Website seems to work in Google Chrome only- HELP!!!

Tried to access the following website
https://store.google.com/us/product/pixel_4a

Would not run in SeaMonkey no matter what I used for a User Agent. Then
I tried Pale Moon and it would not run with it. I then tried Internet
Explorer and it was a no go also. Then I tried it with Google Chrome and
it works with it. So what is so different about Chrome? How do I get it
to run in SeaMonkey?

Danny
0
Danny
9/12/2020 3:15:04 PM
mozilla.support.seamonkey 13597 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On 9/12/2020 11:15 AM, Danny Kile wrote:
> Tried to access the following website
> https://store.google.com/us/product/pixel_4a
>
> Would not run in SeaMonkey no matter what I used for a User Agent. Then
> I tried Pale Moon and it would not run with it. I then tried Internet
> Explorer and it was a no go also. Then I tried it with Google Chrome and
> it works with it. So what is so different about Chrome? How do I get it
> to run in SeaMonkey?
>

> Danny

Did you try safe mode?

Works for me in Firefox 80.0.1 on Windows10.
0
WaltS48
9/12/2020 3:50:43 PM
WaltS48 wrote:
> On 9/12/2020 11:15 AM, Danny Kile wrote:
>> Tried to access the following website
>> https://store.google.com/us/product/pixel_4a
>>
>> Would not run in SeaMonkey no matter what I used for a User Agent.
>> Then I tried Pale Moon and it would not run with it. I then tried
>> Internet Explorer and it was a no go also. Then I tried it with Google
>> Chrome and it works with it. So what is so different about Chrome? How
>> do I get it to run in SeaMonkey?
>>

>> Danny
>
> Did you try safe mode?
>
> Works for me in Firefox 80.0.1 on Windows10.

I did try safe mode and that did not work. However, that would not
explain why IE and Pale Moon did not work also.

Danny
0
Danny
9/12/2020 4:14:53 PM
Danny Kile wrote:
> Tried to access the following website
> https://store.google.com/us/product/pixel_4a
>
> Would not run in SeaMonkey no matter what I used for a User Agent. Then
> I tried Pale Moon and it would not run with it. I then tried Internet
> Explorer and it was a no go also. Then I tried it with Google Chrome and
> it works with it. So what is so different about Chrome? How do I get it
> to run in SeaMonkey?

Google has its own way of how they want to do things.

For simple interaction, I've found that even the search bar at
google.com has a display quirk. However, if set the User Agent to show
*only* Firefox, the quirk goes away.  Thus, in about:config, I have
added an entry:

  general.useragent.override.google.com    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0;
Win64; x64; rv:68.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/68.0

I can't speak for Internet Explorer, but with Mozilla-derived browsers,
it seems that Google doesn't handle things well if the UA string shows
both "Firefox" and the name of the true browser.  I've tested with both
Seamonkey and PaleMoon, and I presume the same applies to Waterfox, as
well.  If you show *just* Firefox, then that problem goes away.

You could probably get the same effect if you spoof a Chromium browser,
whether Chrome proper, or a Chromium derivative, such as the new Edge,
Opera, etc.

On the other hand, I've seen developer notes that indicate that where
Google is going with YouTube, there's beginning to appear some things
that work properly only in Chromium browsers, and even some stuff that
may not work as well in Firefox, especially versions older than 78.x ESR.

Although you don't' have to abandon Seamonkey, you may want to get used
to the idea that you don't necessarily use Seamonkey for everything
(remember, there's nothing that requires you to commit to exclusive use
of a single browser), and be prepared to use something other than
Seamonkey to interact with certain sites.

Smith
0
NFN
9/12/2020 4:27:30 PM
Danny Kile wrote:
> Tried to access the following website
> https://store.google.com/us/product/pixel_4a
>
> Would not run in SeaMonkey no matter what I used for a User Agent. Then
> I tried Pale Moon and it would not run with it. I then tried Internet
> Explorer and it was a no go also. Then I tried it with Google Chrome and
> it works with it. So what is so different about Chrome? How do I get it
> to run in SeaMonkey?
>

> Danny
That page works with Vivaldi, but not with Slimjet.  Interesting, since
they are both chromium browsers with the Blink rendering engine, and
both identify themselves as Chrome.  It works with Safari, which does
not identify itself as Chrome.

