Weird mouse click results

Since I upgraded to 2.46, I've been experiencing weird mouse behavior in
SeaMonkey, but not in my other programs. Anyone else seeing this?

I normally have Mail/News open in three panes: the account/folder list
on the left, the message list at top right, and the preview pane at
bottom right. When a message is selected in the message list, it
displays in the preview pane. I only rarely "open" messages in a
separate window.

Weird results, different from what I'm used to:

1) If I single-click a message to select it in the list, it will often
open in a new window. This new window often replaces the Mail/News
window, so when I thoughtlessly close the message, the whole program
terminates.

2) If I single-click a folder in the account/folder list, a second
instance of Mail/News opens to that folder.

In both cases, SM is acting as if I've double-clicked, but I haven't.
Honest.

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:49.0) Gecko/20100101
Firefox/49.0 SeaMonkey/2.46
(That's Win7 Pro SP1)

Build identifier: 20161213183751

Paul B. Gallagher
0
Paul
1/11/2017 2:06:01 AM
mozilla.support.seamonkey 12126 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On 1/10/2017 8:06 PM, Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
> Since I upgraded to 2.46, I've been experiencing weird mouse
> behavior in SeaMonkey, but not in my other programs. Anyone else
> seeing this?
>
> I normally have Mail/News open in three panes: the account/folder
> list on the left, the message list at top right, and the preview
> pane at bottom right. When a message is selected in the message
> list, it displays in the preview pane. I only rarely "open"
> messages in a separate window.
>
> Weird results, different from what I'm used to:
>
> 1) If I single-click a message to select it in the list, it will
> often open in a new window. This new window often replaces the
> Mail/News window, so when I thoughtlessly close the message, the
> whole program terminates.
>
> 2) If I single-click a folder in the account/folder list, a
> second instance of Mail/News opens to that folder.
>
> In both cases, SM is acting as if I've double-clicked, but I
> haven't. Honest.

I don't have SeaMonkey specific answer.
But I have a suggestion for a simple diagnostic test that may
give a clue.
Set your mouse's double-click speed to be as slow as possible.
In WinXP that is at Start->Control Panel->Mouse
[I don't know where in more current Windows]
This would distinguish between a marginal OS problem fro a
SeaMonkey specific problem.
I.E. I don't know if SeaMonkey is monitoring the button state
itself or acting on the double-click event generated by the OS.
HTH

> User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:49.0)
> Gecko/20100101 Firefox/49.0 SeaMonkey/2.46
> (That's Win7 Pro SP1)
>
> Build identifier: 20161213183751

0
Richard
1/11/2017 11:04:49 AM
Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
> I normally have Mail/News open in three panes: the account/folder list
> on the left, the message list at top right, and the preview pane at
> bottom right.

This sounds the same as my layout, and I'm not seeing this. I normally
just see the message in the preview pane. If I double click the message,
it opens in it's own "1980s" style window, but if I close that new
window, it just goes away, it does not exit the whole of SM.

Is this on Windows - what version?

One pref I noticed is "Edit : Preferences : Mail & Newsgroups : Message
Display". There's an option to open the message in a "new" window or an
"existing" window; not sure what the difference is, but mine says
"existing".

--
Gerry Hickman (London UK)
0
Gerry Hickman wrote:
> Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
>> I normally have Mail/News open in three panes: the account/folder list
>> on the left, the message list at top right, and the preview pane at
>> bottom right.
>
> This sounds the same as my layout, and I'm not seeing this. I normally
> just see the message in the preview pane. If I double click the message,
> it opens in it's own "1980s" style window, but if I close that new
> window, it just goes away, it does not exit the whole of SM.
>
> Is this on Windows - what version?
>
> One pref I noticed is "Edit : Preferences : Mail & Newsgroups : Message
> Display". There's an option to open the message in a "new" window or an
> "existing" window; not sure what the difference is, but mine says
> "existing".

I got the double click on single click when I installed a new bluetooth
mouse, went on the web and found a lot of people had trouble with this
certain one. I sent it in on warranty they fixed it and now it works OK.
It was a SMK=LINK.
JAS

0
JAS
1/11/2017 8:33:29 PM
Gerry Hickman wrote:

> Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
>> I normally have Mail/News open in three panes: the account/folder
>> list on the left, the message list at top right, and the preview
>> pane at bottom right.
>
> This sounds the same as my layout, and I'm not seeing this. I
> normally just see the message in the preview pane. If I double click
> the message, it opens in it's own "1980s" style window, but if I
> close that new window, it just goes away, it does not exit the whole
> of SM.
>
> Is this on Windows - what version?

Uh... did you read my message?

Apparently you didn't. As I said:

>> When a message is selected in the message list, it displays in the
>> preview pane. I only rarely "open" messages in a separate window.

