UA String Updates

My UA String is Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:68.0) 
Gecko/20100101 Firefox/68.0.

Should the NT 6.1 be changed to NT 10.0 for Windows 10? Anything else I 
should update?
0
Thomas
12/3/2019 12:50:42 PM
mozilla.support.seamonkey 13296 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

9 Replies
10 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 3

Thomas Pamin wrote:
> My UA String is Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:68.0) 
> Gecko/20100101 Firefox/68.0.

It's certainly workable, although a stock Firefox 68 ESR on Win 7 will 
have "(Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:68.0)" in it.  For compatibility 
purposes, it shouldn't make any difference, although what you currently 
have will show up in server logs as being different from a normal 
Firefox UA.

If you really want to verify, go out to portableapps.com, and grab the 
current version of Firefox ESR, then go to Help -> Troubleshooting 
Information.  (With a portable version you can download, launch, and do 
what you need, and then discard, without having to bother with uninstall 
or uninstall.)

> Should the NT 6.1 be changed to NT 10.0 for Windows 10? Anything else I 
> should update?

My installed copy of Firefox (just updated to 71.0) shows:

   Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:71.0) Gecko/20100101 
Firefox/71.0

If you want to show Firefox 68 on Windows 10, you would want:

   Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:68.0) Gecko/20100101 
Firefox/68.0

If you're doing spoofing for the purposes of getting around sites that 
are complaining about Seamonkey showing older versions of Firefox, most 
of the time, the only thing that you need is to show Firefox/68.0 at the 
end of the line. It's really unusual to see sites looking at other stuff 
in the UA. I've never seen it, but it probably happens occasionally.

A couple of additional considerations:

When you're spoofing the UA in Seamonkey, that applies to both what the 
browser shows to web sites, but it also turns up in the User-Agent: 
header in your email.  I run the old Display Mail User Agent extension 
(which shows a graphic in all received messages, of what UA the sender 
is using), and with that active, the message I'm replying to shows you 
using Firefox.  My use of that is uncommon, but it definitely stands out 
that you're spoofing, because Firefox doesn't send mail.

If you're sensitive about tracking by uniqueness, on that point, you 
*really* stand out, as much as you do by having a string that's not 
quite standard Firefox for your browsing.

If you don't want your spoofing to be as obvious, you might consider 
showing the string used by Seamonkey 2.53:

   Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 
Firefox/60.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.1

There's only a couple of sites that I regularly see that don't like the 
UA string for Seamonkey 2.49.5, especially Google's home page.  Thus, 
rather than doing global spoofing, I went to prefs:js and set 
general.useragent.override.google.com to show a standard Firefox 68.0 
UA, while still showing the standard Seamonkey UA (including in the mail 
client) to the rest of the world.

Smith

0
NFN
12/3/2019 6:02:03 PM
NFN Smith wrote:

> There's only a couple of sites that I regularly see that don't like the 
> UA string for Seamonkey 2.49.5, especially Google's home page.  Thus, 
> rather than doing global spoofing, I went to prefs:js and set 
> general.useragent.override.google.com to show a standard Firefox 68.0 
> UA, while still showing the standard Seamonkey UA (including in the mail 
> client) to the rest of the world.

I thought it was a bug in SM causing the Google home page to behave as 
it is, however was told it's the User Agent causing it.

Unfortunately, all of the User Agent switcher Add-Ons for SeaMonkey, are 
not compatible with the latest SM version.


0
Edward
12/3/2019 8:53:47 PM
Thomas Pamin wrote on 03-12-19 13:50:
> My UA String is Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:68.0) 
> Gecko/20100101 Firefox/68.0.
>
> Should the NT 6.1 be changed to NT 10.0 for Windows 10? Anything else 
> I should update?

