SlashDot

Windows 7
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
	SeaMonkey/2.49.5

I cannot view <https://slashdot.org/?desktop=1>.  For over a minute, the
status bar shows repeated requests to domains such as
	slashdot.org
	m.slashdot.org
	fonts.googleapis.com
	a.fsdn.com
	d3tglifpd8whs6.cloudfront.net
	fonts.gstatic.com
without ever rendering the page.

Last night, I had no problem with that Web site.  Today, I cannot get
it.  Trying SeaMonkey in safe mode did not help.  Enabling "Advertise
Firefox compatibility" did not help.

Although I can get the page while using Internet Explorer 11, spoofing
Internet Explorer 11 in SeaMonkey does not work.  Spoofing Chrome or
Opera do not work.

Is anyone else having this problem?  Has anyone found a solution?

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Duracell batteries are prohibited in my house.
They leak and have severely damaged some expensive
electronics that I own.  Energizer and Eveready
batteries are okay.
0
David
12/15/2019 10:41:30 PM
mozilla.support.seamonkey 13471 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

David E. Ross wrote:

> Windows 7
> Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
> 	SeaMonkey/2.49.5
>
> I cannot view <https://slashdot.org/?desktop=1>.  For over a minute, the
> status bar shows repeated requests to domains such as
> 	slashdot.org
> 	m.slashdot.org
> 	fonts.googleapis.com
> 	a.fsdn.com
> 	d3tglifpd8whs6.cloudfront.net
> 	fonts.gstatic.com
> without ever rendering the page.
>
> Last night, I had no problem with that Web site.  Today, I cannot get
> it.  Trying SeaMonkey in safe mode did not help.  Enabling "Advertise
> Firefox compatibility" did not help.
>
> Although I can get the page while using Internet Explorer 11, spoofing
> Internet Explorer 11 in SeaMonkey does not work.  Spoofing Chrome or
> Opera do not work.
>
> Is anyone else having this problem?  Has anyone found a solution?

Works fine here, SM 2.49.5 and Win7 SP1. No UA spoofing, advertise
Firefox compatibility enabled.

Have you tried clearing private data, specifically cache and cookies? If
you can get it with IE 11, it must not be a connection or DNS issue.

Paul B. Gallagher
0
Paul
12/15/2019 11:50:32 PM
On 12/15/2019 3:50 PM, Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
> David E. Ross wrote:
>
>> Windows 7
>> Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
>> 	SeaMonkey/2.49.5
>>
>> I cannot view <https://slashdot.org/?desktop=1>.  For over a minute, the
>> status bar shows repeated requests to domains such as
>> 	slashdot.org
>> 	m.slashdot.org
>> 	fonts.googleapis.com
>> 	a.fsdn.com
>> 	d3tglifpd8whs6.cloudfront.net
>> 	fonts.gstatic.com
>> without ever rendering the page.
>>
>> Last night, I had no problem with that Web site.  Today, I cannot get
>> it.  Trying SeaMonkey in safe mode did not help.  Enabling "Advertise
>> Firefox compatibility" did not help.
>>
>> Although I can get the page while using Internet Explorer 11, spoofing
>> Internet Explorer 11 in SeaMonkey does not work.  Spoofing Chrome or
>> Opera do not work.
>>
>> Is anyone else having this problem?  Has anyone found a solution?
>
> Works fine here, SM 2.49.5 and Win7 SP1. No UA spoofing, advertise
> Firefox compatibility enabled.
>
> Have you tried clearing private data, specifically cache and cookies? If
> you can get it with IE 11, it must not be a connection or DNS issue.

