User agent switcher #2

I am using SeaMonkey 2.49.5 with Windows 10.  What is the best
switcher/changer to use with this version?  I searched the add-ons and
most say they are not compatible with my version of SM.
0
Ken
2/7/2020 8:41:18 PM
mozilla.support.seamonkey 13358 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

I still use PrefBar from http://prefbar.tuxfamily.org.
--
"Ah. Those club kids did eat those ants up like popcorn." --CSI: Miami
(Wannabe episode; #218)
  | |o   o| |   Axe ANT from its address if shown & e-mailing privately.
     \ _ /       Please kindly use Ant nickname & URL/link if crediting.
      ( )
0
Ant
2/7/2020 8:52:24 PM
Ant wrote:
> On 2/7/2020 12:41 PM, Ken wrote:
>> I am using SeaMonkey 2.49.5 with Windows 10.  What is the best
>> switcher/changer to use with this version?  I searched the add-ons and
>> most say they are not compatible with my version of SM.
>
> I still use PrefBar from http://prefbar.tuxfamily.org.

I am using PrefBar version 7.1.1 and the choices for spoofing are just
like the link you posted.  I tried several of the choices and they
seemed very old compared to current browser versions.  Is there
something better???
0
Ken
2/7/2020 9:29:59 PM
Ken wrote:
> Ant wrote:
>> On 2/7/2020 12:41 PM, Ken wrote:
>>> I am using SeaMonkey 2.49.5 with Windows 10.  What is the best
>>> switcher/changer to use with this version?  I searched the add-ons and most
>>> say they are not compatible with my version of SM.
>>
>> I still use PrefBar from http://prefbar.tuxfamily.org.
>
> I am using PrefBar version 7.1.1 and the choices for spoofing are just like
> the link you posted.  I tried several of the choices and they seemed very old
> compared to current browser versions.  Is there something better???

You can add new ones easy in prefbar.

FRG
0
Frank

I use "User Agent Switcher" 0.7.3.1
https://addons.thunderbird.net/de/seamonkey/addon/user-agent-switcher/
Converted via  http://addonconverter.fotokraina.com/

Works fine for me.

CU

Rainer
0
Rainer
2/7/2020 10:07:37 PM
On 2/7/2020 1:29 PM, Ken wrote:
> Ant wrote:
>> On 2/7/2020 12:41 PM, Ken wrote:
>>> I am using SeaMonkey 2.49.5 with Windows 10.=C2=A0 What is the best=20
>>> switcher/changer to use with this version?=C2=A0 I searched the add-o=
ns and=20
>>> most say they are not compatible with my version of SM.
>>
>> I still use PrefBar from http://prefbar.tuxfamily.org.
>=20
> I am using PrefBar version 7.1.1 and the choices for spoofing are just =

> like the link you posted.  I tried several of the choices and they=20
> seemed very old compared to current browser versions.  Is there=20
> something better???
>=20

Every so often, I check my ISP's log of visits to my Web site.  The log
includes the user agent (UA) strings of the browsers that accessed my
Web site.  I use that to update PrefBar's list.

I have not updated recently.  The latest UA strings include Firefox 66,
Chrome 78.0.3904.108, and Edge 18.17763.  If I have time this weekend
(quite likely since I am laid up with a sore foot), I plan to update the
list.  If you want a copy of the list, reply in this thread.  The copy
will be exported from PrefBar, and you can import it into your version
of PrefBar without having to manually change each entry.

--=20
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Beyond Meat and other such vegetarian meat substitutes
represent the ultimate in ultra-processed foods.  Real
meat is natural.  Beyond Meat is definitely not.  No,
I do NOT own a cattle ranch, a butcher shop, or any
other business doing commerce in meat.