Mine is: User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:52.0) 
Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.1
0
Ray_Net
12/3/2019 10:34:15 PM
Edward wrote:
> NFN Smith wrote:
> 
>> There's only a couple of sites that I regularly see that don't like 
>> the UA string for Seamonkey 2.49.5, especially Google's home page.  
>> Thus, rather than doing global spoofing, I went to prefs:js and set 
>> general.useragent.override.google.com to show a standard Firefox 68.0 
>> UA, while still showing the standard Seamonkey UA (including in the 
>> mail client) to the rest of the world.
> 
> I thought it was a bug in SM causing the Google home page to behave as 
> it is, however was told it's the User Agent causing it.

It's definitely Google's problem.  Showing a stock Firefox UA gets 
around the problem. For some reason, Google doesn't like Seamonkey.

> 
> Unfortunately, all of the User Agent switcher Add-Ons for SeaMonkey, are 
> not compatible with the latest SM version.

I run PrefBar in both 2.49.5 on my primary working profile, as well as 
2.53.1 in a virtual machine, and not having any problems, but PrefBar is 
nearly impossible to find, anymore.  The developer removed it from 
addons.mozilla.org, and it hasn't gotten into the git archive of legacy 
extensions.

I just checked, and User Agent Switcher is still in that archive.

As far as I'm aware, as long as Seamonkey continues to support XUL, all 
the old extensions should work.  And I believe that even 2.57 (which is 
based on Gecko 60) is intended to continue supporting XUL, even if 
WebExtensions are also supported.  However, reading the notes from the 
developers' meetings, it seems that we're a long way from seeing 2.57 
released.

Smith

0
NFN
12/3/2019 11:31:18 PM
NFN Smith wrote on 04-12-19 00:31:
> Edward wrote:
>> NFN Smith wrote:
>>
>>> There's only a couple of sites that I regularly see that don't like 
>>> the UA string for Seamonkey 2.49.5, especially Google's home page.  
>>> Thus, rather than doing global spoofing, I went to prefs:js and set 
>>> general.useragent.override.google.com to show a standard Firefox 
>>> 68.0 UA, while still showing the standard Seamonkey UA (including in 
>>> the mail client) to the rest of the world.
>>
>> I thought it was a bug in SM causing the Google home page to behave 
>> as it is, however was told it's the User Agent causing it.
>
> It's definitely Google's problem.  Showing a stock Firefox UA gets 
> around the problem. For some reason, Google doesn't like Seamonkey.

My U.A.String is: User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; 
rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.1
but in my pref.js I have this line:
user_pref("general.useragent.override.google.com", "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows 
NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:67.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/67.0");
And all goes well .
OK, so you will tell me that "SeaMonkey" is not in the string ... OK, 
but instead of going to google.com, I go to google.be all goes well also 
- and in that case "SeaMonkey" is in the string, because rhere is no 
override.
0
Ray_Net
12/4/2019 8:15:41 PM
Ray_Net wrote:
> NFN Smith wrote on 04-12-19 00:31:


>>
>> It's definitely Google's problem.  Showing a stock Firefox UA gets 
>> around the problem. For some reason, Google doesn't like Seamonkey.
> 
> My U.A.String is: User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; 
> rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.1
> but in my pref.js I have this line:
> user_pref("general.useragent.override.google.com", "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows 
> NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:67.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/67.0");
> And all goes well .

Google has some strange dislike for seeing a Firefox UA string that also 
has "Seamonkey" in it.  I don't know why.  I haven't checked to see if 
that's an issue with other Mozilla forks, such as PaleMoon or WaterFox.


> OK, so you will tell me that "SeaMonkey" is not in the string ... OK, 
> but instead of going to google.com, I go to google.be all goes well also 
> - and in that case "SeaMonkey" is in the string, because rhere is no 
> override.

When you go the route of prefs, you have to do the spoof on a 
site-by-site basis.  Thus, if you are normally searching at google.be, 
then you need a similar entry for general.useragent.override.google.be .

I don't think there's any way of specifying Google globally.  I could 
guess that showing just "google" rather than full top-level domain could 
work, but that's something you would have to test, and could be disruptive.