0
EE
9/12/2020 4:51:18 PM
NFN Smith wrote on 12-09-20 18:27:
> Danny Kile wrote:
>> Tried to access the following website
>> https://store.google.com/us/product/pixel_4a
>>
>> Would not run in SeaMonkey no matter what I used for a User Agent.
>> Then I tried Pale Moon and it would not run with it. I then tried
>> Internet Explorer and it was a no go also. Then I tried it with
>> Google Chrome and it works with it. So what is so different about
>> Chrome? How do I get it to run in SeaMonkey?
>
> Google has its own way of how they want to do things.
>
> For simple interaction, I've found that even the search bar at
> google.com has a display quirk. However, if set the User Agent to show
> *only* Firefox, the quirk goes away.  Thus, in about:config, I have
> added an entry:
>

>  general.useragent.override.google.com    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT
> 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:68.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/68.0
>
> I can't speak for Internet Explorer, but with Mozilla-derived
> browsers, it seems that Google doesn't handle things well if the UA
> string shows both "Firefox" and the name of the true browser. I've
> tested with both Seamonkey and PaleMoon, and I presume the same
> applies to Waterfox, as well.  If you show *just* Firefox, then that
> problem goes away.
>
> You could probably get the same effect if you spoof a Chromium
> browser, whether Chrome proper, or a Chromium derivative, such as the
> new Edge, Opera, etc.
>
> On the other hand, I've seen developer notes that indicate that where
> Google is going with YouTube, there's beginning to appear some things
> that work properly only in Chromium browsers, and even some stuff that
> may not work as well in Firefox, especially versions older than 78.x ESR.
>
> Although you don't' have to abandon Seamonkey, you may want to get
> used to the idea that you don't necessarily use Seamonkey for
> everything (remember, there's nothing that requires you to commit to
> exclusive use of a single browser), and be prepared to use something
> other than Seamonkey to interact with certain sites.
>
> Smith
You said: "If you show *just* Firefox, then that problem goes away. "

I have: user_pref("general.useragent.override.google.com", "Mozilla/5.0
(Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:67.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/67.0");

And the https://store.google.com/us/product/pixel_4a
doesnot work.
0
Ray_Net
9/12/2020 7:23:52 PM
On 9/12/2020 8:15 AM, Danny Kile wrote:
> Tried to access the following website
> https://store.google.com/us/product/pixel_4a
>
> Would not run in SeaMonkey no matter what I used for a User Agent. Then
> I tried Pale Moon and it would not run with it. I then tried Internet
> Explorer and it was a no go also. Then I tried it with Google Chrome and
> it works with it. So what is so different about Chrome? How do I get it
> to run in SeaMonkey?

I guess Google doesn't want our money. ;)
--
Life's so loco! ..!.. *isms, sins, hates, (d)evil, illnesses (e.g.,
COVID-19/2019-nCoV/SARS-CoV-2), deaths (RIP), interruptions, stresses,
  | |o   o| |   Axe ANT from its address if shown & e-mailing privately.
     \ _ /     Please kindly use :( Ant nickname & URL/link if crediting.
      ( )
0
Ant
9/12/2020 8:16:37 PM
On 9/12/2020 9:14 AM, Danny Kile wrote:
> WaltS48 wrote:
>> On 9/12/2020 11:15 AM, Danny Kile wrote:
>>> Tried to access the following website
>>> https://store.google.com/us/product/pixel_4a
>>>
>>> Would not run in SeaMonkey no matter what I used for a User Agent.
>>> Then I tried Pale Moon and it would not run with it. I then tried
>>> Internet Explorer and it was a no go also. Then I tried it with
>>> Google Chrome and it works with it. So what is so different about
>>> Chrome? How do I get it to run in SeaMonkey?
>>>

>>> Danny
>>
>> Did you try safe mode?
>>
>> Works for me in Firefox 80.0.1 on Windows10.
>
> I did try safe mode and that did not work. However, that would not
> explain why IE and Pale Moon did not work also.