I cleared all caches.  After verifying that I had no cookies from any of
the domains I mentioned in my original message, I enabled cookies from
all domains.  I enabled HTML5 media and Flash.  I disabled AdBlock Plus.
 I enabled "Advertise Firefox compatibility".  I even disabled AVG
Antivirus.  I still cannot get SlashDot via SeaMonkey.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Duracell batteries are prohibited in my house.
They leak and have severely damaged some expensive
electronics that I own.  Energizer and Eveready
batteries are okay.
0
David
12/16/2019 12:39:58 AM
David E. Ross wrote:
> On 12/15/2019 3:50 PM, Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
>> David E. Ross wrote:
>>
>>> Windows 7
>>> Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
>>> 	SeaMonkey/2.49.5
>>>
>>> I cannot view <https://slashdot.org/?desktop=1>.  For over a minute, the
>>> status bar shows repeated requests to domains such as
>>> 	slashdot.org
>>> 	m.slashdot.org
>>> 	fonts.googleapis.com
>>> 	a.fsdn.com
>>> 	d3tglifpd8whs6.cloudfront.net
>>> 	fonts.gstatic.com
>>> without ever rendering the page.
>>>
>>> Last night, I had no problem with that Web site.  Today, I cannot get
>>> it.  Trying SeaMonkey in safe mode did not help.  Enabling "Advertise
>>> Firefox compatibility" did not help.
>>>
>>> Although I can get the page while using Internet Explorer 11, spoofing
>>> Internet Explorer 11 in SeaMonkey does not work.  Spoofing Chrome or
>>> Opera do not work.
>>>
>>> Is anyone else having this problem?  Has anyone found a solution?
>>
>> Works fine here, SM 2.49.5 and Win7 SP1. No UA spoofing, advertise
>> Firefox compatibility enabled.
>>
>> Have you tried clearing private data, specifically cache and cookies? If
>> you can get it with IE 11, it must not be a connection or DNS issue.
>>

> I cleared all caches.  After verifying that I had no cookies from any of
> the domains I mentioned in my original message, I enabled cookies from
> all domains.  I enabled HTML5 media and Flash.  I disabled AdBlock Plus.
>   I enabled "Advertise Firefox compatibility".  I even disabled AVG
> Antivirus.  I still cannot get SlashDot via SeaMonkey.

Sorry, out of ideas. I use ABP and didn't bother disabling it.

I'm sure percussive maintenance won't help either.

Paul B. Gallagher
0
Paul
12/16/2019 12:46:07 AM
David E. Ross wrote on 16/12/2019 9:41 AM:
> Windows 7
> Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
> 	SeaMonkey/2.49.5
>
> I cannot view <https://slashdot.org/?desktop=1>.  For over a minute, the
> status bar shows repeated requests to domains such as
> 	slashdot.org
> 	m.slashdot.org
> 	fonts.googleapis.com
> 	a.fsdn.com
> 	d3tglifpd8whs6.cloudfront.net
> 	fonts.gstatic.com
> without ever rendering the page.
>
> Last night, I had no problem with that Web site.  Today, I cannot get
> it.  Trying SeaMonkey in safe mode did not help.  Enabling "Advertise
> Firefox compatibility" did not help.
>
> Although I can get the page while using Internet Explorer 11, spoofing
> Internet Explorer 11 in SeaMonkey does not work.  Spoofing Chrome or
> Opera do not work.
>
> Is anyone else having this problem?  Has anyone found a solution?

David, using my Win7 installation, I clicked on your link and, about
15-20 secs later, was looking at the page!

WFM.

--
Daniel

SeaMonkey/2.49.5 Build identifier: 20190609032134
0
Daniel
12/16/2019 8:16:23 AM
On 15.12.2019 23:41, David E. Ross wrote:
> I cannot view <https://slashdot.org/?desktop=1>.

No porblem for me with Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:60.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.53.1 Build 20191207130010

I think no need to give test advice ;-)

CU

Rainer
0
Rainer
12/16/2019 1:14:46 PM
On 16.12.2019 14:14, Rainer Bielefeld wrote:
> No porblem for me

Also no problem with Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.5 Build 20190730061324

CU

Rainer
0
Rainer
12/16/2019 1:34:49 PM
No problems on my side, but I use uBlock Origin to block its annoying ads.

On 12/15/2019 2:41 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
> Windows 7
> Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
> 	SeaMonkey/2.49.5
>
> I cannot view <https://slashdot.org/?desktop=1>.  For over a minute, the
> status bar shows repeated requests to domains such as
> 	slashdot.org
> 	m.slashdot.org
> 	fonts.googleapis.com
> 	a.fsdn.com
> 	d3tglifpd8whs6.cloudfront.net
> 	fonts.gstatic.com
> without ever rendering the page.
>
> Last night, I had no problem with that Web site.  Today, I cannot get
> it.  Trying SeaMonkey in safe mode did not help.  Enabling "Advertise
> Firefox compatibility" did not help.
>
> Although I can get the page while using Internet Explorer 11, spoofing
> Internet Explorer 11 in SeaMonkey does not work.  Spoofing Chrome or
> Opera do not work.
>
> Is anyone else having this problem?  Has anyone found a solution?