Smith

0
NFN
12/4/2019 10:14:34 PM
NFN Smith wrote on 04-12-19 23:14:
> Ray_Net wrote:
>> NFN Smith wrote on 04-12-19 00:31:
>
>
>>>
>>> It's definitely Google's problem.  Showing a stock Firefox UA gets 
>>> around the problem. For some reason, Google doesn't like Seamonkey.
>>
>> My U.A.String is: User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; 
>> rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.1
>> but in my pref.js I have this line:
>> user_pref("general.useragent.override.google.com", "Mozilla/5.0 
>> (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:67.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/67.0");
>> And all goes well .
>
> Google has some strange dislike for seeing a Firefox UA string that 
> also has "Seamonkey" in it.  I don't know why.  I haven't checked to 
> see if that's an issue with other Mozilla forks, such as PaleMoon or 
> WaterFox.
>
>
>> OK, so you will tell me that "SeaMonkey" is not in the string ... OK, 
>> but instead of going to google.com, I go to google.be all goes well 
>> also - and in that case "SeaMonkey" is in the string, because rhere 
>> is no override.
>
> When you go the route of prefs, you have to do the spoof on a 
> site-by-site basis.  Thus, if you are normally searching at google.be, 
> then you need a similar entry for general.useragent.override.google.be .
>

As I said, this is a test - I don't have a similar entry so, my ua 
string is with seamonkey inside.
anyway, I don't know why it works on my pc and not on other pc's.
0
Ray_Net
12/5/2019 10:36:13 PM
Ray_Net wrote on 6/12/2019 9:36 AM:
> NFN Smith wrote on 04-12-19 23:14:
>> Ray_Net wrote:
>>> NFN Smith wrote on 04-12-19 00:31:
>>
>>>> It's definitely Google's problem.  Showing a stock Firefox UA gets 
>>>> around the problem. For some reason, Google doesn't like Seamonkey.
>>>
>>> My U.A.String is: User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; 
>>> rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.1
>>> but in my pref.js I have this line:
>>> user_pref("general.useragent.override.google.com", "Mozilla/5.0 
>>> (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:67.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/67.0");
>>> And all goes well .
>>
>> Google has some strange dislike for seeing a Firefox UA string that 
>> also has "Seamonkey" in it.  I don't know why.  I haven't checked to 
>> see if that's an issue with other Mozilla forks, such as PaleMoon or 
>> WaterFox.
>>
>>> OK, so you will tell me that "SeaMonkey" is not in the string ... OK, 
>>> but instead of going to google.com, I go to google.be all goes well 
>>> also - and in that case "SeaMonkey" is in the string, because rhere 
>>> is no override.
>>
>> When you go the route of prefs, you have to do the spoof on a 
>> site-by-site basis.  Thus, if you are normally searching at google.be, 
>> then you need a similar entry for general.useragent.override.google.be .
> 
> As I said, this is a test - I don't have a similar entry so, my ua 
> string is with seamonkey inside.
> anyway, I don't know why it works on my pc and not on other pc's.

Not that it really matters but, a long time ago, I thought some sites 
tested for what browser was mentioned first in the User Agent string, 
whilst some sites tested for which browser was mentioned last in the UA 
string.

So "SeaMonkey Firefox" would work for some sites, whilst others needed 
"Firefox SeaMonkey"!!

-- 
Daniel

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 
SeaMonkey/2.49.5 Build identifier: 20190609032134
0
Daniel
12/6/2019 5:29:19 AM
On 03.12.2019 21:53, Edward wrote:
> Unfortunately, all of the User Agent switcher


Hallo,

did you already try "User Agent Switcher" from
https://seamonkeyde.wordpress.com/2019/01/09/classic-add-ons-archive/
after having it converted
https://wp.me/p7kLBG-dI
it for your SM version?

CU

Rainer
0
Rainer
12/6/2019 6:43:14 PM
Reply: