Transferring to Windows 10 system

Right now, as I write this, I am on a Windows 7 system using 2.49.1
SeaMonkey.

I bought a Dell "All-In-One" compuker with the latest Windows 10 running
(Uggg!) and loaded
SeaMonkey 2.49.5.

Can I COPY my E-Mail, Bookmarks, Passwords, etc from this machine to the
newer one ?
It has been YEARS since I did such a thing and I don't remember how.....

Things are changing so fast !

DoctorBill
0
DoctorBill
12/14/2019 5:46:44 PM
mozilla.support.seamonkey 13472 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

DoctorBill wrote:
> Right now, as I write this, I am on a Windows 7 system using 2.49.1
> SeaMonkey.
>
> I bought a Dell "All-In-One" compuker with the latest Windows 10 running
> (Uggg!) and loaded
> SeaMonkey 2.49.5.
>
> Can I COPY my E-Mail, Bookmarks, Passwords, etc from this machine to the
> newer one ?
> It has been YEARS since I did such a thing and I don't remember how.....

Short answer: yes.

Longer answer: this is pretty easy with Mozilla applications.  What to do:

1) Install Seamonkey on the new machine, but don't start it up (i.e.,
don't run the setup wizard).

2) Get a copy of the contents of %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Seamonkey (the entire
folder) on the old machine. If you haven't set up networked sharing, the
fastest way to do this is to copy to a USB device (thumb drive or
external hard drive).

3) On the new machine, copy all your data %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Seamonkey,
and you're all set to go, where Seamonkey on the new machine is working
with an exact and complete copy of what was on your old machine.

I will note that for this, I'm using Windows environment variables (as
Seamonkey does itself) to find your profile data, rather than trying to
explain how to find the data in C:\Users\....  If you enter the location
in the address bar in the Windows Explorer, that will get you to the
correct location, even though your AppData folder is normally hidden.
The environment variable gets you to the correct location on the first
try, and ignores the fact that the folder is hidden.

As an aside, this is useful to know for the purposes of making backups
of profiles.  Because AppData is hidden, Microsoft makes it difficult to
back up data stored there, and there are a few apps where you actually
want to back up your data.  All Mozilla apps (not just SeaMonkey, but
Firefox and Thunderbird, as well) store data in AppData, and if you know
how to access via environment variable, then it's relatively easy to
make sure that data gets included when you're doing backups.

One minor complication -- I moved a Seamonkey profile to a new computer
several months ago, using this methodology.  The one problem that I had
was with newsgroups, in handling read/unread.  For most of my
newsgroups, I was able to get things to behave, but in a few cases, I
had to resort to doing a Repair Folder (and re-downloading the entire
history of headers).  And in one or two newsgroups, that didn't work,
and I had to unsubscribe and resubscribe the newsgroups.  Not really a
significant problem, but annoying.

Smith

0
NFN
12/14/2019 6:10:45 PM
NFN Smith wrote:
> DoctorBill wrote:
>> Right now, as I write this, I am on a Windows 7 system using 2.49.1
>> SeaMonkey.
>>
>> I bought a Dell "All-In-One" compuker with the latest Windows 10
>> running (Uggg!) and loaded
>> SeaMonkey 2.49.5.
>>
>> Can I COPY my E-Mail, Bookmarks, Passwords, etc from this machine to
>> the newer one ?
>> It has been YEARS since I did such a thing and I don't remember how.....
>
> Short answer: yes.
>
> Longer answer: this is pretty easy with Mozilla applications.  What to do:
>
> 1) Install Seamonkey on the new machine, but don't start it up (i.e.,
> don't run the setup wizard).
>
> 2) Get a copy of the contents of %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Seamonkey (the entire
> folder) on the old machine. If you haven't set up networked sharing, the
> fastest way to do this is to copy to a USB device (thumb drive or
> external hard drive).
>
> 3) On the new machine, copy all your data %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Seamonkey,
> and you're all set to go, where Seamonkey on the new machine is working
> with an exact and complete copy of what was on your old machine.
>
> I will note that for this, I'm using Windows environment variables (as
> Seamonkey does itself) to find your profile data, rather than trying to
> explain how to find the data in C:\Users\....  If you enter the location
> in the address bar in the Windows Explorer, that will get you to the
> correct location, even though your AppData folder is normally hidden.
> The environment variable gets you to the correct location on the first
> try, and ignores the fact that the folder is hidden.
>
> As an aside, this is useful to know for the purposes of making backups
> of profiles.  Because AppData is hidden, Microsoft makes it difficult to
> back up data stored there, and there are a few apps where you actually
> want to back up your data.  All Mozilla apps (not just SeaMonkey, but
> Firefox and Thunderbird, as well) store data in AppData, and if you know
> how to access via environment variable, then it's relatively easy to
> make sure that data gets included when you're doing backups.
>

> One minor complication -- I moved a Seamonkey profile to a new computer
> several months ago, using this methodology.  The one problem that I had
> was with newsgroups, in handling read/unread.  For most of my
> newsgroups, I was able to get things to behave, but in a few cases, I
> had to resort to doing a Repair Folder (and re-downloading the entire
> history of headers).  And in one or two newsgroups, that didn't work,
> and I had to unsubscribe and resubscribe the newsgroups.  Not really a
> significant problem, but annoying.
>
> Smith

Sorry - I already ran the setup and SM is up and running on the "New"
machine.
Confusing stuff.
I did go to Users and got into the "Profile" (I remember THAT !) and copied
abook.mab and bookmarks.html  and pref.js to a thumbdrive.

If I shove them into the same place on the New Machine, will THAT work ?
I am like a boulder rolling around in a Glassware store !

DoctorBill
0
DoctorBill
12/14/2019 6:35:46 PM
DoctorBill wrote:
> [...]
>> that I had was with newsgroups, in handling read/unread.  For most of
>> my newsgroups, I was able to get things to behave, but in a few cases,
>> I had to resort to doing a Repair Folder (and re-downloading the
>> entire history of headers).  And in one or two newsgroups, that didn't
>> work, and I had to unsubscribe and resubscribe the newsgroups.  Not
>> really a significant problem, but annoying.
>>
>> Smith
>>

> Sorry - I already ran the setup and SM is up and running on the "New"
> machine.
> Confusing stuff.
> I did go to Users and got into the "Profile" (I remember THAT !) and copied
> abook.mab and bookmarks.html  and pref.js to a thumbdrive.
>
> If I shove them into the same place on the New Machine, will THAT work ?
> I am like a boulder rolling around in a Glassware store !

I can't find any of that stuff in the "New" Windows 10 hard drive (solid
state).
I supposedly have full "administrator" access to the HD.....lol ?

What a mess !

DB
0
DoctorBill
12/14/2019 6:49:16 PM
DoctorBill wrote:
> Right now, as I write this, I am on a Windows 7 system using 2.49.1
> SeaMonkey.
>
> I bought a Dell "All-In-One" compuker with the latest Windows 10 running
> (Uggg!) and loaded
> SeaMonkey 2.49.5.
>
> Can I COPY my E-Mail, Bookmarks, Passwords, etc from this machine to the
> newer one ?
> It has been YEARS since I did such a thing and I don't remember how.....
>
> Things are changing so fast !
>
> DoctorBill

Oh Heck !  I remember the "IMPORT" functions !
Can I import bookmarks and mail from this version on Win 7  TO
the one running in Win 10 ?
I found abooks and bookmarks on this machine and put them on a thumbdrive !

DB

0
DoctorBill
12/14/2019 7:27:04 PM
DoctorBill wrote:
> [...]
>> that I had was with newsgroups, in handling read/unread.  For most of
>> my newsgroups, I was able to get things to behave, but in a few cases,
>> I had to resort to doing a Repair Folder (and re-downloading the
>> entire history of headers).  And in one or two newsgroups, that didn't
>> work, and I had to unsubscribe and resubscribe the newsgroups.  Not
>> really a significant problem, but annoying.
>>
>> Smith
>>

> Sorry - I already ran the setup and SM is up and running on the "New"
> machine.
> Confusing stuff.
> I did go to Users and got into the "Profile" (I remember THAT !) and copied
> abook.mab and bookmarks.html  and pref.js to a thumbdrive.
>
> If I shove them into the same place on the New Machine, will THAT work ?
> I am like a boulder rolling around in a Glassware store !

You want to migrate your entire profile to the new machine, just as NFN
said.  That way you keep your emails, passwords, bookmarks (which are
not in bookmarks.html any more) on the new system.  I'm not sure about
Calendar entries, I migrated mine recently and some of them were lost in
the move.
I'd tend to delete your new profile, if you need an empty one then you
can create a new one.

--
spammus ergo sum, viruses courtesy of https://www.nsa.gov/malware/
0
DoctorBill wrote:
> Right now, as I write this, I am on a Windows 7 system using 2.49.1
> SeaMonkey.
>
> I bought a Dell "All-In-One" compuker with the latest Windows 10 running
> (Uggg!) and loaded
> SeaMonkey 2.49.5.
>
> Can I COPY my E-Mail, Bookmarks, Passwords, etc from this machine to the
> newer one ?
> It has been YEARS since I did such a thing and I don't remember how.....
>
> Things are changing so fast !
>
> DoctorBill

I just did all I wanted to do !
I explained it - took a while.....then it disappeared here !  Never
showed up.....

DoctorBill
0
DoctorBill
12/14/2019 10:14:50 PM
DoctorBill wrote:
> Sorry - I already ran the setup and SM is up and running on the "New"
> machine.
> Confusing stuff.
> I did go to Users and got into the "Profile" (I remember THAT !) and copied
> abook.mab and bookmarks.html  and pref.js to a thumbdrive.
>
> If I shove them into the same place on the New Machine, will THAT work ?
> I am like a boulder rolling around in a Glassware store !

No problem just:

1) Close SeaMonkey

2) In File Explorer go to "%APPDATA%\Mozilla\Seamonkey"
 (Hidden path unless you have Show Hidden Files Folders enabled)

3) Delete "Profiles" folder and "profiles.ini" file.

4) Copy "Profiles" folder and "profiles.ini" file from old Windows 7
system it will be the same path fill path if your username is bill
 "C:\Users\Bill\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\SeaMonkey"

5) Start SeaMonkey and your Windows 7 profile will be on the new system.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
0
Jonathan
12/15/2019 5:39:44 AM
DoctorBill wrote:
> DoctorBill wrote:
>> Right now, as I write this, I am on a Windows 7 system using 2.49.1
>> SeaMonkey.
>>
>> I bought a Dell "All-In-One" compuker with the latest Windows 10
>> running (Uggg!) and loaded
>> SeaMonkey 2.49.5.
>>
>> Can I COPY my E-Mail, Bookmarks, Passwords, etc from this machine to
>> the newer one ?
>> It has been YEARS since I did such a thing and I don't remember how.....
>>
>> Things are changing so fast !
>>
>> DoctorBill
>
> I just did all I wanted to do !
> I explained it - took a while.....then it disappeared here !  Never
> showed up.....
>
> DoctorBill

Does that mean it has stopped working again?  Copy the entire profile,
NFN Smith told you where to copy it from and Jonathon N Little where to
copy it to.

--
spammus ergo sum, viruses courtesy of https://www.nsa.gov/malware/
0
Don
12/15/2019 9:41:21 PM
DoctorBill wrote:
> Right now, as I write this, I am on a Windows 7 system using 2.49.1
> SeaMonkey.
>
> I bought a Dell "All-In-One" compuker with the latest Windows 10 running
> (Uggg!) and loaded
> SeaMonkey 2.49.5.
>
> Can I COPY my E-Mail, Bookmarks, Passwords, etc from this machine to the
> newer one ?
> It has been YEARS since I did such a thing and I don't remember how.....
>
> Things are changing so fast !
>
> DoctorBill

I bought a used DELL "All-In-One" compuker with Windows 10 installed
(Business Office Machine) and updated to the latest version.
I must say - after having it for about two weeks or so, I LIKE IT !
Windows 10 that is.......   Took some getting used to, but it is great !
I still have an OLD LENOVO 8922-5WU LapTop with Windows XP on it  and
my old HP G60 LapTop with Windows 7 on it............ FOR older GAMES
mostly.

