Websites block copying

Anyone know how websites can display text but prevent copying? It's very
common on Korean sites, but I've seen it elsewhere, too.

Here's an example:
<https://m.blog.naver.com/heayunbusan/140154085168>
It's easy enough to use CTRL-F to search and select a text string, but
even with that text "selected," you can't copy it.

Don't misunderstand -- I'm not trying to pirate their stuff, just
curious. And if I wanted to quote them within the limits of "fair use,"
I'd have to retype and proof my copy.

Thanks.

Paul B. Gallagher

0
Paul
4/1/2019 6:00:36 PM
mozilla.support.seamonkey 13199 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
> Anyone know how websites can display text but prevent copying? It's very
> common on Korean sites, but I've seen it elsewhere, too.
>
> Here's an example:
> <https://m.blog.naver.com/heayunbusan/140154085168>
> It's easy enough to use CTRL-F to search and select a text string, but
> even with that text "selected," you can't copy it.
>
> Don't misunderstand -- I'm not trying to pirate their stuff, just
> curious. And if I wanted to quote them within the limits of "fair use,"
> I'd have to retype and proof my copy.

simple javascript.

<https://www.google.com/search?q=javascript+disable+copy>

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
0
Jonathan
4/1/2019 7:40:20 PM
Jonathan N. Little wrote:
> Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
>> Anyone know how websites can display text but prevent copying? It's very
>> common on Korean sites, but I've seen it elsewhere, too.
>>
>> Here's an example:
>> <https://m.blog.naver.com/heayunbusan/140154085168>
>> It's easy enough to use CTRL-F to search and select a text string, but
>> even with that text "selected," you can't copy it.
>>
>> Don't misunderstand -- I'm not trying to pirate their stuff, just
>> curious. And if I wanted to quote them within the limits of "fair use,"
>> I'd have to retype and proof my copy.
>
> simple javascript.
>
> <https://www.google.com/search?q=javascript+disable+copy>

Bingo!

Couldn't find it in their code, but disabling javascript disabled the block.

Paul B. Gallagher

0
Paul
4/1/2019 8:29:54 PM
On 4/1/19, Paul B. Gallagher <paulbg@pbgdashtranslations.com> wrote:
> Jonathan N. Little wrote:
>> Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
>>> Anyone know how websites can display text but prevent copying? It's very
>>> common on Korean sites, but I've seen it elsewhere, too.
>>>
>>> Here's an example:
>>> <https://m.blog.naver.com/heayunbusan/140154085168>
>>> It's easy enough to use CTRL-F to search and select a text string, but
>>> even with that text "selected," you can't copy it.
>>>
>>> Don't misunderstand -- I'm not trying to pirate their stuff, just
>>> curious. And if I wanted to quote them within the limits of "fair use,"
>>> I'd have to retype and proof my copy.
>>
>> simple javascript.
>>
>> <https://www.google.com/search?q=javascript+disable+copy>
>
> Bingo!
>
> Couldn't find it in their code, but disabling javascript disabled the
> block.

You can also get rid of the block with uBlock Origin.

Get the Firefox Legacy version from https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/releases
and add a new rule:
m.blog.naver.com##+js(addEventListener-defuser.js)

Regards,
Lee
0
Lee
4/1/2019 10:57:26 PM
Lee wrote:
> On 4/1/19, Paul B. Gallagher <paulbg@pbgdashtranslations.com> wrote:
>> Jonathan N. Little wrote:
>>> Paul B. Gallagher wrote:

> You can also get rid of the block with uBlock Origin.
>
> Get the Firefox Legacy version from https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/releases
> and add a new rule:
> m.blog.naver.com##+js(addEventListener-defuser.js)

Since I run both NoScript and uBlock Origin, I rarely see the issue of
scripting blocking copying.

However, one other option that you have with Seamonkey is that you can
press CTRL-U to edit the page.  From there, near-complete ability to
interact with any of the page's content that's not script-delivered.

Just yesterday I did that -- I needed some content out of a page (in
this case, documentation of a procedure that I want to keep), where I
wanted hard copy, but where the print layout just didn't work, with all
the advertising content.  Thus, I opened the page with the editor, then
copied all the content that I needed into a LibreOffice document, and
that gave me what I needed.

Smith
0
NFN
4/2/2019 3:15:46 PM
NFN Smith wrote:
> Lee wrote:
>

>> You can also get rid of the block with uBlock Origin.
>>
>> Get the Firefox Legacy version from
>> https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/releases
>> and add a new rule:
>> m.blog.naver.com##+js(addEventListener-defuser.js)
>
> Since I run both NoScript and uBlock Origin, I rarely see the issue of
> scripting blocking copying.
>
> However, one other option that you have with Seamonkey is that you can
> press CTRL-U to edit the page.  From there, near-complete ability to
> interact with any of the page's content that's not script-delivered.
>
> Just yesterday I did that -- I needed some content out of a page (in
> this case, documentation of a procedure that I want to keep), where I
> wanted hard copy, but where the print layout just didn't work, with all
> the advertising content.  Thus, I opened the page with the editor, then
> copied all the content that I needed into a LibreOffice document, and
> that gave me what I needed.

That's an awful lot of trouble, especially if you're not a professional
coder. Or did you did mean CTRL-E? The simple solution of disabling
javascript for a moment is sufficient.

And I don't fight ad content since I use an ad blocker. You may want to
consider that. Once in a while I get a page that refuses to play unless
I disable ABP, but that's a price I'm willing to pay.

Paul B. Gallagher
0
Paul
4/2/2019 4:47:15 PM
Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
> Anyone know how websites can display text but prevent copying? It's very
> common on Korean sites, but I've seen it elsewhere, too.
>
> Here's an example:
> <https://m.blog.naver.com/heayunbusan/140154085168>
> It's easy enough to use CTRL-F to search and select a text string, but
> even with that text "selected," you can't copy it.
>
> Don't misunderstand -- I'm not trying to pirate their stuff, just
> curious. And if I wanted to quote them within the limits of "fair use,"
> I'd have to retype and proof my copy.
>
> Thanks.

I was unable to select anything on the page.  Whatever code is being
used, it is done with javascript.  By disabling javascript for that
site, I could select and copy text from there.
0
EE
4/2/2019 5:51:52 PM
Paul B. Gallagher wrote:

> That's an awful lot of trouble, especially if you're not a
> professional coder. Or did you did mean CTRL-E? The simple solution
> of disabling javascript for a moment is sufficient.

> And I don't fight ad content since I use an ad blocker. You may want
> to consider that. Once in a while I get a page that refuses to play
> unless I disable ABP, but that's a price I'm willing to pay.

Yes, I meant CTRL-E.  I had meant to correct that, but got distracted
and forgot to do so.

Re-hash: CTRL-E to call the editor, and then edit as necessary

I noted that I use both uBlock Origin and NoScript, but for this
particular page, the problem with hads wasn't the ads themselves (which
I didn't see) but the frames for containing the ads. On the screen the
display is fine, but in print, they cause a lot of blank space, where
output is about 7 or 8 pages.  When I copied just the formatted text, I
got output in 2 pages.

Smith

0
NFN