USPS website will soon no longer support SeaMonkey

First YouTube, then YahooMail, now I will soon no longer be able to
track my packages through USPS using SeaMonkey.

When on the USPS using SeaMonkey, I get this message:
Alert: As of April 30, USPS.com will no longer support outdated
browsers. To continue access, you may need to upgrade your browser. Read
more ›

:(

I guess years of using the Mozilla Browser, and then SeaMonkey are about
to come to an end. I loved the idea of it and have been a loyal user for
about 15 years, but now I guess I need to switch to FireFox. It's just a
pain in the neck to keep switching between browsers for certain
websites. I like having one browser for everything.

---

Mozilla
4/15/2018 6:22:12 AM
mozilla.support.seamonkey 12880 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Mozilla User wrote:
> First YouTube, then YahooMail, now I will soon no longer be able to track my packages
> through USPS using SeaMonkey.
>
> When on the USPS using SeaMonkey, I get this message:
> Alert: As of April 30, USPS.com will no longer support outdated browsers. To continue
> access, you may need to upgrade your browser. Read more ›
>
> :(
>
> I guess years of using the Mozilla Browser, and then SeaMonkey are about to come to an
> end. I loved the idea of it and have been a loyal user for about 15 years, but now I guess
> I need to switch to FireFox. It's just a pain in the neck to keep switching between
> browsers for certain websites. I like having one browser for everything.
>
> ---

Add a new UA string.
My SM works just fine.  YouTube works, YahooMail works.
More than likely my SM will continue to work with USPS.
I sent a package last week and have been tracking it.
I don't get the message that you get.
Please dump the virus spam advertising.

---
by Asvat virus software.
https://www.asvat.com/virus

0
Paul
4/15/2018 6:56:30 AM
Mozilla User wrote:
> First YouTube, then YahooMail, now I will soon no longer be able to
> track my packages through USPS using SeaMonkey.
>
> When on the USPS using SeaMonkey, I get this message:
> Alert: As of April 30, USPS.com will no longer support outdated
> browsers. To continue access, you may need to upgrade your browser. Read
> more ›
>
> :(
>
> I guess years of using the Mozilla Browser, and then SeaMonkey are about
> to come to an end. I loved the idea of it and have been a loyal user for
> about 15 years, but now I guess I need to switch to FireFox. It's just a
> pain in the neck to keep switching between browsers for certain
> websites. I like having one browser for everything.
>
> ---

USPS says they require versions 59, 58.0.1 of Firefox. Easily done --
just lie to them (spoof FF by changing your user agent string). Lots of
ways to do it if you want to, just ask around.

Paul B. Gallagher

0
Paul
4/15/2018 10:32:45 AM
Paul B. Gallagher wrote on 15-04-18 12:32:
> Mozilla User wrote:
>> First YouTube, then YahooMail, now I will soon no longer be able to
>> track my packages through USPS using SeaMonkey.
>>
>> When on the USPS using SeaMonkey, I get this message:
>> Alert: As of April 30, USPS.com will no longer support outdated
>> browsers. To continue access, you may need to upgrade your browser.
>> Read more ›
>>
>> :(
>>
>> I guess years of using the Mozilla Browser, and then SeaMonkey are
>> about to come to an end. I loved the idea of it and have been a loyal
>> user for about 15 years, but now I guess I need to switch to FireFox.
>> It's just a pain in the neck to keep switching between browsers for
>> certain websites. I like having one browser for everything.
>>
>> ---
>
> USPS says they require versions 59, 58.0.1 of Firefox. Easily done --
> just lie to them (spoof FF by changing your user agent string). Lots
> of ways to do it if you want to, just ask around.

SO the best and esay way id that SM MUST, BY DEFAULT, use this UAstring
User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
Firefox/52.0
instead tof this UAstring:
User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.1

THEREFORE ALL PROBLEMS about supported browsers WILL DISSAPEAR ....

Because the browser engine IS FireFox AND NOT SeaMonkey.
0
Ray_Net
4/15/2018 1:30:36 PM
Ray_Net wrote:
> Paul B. Gallagher wrote on 15-04-18 12:32:
>> Mozilla User wrote:
>>> First YouTube, then YahooMail, now I will soon no longer be able to
>>> track my packages through USPS using SeaMonkey.
>>>
>>> When on the USPS using SeaMonkey, I get this message:
>>> Alert: As of April 30, USPS.com will no longer support outdated
>>> browsers. To continue access, you may need to upgrade your browser.
>>> Read more ›
>>>
>>> :(
>>>
>>> I guess years of using the Mozilla Browser, and then SeaMonkey are
>>> about to come to an end. I loved the idea of it and have been a loyal
>>> user for about 15 years, but now I guess I need to switch to FireFox.
>>> It's just a pain in the neck to keep switching between browsers for
>>> certain websites. I like having one browser for everything.
>>>
>> USPS says they require versions 59, 58.0.1 of Firefox. Easily done --
>> just lie to them (spoof FF by changing your user agent string). Lots
>> of ways to do it if you want to, just ask around.
>>
> SO the best and esay way id that SM MUST, BY DEFAULT, use this UAstring
> User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
> Firefox/52.0
> instead tof this UAstring:
> User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
> Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.1
>
> THEREFORE ALL PROBLEMS about supported browsers WILL DISSAPEAR ....
>
> Because the browser engine IS FireFox AND NOT SeaMonkey.

We're right here, we can hear you fine, no need to SHOUT.

Since they require Firefox version 58.0.1 or above, I doubt that saying
"Firefox/52.0" will work. That's why I suggested a user agent switcher.

Paul B. Gallagher
0
Paul
4/15/2018 3:03:52 PM
On 4/15/2018 at 2:22 AM, Mozilla User created this epitome of digital
genius:
> First YouTube, then YahooMail, now I will soon no longer be able to
> track my packages through USPS using SeaMonkey.
>
> When on the USPS using SeaMonkey, I get this message:
> Alert: As of April 30, USPS.com will no longer support outdated
> browsers. To continue access, you may need to upgrade your browser. Read
> more ›
>
> :(
>
> I guess years of using the Mozilla Browser, and then SeaMonkey are about
> to come to an end. I loved the idea of it and have been a loyal user for
> about 15 years, but now I guess I need to switch to FireFox. It's just a
> pain in the neck to keep switching between browsers for certain
> websites. I like having one browser for everything.
>
> ---

Add this to your prefs.js file with SM  closed:

user_pref("general.useragent.override.usps.com", "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows
NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/50.0");

That way you'll still be reporting as SeaMonkey on all other sites which
is good as it lets site owners know about SeaMoney.

--
Ed Mullen
https://edmullen.net/

0
Ed
4/15/2018 3:16:51 PM
On 4/15/18 11:16 AM, Ed Mullen wrote:
> On 4/15/2018 at 2:22 AM, Mozilla User created this epitome of digital
> genius:
>> First YouTube, then YahooMail, now I will soon no longer be able to
>> track my packages through USPS using SeaMonkey.
>>
>> When on the USPS using SeaMonkey, I get this message:
>> Alert: As of April 30, USPS.com will no longer support outdated
>> browsers. To continue access, you may need to upgrade your browser.
>> Read more ›
>>
>> :(
>>
>> I guess years of using the Mozilla Browser, and then SeaMonkey are
>> about to come to an end. I loved the idea of it and have been a loyal
>> user for about 15 years, but now I guess I need to switch to FireFox.
>> It's just a pain in the neck to keep switching between browsers for
>> certain websites. I like having one browser for everything.
>>

> Add this to your prefs.js file with SM  closed:
>
> user_pref("general.useragent.override.usps.com", "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows
> NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/50.0");
>
> That way you'll still be reporting as SeaMonkey on all other sites which
> is good as it lets site owners know about SeaMoney.

I get the alert message actually using Firefox 50.

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/50.0

Clicking the Read More link informs the user that the site compatible
versions are "Compatible Versions: 59, 58.0.1".

--
GO PENS!
Ubuntu 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop
> On 4/15/18 11:16 AM, Ed Mullen wrote:
>> On 4/15/2018 at 2:22 AM, Mozilla User created this epitome of digital
>> genius:
>>> First YouTube, then YahooMail, now I will soon no longer be able to
>>> track my packages through USPS using SeaMonkey.
>>>
>>> When on the USPS using SeaMonkey, I get this message:
>>> Alert: As of April 30, USPS.com will no longer support outdated
>>> browsers. To continue access, you may need to upgrade your browser.
>>> Read more ›
>>>
>>> :(
>>>
>>> I guess years of using the Mozilla Browser, and then SeaMonkey are
>>> about to come to an end. I loved the idea of it and have been a loyal
>>> user for about 15 years, but now I guess I need to switch to FireFox.
>>> It's just a pain in the neck to keep switching between browsers for
>>> certain websites. I like having one browser for everything.
>>>

>> Add this to your prefs.js file with SM  closed:
>>
>> user_pref("general.useragent.override.usps.com", "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows
>> NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/50.0");
>>
>> That way you'll still be reporting as SeaMonkey on all other sites
>> which is good as it lets site owners know about SeaMoney.
>>

> I get the alert message actually using Firefox 50.
>
> Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/50.0
>
> Clicking the Read More link informs the user that the site compatible
> versions are "Compatible Versions: 59, 58.0.1".

Even spoofing FF59 will get the initial red banner. If you click Read
More you'll get this:

Good news — your browser is up to date.

You can continue to access all USPS.com features with your current
browser version.

Thank you for using USPS.com!

--
Ed Mullen
https://edmullen.net/

0
Ed
4/15/2018 4:47:06 PM
Ed Mullen composed on 2018-04-15 11:16 (UTC-0400):

> Add this to your prefs.js file with SM  closed:

> user_pref("general.useragent.override.usps.com", "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows
> NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/50.0");

> That way you'll still be reporting as SeaMonkey on all other sites which
> is good as it lets site owners know about SeaMoney.

Actual UA:
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.2

Using for general.useragent.override.usps.com:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/50.0 or
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:59.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/59.0

and even after deleting cookies I still see:

Alert: As of April 30, USPS.com will no longer support outdated browsers. To
continue access, you may need to upgrade your browser. Read more...

Until I click the read more link and see:

Good news — your browser is up to date.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/
0
Felix
4/15/2018 7:04:21 PM
Felix Miata wrote:
> Ed Mullen composed on 2018-04-15 11:16 (UTC-0400):
>
>> Add this to your prefs.js file with SM  closed:
>
>> user_pref("general.useragent.override.usps.com", "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows
>> NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/50.0");
>
>> That way you'll still be reporting as SeaMonkey on all other sites which
>> is good as it lets site owners know about SeaMoney.
>
> Actual UA:
> Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.2
>
> Using for general.useragent.override.usps.com:
> Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/50.0 or
> Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:59.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/59.0

First string doesn't work, second does, here.
0
cmcadams
4/15/2018 7:50:16 PM
On 4/15/18 3:50 PM, cmcadams wrote:
> Felix Miata wrote:
>> Ed Mullen composed on 2018-04-15 11:16 (UTC-0400):
>>
>>> Add this to your prefs.js file with SM  closed:
>>
>>> user_pref("general.useragent.override.usps.com", "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows
>>> NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/50.0");
>>
>>> That way you'll still be reporting as SeaMonkey on all other sites which
>>> is good as it lets site owners know about SeaMoney.
>>
>> Actual UA:
>> Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.2
>>
>> Using for general.useragent.override.usps.com:
>> Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101
>> Firefox/50.0 or
>> Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:59.0) Gecko/20100101
>> Firefox/59.0
>
> First string doesn't work, second does, here.

The Firefox browser works here. Y'all enjoy your problems.

--
GO PENS!
Ubuntu 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop
0
WaltS48
4/15/2018 10:34:29 PM
WaltS48 wrote:
> On 4/15/18 3:50 PM, cmcadams wrote:
>> Felix Miata wrote:
>>> Ed Mullen composed on 2018-04-15 11:16 (UTC-0400):

>>> Actual UA:
>>> Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.4=
9.2

>>> Using for general.useragent.override.usps.com:
>>> Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 Fir=
efox/50.0 or
>>> Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:59.0) Gecko/20100101 Fir=
efox/59.0

>> First string doesn't work, second does, here.
>=20
>=20
> The Firefox browser works here. Y'all enjoy your problems.
>=20

Sure, everybody knows Firefox is where all the cool kids are. All those f=
olks doing=20
their best to steer clear must just be nuts.

For anyone wanting a simple mechanism for fixing Seamonkey's UA string pr=
oblems, here=20
is what the user.js file in my Profiles\[config_name].default directory n=
ow looks like:

user_pref("00_user.js.loaded", "user.js load failed");
# user_pref("general.useragent.override.chase.com", "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows=
 NT 10.0;=20
Win64; x64; rv:59.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/59.0");
user_pref("00_user.js.loaded", "yes");

1st and last lines are per David Ross, to whom thanks.

No line break in the UA string for line 2. The '#' at the beginning of li=
ne 2=20
comments out the rest of the line (eg, won't be executed, because it has =
already run=20
successfully). User.js is run every time Seamonkey starts, and you can ve=
rify this by=20
going to about:config. The first item will normally be "00_user.js.loaded=
" set to=20
yes, meaning that your user.js was seen. With no line 2, or with line 2 c=
ommented=20
out, nothing is actually added to prefs.js, and that's OK, it does no har=
m run=20
"empty" and it gives you a permanent template in place ready for the next=
 annoying=20
website.

When you have an un-commented out line 2 such as:

user_pref("general.useragent.override.chase.com", "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows N=
T 10.0;=20
Win64; x64; rv:59.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/59.0");

where the chase.com can be replaced with any name of any other website gi=
ving you=20
problems, that site will thereafter see only what you want them to see.

0
cmcadams
4/16/2018 1:21:04 AM
On 4/15/2018 9:04 AM, Felix Miata wrote:
> Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:59.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/59.0

The above does NOT work in Fx 52.7.3 ESR.  It works fine in Seamonkey
and Basilisk 2018.03.21 (x64). (Basilisk is forked off Fx 55).

Clicking on "Read More" at USPS still gives me the warning about an
outdated browser for Fx but using SeaMonkey and Basilisk I get
Congratulations your browser is up to date.  User Agent Switcher is
currently being rewritten for WebE and there is no updated list of user
agents that includes Fx 59 in the XUL version I use on Fx 52.

You'd think the USPS would not be insulting Enterprise Fx 52 users as Fx
52 ESR is supported by Mozilla through Aug 2018 (internal push of ver 62
will not occur until Aug 29) so they are jumping the gun in removing
support in April.

