When will SeaMonkey get Firefox v57's Gecko engine improvements?

I just tried Firefox v57 on a very old 2008 MacBook Pro with its
original HDD, 2 GB of RAM, etc. It runs very slowly softwares with Mac
OS X El Capitan v10.11.6. However, I was surprised how much faster
Firefox v57 was over the previous versions!

When will SeaMonkey get its Gecko improvements? Thank you in advance. :)
--
"To the ant, a few drops of dew is a flood." --Iranian
this signature correctly.

On Tue, 14 Nov 2017 14:09:11 -0800, Ant <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:

>I just tried Firefox v57 on a very old 2008 MacBook Pro with its
>original HDD, 2 GB of RAM, etc. It runs very slowly softwares with Mac
>OS X El Capitan v10.11.6. However, I was surprised how much faster
>Firefox v57 was over the previous versions!
>
>When will SeaMonkey get its Gecko improvements? Thank you in advance. :)

Probably not for a long time.
0
TCW
11/15/2017 1:00:16 AM
On 11/14/2017 5:00 PM, TCW wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Nov 2017 14:09:11 -0800, Ant <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:
>
>> I just tried Firefox v57 on a very old 2008 MacBook Pro with its
>> original HDD, 2 GB of RAM, etc. It runs very slowly softwares with Mac
>> OS X El Capitan v10.11.6. However, I was surprised how much faster
>> Firefox v57 was over the previous versions!
>>
>> When will SeaMonkey get its Gecko improvements? Thank you in advance. :)
>
> Probably not for a long time.

Boo. :(
--
"I am afraid that I am convinced that a community of human beings is a
far more useful thing than a community of ants, and that if the human
this signature correctly.
  | |o   o| |
      ( )               Axe ANT from its address if e-mailing privately.
0
Ant
11/15/2017 4:08:12 AM
On 11/14/2017 10:08 PM, Ant wrote:
> On 11/14/2017 5:00 PM, TCW wrote:
>> On Tue, 14 Nov 2017 14:09:11 -0800, Ant <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I just tried Firefox v57 on a very old 2008 MacBook Pro with its
>>> original HDD, 2 GB of RAM, etc. It runs very slowly softwares with Mac
>>> OS X El Capitan v10.11.6. However, I was surprised how much faster
>>> Firefox v57 was over the previous versions!
>>>
>>> When will SeaMonkey get its Gecko improvements? Thank you in advance. :)
>>
>> Probably not for a long time.
>
> Boo. :(

Yes, it's just the massive amount of catching up SM has to do with even
pre-57 changes. There are so many under-the-hood changes in 57 and
essentially not many people able to work on SM that is the main issue.
So much code has to be ported, re-jiggered and converted that it's just
not like the old day where one could, for the most part, import the code
and it would essentially just work. I'm thankful that anyone is even
working on SM anymore to try and keep it updated against the current FF
changes. Just have to wait patiently. =\
0
TCW
11/15/2017 1:57:37 PM
TCW wrote:
> On 11/14/2017 10:08 PM, Ant wrote:

>>> Probably not for a long time.
>>
>> Boo. :(
>
> Yes, it's just the massive amount of catching up SM has to do with even
> pre-57 changes. There are so many under-the-hood changes in 57 and
> essentially not many people able to work on SM that is the main issue.
> So much code has to be ported, re-jiggered and converted that it's just
> not like the old day where one could, for the most part, import the code
> and it would essentially just work. I'm thankful that anyone is even
> working on SM anymore to try and keep it updated against the current FF
> changes. Just have to wait patiently. =\

It will also mean saying "Good bye" to all of the extensions and add-ons
you've been counting on for years, as the new Quantum engine is a total
re-write of Gecko.  Until ADP changes their time sheet application, I
can't afford to switch to anything past the current state of Seamonkey,
or the Firefox ESR version of their browser.  I like getting paid... it
helps me maintain my addiction of having food on the table and a warm
dry place to sleep at night.

--
Jaime A. Cruz
President

AMA District 34
http://www.AMADistrict34.com/
Freddy's Run
http://www.freddysrun.org/
0
Cruz
11/16/2017 1:13:22 PM
There is some misunderstanding here what Mozilla did with Fx 57.

It is basically a cleanup with some new parts. No big rewrite of
anything. Extensions usually do no longer work not because of new code
but because of code removed and some tightened security. Minor code
changes caused a big impact for extension compatibility.
Not said that they didn't do a good job speeding up Gecko but I already
saw this in 2.53 /56.

And if you take enough code out and switching the user interface to
mostly vector based black and white images with dull gray background and
empty boxes e.g. the add-on manager you get a shiny new fast release.

The next planned release after the last in the ESR 2.49.x branch is 2.56
ESR. If it comes to this it will allow classic extensions to install.
But because of code removals most of them will just no longer work and
would need to be updated.

When running 2.55a1 and a page throws extensive javascript on it it
slows down as it did before. I expect the same with Fx 57. Probably not
so noticeable because of e10s in Fx but for everyday usage I fail to see
the speed improvements. Startup times may be improved if you use a lot
of tabs because fx delays loading them better but if you actually try to
use them ram will go up fast. And if you think every tab is isolated and
runs in its own content process now think again. There are only a few
content processes and some tabs will be use the same. A 2.49.2 x64 on
Windows is pretty darn fast enough for me.

As usual my findings may not be accurate and YMMV

FRG

Cruz, Jaime wrote:
> TCW wrote:
>> On 11/14/2017 10:08 PM, Ant wrote:
>
> It will also mean saying "Good bye" to all of the extensions and add-ons
> you've been counting on for years, as the new Quantum engine is a total
> re-write of Gecko.  Until ADP changes their time sheet application, I
> can't afford to switch to anything past the current state of Seamonkey,
> or the Firefox ESR version of their browser.  I like getting paid... it
> helps me maintain my addiction of having food on the table and a warm
> dry place to sleep at night.

0
Frank