I turned "Automatic Update" OFF on both so that MicroSoft can't "Kill"
the older versions if they ever somehow get connected to the Internet.
Been told that MicroSoft will eventually DO THAT !

Will I have to go to FireFox ?  I keep getting messages that SeaMonkey
is "OUTDATED" -
EVEN THOUGH I HAVE THE LATEST UPDATE on the Windows 10 machine....

DoctorBill

0
DoctorBill
1/2/2020 6:09:27 AM
DoctorBill wrote on 02/01/20 17:09:
> DoctorBill wrote:
>> Right now, as I write this, I am on a Windows 7 system using 2.49.1
>> SeaMonkey.
>>
>> I bought a Dell "All-In-One" compuker with the latest Windows 10
>> running (Uggg!) and loaded
>> SeaMonkey 2.49.5.
>>
>> Can I COPY my E-Mail, Bookmarks, Passwords, etc from this machine to
>> the newer one ?
>> It has been YEARS since I did such a thing and I don't remember how.....
>>
>> Things are changing so fast !
>>
>> DoctorBill
>
> I bought a used DELL "All-In-One" compuker with Windows 10 installed
> (Business Office Machine) and updated to the latest version.
> I must say - after having it for about two weeks or so, I LIKE IT !
> Windows 10 that is.......   Took some getting used to, but it is great !
> I still have an OLD LENOVO 8922-5WU LapTop with Windows XP on it  and
> my old HP G60 LapTop with Windows 7 on it............ FOR older GAMES
> mostly.
>
> I turned "Automatic Update" OFF on both so that MicroSoft can't "Kill"
> the older versions if they ever somehow get connected to the Internet.
> Been told that MicroSoft will eventually DO THAT !
>
> Will I have to go to FireFox ?  I keep getting messages that SeaMonkey
> is "OUTDATED" -
> EVEN THOUGH I HAVE THE LATEST UPDATE on the Windows 10 machine....
>
> DoctorBill

DocBill, looking at your UserAgent, it indicates that you posted this
with SeaMonkey 2.49.1

This is not the latest version ... that would be 2.49.5 although there
are even later (trial) versions out there

Go to https://www.seamonkey-project.org/ to get the latest (approved)
version for your OS. ;-P

And note that because even the latest SeaMonkey version advertises
itself as based on FireFox V 52, some/many sites will still suggest it
is a very old Version.

--
Daniel

Win7 User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.5 Build identifier: 20190609032134

Linux User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623
0
Daniel
1/2/2020 7:47:12 AM
Daniel wrote:
> DoctorBill wrote on 02/01/20 17:09:
>> DoctorBill wrote:
>>> Right now, as I write this, I am on a Windows 7 system using 2.49.1
>>> SeaMonkey.
>>>
>>> I bought a Dell "All-In-One" compuker with the latest Windows 10
>>> running (Uggg!) and loaded
>>> SeaMonkey 2.49.5.
>>>
>>> Can I COPY my E-Mail, Bookmarks, Passwords, etc from this machine to
>>> the newer one ?
>>> It has been YEARS since I did such a thing and I don't remember how.....
>>>
>>> Things are changing so fast !
>>>
>>> DoctorBill
>>
>> I bought a used DELL "All-In-One" compuker with Windows 10 installed
>> (Business Office Machine) and updated to the latest version.
>> I must say - after having it for about two weeks or so, I LIKE IT !
>> Windows 10 that is.......   Took some getting used to, but it is great !
>> I still have an OLD LENOVO 8922-5WU LapTop with Windows XP on it  and
>> my old HP G60 LapTop with Windows 7 on it............ FOR older GAMES
>> mostly.
>>
>> I turned "Automatic Update" OFF on both so that MicroSoft can't "Kill"
>> the older versions if they ever somehow get connected to the Internet.
>> Been told that MicroSoft will eventually DO THAT !
>>
>> Will I have to go to FireFox ?  I keep getting messages that SeaMonkey
>> is "OUTDATED" -
>> EVEN THOUGH I HAVE THE LATEST UPDATE on the Windows 10 machine....
>>
>> DoctorBill
>>
> DocBill, looking at your UserAgent, it indicates that you posted this
> with SeaMonkey 2.49.1
>
> This is not the latest version ... that would be 2.49.5 although there
> are even later (trial) versions out there
>
> Go to https://www.seamonkey-project.org/ to get the latest (approved)
> version for your OS. ;-P
>
> And note that because even the latest SeaMonkey version advertises
> itself as based on FireFox V 52, some/many sites will still suggest it
> is a very old Version.

..
I come to this NewsGroup FROM either THIS old HP Business Computer using
Windows 7 using 2.49.1
OR
My DELL "All-In-One" used business compuker using Windows 10 and 2.49.5.
Two different SeaMonkeys depending on which I am using AT THE TIME.

I am NOW on the old HP with Win 7.  I downloaded 2.49.5 but have not
run it yet.  All the 'extras' (extensions and Plugins) that I have on
this 2.49.1
will have to be re-setup  on the 2.49.5.....a PITA !
As time goes on, I forget HOW to do all that - (I'm 76) and struggle
with "Keeping Up"
with all the new changes.  Ignorance is expensive.

Thanks for the suggestion and comments.
How can the 2.49.5 be made to spoof with the new FireFox V52 recognition
signal ?

DoctorBill (still trying !)
0
DoctorBill
1/2/2020 3:58:27 PM
DoctorBill wrote:
> Daniel wrote:
>> DoctorBill wrote on 02/01/20 17:09:

>>> I bought a used DELL "All-In-One" compuker with Windows 10 installed
>>> (Business Office Machine) and updated to the latest version.
>>> I must say - after having it for about two weeks or so, I LIKE IT !
>>> Windows 10 that is.......   Took some getting used to, but it is great !
>>> I still have an OLD LENOVO 8922-5WU LapTop with Windows XP on it  and
>>> my old HP G60 LapTop with Windows 7 on it............ FOR older GAMES
>>> mostly.
>>>
>>> I turned "Automatic Update" OFF on both so that MicroSoft can't
>>> "Kill" the older versions if they ever somehow get connected to the
>>> Internet.
>>> Been told that MicroSoft will eventually DO THAT !
>>>
>>> Will I have to go to FireFox ?  I keep getting messages that
>>> SeaMonkey is "OUTDATED" -
>>> EVEN THOUGH I HAVE THE LATEST UPDATE on the Windows 10 machine....
>>>
>>> DoctorBill
>>>
>> DocBill, looking at your UserAgent, it indicates that you posted this
>> with SeaMonkey 2.49.1
>>
>> This is not the latest version ... that would be 2.49.5 although there
>> are even later (trial) versions out there
>>
>> Go to https://www.seamonkey-project.org/ to get the latest (approved)
>> version for your OS. ;-P
>>
>> And note that because even the latest SeaMonkey version advertises
>> itself as based on FireFox V 52, some/many sites will still suggest it
>> is a very old Version.
>>
> .
> I come to this NewsGroup FROM either THIS old HP Business Computer using
> Windows 7 using 2.49.1
> OR
> My DELL "All-In-One" used business compuker using Windows 10 and 2.49.5.
> Two different SeaMonkeys depending on which I am using AT THE TIME.
>
> I am NOW on the old HP with Win 7.  I downloaded 2.49.5 but have not
> run it yet.  All the 'extras' (extensions and Plugins) that I have on
> this 2.49.1
> will have to be re-setup  on the 2.49.5.....a PITA !
> As time goes on, I forget HOW to do all that - (I'm 76) and struggle
> with "Keeping Up"
> with all the new changes.  Ignorance is expensive.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion and comments.
> How can the 2.49.5 be made to spoof with the new FireFox V52 recognition
> signal ?
>
> DoctorBill (still trying !)
..
PS - I turned off the "Automatic Update" on my HP with Windows 7.
Hoping that that keeps MicroSoft from "Zapping" it and shutting it down.

Did that also on The Windows 10 computer.  I can now 'allow' upgrading or
not - depending on what results others are reporting.  Some control - I
hope.

DB

0
DoctorBill
1/2/2020 4:03:02 PM
DoctorBill wrote on 1/2/20 5:03 PM:
> DoctorBill wrote:
>> Daniel wrote:

>>> DocBill, looking at your UserAgent, it indicates that you posted this with
>>> SeaMonkey 2.49.1
>>>
>>> This is not the latest version ... that would be 2.49.5 although there are
>>> even later (trial) versions out there
>>>
>>> Go to https://www.seamonkey-project.org/ to get the latest (approved) version
>>> for your OS. ;-P
>>>
>>> And note that because even the latest SeaMonkey version advertises itself as
>>> based on FireFox V 52, some/many sites will still suggest it is a very old
>>> Version.
>>>
>> .
>> I come to this NewsGroup FROM either THIS old HP Business Computer using
>> Windows 7 using 2.49.1
>> OR
>> My DELL "All-In-One" used business compuker using Windows 10 and 2.49.5.
>> Two different SeaMonkeys depending on which I am using AT THE TIME.
>>
>> I am NOW on the old HP with Win 7.  I downloaded 2.49.5 but have not
>> run it yet.  All the 'extras' (extensions and Plugins) that I have on this 2.49.1
>> will have to be re-setup  on the 2.49.5.....a PITA !
>> As time goes on, I forget HOW to do all that - (I'm 76) and struggle with
>> "Keeping Up"
>> with all the new changes.  Ignorance is expensive.
>>
>> Thanks for the suggestion and comments.
>> How can the 2.49.5 be made to spoof with the new FireFox V52 recognition signal ?
>>
>> DoctorBill (still trying !)
> .
> PS - I turned off the "Automatic Update" on my HP with Windows 7.
> Hoping that that keeps MicroSoft from "Zapping" it and shutting it down.

does /Microsoft/ really do that? for me microsoft is a dead product, use /linux/
/redhat/ or /fedora/

--
Gérard Rudersdorff

If A equals success, then the formula is A = X + Y + Z.
X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut.
         -- Albert Einstein
0
GerardJan
1/2/2020 7:53:16 PM
DoctorBill wrote on 03/01/20 02:58:
> Daniel wrote:
>> DoctorBill wrote on 02/01/20 17:09:

>>> I bought a used DELL "All-In-One" compuker with Windows 10 installed
>>> (Business Office Machine) and updated to the latest version.
>>> I must say - after having it for about two weeks or so, I LIKE IT !
>>> Windows 10 that is.......   Took some getting used to, but it is great !
>>> I still have an OLD LENOVO 8922-5WU LapTop with Windows XP on it  and
>>> my old HP G60 LapTop with Windows 7 on it............ FOR older GAMES
>>> mostly.
>>>
>>> I turned "Automatic Update" OFF on both so that MicroSoft can't
>>> "Kill" the older versions if they ever somehow get connected to the
>>> Internet.
>>> Been told that MicroSoft will eventually DO THAT !
>>>
>>> Will I have to go to FireFox ?  I keep getting messages that
>>> SeaMonkey is "OUTDATED" -
>>> EVEN THOUGH I HAVE THE LATEST UPDATE on the Windows 10 machine....
>>>
>>> DoctorBill
>>>
>> DocBill, looking at your UserAgent, it indicates that you posted this
>> with SeaMonkey 2.49.1
>>
>> This is not the latest version ... that would be 2.49.5 although there
>> are even later (trial) versions out there
>>
>> Go to https://www.seamonkey-project.org/ to get the latest (approved)
>> version for your OS. ;-P
>>
>> And note that because even the latest SeaMonkey version advertises
>> itself as based on FireFox V 52, some/many sites will still suggest it
>> is a very old Version.
>>
> .
> I come to this NewsGroup FROM either THIS old HP Business Computer using
> Windows 7 using 2.49.1
> OR
> My DELL "All-In-One" used business compuker using Windows 10 and 2.49.5.
> Two different SeaMonkeys depending on which I am using AT THE TIME.

I can relate to this, Bill!

I dual boot this HP Laptop. On Windows 7, I have installed SeaMonkey
2.49.5. On my Linux installation, I have SeaMonkey 2.49.1 - I've
downloaded the 2.49.5 and I will get around to updating .... one day! ;-P

> I am NOW on the old HP with Win 7.  I downloaded 2.49.5 but have not
> run it yet.  All the 'extras' (extensions and Plugins) that I have on
> this 2.49.1
> will have to be re-setup  on the 2.49.5.....a PITA !
> As time goes on, I forget HOW to do all that - (I'm 76) and struggle
> with "Keeping Up"
> with all the new changes.  Ignorance is expensive.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion and comments.
> How can the 2.49.5 be made to spoof with the new FireFox V52 recognition
> signal ?

Two ways ... either, first, in your Preferences
(Edit->Preferences->Advanced) and tick the box to Advertise Firefox
compatibility. That will tell every website you go to that your program
is like Firefox

But, it will still mention SeaMonkey, and some sites will be confused by
this so they still will not work, so ....

Second, in the web browser part of SeaMonkey type "about:config"
(without the inverted commas), accept the warning and then type
'Useragent' in the Search: line. That will just leave those preferences
that include the word useragent. One of those will be
'general.useragent.compatMode.firefox'. Double click on that preference
will change the 'Value' from 'false' to 'true'.

Additionally, if there is a particular website that is causing problems
(often banking sites), in this config page, you can add a preference
that would apply only to that particular website and set it to 'spoof'
Firefox only just for that website, but I'm unsure how to enter a new
preference like this.

Maybe someone else will suggest how to do that.

And it just occurred to me that there is a third method of changing the
Preferences ... by setting up a preference that applies only to that
particular website and saving that/those preferences in a *TEXT* file
called UserConfig and saving that file in the same location as your
Preferences file. This method allows you to add comments against each
preference that you add/change so that you can know why you did that
..... when your memory fails you! ;-)

You can check out the available preferences at ...
http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries

> DoctorBill (still trying !)

Keep on trying, Doc!
--
Daniel

Win7 User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.5 Build identifier: 20190609032134

Linux User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623
0
Daniel
1/2/2020 11:59:52 PM
DoctorBill wrote on 03/01/20 03:03:

<Snip>

> PS - I turned off the "Automatic Update" on my HP with Windows 7.
> Hoping that that keeps MicroSoft from "Zapping" it and shutting it down.
>
> Did that also on The Windows 10 computer.  I can now 'allow' upgrading or
> not - depending on what results others are reporting.  Some control - I
> hope.
>
> DB

Some would suggest that not such a bad practice, Doc. That way, rather
than letting the updates be automatically installed, you can wait a week
or so, let others try out the update and, if no problems are found, you
can apply the updates when you want ... as long as you do remember to
apply them eventually!!

--
Daniel

Win7 User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.5 Build identifier: 20190609032134

Linux User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623
0
Daniel
1/3/2020 12:05:41 AM
Daniel wrote:
> DoctorBill wrote on 03/01/20 03:03:
>
> <Snip>
>
>> PS - I turned off the "Automatic Update" on my HP with Windows 7.
>> Hoping that that keeps MicroSoft from "Zapping" it and shutting it down.
>>
>> Did that also on The Windows 10 computer.  I can now 'allow' upgrading or
>> not - depending on what results others are reporting.  Some control - I hope.
>>
>> DB
>>
> Some would suggest that not such a bad practice, Doc. That way, rather than
> letting the updates be automatically installed, you can wait a week or so, let
> others try out the update and, if no problems are found, you can apply the
> updates when you want ... as long as you do remember to apply them eventually!!

You can not tun off updates in regular Windows 10. Doing so you would need to
go deep into the task scheduler and also stop some services. This usually
leaves the installation half broken and would also stop updates for Windows
Defender.

FRG
0
Frank
1/3/2020 12:47:49 AM
Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote on 03/01/20 11:47:
> Daniel wrote:
>> DoctorBill wrote on 03/01/20 03:03:
>>
>> <Snip>
>>
>>> PS - I turned off the "Automatic Update" on my HP with Windows 7.
>>> Hoping that that keeps MicroSoft from "Zapping" it and shutting it down.
>>>
>>> Did that also on The Windows 10 computer.  I can now 'allow'
>>> upgrading or
>>> not - depending on what results others are reporting.  Some control -
>>> I hope.
>>>
>>> DB
>>>
>> Some would suggest that not such a bad practice, Doc. That way, rather
>> than letting the updates be automatically installed, you can wait a
>> week or so, let others try out the update and, if no problems are
>> found, you can apply the updates when you want ... as long as you do
>> remember to apply them eventually!!
>>

> You can not tun off updates in regular Windows 10. Doing so you would
> need to go deep into the task scheduler and also stop some services.
> This usually leaves the installation half broken and would also stop
> updates for Windows Defender.
>
> FRG

Ah!! Another reason that I'm, yet, to make the move to 10!!

Thanks FRG.
--
Daniel

Win7 User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.5 Build identifier: 20190609032134

Linux User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623
0
Daniel
1/3/2020 8:35:06 AM
Daniel wrote:
> [...]
>
> Additionally, if there is a particular website that is causing problems
> (often banking sites), in this config page, you can add a preference
> that would apply only to that particular website and set it to 'spoof'
> Firefox only just for that website, but I'm unsure how to enter a new
> preference like this.
>
> Maybe someone else will suggest how to do that.
>
> And it just occurred to me that there is a third method of changing the
> Preferences ... by setting up a preference that applies only to that
> particular website and saving that/those preferences in a *TEXT* file
> called UserConfig and saving that file in the same location as your
> Preferences file. This method allows you to add comments against each
> preference that you add/change so that you can know why you did that
> .... when your memory fails you! ;-)
>
> You can check out the available preferences at ...