0
Desiree
4/16/2018 1:47:39 AM
Well, unsupported doesn't always mean blocked. Also, what about Firefox
ESR versions? :/

On 4/14/2018 11:22 PM, Mozilla User wrote:
> First YouTube, then YahooMail, now I will soon no longer be able to
> track my packages through USPS using SeaMonkey.
>
> When on the USPS using SeaMonkey, I get this message:
> Alert: As of April 30, USPS.com will no longer support outdated
> browsers. To continue access, you may need to upgrade your browser. Read
> more ›
>
> :(
>
> I guess years of using the Mozilla Browser, and then SeaMonkey are about
> to come to an end. I loved the idea of it and have been a loyal user for
> about 15 years, but now I guess I need to switch to FireFox. It's just a
> pain in the neck to keep switching between browsers for certain
> websites. I like having one browser for everything.--
"Yo mama is so poor, I saw her fighting an ant for food." --unknown
this signature correctly.
    /\___/\           Ant(Dude) @ Personal Web Site http://antfarm.ma.cx
   / /\ /\ \
  | |o   o| |          If crediting, then use Ant nickname and URL/link.
     \ _ /              Axe ANT from its address if e-mailing privately.
      ( )
0
Ant
4/16/2018 5:47:12 AM
Ant via support-seamonkey composed on 2018-04-15 22:47 (UTC-0700):

> Well, unsupported doesn't always mean blocked. Also, what about Firefox
> ESR versions? :/

Same moronic limitation with FF ESR52, but

	general.useragent.override.usps.com

containing:

	Mozilla/5.0 (Windows > NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:59.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/59.0");

or similar showing a sufficiently newer than 52.0 version works.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/
0
Felix
4/16/2018 5:54:17 AM
 From its https://www.usps.com/browser-check/ link:

"... As of April 30, 2018, some features on USPS.com® will not be
compatible with past versions of browsers. Upgrade your preferred
browser to the most current version to have uninterrupted access and
protect yourself with the latest security updates."

Some features. So, overall older web browsers will still work. I wonder
what features will not work in them like SeaMonkey, older Firefox (e.g.,
ESR).

On 4/15/2018 10:47 PM, Ant wrote:
> Well, unsupported doesn't always mean blocked. Also, what about Firefox
> ESR versions? :/
>

> On 4/14/2018 11:22 PM, Mozilla User wrote:
>> First YouTube, then YahooMail, now I will soon no longer be able to
>> track my packages through USPS using SeaMonkey.
>>
>> When on the USPS using SeaMonkey, I get this message:
>> Alert: As of April 30, USPS.com will no longer support outdated
>> browsers. To continue access, you may need to upgrade your browser.
>> Read more ›
>>
>> :(
>>
>> I guess years of using the Mozilla Browser, and then SeaMonkey are
>> about to come to an end. I loved the idea of it and have been a loyal
>> user for about 15 years, but now I guess I need to switch to FireFox.
>> It's just a pain in the neck to keep switching between browsers for
>> certain websites. I like having one browser for everything.-- --
"It's like stepping on ants... I don't step on ants, Major." --Odo and
Kira from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
this signature correctly.
    /\___/\           Ant(Dude) @ Personal Web Site http://antfarm.ma.cx
   / /\ /\ \
  | |o   o| |          If crediting, then use Ant nickname and URL/link.
     \ _ /              Axe ANT from its address if e-mailing privately.
      ( )
0
Ant
4/16/2018 5:59:18 AM
Paul B. Gallagher wrote on 15-04-18 17:03:
> Ray_Net wrote:
>> Paul B. Gallagher wrote on 15-04-18 12:32:

>>> USPS says they require versions 59, 58.0.1 of Firefox. Easily done
>>> -- just lie to them (spoof FF by changing your user agent string).
>>> Lots of ways to do it if you want to, just ask around.
>>>
>> SO the best and esay way id that SM MUST, BY DEFAULT, use this UAstring
>> User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:52.0)
>> Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0
>> instead tof this UAstring:
>> User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:52.0)
>> Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.1
>>
>> THEREFORE ALL PROBLEMS about supported browsers WILL DISSAPEAR ....
>>
>> Because the browser engine IS FireFox AND NOT SeaMonkey.
>
> We're right here, we can hear you fine, no need to SHOUT.
>
> Since they require Firefox version 58.0.1 or above, I doubt that
> saying "Firefox/52.0" will work. That's why I suggested a user agent
> switcher.

Ok,yes, but the problem is because SM did not follow FireFox rapidly
enough ...
0
Ray_Net
4/16/2018 6:12:12 AM
Ed Mullen wrote on 15-04-18 17:16:
> On 4/15/2018 at 2:22 AM, Mozilla User created this epitome of digital
> genius:
>> First YouTube, then YahooMail, now I will soon no longer be able to
>> track my packages through USPS using SeaMonkey.
>>
>> When on the USPS using SeaMonkey, I get this message:
>> Alert: As of April 30, USPS.com will no longer support outdated
>> browsers. To continue access, you may need to upgrade your browser.
>> Read more ›
>>
>> :(
>>
>> I guess years of using the Mozilla Browser, and then SeaMonkey are
>> about to come to an end. I loved the idea of it and have been a loyal
>> user for about 15 years, but now I guess I need to switch to FireFox.
>> It's just a pain in the neck to keep switching between browsers for
>> certain websites. I like having one browser for everything.
>>
>> ---
>>

> Add this to your prefs.js file with SM  closed:
>
> user_pref("general.useragent.override.usps.com", "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows
> NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/50.0");
>
> That way you'll still be reporting as SeaMonkey on all other sites
> which is good as it lets site owners know about SeaMoney.

Webmasters are not interested about SeaMonkey .. they ignore it and did
not care about it.
0
Ray_Net
4/16/2018 6:14:18 AM
Ray_Net wrote:
> Ed Mullen wrote on 15-04-18 17:16:
>> On 4/15/2018 at 2:22 AM, Mozilla User created this epitome of digital =
genius:
>>> First YouTube, then YahooMail, now I will soon no longer be able to t=
rack my=20
>>> packages through USPS using SeaMonkey.
>>>
>>> When on the USPS using SeaMonkey, I get this message:
>>> Alert: As of April 30, USPS.com will no longer support outdated brows=
ers. To=20
>>> continue access, you may need to upgrade your browser. Read more =E2=80=
=BA

>>> :(
>>>
>>> I guess years of using the Mozilla Browser, and then SeaMonkey are ab=
out to come=20
>>> to an end. I loved the idea of it and have been a loyal user for abou=
t 15 years,=20
>>> but now I guess I need to switch to FireFox. It's just a pain in the =
neck to keep=20
>>> switching between browsers for certain websites. I like having one br=
owser for=20
>>> everything.
>>>
>>> ---
>>>

>> Add this to your prefs.js file with SM=C2=A0 closed:
>>
>> user_pref("general.useragent.override.usps.com", "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows=
 NT 10.0;=20
>> Win64; x64; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/50.0");
>>
>> That way you'll still be reporting as SeaMonkey on all other sites whi=
ch is good as=20
>> it lets site owners know about SeaMoney.
>>

> Webmasters are not interested about SeaMonkey .. they ignore it and did=
 not care=20
> about it.

My experience too. I'd point webmasters to someplace like geckoisgecko.or=
g and they=20
couldn't possibly have cared less.

What features does Seamonkey possess, precisely, that make it NECESSARY t=
o tell them=20
that it's Seamonkey, and not Firefox? If none, then it's just causing a l=
ot of=20
unnecessary trouble. The job of the UA string becomes to get our users in=
 the door,=20
and nothing else.

So, what is the latest FF version that SM can cover without technical hic=
cups? THAT=20
should be our default UA string.

0
cmcadams
4/16/2018 6:36:47 AM
On 4/15/2018 11:12 PM, Ray_Net wrote:
> Paul B. Gallagher wrote on 15-04-18 17:03:
>> Ray_Net wrote:

>>> SO the best and esay way id that SM MUST, BY DEFAULT, use this UAstring
>>> User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:52.0)
>>> Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0
>>> instead tof this UAstring:
>>> User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:52.0)
>>> Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.1
>>>
>>> THEREFORE ALL PROBLEMS about supported browsers WILL DISSAPEAR ....
>>>
>>> Because the browser engine IS FireFox AND NOT SeaMonkey.
>>
>> We're right here, we can hear you fine, no need to SHOUT.
>>
>> Since they require Firefox version 58.0.1 or above, I doubt that
>> saying "Firefox/52.0" will work. That's why I suggested a user agent
>> switcher.
>>
> Ok,yes, but the problem is because SM did not follow FireFox rapidly
> enough ...