Paul B. Gallagher
0
Paul
1/11/2017 9:38:12 PM
JAS wrote:

> I got the double click on single click when I installed a new
> bluetooth mouse, went on the web and found a lot of people had
> trouble with this certain one. I sent it in on warranty they fixed it
> and now it works OK. It was a SMK=LINK. JAS

OK, but the only thing I've changed is the SM 2.40 to 2.46 upgrade. I
haven't changed any of my prefs, and I haven't changed any of my
hardware or software (other than routine Windows updates).

Paul B. Gallagher

0
Paul
1/11/2017 9:39:32 PM
Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
>> Is this on Windows - what version?
>
> Uh... did you read my message?

Ah, I had read the text, but missed the User Agent string at the end

>>> User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:49.0)

> Apparently you didn't. As I said:

>>> When a message is selected in the message list, it displays in the
>>> preview pane. I only rarely "open" messages in a separate window.

I also use the preview pane, but if I double click, it opens in a new
window, and the preference may be relevant in that case...

--
Gerry Hickman (London UK)
0
Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
> Since I upgraded to 2.46, I've been experiencing weird mouse behavior in
> SeaMonkey, but not in my other programs. Anyone else seeing this?
>
> I normally have Mail/News open in three panes: the account/folder list
> on the left, the message list at top right, and the preview pane at
> bottom right. When a message is selected in the message list, it
> displays in the preview pane. I only rarely "open" messages in a
> separate window.
>
> Weird results, different from what I'm used to:
>
> 1) If I single-click a message to select it in the list, it will often
> open in a new window. This new window often replaces the Mail/News
> window, so when I thoughtlessly close the message, the whole program
> terminates.
>
> 2) If I single-click a folder in the account/folder list, a second
> instance of Mail/News opens to that folder.
>
> In both cases, SM is acting as if I've double-clicked, but I haven't.
> Honest.

First things I'd try are using a different mouse and, if it's a wireless
mouse, replace the batteries. Things like worn switches in the buttons
or low batteries can cause clicks to be interpreted as double-clicks. It
may just be coincidence that something has gone wonky with the mouse
around the same time you upgraded SeaMonkey. Depending what you do in
those other programs, double-clicks may not have such a noticeable
effect even if they do occur, giving the impression that only SeaMonkey
is affected.

--
Mark.

0
mozilla
1/12/2017 9:16:04 PM
mozilla-lists.mbourne@spamgourmet.com wrote:

> First things I'd try are using a different mouse and, if it's a
> wireless mouse, replace the batteries. Things like worn switches in
> the buttons or low batteries can cause clicks to be interpreted as
> double-clicks. It may just be coincidence that something has gone
> wonky with the mouse around the same time you upgraded SeaMonkey.
> Depending what you do in those other programs, double-clicks may not
> have such a noticeable effect even if they do occur, giving the
> impression that only SeaMonkey is affected.

I really doubt it's a mechanical issue; as I said no other programs are
affected, not in the slightest. In fact, not even all of SeaMonkey is
affected, just Mail/News. The browser does exactly what I expect, as it
always has (since Netscape 4.x).

This is why it's so peculiar and so noticeable, because it's so
completely different from the past 18 years' experience. I've never seen
anything like this on any of my computers, and I still don't see it
outside of SeaMonkey Mail/News.

Paul B. Gallagher

0
Paul
1/12/2017 10:11:15 PM
Paul B. Gallagher composed on 2017-01-12 17:11 (UTC-0500):

> mozilla-lists.mbourne@spamgourmet.com wrote:
>
>> First things I'd try are using a different mouse and, if it's a
>> wireless mouse, replace the batteries. Things like worn switches in
>> the buttons or low batteries can cause clicks to be interpreted as
>> double-clicks. It may just be coincidence that something has gone
>> wonky with the mouse around the same time you upgraded SeaMonkey.
>> Depending what you do in those other programs, double-clicks may not
>> have such a noticeable effect even if they do occur, giving the
>> impression that only SeaMonkey is affected.

+1

> I really doubt it's a mechanical issue; as I said no other programs are
> affected, not in the slightest. In fact, not even all of SeaMonkey is
> affected, just Mail/News. The browser does exactly what I expect, as it
> always has (since Netscape 4.x).

> This is why it's so peculiar and so noticeable, because it's so
> completely different from the past 18 years' experience. I've never seen
> anything like this on any of my computers, and I still don't see it
> outside of SeaMonkey Mail/News.

I've seen it before over the years, and on recent occasions in 2.46, with RMB
only recently. I use RMB very little outside browsing sessions. New mouse or
disassembly and cleaning has usually been the solution in the past here, but
sometimes pulling the plug and reinserting in the socket a few times has worked too.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/
0
Felix
1/12/2017 10:29:11 PM
Felix Miata wrote:

> I've seen it before over the years, and on recent occasions in 2.46,
> with RMB only recently. I use RMB very little outside browsing
> sessions. New mouse or disassembly and cleaning has usually been the
> solution in the past here, but sometimes pulling the plug and
> reinserting in the socket a few times has worked too.

Hunh??? RMB = renminbi (Chinese currency)? I've never even seen one of
those.