It didn't work in my 64-bit SeaMonkey v2.53.3 (even tried a couple
Firefox user agents) and Internet Explorer v11 web browsers in my decade
old, updated 64-bit W7 HPE SP1 PC. However, my 64-bit Firefox v80.0.1
was fine. I wonder if it will work in non-Chromium Edge web browser
(don't have nor want it).
--
Life's so loco! ..!.. *isms, sins, hates, (d)evil, illnesses (e.g.,
COVID-19/2019-nCoV/SARS-CoV-2), deaths (RIP), interruptions, stresses,
heat waves, fires, out(r)ages, dramas, unlucky #4, 2020, greeds, bugs
(e.g., crashes & female mosquitoes), etc. Note: A fixed width font
(Courier, Monospace, etc.) is required to see this signature correctly.
    /\___/\                     http://aqfl.net & http://antfarm.ma.cx /
   / /\ /\ \                                 http://antfarm.home.dhs.org
  | |o   o| |   Axe ANT from its address if shown & e-mailing privately.
     \ _ /     Please kindly use :( Ant nickname & URL/link if crediting.
      ( )
0
Ant
9/12/2020 8:19:29 PM
Ray_Net wrote:
> You said: "If you show *just* Firefox, then that problem goes away. "
>
> I have: user_pref("general.useragent.override.google.com", "Mozilla/5.0
> (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:67.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/67.0");
>
> And the https://store.google.com/us/product/pixel_4a
> doesnot work.

I should have qualified by noting that the problem goes away at
www.google.com.  I haven't dug far enough into Google's other sites to
know just how widely that will work.

Google is heavy on scripting use, and beyond what can be done with the
User Agent, there may be other things that don't work as intended, where
Google is trying to make use of things that don't exist in Seamonkey.  I
alluded to that in my note about YouTube, but it's entirely possible
that similar issues may turn up at somewhere like store.google.com.

My suggestion works for some parts of Google, but it's entirely possible
that it doesn't work for everything at Google.

Smith

0
NFN
9/12/2020 9:04:56 PM
Ray_Net wrote on 13/09/2020 5:23 AM:
> NFN Smith wrote on 12-09-20 18:27:
>> Danny Kile wrote:
>>> Tried to access the following website
>>> https://store.google.com/us/product/pixel_4a
>>>
>>> Would not run in SeaMonkey no matter what I used for a User Agent.
>>> Then I tried Pale Moon and it would not run with it. I then tried
>>> Internet Explorer and it was a no go also. Then I tried it with
>>> Google Chrome and it works with it. So what is so different about
>>> Chrome? How do I get it to run in SeaMonkey?
>>
>> Google has its own way of how they want to do things.
>>
>> For simple interaction, I've found that even the search bar at
>> google.com has a display quirk. However, if set the User Agent to show
>> *only* Firefox, the quirk goes away.  Thus, in about:config, I have
>> added an entry:
>>

>>  general.useragent.override.google.com    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT
>> 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:68.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/68.0
>>
>> I can't speak for Internet Explorer, but with Mozilla-derived
>> browsers, it seems that Google doesn't handle things well if the UA
>> string shows both "Firefox" and the name of the true browser. I've
>> tested with both Seamonkey and PaleMoon, and I presume the same
>> applies to Waterfox, as well.  If you show *just* Firefox, then that
>> problem goes away.
>>
>> You could probably get the same effect if you spoof a Chromium
>> browser, whether Chrome proper, or a Chromium derivative, such as the
>> new Edge, Opera, etc.
>>
>> On the other hand, I've seen developer notes that indicate that where
>> Google is going with YouTube, there's beginning to appear some things
>> that work properly only in Chromium browsers, and even some stuff that
>> may not work as well in Firefox, especially versions older than 78.x ESR.
>>
>> Although you don't' have to abandon Seamonkey, you may want to get
>> used to the idea that you don't necessarily use Seamonkey for
>> everything (remember, there's nothing that requires you to commit to
>> exclusive use of a single browser), and be prepared to use something
>> other than Seamonkey to interact with certain sites.
>>
>> Smith
> You said: "If you show *just* Firefox, then that problem goes away. "
>
> I have: user_pref("general.useragent.override.google.com", "Mozilla/5.0
> (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:67.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/67.0");
>
> And the https://store.google.com/us/product/pixel_4a
> doesnot work.

