Tracking Blocking

This website:

http://www.radiotimes.com/tv-programme/e/f6n8jj/collateral--s1-e1-collateral/

comes up with a message saying "We've noticed you are using an ad
blocker...". This is caused by the setting "Prevent tracking activities
by known websites". If I also check the option which says "Warn me when
known tracking activities were detected" (that should be "are detected"
I think) this creates a dialog with an option to "Unblock", but
selecting Unblock doesn't work, it just refreshes the page and the
notice comes up again.

These settings are in Edit -> Preferences -> Privacy and Security.

How is this supposed to work? Maybe it is a bug?

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.2 built on the 23rd of January.

-- 
~
0
Richmond
2/13/2018 3:41:30 PM
mozilla.support.seamonkey 12904 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

7 Replies
53 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 22

Richmond wrote:
> This website:
> 
> http://www.radiotimes.com/tv-programme/e/f6n8jj/collateral--s1-e1-collateral/
> 
> comes up with a message saying "We've noticed you are using an ad
> blocker...". This is caused by the setting "Prevent tracking activities
> by known websites". If I also check the option which says "Warn me when
> known tracking activities were detected" (that should be "are detected"
> I think) this creates a dialog with an option to "Unblock", but
> selecting Unblock doesn't work, it just refreshes the page and the
> notice comes up again.
> 
> These settings are in Edit -> Preferences -> Privacy and Security.
> 
> How is this supposed to work? Maybe it is a bug?
> 
> User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
> Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.2 built on the 23rd of January.
> 

I just visited that page and did not see that message.  I am blocking 
tracking with both Disconnect and uBlock Origin.

0
EE
2/13/2018 7:04:26 PM
EE <nunya@bees.wax> writes:

>> User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
>> Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.2 built on the 23rd of January.
>>
>
> I just visited that page and did not see that message.  I am blocking tracking
> with both Disconnect and uBlock Origin.
>

Which version of Ublock Origin did you use? It doesn't seem to be
available for Seamonkey.

-- 
~
0
Richmond
2/13/2018 7:33:59 PM
Richmond wrote:
> This website:
> 
> http://www.radiotimes.com/tv-programme/e/f6n8jj/collateral--s1-e1-collateral/
> 
> comes up with a message saying "We've noticed you are using an ad
> blocker...". This is caused by the setting "Prevent tracking activities
> by known websites". If I also check the option which says "Warn me when
> known tracking activities were detected" (that should be "are detected"
> I think) this creates a dialog with an option to "Unblock", but
> selecting Unblock doesn't work, it just refreshes the page and the
> notice comes up again.
> 
> These settings are in Edit -> Preferences -> Privacy and Security.
> 
> How is this supposed to work? Maybe it is a bug?
> 
> User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
> Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.2 built on the 23rd of January.

OK, well, this is stupid: I use AdBlock Plus, which I "disabled 
everywhere" before visiting the site. They still complained. What a 
bunch of idiots must have written their code.

-- 
War doesn't determine who's right, just who's left.
--
Paul B. Gallagher

0
Paul
2/14/2018 3:57:00 AM
Paul B. Gallagher wrote on 14-02-18 04:57:
> Richmond wrote:
>> This website:
>>
>> http://www.radiotimes.com/tv-programme/e/f6n8jj/collateral--s1-e1-collateral/ 
>>
>>
>> comes up with a message saying "We've noticed you are using an ad
>> blocker...". This is caused by the setting "Prevent tracking activities
>> by known websites". If I also check the option which says "Warn me when
>> known tracking activities were detected" (that should be "are detected"
>> I think) this creates a dialog with an option to "Unblock", but
>> selecting Unblock doesn't work, it just refreshes the page and the
>> notice comes up again.
>>
>> These settings are in Edit -> Preferences -> Privacy and Security.
>>
>> How is this supposed to work? Maybe it is a bug?
>>
>> User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
>> Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.2 built on the 23rd of January.
>
> OK, well, this is stupid: I use AdBlock Plus, which I "disabled 
> everywhere" before visiting the site. They still complained. What a 
> bunch of idiots must have written their code.
>
I do the same test and the site did not complain.
0
Ray_Net
2/14/2018 7:34:33 AM
Ray_Net wrote:
> Paul B. Gallagher wrote on 14-02-18 04:57:
>> Richmond wrote:
>>> This website:
>>>
>>> http://www.radiotimes.com/tv-programme/e/f6n8jj/collateral--s1-e1-collateral/ 
>>>
>>>
>>> comes up with a message saying "We've noticed you are using an ad
>>> blocker...". This is caused by the setting "Prevent tracking activities
>>> by known websites". If I also check the option which says "Warn me when
>>> known tracking activities were detected" (that should be "are detected"
>>> I think) this creates a dialog with an option to "Unblock", but
>>> selecting Unblock doesn't work, it just refreshes the page and the
>>> notice comes up again.
>>>
>>> These settings are in Edit -> Preferences -> Privacy and Security.
>>>
>>> How is this supposed to work? Maybe it is a bug?
>>>
>>> User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
>>> Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.2 built on the 23rd of January.
>>
>> OK, well, this is stupid: I use AdBlock Plus, which I "disabled 
>> everywhere" before visiting the site. They still complained. What a 
>> bunch of idiots must have written their code.
>>
> I do the same test and the site did not complain.

I tried again with ABP disabled everywhere AND the OP's setting "Prevent 
tracking activities by known websites" disabled and it let me in.

-- 
War doesn't determine who's right, just who's left.
--
Paul B. Gallagher
0
Paul
2/14/2018 9:36:58 AM
Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
> I tried again with ABP disabled everywhere AND the OP's setting "Prevent
> tracking activities by known websites" disabled and it let me in.
> 

Yes. In fact if I create a new profile with no addons, and then go to
the site, it allows me in. But if I then enable "Prevent tracking
activities by known websites" it comes up with the notice and doesn't
let me in.

But my question really is about the "Warn me when
known tracking activities were detected" dialog. This has an unblock
option which I think would allow ads on a site by site basis, but it
doesn't seem to do that. It doesn't seem to work at all.
0
Richmond
2/14/2018 5:36:25 PM
Richmond wrote:
> EE <nunya@bees.wax> writes:
> 
>>> User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
>>> Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.2 built on the 23rd of January.
>>>
>>
>> I just visited that page and did not see that message.  I am blocking tracking
>> with both Disconnect and uBlock Origin.
>>
> 
> Which version of Ublock Origin did you use? It doesn't seem to be
> available for Seamonkey.
> 
I am using version 1.14.24.  I got that at 
https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/releases and downloaded the file 
called "uBlockO.firefox.xpi".  I guess it is time to get the latest, 
since there are now newer versions there.
0
EE
2/14/2018 5:50:20 PM
Reply: