7 and MangiaLinux. Of course, both OS's have their related
Profile files with-in their OS set-ups, but the E-mail, News Group and
Bookmark files are stored on my Win7 E:\.

--
Daniel

SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171016030418

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623
0
Daniel
6/12/2018 7:52:42 AM
mozilla-lists.mbourne@spamgourmet.com wrote:
> sean wrote:
>> WaltS48 wrote:

>>> Don't know what you mean.
>>>
>>> Need exact steps to reproduce.
>>>

>> my machine has a C: drive for programs, and an F: and G: drive for
>> backup storage. In the past I have always directed the local folders
>> to one or the other of the storage drives where all archives are kept.
>>
>> for while now, whenever I reboot the machine, the local folders has
>> lost contact with the path to the storage drive that is selected in
>> Account Settings: /media/sean/7DCF1DCD6715DC30/local folders
>
> Which operating system are you attempting to do this from? Mention of
> C:, F: and G: drives looks like Windows, but /media/sean/... looks like
> a Linux path. Your user-agent header also indicates that you're posting
> from Linux, although that may not be the system you're having problems
> with.
>
> If Linux, it may be worth checking that the disk is mounted before
> starting SeaMonkey.
>
> If you're attempting to share a single SeaMonkey profile between both
> Windows and Linux, that won't work - particularly in this case where
> there are paths which need to be specified differently on the two systems.

While I run both Win10 and PeppermintOS Linux... I only access SM from
within linux... pardon my dominate windows terminology.

My machine mounts all drives at start up... it's a trivial thing to link
Seamonkey back to the proper drive... just wonder why the settings don't
"stick"

sean
--
who assumes tagzilla is like the Norwegian Parrot... no more...

--
"The purpose of life, is to be happy."
       ~ Dalai Lama XIV

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
       ~ Abraham Lincoln
0
sean
6/22/2018 2:28:37 AM
Daniel wrote on 06/12/2018 12:52 AM:
> mozilla-lists.mbourne@spamgourmet.com wrote on 12/06/18 03:58:
>> sean wrote:

>>> my machine has a C: drive for programs, and an F: and G: drive for
>>> backup storage. In the past I have always directed the local folders
>>> to one or the other of the storage drives where all archives are kept.
>>>
>>> for while now, whenever I reboot the machine, the local folders has
>>> lost contact with the path to the storage drive that is selected in
>>> Account Settings: /media/sean/7DCF1DCD6715DC30/local folders
>>
>> Which operating system are you attempting to do this from? Mention of
>> C:, F: and G: drives looks like Windows, but /media/sean/... looks
>> like a Linux path. Your user-agent header also indicates that you're
>> posting from Linux, although that may not be the system you're having
>> problems with.
>>
>> If Linux, it may be worth checking that the disk is mounted before
>> starting SeaMonkey.
>>
>> If you're attempting to share a single SeaMonkey profile between both
>> Windows and Linux, that won't work - particularly in this case where
>> there are paths which need to be specified differently on the two
>> systems.
>>
> Well, not the case, sort of!! As my sig file indicates, I run SeaMonkey
> on both Win7 and MangiaLinux. Of course, both OS's have their related
> Profile files with-in their OS set-ups, but the E-mail, News Group and
> Bookmark files are stored on my Win7 E:\.

Precisely @Daniel... I know i have succeeded in this previously, even
accessing the same e'mail archive from Seamonkey setup in a dual boot of
WinXP & PeppermintOne

I bit the bullet and moved my local folders to my main ssd drive drive.
Now, Seamonkey refuses to honor the directive to file archived mail in a
separately specified local folders. Instead SM keeps recreating an
archives within the specific email account. In this case an
sean@x&@live.com pop3 setup.

Is there a file or folder I need to delete to force the settings I have
chosen?

sean
--
"The purpose of life, is to be happy."
       ~ Dalai Lama XIV

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
       ~ Abraham Lincoln
0
sean
6/22/2018 11:06:27 PM
sean wrote:

> Precisely @Daniel... I know i have succeeded in this previously, even
> accessing the same e'mail archive from Seamonkey setup in a dual boot of
> WinXP & PeppermintOne
>
> I bit the bullet and moved my local folders to my main ssd drive drive.
> Now, Seamonkey refuses to honor the directive to file archived mail in a
> separately specified local folders. Instead SM keeps recreating an
> archives within the specific email account. In this case an
> sean@x&@live.com pop3 setup.
>
> Is there a file or folder I need to delete to force the settings I have
> chosen?

How are you issuing the "directive to file archived mail in a separately
specified local folder"? The usual way is, for each mail account, go to
Mail & Newsgroups Account Settings | <account name> | Copies and Folders
and specify it under
[x] Keep messages archived in:
(o) "Archives" Folder on [Local Folders]
(•) Other Folder: [Choose Folder...]

Are these settings correct on your machine? Or is SM getting confused
because Windows and Linux specify folders differently?

Paul B. Gallagher

0
Paul
6/22/2018 11:16:04 PM
Paul B. Gallagher wrote on 06/22/2018 04:16 PM:
> sean wrote:
>
>> Precisely @Daniel... I know i have succeeded in this previously, even
>> accessing the same e'mail archive from Seamonkey setup in a dual boot
>> of WinXP & PeppermintOne
>>
>> I bit the bullet and moved my local folders to my main ssd drive
>> drive. Now, Seamonkey refuses to honor the directive to file archived
>> mail in a separately specified local folders. Instead SM keeps
>> recreating an archives within the specific email account. In this case
>> an sean@x&@live.com pop3 setup.
>>
>> Is there a file or folder I need to delete to force the settings I
>> have chosen?
>
> How are you issuing the "directive to file archived mail in a separately
> specified local folder"? The usual way is, for each mail account, go to
> Mail & Newsgroups Account Settings | <account name> | Copies and Folders
> and specify it under
> [x] Keep messages archived in:
> (o) "Archives" Folder on [Local Folders]
> (•) Other Folder: [Choose Folder...]
>
> Are these settings correct on your machine? Or is SM getting confused
> because Windows and Linux specify folders differently?

Yes... long time Seamonkey user and this is precisely how & where I have
always specified a separate drive for my Seamonkey installation to find
and utilize Local Folders. I have never wanted the local folders archive
to remain on the main drive.

Am just baffled why this is broken in Linux... I use Peppermint 9 which
is derivative of Ubuntu/Lubuntu

sean
--
"The purpose of life, is to be happy."
       ~ Dalai Lama XIV

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
       ~ Abraham Lincoln
0
sean
6/23/2018 9:37:46 PM
sean wrote on 06/22/2018 04:06 PM:
> Daniel wrote on 06/12/2018 12:52 AM:
>> mozilla-lists.mbourne@spamgourmet.com wrote on 12/06/18 03:58:

>>> Which operating system are you attempting to do this from? Mention of
>>> C:, F: and G: drives looks like Windows, but /media/sean/... looks
>>> like a Linux path. Your user-agent header also indicates that you're
>>> posting from Linux, although that may not be the system you're having
>>> problems with.
>>>
>>> If Linux, it may be worth checking that the disk is mounted before
>>> starting SeaMonkey.
>>>
>>> If you're attempting to share a single SeaMonkey profile between both
>>> Windows and Linux, that won't work - particularly in this case where
>>> there are paths which need to be specified differently on the two
>>> systems.
>>>
>> Well, not the case, sort of!! As my sig file indicates, I run
>> SeaMonkey on both Win7 and MangiaLinux. Of course, both OS's have
>> their related Profile files with-in their OS set-ups, but the E-mail,
>> News Group and Bookmark files are stored on my Win7 E:\.
>>

> Precisely @Daniel... I know i have succeeded in this previously, even
> accessing the same e'mail archive from Seamonkey setup in a dual boot of
> WinXP & PeppermintOne
>
> I bit the bullet and moved my local folders to my main ssd drive drive.
> Now, Seamonkey refuses to honor the directive to file archived mail in a
> separately specified local folders. Instead SM keeps recreating an
> archives within the specific email account. In this case an
> sean@x&@live.com pop3 setup.
>
> Is there a file or folder I need to delete to force the settings I have
> chosen?
>
> sean

well this wrong archive behaviour self-resolved with a complete close of
program and being shut down over night...

--
sean nathan bean
  ~ requires all to bring us a shrubbery!

