SM, Linux and sound. Regarding Alsa & Pulseaudio

Greetings,

SM-2.57 from Bill can play no sound in the browser on a Linux using Alsa
instead of Pulseaudio. That is as expected. Tested with youtube. Now,
curious as I sometimes am, a question came up and didn't stop bothering me.

What has TB done about the problem Alsa/Pulseaudio? Yes, there is use
for sound in TB. The notification of incoming mail can play a sound. So
I fetched the last Daily, selected klingeln.wav and clicked on play. It
worked. No problem with my Alsa.

Hm.

Next step. SM-2.57 cannot use MailNes, but under Preferences there is
Notifications for incoming mail. Choosing klingeln.way, clicking play
and ... it worked. Astonishing.

So it seems 2.57 *can* use Alsa. If it chooses. :-)

At the moment I am scratching my head.

Hartmut
0
Hartmut
5/12/2019 4:02:14 PM
mozilla.support.seamonkey 13155 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

4 Replies
42 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 59

Hartmut Figge wrote:
> Greetings,
> 
> SM-2.57 from Bill can play no sound in the browser on a Linux using Alsa
> instead of Pulseaudio. That is as expected. Tested with youtube. Now,
> curious as I sometimes am, a question came up and didn't stop bothering me.
> 
> What has TB done about the problem Alsa/Pulseaudio? Yes, there is use
> for sound in TB. The notification of incoming mail can play a sound. So
> I fetched the last Daily, selected klingeln.wav and clicked on play. It
> worked. No problem with my Alsa.
> 
> Hm.
> 
> Next step. SM-2.57 cannot use MailNes, but under Preferences there is
> Notifications for incoming mail. Choosing klingeln.way, clicking play
> and ... it worked. Astonishing.
> 
> So it seems 2.57 *can* use Alsa. If it chooses. :-)
> 
> At the moment I am scratching my head.
> 
> Hartmut
> 

I am not aware of any Alsa fixes specifically for TB. As far as I know it was 
kept disabled in TB 52. Have you installed apulse?

https://github.com/i-rinat/apulse

FRG
0
Frank
5/12/2019 7:54:53 PM
Frank-Rainer Grahl:

>I am not aware of any Alsa fixes specifically for TB. As far as I know it was 
>kept disabled in TB 52. Have you installed apulse?

No. At the moment I haven't installed anything regarding pulse. In
Bill's browser the sound does not work, but it does in notifications.

There's a reason why I am scratching my head. :)

Hartmut
0
Hartmut
5/12/2019 8:04:21 PM
In <news:a878f4b4-ca82-e965-18b2-91250d753f80@hfigge.myfqdn.de>,
Hartmut Figge <h.figge@gmx.de> wrote:

> SM-2.57 from Bill can play no sound in the browser on a Linux using
> Alsa instead of Pulseaudio. That is as expected. Tested with youtube.
> Now, curious as I sometimes am, a question came up and didn't stop
> bothering me.
> 
> What has TB done about the problem Alsa/Pulseaudio? Yes, there is use
> for sound in TB. The notification of incoming mail can play a sound.
> So I fetched the last Daily, selected klingeln.wav and clicked on
> play. It worked. No problem with my Alsa.
> 
> Hm.
> 
> Next step. SM-2.57 cannot use MailNes, but under Preferences there is
> Notifications for incoming mail. Choosing klingeln.way, clicking play
> and ... it worked. Astonishing.
> 
> So it seems 2.57 *can* use Alsa. If it chooses. :-)
> 
> At the moment I am scratching my head.

Just a guess:  maybe notifications are a special case; maybe TB/SM
hand them off to some external software which plays the WAV. 

0
UTF
5/12/2019 9:29:46 PM
»Q«:

>Just a guess:  maybe notifications are a special case; maybe TB/SM
>hand them off to some external software which plays the WAV. 

That would have to be software which is installed on every Linux system
which is capable of using TB or SM. I am not aware of such a beast.

BTW, while experimenting with the browser of 2.57, trying 'Open File'
with klingeln.wav, an unwelcome entry was added to the Helper
Applications. And I could find no way to delete that entry.

Worse, the same entry was now in my 2.53. Oh, the old days, when you
could manipulate the Helper Applications at you will. When you even
could add entries freely invented. *g*

So I had to search for the place where the unwanted entry was stored.
Work, sigh. But now it is gone. :)

Hartmut
0
Hartmut
5/12/2019 10:24:20 PM
Reply: