Security Certificate Problem

On my wife's 32 bit PC running Windows Seven Home and SM 2.95, sites
frequently fail to load properly and the following error message is
displayed:  "SEC_ERROR_UNKNOWN_ISSUER">SEC_ERROR_UNKNOWN_ISSUER".

Any suggestions on hot to fix this problem?

On my 64 bit PC running Windows Seven Pro and SM 2.95, no such problem
is observed.

On both machines, Kaspersky Interner Security is the security software
in use.  On both machines, Microsoft update shows that all updates are
in place.

Related:  what are the respective Mozilla browser and e-mail software
versions that SM 2.95 is based on?

Thanks, in advance, for any suggestions, advice, and fixes.
0
Henrik37
12/5/2019 8:47:23 PM
mozilla.support.seamonkey 13479 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On 12/5/19 3:47 PM, Henrik37 wrote:
> On my wife's 32 bit PC running Windows Seven Home and SM 2.95, sites=20
> frequently fail to load properly and the following error message is=20
> displayed:=C2=A0 "SEC_ERROR_UNKNOWN_ISSUER">SEC_ERROR_UNKNOWN_ISSUER".
>=20
> Any suggestions on hot to fix this problem?
>=20
> On my 64 bit PC running Windows Seven Pro and SM 2.95, no such problem =

> is observed.
>=20
> On both machines, Kaspersky Interner Security is the security software =

> in use.=C2=A0 On both machines, Microsoft update shows that all updates=
 are=20
> in place.
>=20
> Related:=C2=A0 what are the respective Mozilla browser and e-mail softw=
are=20
> versions that SM 2.95 is based on?
>=20
> Thanks, in advance, for any suggestions, advice, and fixes.

There is no SM 2.95.

Your User Agent is Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101=20
Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.5.

That is based on Firefox 52 ESR and Thunderbird 52.

--=20
OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop

WaltS48
12/5/2019 9:29:53 PM
Oops --

I should have written that both PC's were running SM 2.49.5, NOT 2.49.

Henrik37 wrote:
> On my wife's 32 bit PC running Windows Seven Home and SM 2.95, sites
> frequently fail to load properly and the following error message is
> displayed:  "SEC_ERROR_UNKNOWN_ISSUER">SEC_ERROR_UNKNOWN_ISSUER".
>
> Any suggestions on hot to fix this problem?
>
> On my 64 bit PC running Windows Seven Pro and SM 2.95, no such problem
> is observed.
>
> On both machines, Kaspersky Interner Security is the security software
> in use.  On both machines, Microsoft update shows that all updates are
> in place.
>
> Related:  what are the respective Mozilla browser and e-mail software
> versions that SM 2.95 is based on?
>
> Thanks, in advance, for any suggestions, advice, and fixes.

0
Henrik37
12/6/2019 2:12:46 AM
Oops again --

I should have written that both PCs were running SM 2.49.5, NOT 2.95.

Henrik37 wrote:
> Oops --
>
> I should have written that both PC's were running SM 2.49.5, NOT 2.49.
>

> Henrik37 wrote:
>> On my wife's 32 bit PC running Windows Seven Home and SM 2.95, sites
>> frequently fail to load properly and the following error message is
>> displayed:  "SEC_ERROR_UNKNOWN_ISSUER">SEC_ERROR_UNKNOWN_ISSUER".
>>
>> Any suggestions on hot to fix this problem?
>>
>> On my 64 bit PC running Windows Seven Pro and SM 2.95, no such problem
>> is observed.
>>
>> On both machines, Kaspersky Interner Security is the security software
>> in use.  On both machines, Microsoft update shows that all updates are
>> in place.
>>
>> Related:  what are the respective Mozilla browser and e-mail software
>> versions that SM 2.95 is based on?
>>
>> Thanks, in advance, for any suggestions, advice, and fixes.

0
Henrik37
12/6/2019 2:15:44 AM
Henrik37 wrote:

> I should have written that both PCs were running SM 2.49.5, NOT 2.95.
>
> Henrik37 wrote:
>> Oops --
>>
>> I should have written that both PC's were running SM 2.49.5, NOT 2.49.
>>

>> Henrik37 wrote:
>>> On my wife's 32 bit PC running Windows Seven Home and SM 2.95, sites
>>> frequently fail to load properly and the following error message is
>>> displayed:  "SEC_ERROR_UNKNOWN_ISSUER">SEC_ERROR_UNKNOWN_ISSUER".
>>>
>>> Any suggestions on hot to fix this problem?
>>>
>>> On my 64 bit PC running Windows Seven Pro and SM 2.95, no such
>>> problem is observed.
>>>
>>> On both machines, Kaspersky Interner Security is the security
>>> software in use.  On both machines, Microsoft update shows that all
>>> updates are in place.
>>>
>>> Related:  what are the respective Mozilla browser and e-mail software
>>> versions that SM 2.95 is based on?
>>>
>>> Thanks, in advance, for any suggestions, advice, and fixes.