Hmm! Ray, I just clicked on your link, with, I believe, my stock
standard SM 2.49.5 UA showing, and basically got a Blank Screen .......
with a scroll-bar down the right hand side. So I scrolled waaayyyy down,
and got an ad for the Pixel 4a "Your Pixel 4a comes with 3 months of
Google One.".

Is this what people are missing?? Or is there supposed to be something
in all that blank screen??
--
Daniel

Win7 User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.5 Build identifier: 20190609032134

Linux User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623
0
Daniel
9/13/2020 6:22:31 AM
Daniel wrote:
> Ray_Net wrote on 13/09/2020 5:23 AM:
>> NFN Smith wrote on 12-09-20 18:27:

>>> Google has its own way of how they want to do things.
>>>
>>> For simple interaction, I've found that even the search bar at
>>> google.com has a display quirk. However, if set the User Agent to
>>> show *only* Firefox, the quirk goes away.  Thus, in about:config, I
>>> have added an entry:
>>>

>>>  general.useragent.override.google.com    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT
>>> 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:68.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/68.0
>>>
>>> I can't speak for Internet Explorer, but with Mozilla-derived
>>> browsers, it seems that Google doesn't handle things well if the UA
>>> string shows both "Firefox" and the name of the true browser. I've
>>> tested with both Seamonkey and PaleMoon, and I presume the same
>>> applies to Waterfox, as well.  If you show *just* Firefox, then that
>>> problem goes away.
>>>
>>> You could probably get the same effect if you spoof a Chromium
>>> browser, whether Chrome proper, or a Chromium derivative, such as the
>>> new Edge, Opera, etc.
>>>
>>> On the other hand, I've seen developer notes that indicate that where
>>> Google is going with YouTube, there's beginning to appear some things
>>> that work properly only in Chromium browsers, and even some stuff
>>> that may not work as well in Firefox, especially versions older than
>>> 78.x ESR.
>>>
>>> Although you don't' have to abandon Seamonkey, you may want to get
>>> used to the idea that you don't necessarily use Seamonkey for
>>> everything (remember, there's nothing that requires you to commit to
>>> exclusive use of a single browser), and be prepared to use something
>>> other than Seamonkey to interact with certain sites.
>>>
>>> Smith
>> You said: "If you show *just* Firefox, then that problem goes away. "
>>
>> I have: user_pref("general.useragent.override.google.com",
>> "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:67.0) Gecko/20100101
>> Firefox/67.0");
>>
>> And the https://store.google.com/us/product/pixel_4a
>> doesnot work.
>
> Hmm! Ray, I just clicked on your link, with, I believe, my stock
> standard SM 2.49.5 UA showing, and basically got a Blank Screen .......
> with a scroll-bar down the right hand side. So I scrolled waaayyyy down,
> and got an ad for the Pixel 4a "Your Pixel 4a comes with 3 months of
> Google One.".
>
> Is this what people are missing?? Or is there supposed to be something
> in all that blank screen??

In my 2.53.3 with no extensions I get a page with some Google Store menu
items across the top, a Google Pixel 4a Overview and pricing information
with a "Buy" button in blue.

The rest is blank unless I scroll way down, then I see the same.

In Firefox there is a lot more animated imaging and information between
the two sections. Mostly about how great the phone is for taking pictures.

Something SeaMonkey and the other non working browser must not support.

IMHO they should stop marketing these things as phones and start
marketing them as cameras with phone capabilities. All I ever see in ads
for new phones is how great the camera is.

YMMV
0
WaltS48
9/13/2020 1:06:04 PM
Ant wrote:
> I wonder if it will work in non-Chromium Edge web browser (don't have
> nor want it).

It doesn't. I still have that turkey on this machine. Also IE 11 fails
as well.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
0
Jonathan
9/13/2020 2:44:18 PM
On 9/12/2020 1:16 PM, Ant wrote:
> On 9/12/2020 8:15 AM, Danny Kile wrote:
>> Tried to access the following website
>> https://store.google.com/us/product/pixel_4a
>>
>> Would not run in SeaMonkey no matter what I used for a User Agent.
>> Then I tried Pale Moon and it would not run with it. I then tried
>> Internet Explorer and it was a no go also. Then I tried it with Google
>> Chrome and it works with it. So what is so different about Chrome? How
>> do I get it to run in SeaMonkey?
>
> I guess Google doesn't want our money. ;)

Weird/Odd. My yesterday's post is missing? Is this usenet server having
issues again like several months ago? :(
--
Life's so loco! ..!.. *isms, sins, hates, (d)evil, illnesses (e.g.,
COVID-19/2019-nCoV/SARS-CoV-2), deaths (RIP), interruptions, stresses,
heat waves, fires, out(r)ages, dramas, unlucky #4, 2020, greeds, bugs
(e.g., crashes & female mosquitoes), etc. Note: A fixed width font
(Courier, Monospace, etc.) is required to see this signature correctly.
    /\___/\                     http://aqfl.net & http://antfarm.ma.cx /
   / /\ /\ \                                 http://antfarm.home.dhs.org
  | |o   o| |   Axe ANT from its address if shown & e-mailing privately.
     \ _ /     Please kindly use :( Ant nickname & URL/link if crediting.
      ( )
0
Ant
9/13/2020 8:11:13 PM
WaltS48 wrote on 13/09/2020 11:06 PM:
> Daniel wrote:
>> Ray_Net wrote on 13/09/2020 5:23 AM:

>>> You said: "If you show *just* Firefox, then that problem goes away. "
>>>
>>> I have: user_pref("general.useragent.override.google.com",
>>> "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:67.0) Gecko/20100101
>>> Firefox/67.0");
>>>
>>> And the https://store.google.com/us/product/pixel_4a
>>> doesnot work.
>>
>> Hmm! Ray, I just clicked on your link, with, I believe, my stock
>> standard SM 2.49.5 UA showing, and basically got a Blank Screen
>> ....... with a scroll-bar down the right hand side. So I scrolled
>> waaayyyy down, and got an ad for the Pixel 4a "Your Pixel 4a comes
>> with 3 months of Google One.".
>>
>> Is this what people are missing?? Or is there supposed to be something
>> in all that blank screen??
>
> In my 2.53.3 with no extensions I get a page with some Google Store menu
> items across the top, a Google Pixel 4a Overview and pricing information
> with a "Buy" button in blue.
>
> The rest is blank unless I scroll way down, then I see the same.
>
> In Firefox there is a lot more animated imaging and information between
> the two sections. Mostly about how great the phone is for taking pictures.
>
> Something SeaMonkey and the other non working browser must not support.
>
> IMHO they should stop marketing these things as phones and start
> marketing them as cameras with phone capabilities. All I ever see in ads
> for new phones is how great the camera is.
>
> YMMV

Yeap .... but why not go the whole hog and just market them as fully
functional computers?? ;-P
--
Daniel

Win7 User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.5 Build identifier: 20190609032134

Linux User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623
0
Daniel
9/14/2020 4:56:39 AM
Daniel wrote:

> Hmm! Ray, I just clicked on your link, with, I believe, my stock
> standard SM 2.49.5 UA showing, and basically got a Blank Screen .......
> with a scroll-bar down the right hand side. So I scrolled waaayyyy down,
> and got an ad for the Pixel 4a "Your Pixel 4a comes with 3 months of
> Google One.".
>
> Is this what people are missing?? Or is there supposed to be something
> in all that blank screen??