I have all that you suggested running.  No "Text" though....
Some site still don't like my system.

Thanks !
0
DoctorBill
1/3/2020 3:26:54 PM
DoctorBill wrote on 04/01/20 02:26:
> [...]
>> to 'spoof' Firefox only just for that website, but I'm unsure how to
>> enter a new preference like this.
>>
>> Maybe someone else will suggest how to do that.
>>
>> And it just occurred to me that there is a third method of changing
>> the Preferences ... by setting up a preference that applies only to
>> that particular website and saving that/those preferences in a *TEXT*
>> file called UserConfig and saving that file in the same location as
>> your Preferences file. This method allows you to add comments against
>> each preference that you add/change so that you can know why you did
>> that .... when your memory fails you! ;-)
>>
>> You can check out the available preferences at ...
>> http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries
>>
>>> DoctorBill (still trying !)
>>
>> Keep on trying, Doc!
>
> I have all that you suggested running.  No "Text" though....

I guess nothing is perfect, some people will always think that they know
what you want to do better than you! ;-P
--
Daniel

Win7 User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.5 Build identifier: 20190609032134

Linux User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623
0
Daniel
1/3/2020 11:16:50 PM
DoctorBill wrote:
> Right now, as I write this, I am on a Windows 7 system using 2.49.1
> SeaMonkey.
>
> I bought a Dell "All-In-One" compuker with the latest Windows 10 running
> (Uggg!) and loaded
> SeaMonkey 2.49.5.
>
> Can I COPY my E-Mail, Bookmarks, Passwords, etc from this machine to the
> newer one ?
> It has been YEARS since I did such a thing and I don't remember how.....
>
> Things are changing so fast !

This is your chance to disassociate all internet apps from the OS.  My
data files began life in Netscape.  Do yours go back that far?  And
those files have been used on many computers by multiple versions of Win
and OS/2.  And, I have never "lost" my email.

The trick is, I have never had the apps or data on a boot partition. The
apps are on an apps partition and the data is on a data partition. I can
reinstall or replace an OS and the most I need to do to the apps is
create a fresh run object (shortcut).

I also always multiple versions of each app.  I never replace an app or
OS until I an convinced the replacement is superior.  So every computer
has multiple versions of Win and Mozilla and/or Mozilla clones.

The first thing you need to do is copy the entire profile - which is a
directory tree - to another partition of your choice, with the name of
your choice.  Also copy the app tree to a place and name of your choice.

Then after you install Win, create an app shortcut with a
"-Profilemanager" run switch, which will open profile manager.  Take SM
by the hand to where you copied the profile and tell SM to use it.

On desktops, I now have only OSs on one HDD and only apps and data on
another HDD.  I have clones of each.  If one dies, I can swap in the OS
HDD and the data doesn't know the difference, or swap the apps/data HDD
ans the OSs do not know the difference.

Ray
0
Ray
1/4/2020 6:41:58 PM
Ray Davison wrote:

> I also always have multiple versions of each app.

As an aside, I have never "installed" a Mozilla app.  I always use the
ZIP distros.  SM is available as a ZIP.  Un-zip and copy to where ever
you want with a name such as SM_Version_XXX, or something that is
meaningful to you.  Then create a shortcut.

0
Ray
1/4/2020 6:59:27 PM
On 1/4/20 1:59 PM, Ray Davison wrote:
> Ray Davison wrote:
>>
>> I also always have multiple versions of each app.=20
>=20
> As an aside, I have never "installed" a Mozilla app.=C2=A0 I always use=
 the=20
> ZIP distros.=C2=A0 SM is available as a ZIP.=C2=A0 Un-zip and copy to w=
here ever=20
> you want with a name such as SM_Version_XXX, or something that is=20
> meaningful to you.=C2=A0 Then create a shortcut.
>=20
>=20

I guess other than the Linux distro builds, I have never "installed" a=20
Mozilla, SeaMonkey Project or Thunderbird Project application on my=20
computer.

The profiles still end up in the .mozilla and .thunderbird folders. Too=20
much work to change the locations.

The same on Windows.

--=20
OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop

WaltS48
1/4/2020 9:17:52 PM
WaltS48 wrote:

> The profiles still end up in the .mozilla and .thunderbird folders. Too
> much work to change the locations.
>
> The same on Windows.

The profiles end up where ever you put them.  But you do need to
specify.  I put the apps and profiles in separate trees of my choice and
location, and I put mail in a separate tree in a third location.

And if you allowed an install routine to place the profile and mail in a
default location, it is "too much work" only if you are unable to
copy/delete or move a sub-directory.

0
Ray
1/4/2020 10:44:37 PM
Ray Davison wrote:
> WaltS48 wrote:
>

>> The profiles still end up in the .mozilla and .thunderbird folders.
>> Too much work to change the locations.
>>
>> The same on Windows.
>>
> The profiles end up where ever you put them.  But you do need to
> specify.  I put the apps and profiles in separate trees of my choice and
> location, and I put mail in a separate tree in a third location.
>
> And if you allowed an install routine to place the profile and mail in a
> default location, it is "too much work" only if you are unable to
> copy/delete or move a sub-directory.

Or don't want to think about how you want to set it up. Too damn lazy.

0
WaltS48
1/5/2020 1:32:59 AM
If you use the zip method some dlls will not be registered. This affects "send
to email" and i.e. screen reader support. Installing it is recommended. There
are known problems with creating the profile in a directory outside of your
profile. I would suggest to use the default location and use the installer
whenever possible. There are ways to set up the Windows profile on a different
drive if needed.

FRG

Ray Davison wrote:
> Ray Davison wrote:
>>
>> I also always have multiple versions of each app.
>
> As an aside, I have never "installed" a Mozilla app.  I always use the ZIP
> distros.  SM is available as a ZIP.  Un-zip and copy to where ever you want
> with a name such as SM_Version_XXX, or something that is meaningful to you.
> Then create a shortcut.

0
Frank
1/5/2020 1:51:46 AM
Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:
> If you use the zip method some dlls will not be registered. This affects
> "send to email" and i.e. screen reader support. Installing it is
> recommended. There are known problems with creating the profile in a
> directory outside of your profile. I would suggest to use the default
> location and use the installer whenever possible. There are ways to set
> up the Windows profile on a different drive if needed.

You should be cautious telling people they cannot do what they are
actually doing.  I have been doing what I described since Netscape,
which is where my mail files began life.

And, once when I was trying to determine the time and date of a bug
insertion, I had twenty versions of the Mozilla suite - later SM - on a
HDD.  I would not want to try that with the installer distros.

And all you have to do to "set up the Windows profile on a different
drive" is move an existing profile and tell SM to use it in the new
location.

0
Ray
1/6/2020 1:56:58 AM
Ray Davison wrote:
> Ray Davison wrote:
>>
>> I also always have multiple versions of each app.
>
> As an aside, I have never "installed" a Mozilla app.  I always use the
> ZIP distros.  SM is available as a ZIP.  Un-zip and copy to where ever
> you want with a name such as SM_Version_XXX, or something that is
> meaningful to you.  Then create a shortcut.

..
WOW !
Not a Compuker-Savy person anymore (well a smidgen maybe...) - so by
"partition" do you mean another Drive letter on the same drive - or a
totally different storage (like a Thumb Drive) device ?

What you describe sounds VERY good.....if I just completely understand
all of it - and know enough to set it up !
Thanks for taking the time to describe that !

DoctorBill
0
DoctorBill
1/6/2020 3:03:11 AM
WaltS48 wrote:
> Ray Davison wrote:
>> WaltS48 wrote:
>>

>>> The profiles still end up in the .mozilla and .thunderbird folders.
>>> Too much work to change the locations.
>>>
>>> The same on Windows.
>>>
>> The profiles end up where ever you put them.  But you do need to
>> specify.  I put the apps and profiles in separate trees of my choice
>> and location, and I put mail in a separate tree in a third location.
>>
>> And if you allowed an install routine to place the profile and mail in
>> a default location, it is "too much work" only if you are unable to
>> copy/delete or move a sub-directory.
>>

> Or don't want to think about how you want to set it up. Too damn lazy.

Ha - NOW you've gotten to the ROOT of it !  My problem exactly !

DoctorBill
0
DoctorBill
1/6/2020 3:05:00 AM
DoctorBill wrote:
> Ray Davison wrote:
>> Ray Davison wrote:
>>>
>>> I also always have multiple versions of each app.
>>
>> As an aside, I have never "installed" a Mozilla app.  I always use the
>> ZIP distros.  SM is available as a ZIP.  Un-zip and copy to where ever
>> you want with a name such as SM_Version_XXX, or something that is
>> meaningful to you.  Then create a shortcut.
>>

> .
> WOW !
> Not a Compuker-Savy person anymore (well a smidgen maybe...) - so by
> "partition" do you mean another Drive letter on the same drive - or a
> totally different storage (like a Thumb Drive) device ?
>
> What you describe sounds VERY good.....if I just completely understand
> all of it - and know enough to set it up !
> Thanks for taking the time to describe that !
>
> DoctorBill
,
As a PS to my previous post - MY problem with ALL of this is that once I
learn HOW
to do all this....after six months or more of not constantly being
involved with it -----
I forget it !  I forget the details and have, essentially, to re-invent
the wheel !
Start from scratch.  Give me a break - I am 76 years old !  I am lucky I
can go to
the bathroom by myself !  I have to come back here and have you nice
folks explain it
all AGAIN after a while......

DoctorBill
0
DoctorBill
1/6/2020 3:10:19 AM
DoctorBill wrote on 6/01/2020 2:03 PM:
> Ray Davison wrote:
>> Ray Davison wrote:
>>>
>>> I also always have multiple versions of each app.
>>
>> As an aside, I have never "installed" a Mozilla app.  I always use the
>> ZIP distros.  SM is available as a ZIP.  Un-zip and copy to where ever
>> you want with a name such as SM_Version_XXX, or something that is
>> meaningful to you.  Then create a shortcut.
>>

> .
> WOW !
> Not a Compuker-Savy person anymore (well a smidgen maybe...) - so by
> "partition" do you mean another Drive letter on the same drive - or a
> totally different storage (like a Thumb Drive) device ?
>
> What you describe sounds VERY good.....if I just completely understand
> all of it - and know enough to set it up !
> Thanks for taking the time to describe that !
>
> DoctorBill

Yes, DocBill, as far as you are concerned, a Partition is 'just' a Drive
letter.

e.g., I have a 500 GB hard drive in this laptop, but I only have Windows
7 accessing about a third of that space (I have a different Operating
System, Linux, on the rest) on the Physical Hard Drive. I have...
a)	my Windows 7 Operating System Partition, the C:\ drive, on about 40 Gb,
b)	then my programs (MSOffice, SeaMonkey, etc.), on the 80 GB D:\ drive
(or Partition), and,
c)	then I have my SeaMonkey Profile and and music file on a 30 GB E:\
drive (or Partition)

A lot of Computer Users will have just the one Partition, their C:\,
which will occupy the entire space of their physical hard disk!

And that's fine, as long as the computer does what they want, who cares
how it is set up!!

--
Daniel

Win7 User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.5 Build identifier: 20190609032134

Linux User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623
0
Daniel
1/6/2020 9:02:45 AM
Daniel wrote:

> Yes, DocBill, as far as you are concerned, a Partition is 'just' a Drive
> letter.
>
> e.g., I have a 500 GB hard drive in this laptop, but I only have Windows
> 7 accessing about a third of that space (I have a different Operating
> System, Linux, on the rest) on the Physical Hard Drive. I have...
> a)    my Windows 7 Operating System Partition, the C:\ drive, on about
> 40 Gb,
> b)    then my programs (MSOffice, SeaMonkey, etc.), on the 80 GB D:\
> drive (or Partition), and,
> c)    then I have my SeaMonkey Profile and and music file on a 30 GB E:\
> drive (or Partition)
>
> A lot of Computer Users will have just the one Partition, their C:\,
> which will occupy the entire space of their physical hard disk!
>
> And that's fine, as long as the computer does what they want, who cares
> how it is set up!!

In the olden days when mechanical malfunctions were more common, it was
important to know that a crash of one "drive" in a partition arrangement
was generally equivalent to a crash of all. So for example it made no
sense to back up data from one partition onto another within the same
physical drive (I'd say it still doesn't). But HDDs nowadays are so
reliable that whatever logical partition arrangement the user chooses
(if any) is generally fine for all practical purposes.

Paul B. Gallagher
0
Paul
1/6/2020 10:13:52 AM
DoctorBill wrote:

> As a PS to my previous post - MY problem with ALL of this is that
> once I learn HOW to do all this....after six months or more of not
> constantly being involved with it ----- I forget it !  I forget the
> details and have, essentially, to re-invent the wheel ! Start from
> scratch.  Give me a break - I am 76 years old !  I am lucky I can go
> to the bathroom by myself !  I have to come back here and have you
> nice folks explain it all AGAIN after a while......

So do I also get a "break"?  I'm 82, and beside building desktops I
redesign old cars.

I currently maintain four desktops and three laptops.

The apps are on an apps partition and the data is on a data partition. I
can reinstall or replace an OS and the most I need to do to the apps is
create a fresh run object (shortcut).

And updates are done in isolation.  I also always have multiple versions
of each app.  I never replace an app or OS until I an convinced the
replacement is superior.  So every computer has multiple versions of Win
and Mozilla and/or Mozilla clones.

On desktops, the apps are on one HDD and apps and data are on another
HDD.  I have clones of each.  So my backup and restore is to swap a HDD.
  And the OSs don't know the apps/data has changed and the apps/data
doesn't know the OSs has changed.

With a couple decent tools building a partition structure is not difficult.

And Mozilla products are very easy to organize.

0
Ray
1/6/2020 8:44:27 PM
On 1/6/20 3:44 PM, Ray Davison wrote:
> DoctorBill wrote:
>=20
>> As a PS to my previous post - MY problem with ALL of this is that
>> once I learn HOW to do all this....after six months or more of not
>> constantly being involved with it ----- I forget it !=C2=A0 I forget t=
he
>> details and have, essentially, to re-invent the wheel ! Start from
>> scratch.=C2=A0 Give me a break - I am 76 years old !=C2=A0 I am lucky =
I can go
>> to the bathroom by myself !=C2=A0 I have to come back here and have yo=
>> nice folks explain it all AGAIN after a while......
>=20
> So do I also get a "break"?=C2=A0 I'm 82, and beside building desktops =
I=20
> redesign old cars.
>=20
> I currently maintain four desktops and three laptops.
>=20
> The apps are on an apps partition and the data is on a data partition. =
I=20
> can reinstall or replace an OS and the most I need to do to the apps is=
=20
> create a fresh run object (shortcut).
>=20
> And updates are done in isolation.=C2=A0 I also always have multiple ve=
rsions=20
> of each app.=C2=A0 I never replace an app or OS until I an convinced th=
e=20
> replacement is superior.=C2=A0 So every computer has multiple versions =
of Win=20
> and Mozilla and/or Mozilla clones.
>=20
> On desktops, the apps are on one HDD and apps and data are on another=20
> HDD.=C2=A0 I have clones of each.=C2=A0 So my backup and restore is to =
swap a HDD.=20
>  =C2=A0And the OSs don't know the apps/data has changed and the apps/da=
ta=20
> doesn't know the OSs has changed.
>=20
> With a couple decent tools building a partition structure is not diffic=
ult.
>=20
> And Mozilla products are very easy to organize.
>=20

You win! =F0=9F=8F=86

--=20
OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop

WaltS48
1/7/2020 12:51:08 AM
Ray Davison wrote:
> DoctorBill wrote:
>
>> As a PS to my previous post - MY problem with ALL of this is that
>> once I learn HOW to do all this....after six months or more of not
>> constantly being involved with it ----- I forget it !  I forget the
>> details and have, essentially, to re-invent the wheel ! Start from
>> scratch.  Give me a break - I am 76 years old !  I am lucky I can go
>> to the bathroom by myself !  I have to come back here and have you
>> nice folks explain it all AGAIN after a while......
>
> So do I also get a "break"?  I'm 82, and beside building desktops I
> redesign old cars.
>
> I currently maintain four desktops and three laptops.
>
> The apps are on an apps partition and the data is on a data partition. I
> can reinstall or replace an OS and the most I need to do to the apps is
> create a fresh run object (shortcut).
>
> And updates are done in isolation.  I also always have multiple versions
> of each app.  I never replace an app or OS until I an convinced the
> replacement is superior.  So every computer has multiple versions of Win
> and Mozilla and/or Mozilla clones.
>
> On desktops, the apps are on one HDD and apps and data are on another
> HDD.  I have clones of each.  So my backup and restore is to swap a HDD.
>   And the OSs don't know the apps/data has changed and the apps/data
> doesn't know the OSs has changed.
>
> With a couple decent tools building a partition structure is not difficult.
>
> And Mozilla products are very easy to organize.

..
Well congratulations on being 82 !  AND being able to do ALL THAT !  Wow.

Each of us has our Limitations (as Dirty Harry said) and I have my own.
I hope - if I make it to 82 - that I can do as well as you are now !

Keep going... Never stop....Never retire.  I just wish it didn't hurt so
much !

DoctorBill
0
DoctorBill