Unable to import seamonkey 1.x to Seamonkey 2.0

SeaMonkey 2.0 fails to import all my mail folders and everything ticked
in the selection what should be imported.
After it imports and correctly finds the correct profile, it just still
shows blank mail folders.

If I restart SeaMonkey mail, it asks me again if I want to configure email!?

This repeatable and it just doesn't want to import any mail.

0
admin
12/21/2009 1:49:03 AM
mozilla.support.seamonkey 13173 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

admin@mmri.us wrote:
> SeaMonkey 2.0 fails to import all my mail folders and everything ticked
> in the selection what should be imported.
> After it imports and correctly finds the correct profile, it just still
> shows blank mail folders.
>
> If I restart SeaMonkey mail, it asks me again if I want to configure
> email!?
>
> This repeatable and it just doesn't want to import any mail.

I had the same issue with 2.0.
0
John
12/21/2009 4:27:47 AM
admin@mmri.us schrieb:
> SeaMonkey 2.0 fails to import all my mail folders and everything ticked
> in the selection what should be imported.
> After it imports and correctly finds the correct profile, it just still
> shows blank mail folders.
>
> If I restart SeaMonkey mail, it asks me again if I want to configure
> email!?
>
> This repeatable and it just doesn't want to import any mail.

No real solution but a possible workaround:
- set up new email-accounts like they were im SM1, close SM2
- copy the old mailbox-files (inbox, sent,...) to the new profile over
the new empty files.
- restart SM2

regards
Martin
/\  www.asciiribbon.org   - http://www.asciiribbon.org/index-de.html
0
Martin
12/21/2009 10:33:15 AM
Martin Freitag wrote:
> admin@mmri.us schrieb:
>> SeaMonkey 2.0 fails to import all my mail folders and everything ticked
>> in the selection what should be imported.
>> After it imports and correctly finds the correct profile, it just still
>> shows blank mail folders.
>>
>> If I restart SeaMonkey mail, it asks me again if I want to configure
>> email!?
>>
>> This repeatable and it just doesn't want to import any mail.
>
> No real solution but a possible workaround:
> - set up new email-accounts like they were im SM1, close SM2
> - copy the old mailbox-files (inbox, sent,...) to the new profile over
> the new empty files.
> - restart SM2
>
> regards
> Martin
very poor choice--a well designed program would not require that kind of
work.
0
John
12/21/2009 2:13:57 PM
John wrote:
> very poor choice--a well designed program would not require that kind of
> work.

Fully agreed, and as a volunteer project we like any help we can get to
actually work on improving that design.

Robert Kaiser
0
Robert
12/21/2009 3:03:02 PM
Robert Kaiser wrote:
> John wrote:
>> very poor choice--a well designed program would not require that kind of
>> work.
>
> Fully agreed, and as a volunteer project we like any help we can get to
> actually work on improving that design.

That's a good idea,... but what programming knowledge is required to
help ? (if we don't have it , should we learn it ? (i have knowledge of
cobol, fortran, rpg, Linc-4GL, VisualBasic4.0, DMSII, UPL SDL,
Mainframes-Harware, MCPII ... would this help ?)
0
Ray_Net
12/21/2009 4:24:31 PM
On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 17:24:31 +0100, Ray_Net wrote:

> That's a good idea,... but what programming knowledge is required to
> help ? (if we don't have it , should we learn it ? (i have knowledge of
> cobol, fortran, rpg, Linc-4GL, VisualBasic4.0, DMSII, UPL SDL,
> Mainframes-Harware, MCPII ... would this help ?)

When I first started contributing to Flashblock, not even to SeaMonkey
(or Mozilla Suite at that time) the languages I knew were RPG III,
PL/SQL, xBase (Clipper, FoxPro, xHarbour), a bit of TurboPascal,
FORTRAN, COBOL. At university I learnt Algol68 and BCPL. Fast forward
five years later and I've suddenly become the Flashblock owner *and* am
listed as a "active" SeaMonkey developer. Go figure.

Phil

--
Philip Chee <philip@aleytys.pc.my>, <philip.chee@gmail.com>
[ ]Don't crij... You can format drive C:, can't you?