I just took another look at that link, and I confirm that content is
showing if you do a lot of scrolling, I do see the expected content,
even if not quite rendering in the way that Google expects it.

I'm running 2.53.3.

Smith
0
NFN
9/14/2020 3:58:51 PM
NFN Smith wrote on 14-09-20 17:58:
> Daniel wrote:
>>
>> Hmm! Ray, I just clicked on your link, with, I believe, my stock
>> standard SM 2.49.5 UA showing, and basically got a Blank Screen
>> ....... with a scroll-bar down the right hand side. So I scrolled
>> waaayyyy down, and got an ad for the Pixel 4a "Your Pixel 4a comes
>> with 3 months of Google One.".
>>
>> Is this what people are missing?? Or is there supposed to be
>> something in all that blank screen??
>
> I just took another look at that link, and I confirm that content is
> showing if you do a lot of scrolling, I do see the expected content,
> even if not quite rendering in the way that Google expects it.
>
> I'm running 2.53.3.
>
> Smith
Correct. I have the same so it's normal that I wrote "..doesnot work."
0
Ray_Net
9/14/2020 8:03:17 PM
NFN Smith wrote:
> Daniel wrote:
>>
>> Hmm! Ray, I just clicked on your link, with, I believe, my stock
>> standard SM 2.49.5 UA showing, and basically got a Blank Screen
>> ....... with a scroll-bar down the right hand side. So I scrolled
>> waaayyyy down, and got an ad for the Pixel 4a "Your Pixel 4a comes
>> with 3 months of Google One.".
>>
>> Is this what people are missing?? Or is there supposed to be something
>> in all that blank screen??
>
> I just took another look at that link, and I confirm that content is
> showing if you do a lot of scrolling, I do see the expected content,
> even if not quite rendering in the way that Google expects it.
>
> I'm running 2.53.3.
>
> Smith

The funny thing about that link is that Slimjet did not work but Vivaldi
did.  Both are chromium browsers, both use the Blink rendering engine,
and both identify themselves as Chrome.

0
EE
9/14/2020 8:12:39 PM
On 9/14/20 11:58 AM, NFN Smith wrote:
> Daniel wrote:
>>
>> Hmm! Ray, I just clicked on your link, with, I believe, my stock=20
>> standard SM 2.49.5 UA showing, and basically got a Blank Screen=20
>> ....... with a scroll-bar down the right hand side. So I scrolled=20
>> waaayyyy down, and got an ad for the Pixel 4a "Your Pixel 4a comes=20
>> with 3 months of Google=C2=A0One.".
>>
>> Is this what people are missing?? Or is there supposed to be something=
=20
>> in=C2=A0all=C2=A0that=C2=A0blank=C2=A0screen??
>=20
> I just took another look at that link, and I confirm that content is=20
> showing if you do a lot of scrolling, I do see the expected content,=20
> even if not quite rendering in the way that Google expects it.
>=20
> I'm running 2.53.3.
>=20
> Smith

So you see the "A lot of help, for less" heading and the front and back=20
pictures of the phone sliding away from each other as you scroll down?

Then you come to "A Google phone packed with the things you want"=20
heading, with 4 columns under that with links explaining features.

Keep scrolling and you come to the Verizon offer.

Keep scrolling you get the "Jaw-dropping photos. Near, far or galaxies=20
away heading".

Keep scrolling and you get pictures that change and enlarge as you scroll=
=2E

Keep scrolling for a whole lot more until you get to the pic with "Your=20
Pixel 4a comes with 3 months of Google One" heading.

Glad you SeaMonkey is working. Mine isn't.

I saw all of that using Firefox Nightly 82.0a1.

--=20
OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop
https://give.thunderbird.net/en-US/

0
WaltS48