"The purpose of life, is to be happy."
       ~ Dalai Lama XIV

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
       ~ Abraham Lincoln
0
sean
6/24/2018 10:29:36 PM
sean wrote on 25/06/2018 8:29 AM:
> sean wrote on 06/22/2018 04:06 PM:
>> Daniel wrote on 06/12/2018 12:52 AM:

>>> Well, not the case, sort of!! As my sig file indicates, I run
>>> SeaMonkey on both Win7 and MangiaLinux. Of course, both OS's have
>>> their related Profile files with-in their OS set-ups, but the E-mail,
>>> News Group and Bookmark files are stored on my Win7 E:\.
>>>

>> Precisely @Daniel... I know i have succeeded in this previously, even
>> accessing the same e'mail archive from Seamonkey setup in a dual boot
>> of WinXP & PeppermintOne
>>
>> I bit the bullet and moved my local folders to my main ssd drive
>> drive. Now, Seamonkey refuses to honor the directive to file archived
>> mail in a separately specified local folders. Instead SM keeps
>> recreating an archives within the specific email account. In this case
>> an sean@x&@live.com pop3 setup.
>>
>> Is there a file or folder I need to delete to force the settings I
>> have chosen?
>>
>> sean
>
> well this wrong archive behaviour self-resolved with a complete close of
> program and being shut down over night...

Glad to hear, sean, 'cause, as I read this reply, it sprung into my mind
that, some time ago (Netscape Suite, Mozilla Suite, maybe) the program
required that the Profile be Write Accessible (i.e. not Read Only)
before it would function properly, so I thought your choice of a SSD
drive might be the problem.

But all's well that ends well!! ;-)

--
Daniel

SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171016030418

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623
0
Daniel
6/25/2018 4:14:08 AM
Daniel wrote on 06/24/2018 09:14 PM:
> sean wrote on 25/06/2018 8:29 AM:
>> sean wrote on 06/22/2018 04:06 PM:

>>> Precisely @Daniel... I know i have succeeded in this previously, even
>>> accessing the same e'mail archive from Seamonkey setup in a dual boot
>>> of WinXP & PeppermintOne
>>>
>>> I bit the bullet and moved my local folders to my main ssd drive
>>> drive. Now, Seamonkey refuses to honor the directive to file archived
>>> mail in a separately specified local folders. Instead SM keeps
>>> recreating an archives within the specific email account. In this
>>> case an sean@x&@live.com pop3 setup.
>>>
>>> Is there a file or folder I need to delete to force the settings I
>>> have chosen?
>>>
>>> sean
>>
>> well this wrong archive behaviour self-resolved with a complete close
>> of program and being shut down over night...
>>
> Glad to hear, sean, 'cause, as I read this reply, it sprung into my mind
> that, some time ago (Netscape Suite, Mozilla Suite, maybe) the program
> required that the Profile be Write Accessible (i.e. not Read Only)
> before it would function properly, so I thought your choice of a SSD
> drive might be the problem.
>
> But all's well that ends well!! ;-)

well.... I dunno why my NVMe ssd drive would be any different read/write
wise than the two mechanical spinning disks which I keep for back up
storage? All three get mounted at boot.

The original problem was Seamonkey no remembering the path to either of
the mechanical drives. That problem remains.

Today, one of my accounts is not honoring my setting the path to archive
messages in Local Folders, and is instead archiving within it's
account... once again it's the live/outlook account.

--
sean nathan bean
  ~ requires all to bring us a shrubbery!

"The purpose of life, is to be happy."
       ~ Dalai Lama XIV

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
       ~ Abraham Lincoln
0
sean
6/26/2018 9:17:43 PM
sean wrote on 06/10/2018 12:07 PM:
> Well... this has been long running. I can't recollect when it started
> but Seamonkey doesn't like it when I direct it to find Local Folders on
> a separate sata drive from the main C: drive.... I have many GB of mail
> history and really don't want it on my smallish C: drive in my latest
> re-installation of my desktop...
>
> any ideas? am I correct this used to work?
>
> sean

Now I wonder... after reading this article...

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbird_:_FAQs_:_Changing_Profile_Folder_Location

Am I misremembering about relocating my local folders and should I be
relocating my entire profile?

--
sean nathan bean
  ~ requires all to bring us a shrubbery!

"The purpose of life, is to be happy."
       ~ Dalai Lama XIV

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
       ~ Abraham Lincoln
0
sean
6/26/2018 10:27:49 PM
sean wrote on 06/26/2018 02:17 PM:
> Daniel wrote on 06/24/2018 09:14 PM:
>> sean wrote on 25/06/2018 8:29 AM:

>>> well this wrong archive behaviour self-resolved with a complete close
>>> of program and being shut down over night...
>>>
>> Glad to hear, sean, 'cause, as I read this reply, it sprung into my
>> mind that, some time ago (Netscape Suite, Mozilla Suite, maybe) the
>> program required that the Profile be Write Accessible (i.e. not Read
>> Only) before it would function properly, so I thought your choice of a
>> SSD drive might be the problem.
>>
>> But all's well that ends well!! ;-)
>>

> well.... I dunno why my NVMe ssd drive would be any different read/write
> wise than the two mechanical spinning disks which I keep for back up
> storage? All three get mounted at boot.
>
> The original problem was Seamonkey no remembering the path to either of
> the mechanical drives. That problem remains.
>
> Today, one of my accounts is not honoring my setting the path to archive
> messages in Local Folders, and is instead archiving within it's
> account... once again it's the live/outlook account.

e'mail arrived in all four of my connected e'mail accounts a few moments
ago. Send the mail to the archives worked as I have set it up in three
of the accounts. but Not for the Microsoft one. even though all four are
set the same way...