Yep, and SM is having big blocker here like in its
https://wiki.mozilla.org/SeaMonkey/StatusMeetings/2018-04-08 web page.  :(

--
"Ants have the most complicated social organization on earth next to
humans." --E. O. Wilson
this signature correctly.
    /\___/\           Ant(Dude) @ Personal Web Site http://antfarm.ma.cx
   / /\ /\ \
  | |o   o| |          If crediting, then use Ant nickname and URL/link.
     \ _ /              Axe ANT from its address if e-mailing privately.
      ( )
0
Ant
4/16/2018 9:19:15 AM
On 4/15/18 9:21 PM, cmcadams wrote:
> WaltS48 wrote:

>>> First string doesn't work, second does, here.
>>

>> The Firefox browser works here. Y'all enjoy your problems.
>>

> Sure, everybody knows Firefox is where all the cool kids are. All those
> folks doing their best to steer clear must just be nuts.

No, the compatible versions of Firefox, Chrome, Edge, IE11 and Safari
are where all the modern web features are supported.

You may be able to fool the site with a fake UA, but will the site
display properly in a browser that doesn't support those features.

It would have been nice if the USPS had listed what features will no
longer be compatible.

It baffles me that they are not aware of Firefox ESR and supporting that
browser.

--
GO PENS!
Ubuntu 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop
0
WaltS48
4/16/2018 1:47:36 PM
 >> IE11 ...are where all the modern web features are supported.

This was a good one :)

 > It would have been nice if the USPS had listed what features will no longer be
 > compatible.

Probably none with IE11 and Safari listed. They just picked an arbitrary
recent number for Fx.

FRG

WaltS48 wrote:
> On 4/15/18 9:21 PM, cmcadams wrote:
>> WaltS48 wrote:

>>> The Firefox browser works here. Y'all enjoy your problems.
>>>

>> Sure, everybody knows Firefox is where all the cool kids are. All those
>> folks doing their best to steer clear must just be nuts.
>>

> No, the compatible versions of Firefox, Chrome, Edge, IE11 and Safari are
> where all the modern web features are supported.
>
> You may be able to fool the site with a fake UA, but will the site display
> properly in a browser that doesn't support those features.
>
> It would have been nice if the USPS had listed what features will no longer be
> compatible.
>
> It baffles me that they are not aware of Firefox ESR and supporting that browser.

0
Frank
4/16/2018 4:21:09 PM
cmcadams wrote on 16-04-18 08:36:
> Ray_Net wrote:
>> Ed Mullen wrote on 15-04-18 17:16:
>>> On 4/15/2018 at 2:22 AM, Mozilla User created this epitome of
>>> digital genius:

>>> Add this to your prefs.js file with SM  closed:
>>>
>>> user_pref("general.useragent.override.usps.com", "Mozilla/5.0
>>> (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/50.0");
>>>
>>> That way you'll still be reporting as SeaMonkey on all other sites
>>> which is good as it lets site owners know about SeaMoney.
>>>

>> Webmasters are not interested about SeaMonkey .. they ignore it and
>> did not care about it.
>
> My experience too. I'd point webmasters to someplace like
> geckoisgecko.org and they couldn't possibly have cared less.
>
> What features does Seamonkey possess, precisely, that make it
> NECESSARY to tell them that it's Seamonkey, and not Firefox? If none,
> then it's just causing a lot of unnecessary trouble. The job of the UA
> string becomes to get our users in the door, and nothing else.
>
> So, what is the latest FF version that SM can cover without technical
> hiccups? THAT should be our default UA string.

"THAT should be our default UA string" but the SeaMonkey developpers
will NEVER accept this fact ... they are in their ivory-tower.
0
Ray_Net
4/16/2018 4:41:51 PM
Paul in Houston, TX wrote:
> Mozilla User wrote:
>> First YouTube, then YahooMail, now I will soon no longer be able to
>> track my packages
>> through USPS using SeaMonkey.
>>
>> When on the USPS using SeaMonkey, I get this message:
>> Alert: As of April 30, USPS.com will no longer support outdated
>> browsers. To continue
>> access, you may need to upgrade your browser. Read more ›

> Add a new UA string.
> My SM works just fine.  YouTube works, YahooMail works.
> More than likely my SM will continue to work with USPS.
> I sent a package last week and have been tracking it.
> I don't get the message that you get.

I checked the offered link, which leads to
https://www.usps.com/browser-check/.  On that, the oldest Mozilla
browser listed is 58.0.1 -- not even 57.0.  Thus, it means that Firefox
52 ESR isn't going to be supported, either.

A couple of considerations on spoofing:

- If you spoof the browser, it also changes the User Agent heading in
the email.  I use the Display Mail User Agent extension, and Paul, your
posting shows that it was done with Firefox, rather than a mail client.

- The standard UA string for Seamonkey 2.49.2 is:

    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.2

I suspect that if you change this string to show "Firefox/59.0", that's
probably enough to make the warning go away. It's likely that the
sniffing is only looking for the specific Firefox version, and ignoring
the rest of the string, including that you're actually running Seamonkey.

For spoofing, it's certainly possible to change the settings in prefs.js
or user.js, although I'm not sure what the effect would be if you
prefs.js, and then upgrade to a later version of Seamonkey. It's likely
that you may have to edit, to reflect the newer version.

For spoofing (and I do it a lot, for a number of reasons), my preference
is to use an extension.  User Agent Switcher and PrefBar are both quite
workable. Personally, I find PrefBar a little easier to use, and I also
like some of the additional capacities that PrefBar gives me.

To me, the key thing about using an extension is that it allows me to
change user agents on the fly, and then switch back to the standard one
when the need has passed.  Besides the noted effect on user agent
handling in the mail client, I sometimes may spoof more than one agent
at a particular site -- I have an archive of downloaded software that I
use for tech support, and some sites are aggressive about doing browser
sniffing for what platform you're running, and then offering *only* the
download that matches what they find.  Thus, running from Windows, if I
want Mac or Linux versions, I have to spoof the UA.  UA spoofing is also
good for testing my web site, particularly in verifying that the site is
correctly rejecting bot traffic that displays UAs from browsers that
were never valid -- on my site, I see a lot of traffic purporting to be
from "Firefox 40.1".

Smith

0
NFN
4/16/2018 6:11:24 PM
On 2018-04-16 9:47 AM, WaltS48 wrote:
> On 4/15/18 9:21 PM, cmcadams wrote:
>> WaltS48 wrote:
>>
>>> The Firefox browser works here. Y'all enjoy your problems.
>>
>> Sure, everybody knows Firefox is where all the cool kids are. All
>> those folks doing their best to steer clear must just be nuts.
>
> No, the compatible versions of Firefox, Chrome, Edge, IE11 and Safari
> are where all the modern web features are supported.
>
> You may be able to fool the site with a fake UA, but will the site
> display properly in a browser that doesn't support those features.
>
> It would have been nice if the USPS had listed what features will no
> longer be compatible.
>
> It baffles me that they are not aware of Firefox ESR and supporting that
> browser.

It's important to remember that this is a support forum. The point is to
help cmcadams get his problem solved, so he can continue to the use the
browser he wants to use without problems. Comments like "Y'all enjoy
your problems" are not helpful, and in my opinion, trolling.