0
David
2/7/2020 10:11:42 PM
Ken wrote:
> Ant wrote:
>> On 2/7/2020 12:41 PM, Ken wrote:
>>> I am using SeaMonkey 2.49.5 with Windows 10.  What is the best
>>> switcher/changer to use with this version?  I searched the add-ons
>>> and most say they are not compatible with my version of SM.
>>
>> I still use PrefBar from http://prefbar.tuxfamily.org.
>
> I am using PrefBar version 7.1.1 and the choices for spoofing are just
> like the link you posted.  I tried several of the choices and they
> seemed very old compared to current browser versions.  Is there
> something better???

One more vote for PrefBar.  Yes, you have to periodically update the
list of browsers.

Smith
0
NFN
2/8/2020 12:31:08 AM
NFN Smith wrote:
> Ken wrote:
>> Ant wrote:
>>>
>>> I still use PrefBar from http://prefbar.tuxfamily.org.
>>
>> I am using PrefBar version 7.1.1 and the choices for spoofing are just
>> like the link you posted.  I tried several of the choices and they
>> seemed very old compared to current browser versions.  Is there
>> something better???
>

> One more vote for PrefBar.  Yes, you have to periodically update the
> list of browsers.
>
> Smith
How do you do this????
0
Ken
2/8/2020 1:45:02 AM

>>> I am using PrefBar version 7.1.1 and the choices for spoofing are
>>> just like the link you posted.  I tried several of the choices and
>>> they seemed very old compared to current browser versions.  Is there
>>> something better???
>>
>> One more vote for PrefBar.  Yes, you have to periodically update the
>> list of browsers.

> How do you do this????

You have to update PrefBar's user agents manually like shown in mine in
this uploaded screen shot/capture:
https://justpaste.it/img/small/afacb36c43ec9bb55ace138c138c3075.gif
--
"I love ants. Do they have uncles? Ha Ha!" --Elmo from Sesame Street
(unknown episode)
this signature correctly.
    /\___/\                     http://aqfl.net & http://antfarm.ma.cx /
   / /\ /\ \                                 http://antfarm.home.dhs.org
  | |o   o| |   Axe ANT from its address if shown & e-mailing privately.
     \ _ /       Please kindly use Ant nickname & URL/link if crediting.
      ( )
0
Ant
2/8/2020 2:52:02 AM
Ken wrote:
> NFN Smith wrote:

>> One more vote for PrefBar.  Yes, you have to periodically update the
>> list of browsers.
>>
>> Smith
> How do you do this????

I keep a PrefBar taskbar, which includes a drop-down for UA
specification.  That allows me to change the UA on demand.

To adjust UA strings, I right-click on that, and select "Edit button
'User Agent'.

That gives the list of UAs available, and I can edit from there.

Since I have Firefox, Chrome, Opera and PaleMoon all available on my
computer (whether full installations or portable), I can find the UAs of
current versions.  Plus, I do some measure of spoofing of operating
system.  In particular, I keep one setting that shows Firefox 68 with
Mac Mojave, to allow for downloading at sites that support both Windows
and Mac, but use browser sniffing to decide which download that they're
going to give you (and assuming that you're installing immediately). By
spoofing O/S, I can download Mac versions of stuff that I keep in my
downloads archive.

I also have one UA setting that shows Firefox 60 and Seamonkey 2.53.1,
which I use on sites that complain about Firefox 52 and Seamonkey 2.49.5.

One other place that I make occasional use of browser spoofing is if I'm
testing access filters on the web page I maintain.  There's a lot of
forged stuff that's from botnet access, and by temporarily showing a bad
UA that I recognize from the logs, I can verify if my filters are
correctly rejecting access that shows that particular UA.  One that I've
seen a lot of over the last couple of years is accesses that claim to be
"Firefox 40.1" (a version of Firefox that was never valid), and setting
Seamonkey to show that one allowed me verify that the web site is
rejecting those accesses.

Although the most common reason for spoofing (especially by a Seamonkey
user) would be to get around sites that are demanding current versions
of Firefox, there's other useful things that you can do with spoofing.