--
"You feel the faint grit of ants beneath your shoes, but keep on walking
because in this world you have to decide what you're willing to kill."
  | |o   o| |   Axe ANT from its address if shown & e-mailing privately.
     \ _ /       Please kindly use Ant nickname & URL/link if crediting.
      ( )
0
Ant
12/16/2019 4:18:59 PM
Ant wrote:
> No problems on my side, but I use uBlock Origin to block its annoying ads.

I have the same results.  I also have uBlock Origin active, as well as
NoScript (and no scripting enabled), and the page loads quickly, without
problems.

Although scripting could be a source of problems (at least indirectly),
I'm inclined to believe that this is something that might be cleared by
emptying the browser cache, and clearing any relevant cookies.

Smith
0
NFN
12/16/2019 4:58:37 PM
David E. Ross wrote on 12/15/19 3:41 PM:
> Windows 7
> Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
> 	SeaMonkey/2.49.5
>
> I cannot view <https://slashdot.org/?desktop=1>.  For over a minute, the
> status bar shows repeated requests to domains such as
> 	slashdot.org
> 	m.slashdot.org
> 	fonts.googleapis.com
> 	a.fsdn.com
> 	d3tglifpd8whs6.cloudfront.net
> 	fonts.gstatic.com
> without ever rendering the page.
>
> Last night, I had no problem with that Web site.  Today, I cannot get
> it.  Trying SeaMonkey in safe mode did not help.  Enabling "Advertise
> Firefox compatibility" did not help.
>
> Although I can get the page while using Internet Explorer 11, spoofing
> Internet Explorer 11 in SeaMonkey does not work.  Spoofing Chrome or
> Opera do not work.
>
> Is anyone else having this problem?  Has anyone found a solution?

Opens just fine here using:
User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101
Firefox/60.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.1
0
sean
12/17/2019 4:41:42 AM
David E. Ross wrote:

> Windows 7
> Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
> 	SeaMonkey/2.49.5
>
> I cannot view <https://slashdot.org/?desktop=1>.  For over a minute, the
> status bar shows repeated requests to domains such as
> 	slashdot.org
> 	m.slashdot.org
> 	fonts.googleapis.com
> 	a.fsdn.com
> 	d3tglifpd8whs6.cloudfront.net
> 	fonts.gstatic.com
> without ever rendering the page.
>
> Last night, I had no problem with that Web site.  Today, I cannot get
> it.  Trying SeaMonkey in safe mode did not help.  Enabling "Advertise
> Firefox compatibility" did not help.
>
> Although I can get the page while using Internet Explorer 11, spoofing
> Internet Explorer 11 in SeaMonkey does not work.  Spoofing Chrome or
> Opera do not work.
>
> Is anyone else having this problem?  Has anyone found a solution?

Well, here's another thought, but it won't last long. One of the
moderators here has been purging every message I post since October 31.
It doesn't matter what I say: as long as it has my name on it he purges
it. And he even purges posts that quote me, as one of yours did.

Since a lot of websites write different code for different browsers, it
stands to reason that those different variants might call different URIs
as they assemble the page. In that case, your computer may be having
trouble retrieving one or more of the resources required for the SM
version of the page but not having trouble retrieving the resources
needed for the other versions of the page. With that in mind, try
purging your DNS resolver cache:

 From a command prompt, type
	ipconfig/flushdns
and hit Enter. Close the command window and reload the page in SeaMonkey.

HTH

Paul B. Gallagher
0
Paul
12/17/2019 6:22:29 AM
On 12/15/2019 2:41 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
> Windows 7
> Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
> 	SeaMonkey/2.49.5
>
> I cannot view <https://slashdot.org/?desktop=1>.  For over a minute, the
> status bar shows repeated requests to domains such as
> 	slashdot.org
> 	m.slashdot.org
> 	fonts.googleapis.com
> 	a.fsdn.com
> 	d3tglifpd8whs6.cloudfront.net
> 	fonts.gstatic.com
> without ever rendering the page.
>
> Last night, I had no problem with that Web site.  Today, I cannot get
> it.  Trying SeaMonkey in safe mode did not help.  Enabling "Advertise
> Firefox compatibility" did not help.
>
> Although I can get the page while using Internet Explorer 11, spoofing
> Internet Explorer 11 in SeaMonkey does not work.  Spoofing Chrome or
> Opera do not work.
>
> Is anyone else having this problem?  Has anyone found a solution?

Somehow, I had preference variable of the form
"general.useragent.override" set for slashdot.org indicating an old
version of Opera.  When I reset it, the problem disappeared.

I am not sure how this happened.  Normally, when I set a preference
variable to a non-default value, my first choice is to use [Edit >
Prefences].  Since that cannot be used to set variables of the form
"general.useragent.override", my next choice is to use the file user.js,
in which I also insert a comment explaining why I am doing it.  My
user.js had no such setting!  So I am not sure how this got set.

In any case, I no longer have the problem.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Duracell batteries are prohibited in my house.
They leak and have severely damaged some expensive
electronics that I own.  Energizer and Eveready
batteries are okay.
0
David
12/18/2019 6:12:41 AM
David E. Ross wrote on 12/18/19 7:12 AM:
> On 12/15/2019 2:41 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
>> Windows 7
>> Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
>> 	SeaMonkey/2.49.5
>>
>> I cannot view <https://slashdot.org/?desktop=1>.  For over a minute, the
>> status bar shows repeated requests to domains such as
>> 	slashdot.org
>> 	m.slashdot.org
>> 	fonts.googleapis.com
>> 	a.fsdn.com
>> 	d3tglifpd8whs6.cloudfront.net
>> 	fonts.gstatic.com
>> without ever rendering the page.
>>
>> Last night, I had no problem with that Web site.  Today, I cannot get
>> it.  Trying SeaMonkey in safe mode did not help.  Enabling "Advertise
>> Firefox compatibility" did not help.
>>
>> Although I can get the page while using Internet Explorer 11, spoofing
>> Internet Explorer 11 in SeaMonkey does not work.  Spoofing Chrome or
>> Opera do not work.
>>
>> Is anyone else having this problem?  Has anyone found a solution?
>
> Somehow, I had preference variable of the form
> "general.useragent.override" set for slashdot.org indicating an old
> version of Opera.  When I reset it, the problem disappeared.
>
> I am not sure how this happened.  Normally, when I set a preference
> variable to a non-default value, my first choice is to use [Edit >
> Prefences].  Since that cannot be used to set variables of the form
> "general.useragent.override", my next choice is to use the file user.js,
> in which I also insert a comment explaining why I am doing it.  My
> user.js had no such setting!  So I am not sure how this got set.
>
> In any case, I no longer have the problem.

I have no problem with ver. 2.53 and imap

--
Gérard Vinkesteijn Rudersdorff

If A equals success, then the formula is A = X + Y + Z.
X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut.
         -- Albert Einstein
0
GerardJan
12/18/2019 6:18:22 AM
David E. Ross wrote on 12/15/19 11:41 PM:
> Windows 7
> Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
> 	SeaMonkey/2.49.5
>
> I cannot view <https://slashdot.org/?desktop=1>.  For over a minute, the
> status bar shows repeated requests to domains such as
> 	slashdot.org
> 	m.slashdot.org
> 	fonts.googleapis.com
> 	a.fsdn.com
> 	d3tglifpd8whs6.cloudfront.net
> 	fonts.gstatic.com
> without ever rendering the page.
>
> Last night, I had no problem with that Web site.  Today, I cannot get
> it.  Trying SeaMonkey in safe mode did not help.  Enabling "Advertise
> Firefox compatibility" did not help.
>
> Although I can get the page while using Internet Explorer 11, spoofing
> Internet Explorer 11 in SeaMonkey does not work.  Spoofing Chrome or
> Opera do not work.
>
> Is anyone else having this problem?  Has anyone found a solution?

I am running /seamonkey/ as:

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:56.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.0
SeaMonkey/2.53

renders fine