Despite my having thoroughly screwed up this post, thanks to WaltS48 for
the info on from where SM 2.49.5 draws from Mozilla.
0
Henrik37
12/6/2019 11:12:58 PM
Henrik37 wrote:
> Henrik37 wrote:
>>
>> I should have written that both PCs were running SM 2.49.5, NOT 2.95.
>>
>> Henrik37 wrote:
>>> Oops --
>>>
>>> I should have written that both PC's were running SM 2.49.5, NOT 2.49.

> Despite my having thoroughly screwed up this post, thanks to WaltS48 for the
> info on from where SM 2.49.5 draws from Mozilla.

https://palant.de/categories/kaspersky/

Certificate failures are almost every time cause by the av software. I would
turn off any https scanning. The software plays man in the middle.

https://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?/topic/371162-how-to-disable-ssl-interception/

https://support.kaspersky.com/common/safemoney/12489

FRG

0
Frank
12/6/2019 11:24:34 PM
Le samedi 7 d=C3=A9cembre 2019 00:24:45 UTC+1, Frank-Rainer Grahl a =C3=A9c=
rit=C2=A0:
> Henrik37 wrote:
> > Henrik37 wrote:
> >>
> >> I should have written that both PCs were running SM 2.49.5, NOT 2.95.

> > Despite my having thoroughly screwed up this post, thanks to WaltS48 fo=
r the=20
> > info on from where SM 2.49.5 draws from Mozilla.
>=20
>=20
> https://palant.de/categories/kaspersky/
>=20
> Certificate failures are almost every time cause by the av software. I wo=
uld=20
> turn off any https scanning. The software plays man in the middle.
>=20
> https://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?/topic/371162-how-to-disable-ssl-in=
terception/
>=20
> https://support.kaspersky.com/common/safemoney/12489
>=20
> FRG

I agree.
My company uses Kapersky as antivirus and 99% of software (not virus) stopp=
ing working as it should is caused by this Kaper...
Each time, IT team start to say "No, Kapersky is not the problem"; they try=
 software to work; does not success (well, 1% they success). Finally they s=
top Kapersky... and 98% sucess. Last 1% stopping Kapersky is not enought: h=
ave to REMOVE it.
0
jcteyssier1
12/7/2019 8:12:31 AM
Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:
> Henrik37 wrote:
>> Henrik37 wrote:
>>>
>>> I should have written that both PCs were running SM 2.49.5, NOT 2.95.

>> Despite my having thoroughly screwed up this post, thanks to WaltS48
>> for the info on from where SM 2.49.5 draws from Mozilla.
>

> https://palant.de/categories/kaspersky/
>
> Certificate failures are almost every time cause by the av software. I
> would turn off any https scanning. The software plays man in the middle.
>
> https://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?/topic/371162-how-to-disable-ssl-interception/
>

> https://support.kaspersky.com/common/safemoney/12489
>
> FRG

Thanks to FRG for the suggestions.  I must say, however, at 82 I am
having a hard time getting what is left of my brainpower around this
issue  After reading a large group of the Palant posts, it sounds like
this is a more severe problem than I could have ever imagined and that
the AV vendors may not have it fully under control yet.  What is the
best vendor's AV fix?
0
Henrik37
12/9/2019 3:08:14 AM
Henrik37 wrote:
> Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:
>> Henrik37 wrote:

>>> Despite my having thoroughly screwed up this post, thanks to WaltS48 for
>>> the info on from where SM 2.49.5 draws from Mozilla.
>>

>> https://palant.de/categories/kaspersky/
>>
>> Certificate failures are almost every time cause by the av software. I would
>> turn off any https scanning. The software plays man in the middle.
>>
>> https://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?/topic/371162-how-to-disable-ssl-interception/
>>

>> https://support.kaspersky.com/common/safemoney/12489
>>
>> FRG
>>

> Thanks to FRG for the suggestions.  I must say, however, at 82 I am having a
> hard time getting what is left of my brainpower around this issue  After
> reading a large group of the Palant posts, it sounds like this is a more
> severe problem than I could have ever imagined and that the AV vendors may not
> have it fully under control yet.  What is the best vendor's AV fix?

I am just using Microsoft Security Essenstionals on 7 but with the January
dealing stopping security updates I am not sure if Microsoft will provide
further updates past that date.

FRG
0
Frank
12/9/2019 8:45:45 AM
Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:
> Henrik37 wrote:
>> Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:

>>> https://palant.de/categories/kaspersky/
>>>
>>> Certificate failures are almost every time cause by the av software.
>>> I would turn off any https scanning. The software plays man in the
>>> middle.
>>>
>>> https://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?/topic/371162-how-to-disable-ssl-interception/
>>>

>>> https://support.kaspersky.com/common/safemoney/12489
>>>
>>> FRG
>>>

>> Thanks to FRG for the suggestions.  I must say, however, at 82 I am
>> having a hard time getting what is left of my brainpower around this
>> issue  After reading a large group of the Palant posts, it sounds like
>> this is a more severe problem than I could have ever imagined and that
>> the AV vendors may not have it fully under control yet.  What is the
>> best vendor's AV fix?
>
> I am just using Microsoft Security Essenstionals on 7 but with the
> January dealing stopping security updates I am not sure if Microsoft
> will provide further updates past that date.
>
> FRG

Windows Security Essentials was not the same beast back then, but I seem
to remember WSE updates for Win XP stopping when support for that level
ran out.
There were articles in C't about WinXP and virus scanners back then,
what I remember was that most of the other companies said they were
going to continue updating their XP scanners for at least a year after
MS stopped supporting the OS.
I had a laptop with 1GB memory and XP and I finally nuked Avira there
when it was taking around 10 mins to boot just because of the -
occasionally misfiring - virus scanner.  This means I have no idea how
long Avira supported XP.

--
spammus ergo sum, viruses courtesy of https://www.nsa.gov/malware/
0
Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote:
> Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:
>> Henrik37 wrote:

>>> Thanks to FRG for the suggestions.  I must say, however, at 82 I am having
>>> a hard time getting what is left of my brainpower around this issue  After
>>> reading a large group of the Palant posts, it sounds like this is a more
>>> severe problem than I could have ever imagined and that the AV vendors may
>>> not have it fully under control yet.  What is the best vendor's AV fix?
>>
>> I am just using Microsoft Security Essenstionals on 7 but with the January
>> dealing stopping security updates I am not sure if Microsoft will provide
>> further updates past that date.
>>
>> FRG
>
> Windows Security Essentials was not the same beast back then, but I seem to
> remember WSE updates for Win XP stopping when support for that level ran out.
> There were articles in C't about WinXP and virus scanners back then, what I
> remember was that most of the other companies said they were going to continue
> updating their XP scanners for at least a year after MS stopped supporting the
> OS.
> I had a laptop with 1GB memory and XP and I finally nuked Avira there when it
> was taking around 10 mins to boot just because of the - occasionally misfiring
> - virus scanner.  This means I have no idea how long Avira supported XP.

Worked till last April for XP x86 when extended support for the embedded
variant ended. Would prtobably have still worked with the current updates too
but they switched on later Windows support features in the update exe which no
longer runs because of it. XP 64 support ended fast. Given the fact that Win 7
will be supported for Enterrpise customers longer MSE might have some life
left. We will see.

Avira is junk. Needed to clean several PCs from friends and co workers after
viruses hit them. McAfee at work takes 99% cpu when scanning. So far all but
Windows Defender seem to be bad. Unless you need email scanning (I reply on
Brain 1.0 here) it should be enough.

FRG
0
Frank
12/9/2019 1:31:00 PM
Get off my wmail you freaks

On Mon, Dec 9, 2019, 2:50 AM Frank-Rainer Grahl <frgrahl@gmx.net> wrote:

> Henrik37 wrote:
> > Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:

> 2.49.

> sites

> problem

> software
> are

> software

> for
> >>

> >> https://palant.de/categories/kaspersky/
> >>
> >> Certificate failures are almost every time cause by the av software. I
> would
> >> turn off any https scanning. The software plays man in the middle.
> >>

> https://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?/topic/371162-how-to-disable-ssl-interception/
> >>

> >> https://support.kaspersky.com/common/safemoney/12489
> >>
> >> FRG
> >>

> > Thanks to FRG for the suggestions.  I must say, however, at 82 I am
> having a
> > hard time getting what is left of my brainpower around this issue  After
> > reading a large group of the Palant posts, it sounds like this is a more
> > severe problem than I could have ever imagined and that the AV vendors
> may not
> > have it fully under control yet.  What is the best vendor's AV fix?
>
> I am just using Microsoft Security Essenstionals on 7 but with the January
> dealing stopping security updates I am not sure if Microsoft will provide
> further updates past that date.
>
> FRG

Brandon
12/9/2019 2:17:26 PM
Brandon Barker wrote:
> Get off my wmail you freaks

If you can't handle the traffic, unsubscribe.  It's not rocket science.