Search plugins

Is there any way to add a search plugin manually to SeaMonkey?  I found and
was able to edit a search plugin, which was then easy to install in Pale
Moon's profile, but SeaMonkey haa no searchplugins directory in its profile
any more.

I found a search plugin in addons.thunderbird.net for MetaGer, but when I
installed it in SeaMonkey, it created a huge icon.  The icon was supposed to
be 16x16, but it came out 32x32 when displayed.  Is there any way to edit that?
0
EE
7/8/2019 7:34:23 PM
mozilla.support.seamonkey 13151 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

EE wrote:

> Is there any way to add a search plugin manually to SeaMonkey?  I found
> and was able to edit a search plugin, which was then easy to install in
> Pale Moon's profile, but SeaMonkey haa no searchplugins directory in its
> profile any more.
>
> I found a search plugin in addons.thunderbird.net for MetaGer, but when
> I installed it in SeaMonkey, it created a huge icon.  The icon was
> supposed to be 16x16, but it came out 32x32 when displayed.  Is there
> any way to edit that?

Try this:

Edit | Preferences | Browser | Internet Search
Click [Manage Search Engines...]

If you don't see what you want, click "Get more search engines" at the
lower left of the dialog box. In the browser window that opens, MetaGer
is at
<https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/seamonkey/search/?sort=name&atype=4%3Fatype%3D4&page=115>

HTH

Paul B. Gallagher

0
Paul
7/8/2019 8:25:28 PM
Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
> EE wrote:
>
>> Is there any way to add a search plugin manually to SeaMonkey?  I found and
>> was able to edit a search plugin, which was then easy to install in Pale
>> Moon's profile, but SeaMonkey haa no searchplugins directory in its profile
>> any more.
>>
>> I found a search plugin in addons.thunderbird.net for MetaGer, but when I
>> installed it in SeaMonkey, it created a huge icon.  The icon was supposed to
>> be 16x16, but it came out 32x32 when displayed.  Is there any way to edit that?
>
> Try this:
>
> Edit | Preferences | Browser | Internet Search
> Click [Manage Search Engines...]
>
> If you don't see what you want, click "Get more search engines" at the lower
> left of the dialog box. In the browser window that opens, MetaGer is at
> <https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/seamonkey/search/?sort=name&atype=4%3Fatype%3D4&page=115>
>

> HTH

I tried that.  That was the one that produced the huge icon that distorted the
size of the whole toolbar.  I found another one at MycroftProject, but that
one was only in German.  I was able to create a hybrid of both which I
installed into Pale Moon, because that installation is easy to do.  If I could
either shrink the icon or install the hybrid manually into SeaMonkey, I would
use it, but as things are, I do not consider either plugin usable.
I suppose there is no bookmarklet that would allow manual installation of
search plugins into SeaMonkey?
0
EE
7/9/2019 6:30:42 PM
EE wrote:

> I tried that.  That was the one that produced the huge icon that
> distorted the size of the whole toolbar. I found another one at
> MycroftProject, but that one was only in German. I was able to
> create a hybrid of both which I installed into Pale Moon, because
> that installation is easy to do. If I could either shrink the icon
> or install the hybrid manually into SeaMonkey, I would use it, but as
> things are, I do not consider either plugin usable. I suppose there
> is no bookmarklet that would allow manual installation of search
> plugins into SeaMonkey?

If the only issue is the size of the icon, someone here should be able
to tell you how to hack the icon to fix it. Sorry, beyond my ability.

Paul B. Gallagher
0
Paul
7/9/2019 7:49:19 PM
Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
> EE wrote:
>
>> I tried that.  That was the one that produced the huge icon that distorted
>> the size of the whole toolbar. I found another one at MycroftProject, but
>> that one was only in German. I was able to
>> create a hybrid of both which I installed into Pale Moon, because
>> that installation is easy to do. If I could either shrink the icon
>> or install the hybrid manually into SeaMonkey, I would use it, but as
>> things are, I do not consider either plugin usable. I suppose there
>> is no bookmarklet that would allow manual installation of search
>> plugins into SeaMonkey?
>
> If the only issue is the size of the icon, someone here should be able to tell
> you how to hack the icon to fix it. Sorry, beyond my ability.

I just got some advice from someone about solving the problem.  If you remove
or rename the file search.json.mozlz4 in the profile (with SeaMonkey off) and
tben add a searchplugins directory to the profile with whatever search plugins
you want to add in there, they will be used.  It works.

0
EE