--
Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>
Newsgroup moderator
NFN Smith wrote on 16-04-18 20:11:
> [...]
>
> To me, the key thing about using an extension is that it allows me to
> change user agents on the fly, and then switch back to the standard
> one when the need has passed.  Besides the noted effect on user agent
> handling in the mail client, I sometimes may spoof more than one agent
> at a particular site -- I have an archive of downloaded software that
> I use for tech support, and some sites are aggressive about doing
> browser sniffing for what platform you're running, and then offering
> *only* the download that matches what they find.  Thus, running from
> Windows, if I want Mac or Linux versions, I have to spoof the UA.  UA
> spoofing is also good for testing my web site, particularly in
> verifying that the site is correctly rejecting bot traffic that
> displays UAs from browsers that were never valid -- on my site, I see
> a lot of traffic purporting to be from "Firefox 40.1".

It's more simple to have the latest FireFox installed on my pc, So when
I have problem with SM, I jump into FireFox ... and all goes well ...
0
Ray_Net
4/16/2018 6:27:05 PM
NFN Smith wrote:

> For spoofing (and I do it a lot, for a number of reasons), my preference
> is to use an extension.  User Agent Switcher and PrefBar are both quite
> workable. Personally, I find PrefBar a little easier to use, and I also
> like some of the additional capacities that PrefBar gives me.
>
> To me, the key thing about using an extension is that it allows me to
> change user agents on the fly, and then switch back to the standard one
> when the need has passed.  Besides the noted effect on user agent
> handling in the mail client, I sometimes may spoof more than one agent
> at a particular site -- I have an archive of downloaded software that I
> use for tech support, and some sites are aggressive about doing browser
> sniffing for what platform you're running, and then offering *only* the
> download that matches what they find.  Thus, running from Windows, if I
> want Mac or Linux versions, I have to spoof the UA.  UA spoofing is also
> good for testing my web site, particularly in verifying that the site is
> correctly rejecting bot traffic that displays UAs from browsers that
> were never valid -- on my site, I see a lot of traffic purporting to be
> from "Firefox 40.1".

+1

Paul B. Gallagher
0
Paul
4/16/2018 8:23:08 PM
On 4/15/2018 7:54 PM, Felix Miata wrote:
> Ant via support-seamonkey composed on 2018-04-15 22:47 (UTC-0700):
>
>> Well, unsupported doesn't always mean blocked. Also, what about Firefox
>> ESR versions? :/
>
> Same moronic limitation with FF ESR52, but
>
> 	general.useragent.override.usps.com
>
> containing:
>
> 	Mozilla/5.0 (Windows > NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:59.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/59.0");
>
> or similar showing a sufficiently newer than 52.0 version works.

I entered in about:config:

general.useragent.override.usps.com;Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64;
x64; rv:59.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/59.0

This works fine for Basilisk 2018.03.21 (x64) and SeaMonkey.  On Fx
52.7.3 ESR, it does not work on either Windows 10 Pro (1709) or Windows
8.0 Pro.
0
Desiree
4/16/2018 11:34:43 PM
On 4/16/18, Desiree <melelina@medscape.com> wrote:
> On 4/15/2018 7:54 PM, Felix Miata wrote:
>> Ant via support-seamonkey composed on 2018-04-15 22:47 (UTC-0700):
>>
>>> Well, unsupported doesn't always mean blocked. Also, what about Firefox
>>> ESR versions? :/
>>
>> Same moronic limitation with FF ESR52, but
>>
>> 	general.useragent.override.usps.com
>>
>> containing:
>>
>> 	Mozilla/5.0 (Windows > NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:59.0) Gecko/20100101
>> Firefox/59.0");
>>
>> or similar showing a sufficiently newer than 52.0 version works.
>>
> I entered in about:config:
>
> general.useragent.override.usps.com;Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64;
> x64; rv:59.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/59.0
>
> This works fine for Basilisk 2018.03.21 (x64) and SeaMonkey.  On Fx
> 52.7.3 ESR, it does not work on either Windows 10 Pro (1709) or Windows
> 8.0 Pro.

That capability was removed years ago in Firefox.
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3D933959#c2
 Comment 2 =E2=80=A2 5 years ago

We intentionally don't initialize the UserAgentOverrides module on
desktop anymore. If you want to use it, you need an add-on for that.

note that general.useragent.override still works - it's the ability to
do a site specific override that the ff devs removed

Lee
0
Lee
4/17/2018 1:50:43 AM
Ray_Net wrote:
> User Agent Switcher and PrefBar

How do I get User Agent Switcher and PrefBar installed on SeaMonkey?
They tell me it's incompatible my with version of SeaMonkey, which is
2.49.2. As a matter of fact 98.2% of the add-ons in the add-on page are
greyed out and incompatible.

---

Mozilla
4/17/2018 9:55:07 PM
On 4/17/18 5:55 PM, Mozilla User wrote:
> Ray_Net wrote:
>> User Agent Switcher and PrefBar
>
> How do I get User Agent Switcher and PrefBar installed on SeaMonkey?
> They tell me it's incompatible my with version of SeaMonkey, which is
> 2.49.2. As a matter of fact 98.2% of the add-ons in the add-on page are
> greyed out and incompatible.

First you need to install the AMO Browsing for SeaMonkey extension.

<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/amo-browsing-for-seamonkey/>

Then do a search which should turn up an outdated version that will work.

SeaMonkey does not support the new web extensions that work with Firefox.

--
GO PENS!
Ubuntu 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop
0
WaltS48
4/17/2018 11:44:56 PM
WaltS48 wrote:
> On 4/17/18 5:55 PM, Mozilla User wrote:
>> Ray_Net wrote:
>>> User Agent Switcher and PrefBar
>>
>> How do I get User Agent Switcher and PrefBar installed on SeaMonkey?
>> They tell me it's incompatible my with version of SeaMonkey, which is
>> 2.49.2. As a matter of fact 98.2% of the add-ons in the add-on page
>> are greyed out and incompatible.
>>

> First you need to install the AMO Browsing for SeaMonkey extension.
>
> <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/amo-browsing-for-seamonkey/>
>

> Then do a search which should turn up an outdated version that will work.
>
> SeaMonkey does not support the new web extensions that work with Firefox.

  I installed AMO browsing, but User Agent still doesnt work. How is
everyone else able to use it?

---

Mozilla
4/18/2018 12:37:47 AM
Mozilla User wrote:
> WaltS48 wrote:
>>>
>>> How do I get User Agent Switcher and PrefBar installed on SeaMonkey?
>>> They tell me it's incompatible my with version of SeaMonkey, which is
>>> 2.49.2. As a matter of fact 98.2% of the add-ons in the add-on page
>>> are greyed out and incompatible.
>>>

>> First you need to install the AMO Browsing for SeaMonkey extension.
>>
>> <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/amo-browsing-for-seamonkey/>
>>

>> Then do a search which should turn up an outdated version that will work.
>>
>> SeaMonkey does not support the new web extensions that work with Firefox.
>>
>   I installed AMO browsing, but User Agent still doesnt work. How is
> everyone else able to use it?
>
> ---

I got it working up converting the outdated extension at
http://addonconverter.fotokraina.com/

User Agent now works.
0
Mozilla
4/18/2018 12:42:52 AM
Mozilla User wrote:
> First YouTube, then YahooMail, now I will soon no longer be able to
> track my packages through USPS using SeaMonkey.
>
> When on the USPS using SeaMonkey, I get this message:
> Alert: As of April 30, USPS.com will no longer support outdated
> browsers. To continue access, you may need to upgrade your browser. Read
> more ›
>
> :(

Strange thing is if you click the READ MORE link in the warning banner
you get this page with this message

<quote>
Good news — your browser is up to date.

You can continue to access all USPS.com features with your current
browser version.

Thank you for using USPS.com!
</quote>

Now there is a head-scratcher for you...

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.2

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
0
Jonathan
4/24/2018 1:26:33 AM
On 4/23/2018 6:26 PM, Jonathan N. Little wrote:
> Mozilla User wrote:
>> First YouTube, then YahooMail, now I will soon no longer be able to
>> track my packages through USPS using SeaMonkey.
>>
>> When on the USPS using SeaMonkey, I get this message:
>> Alert: As of April 30, USPS.com will no longer support outdated
>> browsers. To continue access, you may need to upgrade your browser.
>> Read more ›
>>
>> :(
>>

> Strange thing is if you click the READ MORE link in the warning banner
> you get this page with this message
>
> <quote>
> Good news — your browser is up to date.
>
> You can continue to access all USPS.com features with your current
> browser version.
>
> Thank you for using USPS.com!
> </quote>
>
> Now there is a head-scratcher for you...
>
> Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
> Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.2

We'll just have to wait until the end of this month to see what the
final truth is. :(
--
"This is the ant. Treat it with respect. For it may very well be the
next dominant lifeform of our planet." --Empire of the Ants movie
this signature correctly.
    /\___/\           Ant(Dude) @ Personal Web Site http://antfarm.ma.cx
   / /\ /\ \
  | |o   o| |          If crediting, then use Ant nickname and URL/link.
     \ _ /              Axe ANT from its address if e-mailing privately.
      ( )
0
Ant
4/24/2018 1:29:47 AM
Jonathan N. Little wrote:

> Mozilla User wrote:
>>
>> When on the USPS using SeaMonkey, I get this message:
>> Alert: As of April 30, USPS.com will no longer support outdated
>> browsers. To continue access, you may need to upgrade your browser.
>> Read more ›
>
> Strange thing is if you click the READ MORE link in the warning banner
> you get this page with this message
>
> <quote>
> Good news — your browser is up to date.
> </quote>
>
> Now there is a head-scratcher for you...

Not for me. The alert says you MAY need to upgrade your browser, not you
WILL need to upgrade your browser.

But what they really should do is run the test silently on the front
page, instead of scaring you into activating it. Then only those on
their $#!+ list get the nag.

I've seen enough dysfunctional websites over the years that one more
doesn't surprise me.

Paul B. Gallagher
0
Paul
4/24/2018 2:59:10 AM
Hmm, I'm currently not seeing any scanned images in my SeaMonkey v2.49.2
web browser in
https://informeddelivery.usps.com/box/pages/secure/DashboardAction_input.action?restart=1.
It was fine yesterday and before. What about the rest of you? It's not
even end of April yet! :/

Thank you in advance. :)
--
"I grew up in airports and on air bases. I know what flying and airports
can be. And most airports make me feel like we're about three per cent
this signature correctly.
    /\___/\           Ant(Dude) @ Personal Web Site http://antfarm.ma.cx
   / /\ /\ \
  | |o   o| |          If crediting, then use Ant nickname and URL/link.
     \ _ /              Axe ANT from its address if e-mailing privately.
      ( )
0
Ant
4/25/2018 5:24:52 PM
On 4/25/2018 10:24 AM, Ant wrote:
> Hmm, I'm currently not seeing any scanned images in my SeaMonkey v2.49.2
> web browser in
> https://informeddelivery.usps.com/box/pages/secure/DashboardAction_input.action?restart=1.
> It was fine yesterday and before. What about the rest of you? It's not
> even end of April yet! :/
>
> Thank you in advance. :)

Also, it worked fine in my 64-bit W7's IE11 web browser. Enabling send
referer, disablong uBlock Origin, and changing user agent (Firefox,
IE11, etc.) didn't help.
--
"Is it for pleasure you were made? Not for doing, and for action? Look
at the plants, the sparrows, the ants, spiders, bees, all doing their
this signature correctly.
    /\___/\           Ant(Dude) @ Personal Web Site http://antfarm.ma.cx
   / /\ /\ \
  | |o   o| |          If crediting, then use Ant nickname and URL/link.
     \ _ /              Axe ANT from its address if e-mailing privately.
      ( )
0
Ant
4/25/2018 5:28:05 PM
On 4/25/2018 10:28 AM, Ant wrote:
> On 4/25/2018 10:24 AM, Ant wrote:
>> Hmm, I'm currently not seeing any scanned images in my SeaMonkey
>> v2.49.2 web browser in
>> https://informeddelivery.usps.com/box/pages/secure/DashboardAction_input.action?restart=1.
>> It was fine yesterday and before. What about the rest of you? It's not
>> even end of April yet! :/
>>
>> Thank you in advance. :)
>
> Also, it worked fine in my 64-bit W7's IE11 web browser. Enabling send
> referer, disablong uBlock Origin, and changing user agent (Firefox,
> IE11, etc.) didn't help.

OK, that's weird/odd. I restarted my SM and retried. It now works. I
have NO idea why that happened! :/
--
"One day he sprained an ankle rather than crush an ant." --Les Miserables
this signature correctly.
    /\___/\           Ant(Dude) @ Personal Web Site http://antfarm.ma.cx
   / /\ /\ \
  | |o   o| |          If crediting, then use Ant nickname and URL/link.
     \ _ /              Axe ANT from its address if e-mailing privately.
      ( )
0
Ant
4/25/2018 5:32:04 PM
Ant wrote on 25/04/2018 19:24:
> Hmm, I'm currently not seeing any scanned images in my SeaMonkey v2.49.2
> web browser in
> https://informeddelivery.usps.com/box/pages/secure/DashboardAction_input.action?restart=1.
> It was fine yesterday and before. What about the rest of you? It's not
> even end of April yet! :/
>
> Thank you in advance. :)

It works fine for me, I am on v2.49.1

sincerely,

GerardJan
4/25/2018 6:00:27 PM
Ant wrote:
> On 4/25/2018 10:28 AM, Ant wrote:
>> On 4/25/2018 10:24 AM, Ant wrote:
>>> Hmm, I'm currently not seeing any scanned images in my SeaMonkey
>>> v2.49.2 web browser in
>>> https://informeddelivery.usps.com/box/pages/secure/DashboardAction_input.action?restart=1.
>>> It was fine yesterday and before. What about the rest of you? It's
>>> not even end of April yet! :/
>>>
>>> Thank you in advance. :)
>>
>> Also, it worked fine in my 64-bit W7's IE11 web browser. Enabling send
>> referer, disablong uBlock Origin, and changing user agent (Firefox,
>> IE11, etc.) didn't help.
>
> OK, that's weird/odd. I restarted my SM and retried. It now works. I
> have NO idea why that happened! :/

Probably because you cleared private data automatically on shutdown.
Settings for this feature at Edit | Preferences | Privacy & Security |
Private Data.

Paul B. Gallagher

0
Paul
4/25/2018 6:56:46 PM
On 4/25/2018 11:56 AM, Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
>> OK, that's weird/odd. I restarted my SM and retried. It now works. I
>> have NO idea why that happened! :/
>
> Probably because you cleared private data automatically on shutdown.
> Settings for this feature at Edit | Preferences | Privacy & Security |
> Private Data.

I don't have SM to autoclear at shutdown. :/
--
"Ants are the dominant insects of the world, and they've had a great
impact on habitats almost all over the land surface of the world for
this signature correctly.
    /\___/\           Ant(Dude) @ Personal Web Site http://antfarm.ma.cx
   / /\ /\ \
  | |o   o| |          If crediting, then use Ant nickname and URL/link.
     \ _ /              Axe ANT from its address if e-mailing privately.
      ( )
0
Ant
4/25/2018 8:15:35 PM
Mozilla User wrote:
> First YouTube, then YahooMail, now I will soon no longer be able to
> track my packages through USPS using SeaMonkey.
>
> When on the USPS using SeaMonkey, I get this message:
> Alert: As of April 30, USPS.com will no longer support outdated
> browsers. To continue access, you may need to upgrade your browser. Read
> more ›
>
> :(
>
> I guess years of using the Mozilla Browser, and then SeaMonkey are about
> to come to an end. I loved the idea of it and have been a loyal user for
> about 15 years, but now I guess I need to switch to FireFox. It's just a
> pain in the neck to keep switching between browsers for certain
> websites. I like having one browser for everything.

Just wanted to let the group know that I found myself totally unable to
complete a customs form on the USPS website on Monday.  I wound up
having to physically fill one out at the local post office to get my
package sent.

This is impacting more that SeaMonkey, I was unable to do so with the
CURRENT FireFox and Google Chrome either here on my linux mint 18.3 x64
system!  I can only assume that their snooping is not happy with linux
browsers.

I assume that at some point I could spoof a user agent string that will
make USPS happy, but this is getting ridiculous when current releases of
major browsers are not being supported simply because they are linux
releases.

Dave
0
David
6/13/2018 2:21:15 PM
On 06/13/2018 09:21 AM, David H. Durgee wrote:
> Mozilla User wrote:
>> First YouTube, then YahooMail, now I will soon no longer be able to=20
>> track my packages through USPS using SeaMonkey.
>>
>> When on the USPS using SeaMonkey, I get this message:
>> Alert: As of April 30, USPS.com will no longer support outdated=20
>> browsers. To continue access, you may need to upgrade your browser.=20
>> Read more =E2=80=BA
>>
>> :(
>>
>> I guess years of using the Mozilla Browser, and then SeaMonkey are=20
>> about to come to an end. I loved the idea of it and have been a loyal =

>> user for about 15 years, but now I guess I need to switch to FireFox. =

>> It's just a pain in the neck to keep switching between browsers for=20
>> certain websites. I like having one browser for everything.
>>
>=20
> Just wanted to let the group know that I found myself totally unable to=
=20
> complete a customs form on the USPS website on Monday.=C2=A0 I wound up=
=20
> having to physically fill one out at the local post office to get my=20
> package sent.
>=20
> This is impacting more that SeaMonkey, I was unable to do so with the=20
> CURRENT FireFox and Google Chrome either here on my linux mint 18.3 x64=
=20
> system!=C2=A0 I can only assume that their snooping is not happy with l=
inux=20
> browsers.
>=20
> I assume that at some point I could spoof a user agent string that will=
=20
> make USPS happy, but this is getting ridiculous when current releases o=
f=20
> major browsers are not being supported simply because they are linux=20
> releases.
>=20
> Dave

Does USPS know there is a problem?
IOW have *YOU* told the Postmaster General that there is a problem?

About 50 years ago I observed USPS vehicles driven in an=20
improper/illegal manner. I complained to local Postmaster. I was=20
effectively told "Go jump in the lake!" After all I WAS a college=20
student and Cayuga Lake was convenient. Email not having been invented,=20
I sent a "snail mail" letter to the Postmaster General. It got a prompt=20
response from state/regional/local administrators. The local postmaster=20
then stated "there was no problem" BUT "he would meet with me at *MY*=20
personal convenience. I declined as I had observed USPS drivers no=20
longer doing "bad things".

IN OTHER WORDS
"If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem!"

0
Richard
6/13/2018 8:15:54 PM
On 6/13/18 4:15 PM, Richard Owlett wrote:
> On 06/13/2018 09:21 AM, David H. Durgee wrote:
>> Mozilla User wrote:
>>> First YouTube, then YahooMail, now I will soon no longer be able to
>>> track my packages through USPS using SeaMonkey.
>>>
>>> When on the USPS using SeaMonkey, I get this message:
>>> Alert: As of April 30, USPS.com will no longer support outdated
>>> browsers. To continue access, you may need to upgrade your browser.
>>> Read more ›
>>>
>>> :(
>>>
>>> I guess years of using the Mozilla Browser, and then SeaMonkey are
>>> about to come to an end. I loved the idea of it and have been a loyal
>>> user for about 15 years, but now I guess I need to switch to FireFox.
>>> It's just a pain in the neck to keep switching between browsers for
>>> certain websites. I like having one browser for everything.
>>>

>> Just wanted to let the group know that I found myself totally unable
>> to complete a customs form on the USPS website on Monday.  I wound up
>> having to physically fill one out at the local post office to get my
>> package sent.
>>
>> This is impacting more that SeaMonkey, I was unable to do so with the
>> CURRENT FireFox and Google Chrome either here on my linux mint 18.3
>> x64 system!  I can only assume that their snooping is not happy with
>> linux browsers.
>>
>> I assume that at some point I could spoof a user agent string that
>> will make USPS happy, but this is getting ridiculous when current
>> releases of major browsers are not being supported simply because they
>> are linux releases.
>>
>> Dave
>
> Does USPS know there is a problem?
> IOW have *YOU* told the Postmaster General that there is a problem?
>
> About 50 years ago I observed USPS vehicles driven in an
> improper/illegal manner. I complained to local Postmaster. I was
> effectively told "Go jump in the lake!" After all I WAS a college
> student and Cayuga Lake was convenient. Email not having been invented,
> I sent a "snail mail" letter to the Postmaster General. It got a prompt
> response from state/regional/local administrators. The local postmaster
> then stated "there was no problem" BUT "he would meet with me at *MY*
> personal convenience. I declined as I had observed USPS drivers no
> longer doing "bad things".

Depends on the vehicle, but my mailman drives a mail vehicle with the
steering wheel on the right hand side of the vehicle, so he can drive
down streets in the correct lane and put the mail in street side mailboxes.

Maybe the one you saw was driving in an improper/illegal manner because
they had to put the mail in mailboxes on the opposite side of the street
and his steering wheel was on the left.

Thank you for notifying the Postmaster General that there is a problem
with using the SeaMonkey browser on their website and being part of the
solution. 👏

RAM: 8 GiB
Graphics: GeForce GT 630/PCIe/SSE2
OS: Ubuntu Linux 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop
0
WaltS48
6/14/2018 12:10:36 AM
David H. Durgee wrote:
> Just wanted to let the group know that I found myself totally unable to
> complete a customs form on the USPS website on Monday.  I wound up
> having to physically fill one out at the local post office to get my
> package sent.
>
> This is impacting more that SeaMonkey, I was unable to do so with the
> CURRENT FireFox and Google Chrome either here on my linux mint 18.3 x64
> system!  I can only assume that their snooping is not happy with linux
> browsers.
>
> I assume that at some point I could spoof a user agent string that will
> make USPS happy, but this is getting ridiculous when current releases of
> major browsers are not being supported simply because they are linux
> releases.

One related note --

If you're having problems with a site, where you end up spoofing your UA
string, and then you have continued problems with the site, it may not
be just the UA that's causing problems.

Take a moment to clear your cache then restart Seamonkey.  A clean cache
can really help.