0
Philip
12/22/2009 4:14:02 PM
Does this mean that,  it is eventually the end  of all 1.x mail?
What about all my filters? Stored Passwords? etc

I use this in a corporate environment and it is going to be very painful
to tell everyone that this is now the end of their email and they will
have to completely start from scratch setting up everything.
I think it is a bit irresponsible to just drop all users on the path to 2.0.

Sure it is trivial for me to write a bash script to do all you mention
below but I am not so sure it will be easy to decipher how to create the
same user accounts and folders  on 2.0 before the script is used for the
migration.

And how about filters? Can anyone tell me if filters can be imported?
This is pretty serious as they work really great for me as I currently
filter on one account and copy the filters to all user accounts which
works very nicely. Almost no spam.

If full import from 1.9 to 2.0 is not possible, anyone interested in
forking development along 1.x ?
I guess it will be only us Linux users who want to fork as on Win you
lose your data typically within a year anyway, so 2.0 makes more sense
for windows.

Martin Freitag wrote:

> No real solution but a possible workaround:
> - set up new email-accounts like they were im SM1, close SM2
> - copy the old mailbox-files (inbox, sent,...) to the new profile over
> the new empty files.
> - restart SM2
>
> regards
> Martin

0
admin
12/22/2009 6:38:38 PM
admin@mmri.us schrieb:
> Does this mean that,  it is eventually the end  of all 1.x mail?
> What about all my filters? Stored Passwords? etc
>
> I use this in a corporate environment and it is going to be very painful
> to tell everyone that this is now the end of their email and they will
> have to completely start from scratch setting up everything.#

In a corporate environment users usually don't set up their clients
theirselves o_0
have you ever tried migrating on several machines? Thousands of users
(icluding me) have migrated successfully I doubt it will fail for all on
your side. And if so, something is seriously borked on all systems and
it should be the same cause everywhere.
regards

Martin
/\  www.asciiribbon.org   - http://www.asciiribbon.org/index-de.html
0
Martin
12/24/2009 10:45:15 PM
All the users email is on one server they access it through SSH.
What I mean is that seemingly to move to 2.x will mean huge loss of
features and all kinds of tricks to use 2.x

I never said users must set up their own email, and they do not here. It
is all on one server.
I think you place words in my mouth.

Martin Freitag wrote:
> In a corporate environment users usually don't set up their clients
> theirselves o_0
> have you ever tried migrating on several machines? Thousands of users
> (icluding me) have migrated successfully I doubt it will fail for all
> on your side. And if so, something is seriously borked on all systems
> and it should be the same cause everywhere.
> regards
>
> Martin

0
admin
12/28/2009 1:42:14 AM
admin@mmri.us schrieb:
> All the users email is on one server they access it through SSH.
> What I mean is that seemingly to move to 2.x will mean huge loss of
> features and all kinds of tricks to use 2.x
>
> I never said users must set up their own email, and they do not here. It
> is all on one server.
> I think you place words in my mouth.

Sry, must have gotten your point wrong then.
regards

Martin
/\  www.asciiribbon.org   - http://www.asciiribbon.org/index-de.html
0
Martin
12/28/2009 2:01:24 AM
<TBRRaymond.SchmitTBR@TBRscarlet.be> in mozilla.support.seamonkey wrote:

>Robert Kaiser wrote:
>> John wrote:
>>> very poor choice--a well designed program would not require that kind of
>>> work.
>>
>> Fully agreed, and as a volunteer project we like any help we can get to
>> actually work on improving that design.
>>
>That's a good idea,... but what programming knowledge is required to
>help ? (if we don't have it , should we learn it ? (i have knowledge of
>cobol, fortran, rpg, Linc-4GL, VisualBasic4.0, DMSII, UPL SDL,
>Mainframes-Harware, MCPII ... would this help ?)

Hi Ray,

Almost twenty years ago i got a 386.  I was experienced on DOS-VSE, but
the IBM PC DOS I was suddenly exposed to was much different -- closer to
VM's Conversational Monitor System.  What I did find was that a file was
still a file -- even if it was ASCII instead of EBCDIC....and through it
all, 4th generation languages were much the same.......

jim
0
jim