More to the point: This is a corded, not wireless, USB mouse that draws
power from the system (no battery). It's optical, so there is no ball to
collect dirt, dust, etc. It sometimes has trouble if I put it on a
completely featureless surface, but that's not the case here.

So why should it be affected only in one module of one program?

Just because lots of people with chest pain are having heart attacks
doesn't mean that all chest pain is caused by heart attacks. In my
younger days, an opposing hockey player butt-ended me in the chest with
his stick, and my chest was sore for a week, but my heart was never
affected. Not all mouse issues are mechanical.

Paul B. Gallagher
0
Paul
1/13/2017 12:15:33 AM
Paul B. Gallagher composed on 2017-01-12 19:15 (UTC-0500):

> Felix Miata wrote:

>> I've seen it before over the years, and on recent occasions in 2.46,
>> with RMB only recently. I use RMB very little outside browsing
>> sessions. New mouse or disassembly and cleaning has usually been the
>> solution in the past here, but sometimes pulling the plug and
>> reinserting in the socket a few times has worked too.

> Hunh??? RMB = renminbi (Chinese currency)? I've never even seen one of
> those.

Right Mouse Button.

> More to the point: This is a corded, not wireless, USB mouse that draws
> power from the system (no battery). It's optical, so there is no ball to
> collect dirt, dust, etc.

Same as mine.

> So why should it be affected only in one module of one program?

Did you not read the part of the message I sent that you did not quote?

Keyword: impression.

> Just because lots of people with chest pain are having heart attacks
> doesn't mean that all chest pain is caused by heart attacks.
Whether you believe a fact or not does not change it.

> Not all mouse issues are mechanical.

Which also means not all mouse issues are not mechanical.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/
0
Felix
1/13/2017 1:51:46 AM
Felix Miata wrote:

> Paul B. Gallagher composed on 2017-01-12 19:15 (UTC-0500):
>
>> Felix Miata wrote:
>
>>> I've seen it before over the years, and on recent occasions in
>>> 2.46, with RMB only recently. I use RMB very little outside
>>> browsing sessions. New mouse or disassembly and cleaning has
>>> usually been the solution in the past here, but sometimes pulling
>>> the plug and reinserting in the socket a few times has worked
>>> too.
>
>> Hunh??? RMB = renminbi (Chinese currency)? I've never even seen one
>> of those.
>
> Right Mouse Button.

Oh. OK. My issue is with the LMB.

>> So why should it be affected only in one module of one program?
>
> Did you not read the part of the message I sent that you did not
> quote?

I snipped it because it seemed irrelevant, and I said as much.

Yes, I have seriously considered the possibility of a mechanical issue,
but as I've already said, a mechanical issue should not affect only one
pane of one module of one program. My mouse actions here are not so
unusual that they would never come up elsewhere.

I'm not one of those oblivious users who doesn't know the difference
between a single and double click or a left and right mouse button. As
users go, I'm /very/ aware of everything I'm doing, often to the point
that I become distracted by all that awareness.

I spend most of my day at the computer, using a wide variety of programs
where single and double clicks have clearly distinct results, and I
haven't yet seen one instance in any program other than the SM Mail/News
message/folder list where a single click produced double-click results.

So I'm not willing to force an invalid diagnosis on this problem just
because it's a common diagnosis.

If no one else is seeing this, it must be something in my SM profile or
configuration. Will check my laptop (different hardware, same profile)
later to see if it's doing the same thing.

Paul B. Gallagher
0
Paul
1/13/2017 3:32:51 AM
Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
> Felix Miata wrote:
>
>> I've seen it before over the years, and on recent occasions in 2.46,
>> with RMB only recently. I use RMB very little outside browsing
>> sessions. New mouse or disassembly and cleaning has usually been the
>> solution in the past here, but sometimes pulling the plug and
>> reinserting in the socket a few times has worked too.
>
> Hunh??? RMB = renminbi (Chinese currency)? I've never even seen one of
> those.
>
> More to the point: This is a corded, not wireless, USB mouse that draws
> power from the system (no battery). It's optical, so there is no ball to
> collect dirt, dust, etc. It sometimes has trouble if I put it on a
> completely featureless surface, but that's not the case here.

The buttons are probably still mechanical switches, which eventually wear.

> So why should it be affected only in one module of one program?

Because for a lot of actions in many other applications, a double-click
would do exactly the same as a single click, so you wouldn't notice the
difference. For example, if you double-click a link in the browser, it
opens the link, just the same as if you single-click it.

> Just because lots of people with chest pain are having heart attacks
> doesn't mean that all chest pain is caused by heart attacks. In my
> younger days, an opposing hockey player butt-ended me in the chest with
> his stick, and my chest was sore for a week, but my heart was never
> affected. Not all mouse issues are mechanical.

I didn't mean to suggest that a faulty mouse is the only possible
explanation. Just that it's the first thing I'd try to rule out, and
quite quick to try if you have another mouse to hand. It could also be
an extension, something in your profile, or many other things.

--
Mark.

0
mozilla