Smith

0
NFN
6/14/2018 1:01:01 AM
Mozilla User wrote:
> First YouTube, then YahooMail, now I will soon no longer be able to
> track my packages through USPS using SeaMonkey.
>
> When on the USPS using SeaMonkey, I get this message:
> Alert: As of April 30, USPS.com will no longer support outdated
> browsers. To continue access, you may need to upgrade your browser.
> Read more ›
>
> :(
>
> I guess years of using the Mozilla Browser, and then SeaMonkey are
> about to come to an end. I loved the idea of it and have been a loyal
> user for about 15 years, but now I guess I need to switch to FireFox.
> It's just a pain in the neck to keep switching between browsers for
> certain websites. I like having one browser for everything.
>
> ---

For me USPS works fine, however, PayPal stop accepting SM on Windows 10
just today.
0
stan
6/14/2018 6:42:32 AM
Mozilla User wrote:
> First YouTube, then YahooMail, now I will soon no longer be able to
> track my packages through USPS using SeaMonkey.
>
> When on the USPS using SeaMonkey, I get this message:
> Alert: As of April 30, USPS.com will no longer support outdated
> browsers. To continue access, you may need to upgrade your browser.
> Read more ›
>
> :(
>
> I guess years of using the Mozilla Browser, and then SeaMonkey are
> about to come to an end. I loved the idea of it and have been a loyal
> user for about 15 years, but now I guess I need to switch to FireFox.
> It's just a pain in the neck to keep switching between browsers for
> certain websites. I like having one browser for everything.
>
> ---

For me USPS works a OK, however, PayPal is asking for other browser as
of today.
May HTTP_USER_AGENT: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.3
0
stan
6/14/2018 7:05:18 AM
David H. Durgee wrote:
> Mozilla User wrote:
>> First YouTube, then YahooMail, now I will soon no longer be able to tr=
ack my=20
>> packages through USPS using SeaMonkey.
>>
>> When on the USPS using SeaMonkey, I get this message:
>> Alert: As of April 30, USPS.com will no longer support outdated browse=
rs. To=20
>> continue access, you may need to upgrade your browser. Read more =E2=80=
=BA

>> :(
>>
>> I guess years of using the Mozilla Browser, and then SeaMonkey are abo=
ut to come to=20
>> an end. I loved the idea of it and have been a loyal user for about 15=
 years, but=20
>> now I guess I need to switch to FireFox. It's just a pain in the neck =
to keep=20
>> switching between browsers for certain websites. I like having one bro=
wser for=20
>> everything.
>>
>=20
> Just wanted to let the group know that I found myself totally unable to=
 complete a=20
> customs form on the USPS website on Monday.=C2=A0 I wound up having to =
physically fill one=20
> out at the local post office to get my package sent.
>=20
> This is impacting more that SeaMonkey, I was unable to do so with the C=
URRENT FireFox=20
> and Google Chrome either here on my linux mint 18.3 x64 system!=C2=A0 I=
 can only assume=20
> that their snooping is not happy with linux browsers.
>=20
> I assume that at some point I could spoof a user agent string that will=
 make USPS=20
> happy, but this is getting ridiculous when current releases of major br=
owsers are not=20
> being supported simply because they are linux releases.
>=20
> Dave

For what it's worth, my UA string for USPS is spoofed as

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:59.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox=
/59.0

and when the same (red) message appears I click on "Read more" and it tel=
ls me I am=20
virtuous and everything is ducky. No functional problems, but I haven't t=
ried to do=20
much on USPS lately.

0
cmcadams
6/14/2018 6:57:21 PM
  <head>
  </head>
      cite="mid:jPydnUJjGbIJJ7_GnZ2dnUU7-IHNnZ2d@mozilla.org">David H.
      Durgee wrote:
[...]
      it tells me I am virtuous and everything is ducky. No functional
      problems, but I haven't tried to do much on USPS lately.
        Logged into my account using the string:<br>
    <pre><font color="#3366ff">User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.4
          On the line that says they are not going to support out of
          date browsers, I clicked on the "read more" line and got:</font><br>
        <h1 id="top"><font color="#cc0000">Good news — your browser is
            up to date.</font></h1>
            features with your current browser version.</font></p>
              they DO support SeaMonkey.</font><br>
    <pre class="moz-signature" cols="166">--
"This is America!  You can't make a horse
 testify against himself!"      Mister Ed    </pre>
0
UTF
6/14/2018 7:39:00 PM
=F0=9F=90=B4 Mr. Ed =F0=9F=90=B4 wrote:
> On 06/14/18 2:57 PM, cmcadams wrote:
>> David H. Durgee wrote:

>>> Just wanted to let the group know that I found myself totally unable =
to complete a=20
>>> customs form on the USPS website on Monday.=C2=A0 I wound up having t=
o physically fill=20
>>> one out at the local post office to get my package sent.
>>>
>>> This is impacting more that SeaMonkey, I was unable to do so with the=
 CURRENT=20
>>> FireFox and Google Chrome either here on my linux mint 18.3 x64 syste=
m!=C2=A0 I can=20
>>> only assume that their snooping is not happy with linux browsers.
>>>
>>> I assume that at some point I could spoof a user agent string that wi=
ll make USPS=20
>>> happy, but this is getting ridiculous when current releases of major =
browsers are=20
>>> not being supported simply because they are linux releases.
>>>
>>> Dave
>>
>> For what it's worth, my UA string for USPS is spoofed as
>>
>> Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:59.0) Gecko/20100101 Fire=
fox/59.0

>> and when the same (red) message appears I click on "Read more" and it =
tells me I am=20
>> virtuous and everything is ducky. No functional problems, but I haven'=
t tried to do=20
>> much on USPS lately.
>>
>=20
> Logged into my account using the string:
>=20
> User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20=
100101=20
> SeaMonkey/2.49.4
>=20
>=20
> On the line that says they are not going to support out of date browser=
s, I clicked=20
> on the "read more" line and got:
>=20
>=20
>   Good news =E2=80=94 your browser is up to date.
>=20
> You can continue to access all USPS.com features with your current brow=
ser version.
>=20
> Thank you for using USPS.com!
>=20
> So it looks like they DO support SeaMonkey.
>=20
> --=20
> "This is America!  You can't make a horse
>   testify against himself!"      Mister Ed
>=20

Sneaky or honest, whatever gets you in. I'm not a strict constructionist =
when it=20
comes to UA strings.

0
cmcadams
6/15/2018 2:52:07 AM
NFN Smith wrote:
> David H. Durgee wrote:
>> Just wanted to let the group know that I found myself totally unable
>> to complete a customs form on the USPS website on Monday.  I wound up
>> having to physically fill one out at the local post office to get my
>> package sent.
>>
>> This is impacting more that SeaMonkey, I was unable to do so with the
>> CURRENT FireFox and Google Chrome either here on my linux mint 18.3
>> x64 system!  I can only assume that their snooping is not happy with
>> linux browsers.
>>
>> I assume that at some point I could spoof a user agent string that
>> will make USPS happy, but this is getting ridiculous when current
>> releases of major browsers are not being supported simply because
>> they are linux releases.
>

> One related note --
>
> If you're having problems with a site, where you end up spoofing your
> UA string, and then you have continued problems with the site, it may
> not be just the UA that's causing problems.
>
> Take a moment to clear your cache then restart Seamonkey.  A clean
> cache can really help.
>
> Smith

Thanks, very helpful, it fixed my problem with the PayPal
0
stan
6/15/2018 5:15:42 AM
stan wrote:
> Mozilla User wrote:
>> First YouTube, then YahooMail, now I will soon no longer be able to track my packages through USPS
>> using SeaMonkey.
>>
>> When on the USPS using SeaMonkey, I get this message:
>> Alert: As of April 30, USPS.com will no longer support outdated browsers. To continue access, you
>> may need to upgrade your browser. Read more ›
>>
>> :(
>>
>> I guess years of using the Mozilla Browser, and then SeaMonkey are about to come to an end. I
>> loved the idea of it and have been a loyal user for about 15 years, but now I guess I need to
>> switch to FireFox. It's just a pain in the neck to keep switching between browsers for certain
>> websites. I like having one browser for everything.
>>
>> ---
>>
> For me USPS works a OK, however, PayPal is asking for other browser as of today.
> May HTTP_USER_AGENT: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0
> SeaMonkey/2.49.3
I get into PayPal with the following User Agent:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.3
0
Arnie