Smith

0
NFN
2/8/2020 6:26:56 PM
Ken wrote:
> I am using SeaMonkey 2.49.5 with Windows 10.  What is the best
> switcher/changer to use with this version?  I searched the add-ons and most
> say they are not compatible with my version of SM.

What you need to do is increase the max version of the target application in
install.rdf inside the .xpi file before trying to install it.
0
EE
2/8/2020 6:37:57 PM
  <head>
  </head>
      cite="mid:IaGdndC_F_uYnaLDnZ2dnUU7-aGdnZ2d@mozilla.org">Ken wrote:
        10.  What is the best switcher/changer to use with this
        version?  I searched the add-ons and most say they are not
        compatible with my version of SM.
      What you need to do is increase the max version of the target
      application in install.rdf inside the .xpi file before trying to
      install it.
        You can also go here:  <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://addonconverter.fotokraina.com/">http://addonconverter.fotokraina.com/</a><br>
    <pre class="moz-signature" cols="78">--
"This is America!  You can't make a horse
 testify against himself!"          -Mister Ed</pre>
0
UTF
2/8/2020 6:43:17 PM
NFN Smith wrote on 9/02/2020 5:26 AM:

<Snip>

> One other place that I make occasional use of browser spoofing is if I'm
> testing access filters on the web page I maintain.  There's a lot of
> forged stuff that's from botnet access, and by temporarily showing a bad
> UA that I recognize from the logs, I can verify if my filters are
> correctly rejecting access that shows that particular UA.  One that I've
> seen a lot of over the last couple of years is accesses that claim to be
> "Firefox 40.1" (a version of Firefox that was never valid), and setting
> Seamonkey to show that one allowed me verify that the web site is
> rejecting those accesses.
>
> Although the most common reason for spoofing (especially by a Seamonkey
> user) would be to get around sites that are demanding current versions
> of Firefox, there's other useful things that you can do with spoofing.
>
> Smith

Whilst reading your post, I was wondering "What would happen if someone
were to use a UA string something like 'FF 99.60.1' or 'SM 99.53.1'"

O.K., maybe the '99' might be a little far fetched, but, rather then
spoofing the newest version UA or a near future UA, spoof a far future
UA and see if it would (always) be 'acceptable'!!

--
Daniel

Win7 User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.5 Build identifier: 20190609032134

Linux User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623
0
Daniel
2/9/2020 7:44:20 AM
Daniel wrote:
> Whilst reading your post, I was wondering "What would happen if someone
> were to use a UA string something like 'FF 99.60.1' or 'SM 99.53.1'"
>
> O.K., maybe the '99' might be a little far fetched, but, rather then
> spoofing the newest version UA or a near future UA, spoof a far future
> UA and see if it would (always) be 'acceptable'!!

It's certainly possible, although something that's too far away from
something reasonable might get you noticed.  There's a lot of botnet
traffic out there that shows forged UAs, and some web site admins may
set their sites to reject connections from UAs that are obviously bogus.

Smith
0
NFN
2/10/2020 10:54:43 PM
NFN Smith wrote on 11/02/2020 9:54 AM:
> Daniel wrote:
>> Whilst reading your post, I was wondering "What would happen if
>> someone were to use a UA string something like 'FF 99.60.1' or 'SM
>> 99.53.1'"
>>
>> O.K., maybe the '99' might be a little far fetched, but, rather then
>> spoofing the newest version UA or a near future UA, spoof a far future
>> UA and see if it would (always) be 'acceptable'!!
>

> It's certainly possible, although something that's too far away from
> something reasonable might get you noticed.  There's a lot of botnet
> traffic out there that shows forged UAs, and some web site admins may
> set their sites to reject connections from UAs that are obviously bogus.
>
> Smith

Valid ... but that would mean that admins might get away with, say, FF
70, but, in the not to distant future, they'd be adjusting their filters
to FF 80, or something higher, again.