So I did the turn it off turn it on again trick. Set the archive as it
was already acting in the Microsoft account. Closed the browser, opened
it again and set the archives for Local Folders once again...
Closed/Reopened...

and voila, it works as intended once again...

weird...

--
sean nathan bean
  ~ requires all to bring us a shrubbery!

"The purpose of life, is to be happy."
       ~ Dalai Lama XIV

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
       ~ Abraham Lincoln
0
sean
6/26/2018 10:56:17 PM
sean wrote on 27/06/2018 8:56 AM:
> sean wrote on 06/26/2018 02:17 PM:
>> Daniel wrote on 06/24/2018 09:14 PM:

<Snip>

>>> Glad to hear, sean, 'cause, as I read this reply, it sprung into
>>> my mind that, some time ago (Netscape Suite, Mozilla Suite,
>>> maybe) the program required that the Profile be Write Accessible
>>> (i.e. not Read Only) before it would function properly, so I
>>> thought your choice of a SSD drive might be the problem.
>>>
>>> But all's well that ends well!! ;-)
>>
>> well.... I dunno why my NVMe ssd drive would be any different
>> read/write wise than the two mechanical spinning disks which I keep
>>  for back up storage? All three get mounted at boot.
>>
>> The original problem was Seamonkey no remembering the path to
>> either of the mechanical drives. That problem remains.
>>
>> Today, one of my accounts is not honoring my setting the path to
>> archive messages in Local Folders, and is instead archiving within
>>  it's account... once again it's the live/outlook account..
>
> e'mail arrived in all four of my connected e'mail accounts a few
> moments ago. Send the mail to the archives worked as I have set it up
> in three of the accounts. but Not for the Microsoft one. even though
> all four are set the same way...
>
> So I did the turn it off turn it on again trick. Set the archive as
> it was already acting in the Microsoft account. Closed the browser,
> opened it again and set the archives for Local Folders once again...
>  Closed/Reopened...
>
> and voila, it works as intended once again...
>
> weird...

.... or should that be ... "and voila, it works as intended once again...
  *for now* "!!

Try switching off and re-booting a couple of times over the next week or
so and see if things continue to work!
--
Daniel

SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171016030418

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623
0
Daniel
6/27/2018 1:22:45 PM
Daniel wrote on 06/27/2018 06:22 AM:
> sean wrote on 27/06/2018 8:56 AM:
>> sean wrote on 06/26/2018 02:17 PM:
>
> <Snip>

>>> well.... I dunno why my NVMe ssd drive would be any different
>>> read/write wise than the two mechanical spinning disks which I keep
>>>  for back up storage? All three get mounted at boot.
>>>
>>> The original problem was Seamonkey no remembering the path to
>>> either of the mechanical drives. That problem remains.
>>>
>>> Today, one of my accounts is not honoring my setting the path to
>>> archive messages in Local Folders, and is instead archiving within
>>>  it's account... once again it's the live/outlook account..
>>
>> e'mail arrived in all four of my connected e'mail accounts a few
>> moments ago. Send the mail to the archives worked as I have set it up
>> in three of the accounts. but Not for the Microsoft one. even though
>> all four are set the same way...
>>
>> So I did the turn it off turn it on again trick. Set the archive as
>> it was already acting in the Microsoft account. Closed the browser,
>> opened it again and set the archives for Local Folders once again...
>>  Closed/Reopened...
>>
>> and voila, it works as intended once again...
>>
>> weird...
>>
> ... or should that be ... "and voila, it works as intended once again...
>   *for now* "!!
>
> Try switching off and re-booting a couple of times over the next week or
> so and see if things continue to work!

YEP.. there must be some file I need to delete related to the
Microsoft/Outlook account... upon opening the program today, the
archives was once again located in the Outlook account, instead of in
Local Folders...

will try deleting the account and then wait a few days before recreating
it another day...