size of profile

I had a problem with one POP account traced to my ISP

but the problem did show a shocking revaluation my total profile in app
folder is 16.5Gig

having 3 profiles my primary profile is 16.2Gig

what is max size for this folder

I save 15% of all emails in my primary profile
on my primary POP account have emails dating back to year 2000

I have untested emails going back to year 1974 when I started but this
is not complete as I have had 3 hard drive crashes and did not have a
backup saved in another locations

thanks
0
Smiles
1/30/2020 2:52:31 PM
mozilla.support.seamonkey 13352 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Smiles wrote on 31/01/2020 1:52 AM:
> I had a problem with one POP account traced to my ISP
>
> but the problem did show a shocking revaluation my total profile in app
> folder is 16.5Gig
>
> having 3 profiles my primary profile is 16.2Gig
>
> what is max size for this folder
>
> I save 15% of all emails in my primary profile
> on my primary POP account have emails dating back to year 2000
>
> I have untested emails going back to year 1974 when I started but this
> is not complete as I have had 3 hard drive crashes and did not have a
> backup saved in another locations
>
> thanks

Smiles, you are aware of compacting your profile, aren't you?

When you delete an e-mail, it isn't really deleted, just a bit in its
header information is changed to indicate that it has been 'deleted',
but it really is still in your 'Inbox'. It is only when you Compact your
profile (File - > Empty Trash *AND* File -> Compact Folders) that these
e-mails are actually deleted. Until this time, your Inbox file is just
getting Bigger and Bigger and ....

But, SAFETY FIRST, as your profile is soooo big, create a copy of your
profile and store it in a safe place .... THEN .... File - > Empty Trash
*AND* File -> Compact Folders and see what you're left with.

If things stuff up, you have your second copy to resurrect. If things
work right, make a copy of the reduced profile and then delete the copy
of the original profile.

--
Daniel

Win7 User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.5 Build identifier: 20190609032134

Linux User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623
0
Daniel
1/31/2020 5:56:16 AM
I compact my emails weekly saving a meg or two.

i backup my profile nightly and off site weekly

thanks

Daniel wrote:
> Smiles wrote on 31/01/2020 1:52 AM:
>> I had a problem with one POP account traced to my ISP
>>
>> but the problem did show a shocking revaluation my total profile in
>> app folder is 16.5Gig
>>
>> having 3 profiles my primary profile is 16.2Gig
>>
>> what is max size for this folder
>>
>> I save 15% of all emails in my primary profile
>> on my primary POP account have emails dating back to year 2000
>>
>> I have untested emails going back to year 1974 when I started but this
>> is not complete as I have had 3 hard drive crashes and did not have a
>> backup saved in another locations
>>
>> thanks
>
> Smiles, you are aware of compacting your profile, aren't you?
>
> When you delete an e-mail, it isn't really deleted, just a bit in its
> header information is changed to indicate that it has been 'deleted',
> but it really is still in your 'Inbox'. It is only when you Compact your
> profile (File - > Empty Trash *AND* File -> Compact Folders) that these
> e-mails are actually deleted. Until this time, your Inbox file is just
> getting Bigger and Bigger and ....
>
> But, SAFETY FIRST, as your profile is soooo big, create a copy of your
> profile and store it in a safe place .... THEN .... File - > Empty Trash
> *AND* File -> Compact Folders and see what you're left with.
>
> If things stuff up, you have your second copy to resurrect. If things
> work right, make a copy of the reduced profile and then delete the copy
> of the original profile.

0
Smiles
1/31/2020 3:41:44 PM
Smiles wrote:
> I compact my emails weekly saving a meg or two.
>
> i backup my profile nightly and off site weekly

By your description, it looks like that you're one of the people that
saves *everything* that ever touches your mailbox. If you're routinely
compacting, I suggest a couple of things for consideration:

1) Be more aggressive in discarding message traffic that has no ongoing
value. In my own context, that includes things like "me too" and
"thanks" messages (especially ones that quote complete content of

2) Look at getting attachments out of your mail store -- I think that
that's where the bulk of your accumulation is. One of the tools that's
really useful in both Seamonkey and Thunderbird is the "detach"
function.  It's something of hybrid of "save as" and "delete".  If you
right-click on an attachment and detach, that allows saving the
attachment to somewhere in your file system, and then deletes the
attachment from your mail store.  As long as the saved attachment isn't
moved or deleted, then when you view the message, the attachment is
still visible, as if it was still in your mail store.

