text URL recognized in some incoming messages but not all

I often send text messages containing a URL in plain text.

If I send the message in plain text from Seamonkey, it is recognized by a
recipient Seamonkey as a clickable link and displayed as such.

If I send the message in plain text from another mail program (in this case,
Samsung's Android Email app), the plain text URL is not recognized nor
displayed as a link.

Looking at the message source, the only difference I can see is that the
plain text from Seamonkey is sent as 7-bit plain text, whereas the plain
text from the app is encoded in base64.

Curiously, Samsung's app, when viewing such a message, does recognize the
URL as a link.

Why is that, and can I change Seamonkey to recognize the URL in that case?

Thanks,
Bob
0
Bob
4/16/2018 2:26:35 PM
mozilla.support.seamonkey 12784 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On 4/16/2018 7:26 AM, Bob Fleischer wrote:
> I often send text messages containing a URL in plain text.
>
> If I send the message in plain text from Seamonkey, it is recognized by a
> recipient Seamonkey as a clickable link and displayed as such.
>
> If I send the message in plain text from another mail program (in this case,
> Samsung's Android Email app), the plain text URL is not recognized nor
> displayed as a link.
>
> Looking at the message source, the only difference I can see is that the
> plain text from Seamonkey is sent as 7-bit plain text, whereas the plain
> text from the app is encoded in base64.
>
> Curiously, Samsung's app, when viewing such a message, does recognize the
> URL as a link.
>
> Why is that, and can I change Seamonkey to recognize the URL in that case?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

Are all the links bracketed by < and > per RFC 3986?

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

First you say you do, and then you don't.
And then you say you will, but then won't.
You're undecided now, so what're you goin' to do?
                        From a 1950s song
That should be Donald Trump's theme song.  He obviously
does not understand "commitment", whether it is about
policy or marriage.
0
David
4/16/2018 2:37:46 PM
On 4/16/2018 10:37 AM, David E. Ross wrote:
> On 4/16/2018 7:26 AM, Bob Fleischer wrote:
>> I often send text messages containing a URL in plain text.
>>
>> If I send the message in plain text from Seamonkey, it is recognized by a
>> recipient Seamonkey as a clickable link and displayed as such.
>>
>> If I send the message in plain text from another mail program (in this case,
>> Samsung's Android Email app), the plain text URL is not recognized nor
>> displayed as a link.
>>
>> Looking at the message source, the only difference I can see is that the
>> plain text from Seamonkey is sent as 7-bit plain text, whereas the plain
>> text from the app is encoded in base64.
>>
>> Curiously, Samsung's app, when viewing such a message, does recognize the
>> URL as a link.
>>
>> Why is that, and can I change Seamonkey to recognize the URL in that case?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Bob
>>

> Are all the links bracketed by < and > per RFC 3986?

No, none, in either case.  And adding them does not help.

Bob
0
Bob
4/16/2018 3:07:02 PM
Bob Fleischer wrote:

> I often send text messages containing a URL in plain text.
>
> If I send the message in plain text from Seamonkey, it is recognized by
> a recipient Seamonkey as a clickable link and displayed as such.
>
> If I send the message in plain text from another mail program (in this
> case, Samsung's Android Email app), the plain text URL is not recognized
> nor displayed as a link.
>
> Looking at the message source, the only difference I can see is that the
> plain text from Seamonkey is sent as 7-bit plain text, whereas the plain
> text from the app is encoded in base64.
>
> Curiously, Samsung's app, when viewing such a message, does recognize
> the URL as a link.
>
> Why is that, and can I change Seamonkey to recognize the URL in that case?

I have a similar experience with one listserv, which automatically
converts all messages to HTML but does not recognize and mark URLs as
links. If I post in HTML and make my own links, that works, though.

It's the sending app's fault, not ours.

Paul B. Gallagher

0
Paul