A related item is that if you frequently send messages with attachments,
you should be getting rid of the attachments after they've been sent.
Although you may want to keep the cover message, if the original copy of
the file is still on your local file system, then you should delete the
attachment (right-click on the attachment, and select "delete"). There
really is no reason to keep duplicate copies of files in your mail
store, especially if you're dealing with space/size issues in your profile.

For me, one minor annoyance is that there's no way of discarding
graphical content that's embedded in a message body.  I have a mailing
list (sent through a third-party provider), and sometimes, I include
photos in my mailings.  I have a number of recipients that have the
habit of top-quoting responses (including photo content), and sometimes,
I want to keep the response message (e.g., a paragraph or two), even if
I don't want to keep duplicate copies of my photo originals. I haven't
found a way of deleting the photos from messages that I want to keep.
For that, I've taken to sending photos as attachments rather than
embedding in my content, as replies normally don't include attachments,
and subsequently, I don't have to keep the duplicated content.

3) One other thing that you might consider is making a duplicate copy of
your profile.  When you have two profiles, designate one as "current"
and the other as "archive", and then set some arbitrary date, say, 5
years ago.  Then, in the active profile, delete everything that is older
than that date, and in the archive profile, delete everything that is
newer than that date.

There's nothing wrong with keeping old stuff, even stuff that's *really*
old -- in my own collection, I have stuff that goes back nearly 25
years, although I'm more aggressive about deleting old content.
However, for stuff that's more than a few months old, that's all
archival and reference (and where it's very unlikely that you'll do any
further interaction with that -- certainly, not responding to messages,
and likely not even doing something like forwarding content.  Get the
oldest stuff out of your main working profile, and if you need to
reference, you can go to the archive profile.  If, on the off-chance you
need to copy old material, to use for something current, you can either
save individual messages from from the archive profile as .EML files
(and then import those into the active profile), or do more extensive
moving with the ImportExport extension.

Smith
0
NFN
1/31/2020 4:44:10 PM
Smiles wrote on 1/02/2020 2:41 AM:
> I compact my emails weekly saving a meg or two.
>
> i backup my profile nightly and off site weekly
>
> thanks

Ah!! Well!! So much for my bright idea!! ;-)

--
Daniel

Win7 User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.5 Build identifier: 20190609032134

Linux User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623
0
Daniel
2/1/2020 4:03:59 AM
NFN Smith wrote, on 31 jan 20 13:44:

> For me, one minor annoyance is that there's no way of discarding
> graphical content that's embedded in a message body.  I have a mailing
> list (sent through a third-party provider), and sometimes, I include
> photos in my mailings.  I have a number of recipients that have the
> habit of top-quoting responses (including photo content), and sometimes,
> I want to keep the response message (e.g., a paragraph or two), even if
> I don't want to keep duplicate copies of my photo originals. I haven't
> found a way of deleting the photos from messages that I want to keep.
> For that, I've taken to sending photos as attachments rather than
> embedding in my content, as replies normally don't include attachments,
> and subsequently, I don't have to keep the duplicated content.

Frequently, you can get rid of such content using this option:

View / Message Body As / All Body Parts

That way, items which are not considered "attachments" can be still
'deleted' (or perhaps 'detached'), and then you can compact the message.

--
Best,

s) alexyu   <alexyu@postpro.net>

0
alexyu
2/1/2020 5:50:43 PM
alexyu wrote:
> NFN Smith wrote, on 31 jan 20 13:44:
>> For me, one minor annoyance is that there's no way of discarding
>> graphical content that's embedded in a message body.
<snipped>

> Frequently, you can get rid of such content using this option:
>
> View / Message Body As / All Body Parts
>
> That way, items which are not considered "attachments" can be still
> 'deleted' (or perhaps 'detached'), and then you can compact the message.

I'm intrigued, since I occasionally want to do similar (even more
occasionally, in extreme cases, I've resorted to manually editing the
mailbox file).  However, on SeaMonkey 2.49.5, the only options I see
under View / Message Body As are Original HTML, Simple HTML and Plain
Text.  Is "All Body Parts" a new addition in 2.53 or perhaps added by an
extension?

--
Thanks,
Mark.

0
mozilla
2/1/2020 7:19:47 PM
mozilla-lists.mbourne@spamgourmet.com wrote, on 01 Feb 20 16:19:

> alexyu wrote:
>
>> NFN Smith wrote, on 31 jan 20 13:44:
>>> For me, one minor annoyance is that there's no way of discarding
>>> graphical content that's embedded in a message body.
> <snipped>
>
>> Frequently, you can get rid of such content using this option:
>>
>> View / Message Body As / All Body Parts
>>
>> That way, items which are not considered "attachments" can be still
>> 'deleted' (or perhaps 'detached'), and then you can compact the message.
>
> I'm intrigued, since I occasionally want to do similar (even more
> occasionally, in extreme cases, I've resorted to manually editing the
> mailbox file).  However, on SeaMonkey 2.49.5, the only options I see
> under View / Message Body As are Original HTML, Simple HTML and Plain
> Text.  Is "All Body Parts" a new addition in 2.53 or perhaps added by an
> extension?

It's been a part of SM for a long time, but it's not a default.
In 'about:config', just set: "mailnews.display.show_all_body_parts_menu"
to 'true'.

To edit messages' headers, or even their full source, there is an extension:

"Header Tools Lite", by Paolo "Kaosmos"

--
Best,

s) alexyu   <alexyu@postpro.net>

0
alexyu
2/2/2020 4:55:51 AM
NFN Smith wrote:
> Smiles wrote:
>> I compact my emails weekly saving a meg or two.
>>
>> i backup my profile nightly and off site weekly
>>

> By your description, it looks like that you're one of the people that
> saves *everything* that ever touches your mailbox. If you're routinely
> compacting, I suggest a couple of things for consideration:
>
> 1) Be more aggressive in discarding message traffic that has no ongoing
> value. In my own context, that includes things like "me too" and
> "thanks" messages (especially ones that quote complete content of
>
> 2) Look at getting attachments out of your mail store -- I think that
> that's where the bulk of your accumulation is. One of the tools that's
> really useful in both Seamonkey and Thunderbird is the "detach"
> function.  It's something of hybrid of "save as" and "delete".  If you
> right-click on an attachment and detach, that allows saving the
> attachment to somewhere in your file system, and then deletes the
> attachment from your mail store.  As long as the saved attachment isn't
> moved or deleted, then when you view the message, the attachment is
> still visible, as if it was still in your mail store.

I have found this to be true on many users cluttered mail files, be it
SM, TB, Outlook etc.  Gmail is the worse violator as it saves duplicates
of the emails and attachments in multiple folders.  Deleting attachments
in one folder, does not usually update the other saved message copies in
the other Gmail folders.

Sorting the folders by size, you can easily find the culprits of large
attachments, Save/delete the attachments for all your folders, then
compact the folders.  It will delete many GB's if you're a heavy user of
attachments.

Message content can be manipulated using multiple steps.  Select
message, then Message>Edit As New>Save as Draft.  While in draft folder,
it will have the Edit Draft option.  Move the draft message to
appropriate folder, and the Edit icon goes away.  Saving the file, will
flip it to an .html format on the drive, but not in SM.

0
Chuck
2/2/2020 5:34:33 PM
I do not save everything
last week i had 1866 emails of which 45 were kept
I did a cleaned up of one a archive folder for 2017
it had one group of users I can save data off profile
end result
468 emails cleaned of to 4005 jpg about 1.45gig in size

I also moved the archive for all years before 2018 if needed it is easy
to restore
Mozilla folder now 7.02gig 6.68gig in the high profile s is going down

Chuck wrote:
> NFN Smith wrote:
>> Smiles wrote:
>>> I compact my emails weekly saving a meg or two.
>>>
>>> i backup my profile nightly and off site weekly
>>>

>> By your description, it looks like that you're one of the people
>> that saves *everything* that ever touches your mailbox. If you're
>> routinely compacting, I suggest a couple of things for
>> consideration:
>>
>> 1) Be more aggressive in discarding message traffic that has no
>> ongoing value. In my own context, that includes things like "me
>> too" and "thanks" messages (especially ones that quote complete
>> content of previous messages).
>>
>> 2) Look at getting attachments out of your mail store -- I think
>> that that's where the bulk of your accumulation is. One of the
>> tools that's really useful in both Seamonkey and Thunderbird is the
>> "detach" function.  It's something of hybrid of "save as" and
>> "delete".  If you right-click on an attachment and detach, that
>> allows saving the attachment to somewhere in your file system, and
>> then deletes the attachment from your mail store.  As long as the
>> saved attachment isn't moved or deleted, then when you view the
>> message, the attachment is still visible, as if it was still in
>> your mail store.
>
> I have found this to be true on many users cluttered mail files, be
> it SM, TB, Outlook etc.  Gmail is the worse violator as it saves
> duplicates of the emails and attachments in multiple folders.
> Deleting attachments in one folder, does not usually update the other
> saved message copies in the other Gmail folders.
>
> Sorting the folders by size, you can easily find the culprits of
> large attachments, Save/delete the attachments for all your folders,
> then compact the folders.  It will delete many GB's if you're a heavy
> user of attachments.
>
> Message content can be manipulated using multiple steps.  Select
> message, then Message>Edit As New>Save as Draft.  While in draft
> folder, it will have the Edit Draft option.  Move the draft message
> to appropriate folder, and the Edit icon goes away.  Saving the file,
> will flip it to an .html format on the drive, but not in SM.

ch
0
Smiles
2/2/2020 8:56:42 PM
alexyu wrote:
> mozilla-lists.mbourne@spamgourmet.com wrote, on 01 Feb 20 16:19:
>
>> alexyu wrote:

>> <snipped>
>>
>>> Frequently, you can get rid of such content using this option:
>>>
>>> View / Message Body As / All Body Parts
>>>
>>> That way, items which are not considered "attachments" can be still
>>> 'deleted' (or perhaps 'detached'), and then you can compact the message.
>>
>> I'm intrigued, since I occasionally want to do similar (even more
>> occasionally, in extreme cases, I've resorted to manually editing the
>> mailbox file).  However, on SeaMonkey 2.49.5, the only options I see
>> under View / Message Body As are Original HTML, Simple HTML and Plain
>> Text.  Is "All Body Parts" a new addition in 2.53 or perhaps added by
>> an extension?
>
> It's been a part of SM for a long time, but it's not a default.
> In 'about:config', just set: "mailnews.display.show_all_body_parts_menu"
> to 'true'.

All these years and I didn't know about that one.  Thanks for that.  I
just happened to have need to do this again.  Enabling that option and
deleting the "attachment" for an inline image has exactly the same
effect as what I'd done manually a few times - but much quicker, easier
and less error-prone!  I'd even been manually tweaking the MIME parts
for the deleted images so that they show up as "Deleted: ..." in the
attachments list like normal deleted attachments do.

> To edit messages' headers, or even their full source, there is an
> extension:
>
> "Header Tools Lite", by Paolo "Kaosmos"

That could be useful on the odd occasion.  I don't often want to edit
existing messages other than to delete large attachments - which take
less space saved as separate files and avoids huge mailbox files.

--
Thanks,
Mark.

0
mozilla
2/4/2020 10:53:51 PM
Mark/mozilla-lists.mbourne@spamgourmet.com wrote, on 04 Feb 20 19:53:

>> It's been a part of SM for a long time, but it's not a default.
>> In 'about:config', just set:
>> "mailnews.display.show_all_body_parts_menu" to 'true'.
>
> All these years and I didn't know about that one.  Thanks for that.  I
> just happened to have need to do this again.  Enabling that option and
> deleting the "attachment" for an inline image has exactly the same
> effect as what I'd done manually a few times - but much quicker, easier
> and less error-prone!  I'd even been manually tweaking the MIME parts
> for the deleted images so that they show up as "Deleted: ..." in the
> attachments list like normal deleted attachments do.

Yes, I too only discovered it by chance, when someone else mentioned it,
many years ago. Now I've 'returned the favor' to the community...  :-)

>> To edit messages' headers, or even their full source, there is an
>> extension:
>>
>> "Header Tools Lite", by Paolo "Kaosmos"
>
> That could be useful on the odd occasion.  I don't often want to edit
> existing messages other than to delete large attachments - which take
> less space saved as separate files and avoids huge mailbox files.

It's an easier way to do what you've been doing up to now, for the cases
where "all body parts" still doesn't allow deleting an 'attachment' (or
to keep a message but safely taking out a part with 'dangerous code').

--
Best,

s) alexyu   <alexyu@postpro.net>

0