SeaMonkey "outages"

After years of no problems, suddenly, and totally at random, my
SeaMonkey seems to just lose power...and occasionally totally loses it's
web connection for some reason.

This happened a few minutes ago, and I used the site
http://www.speed.io/index_en.html to conduct a speed test on SeaMonkey
and Internet Explorer, one right after another. Here are the results...

-----------------

First, SeaMonkey:

Download = 670 Kbit/s
Upload = 543 Kbit/s
Connections = 2209/minute
Ping = 43 ms

Overall quality equals to 768 Kbit/s

-----------------

Immediately after, Internet Explorer:

Download = 13292 Kbit/s
Upload = 1053 Kbit/s
Connections = 957/minute
Ping = 29 ms

Overall quality equals to 12000 Kbit/s

-----------------

What could be causing these outages, and what can I do to fix them?

Thanks for your help!

-George
0
George
4/12/2011 7:58:03 PM
mozilla.support.seamonkey 13167 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

George Carden wrote:

> This happened a few minutes ago, and I used the site
> http://www.speed.io/index_en.html to conduct a speed test on SeaMonkey
> and Internet Explorer, one right after another. Here are the results...

I happened to have Opera open when I read your post. Here's what that
speed test site told me:
<quote>
In order to use speed.io you need Internet Explorer, Firefox or Safari

If you want to test your internet speed with Opera, we recommend you to
use the AJAX based speedtest at Speedmeter.de

You will be redirected automatically in 5 seconds . . .
</quote>

Notice SeaMonkey is not listed.   :-/   But with my Firefox-spoofing UA
string it would run. It reported 7984 Kbps down, 884 Kbps up. Then I ran
it with Firefox, and got 12922/1057 on my 13Mbps cable line. I have no
Internet Explorer, nor Windows. So SeaMonkey reports slower than
Firefox. but far from the difference you are reporting.

What speed are you actually paying for?

--
   -bts
Beauregard

Download 4378 KBits
Upload  2811 KBits
Connections  929 per min
Ping  34ms

SeaMonkey  version 2.0.13

     *     Copyright � 1998-2011 by contributors to the Mozilla Project.

     *     Read the licensing information for this product.

     *     See the build configuration used for this version.

     *     Build identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US;
rv:1.9.1.18) Gecko/20110320 not Firefox/3.6 SeaMonkey/2.0.5, Firefox/3.0

 > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> George Carden wrote:
>
>> This happened a few minutes ago, and I used the site
>> http://www.speed.io/index_en.html to conduct a speed test on SeaMonkey
>> and Internet Explorer, one right after another. Here are the results...
>
> I happened to have Opera open when I read your post. Here's what that
> speed test site told me:
> <quote>
> In order to use speed.io you need Internet Explorer, Firefox or Safari
>
> If you want to test your internet speed with Opera, we recommend you to
> use the AJAX based speedtest at Speedmeter.de
>
> You will be redirected automatically in 5 seconds . . .
> </quote>
>
> Notice SeaMonkey is not listed.   :-/   But with my Firefox-spoofing UA
> string it would run. It reported 7984 Kbps down, 884 Kbps up. Then I ran
> it with Firefox, and got 12922/1057 on my 13Mbps cable line. I have no
> Internet Explorer, nor Windows. So SeaMonkey reports slower than
> Firefox. but far from the difference you are reporting.
>
> What speed are you actually paying for?

--

Thanks! & 73, KD4E
David Colburn http://kd4e.com
George Carden wrote:
> After years of no problems, suddenly, and totally at random, my
> SeaMonkey seems to just lose power...and occasionally totally loses it's
> web connection for some reason.
>
> This happened a few minutes ago, and I used the site
> http://www.speed.io/index_en.html to conduct a speed test on SeaMonkey
> and Internet Explorer, one right after another. Here are the results...
>
> -----------------
>
> First, SeaMonkey:
>
> Download = 670 Kbit/s
> Upload = 543 Kbit/s
> Connections = 2209/minute
> Ping = 43 ms
>
> Overall quality equals to 768 Kbit/s
>
> -----------------
>
> Immediately after, Internet Explorer:
>
> Download = 13292 Kbit/s
> Upload = 1053 Kbit/s
> Connections = 957/minute
> Ping = 29 ms
>
> Overall quality equals to 12000 Kbit/s
>
> -----------------
>
> What could be causing these outages, and what can I do to fix them?
>
> Thanks for your help!

Build identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US;
rv:1.9.1.15) Gecko/20101027 NOT Firefox/3.6.16 SeaMonkey/2.0.10

Results from http://www.speed.io
(Copied on 2011-04-13 00:15:18)
Download: 16773 Kbit/s
Upload : 3782 kbit/s
Connects : 2724 conn/min
Ping: 34 ms

Now removing the NOT Firefox/3.6.16:
Build identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US;
rv:1.9.1.15) Gecko/20101027 SeaMonkey/2.0.10

Results from http://www.speed.io
(Copied on 2011-04-13 00:22:34)
Download: 18516 Kbit/s
Upload : 3895 kbit/s
Connects : 2269 conn/min
Ping: 33 ms

So Seamonkey with or without spoofing FireFox gives the same results.
0
Ray_Net
4/12/2011 10:25:51 PM
Ray_Net wrote:
> George Carden wrote:
>> After years of no problems, suddenly, and totally at random, my
>> SeaMonkey seems to just lose power...and occasionally totally loses it's
>> web connection for some reason.
>>
>> This happened a few minutes ago, and I used the site
>> http://www.speed.io/index_en.html to conduct a speed test on SeaMonkey
>> and Internet Explorer, one right after another. Here are the results...
>>
>> -----------------
>>
>> First, SeaMonkey:
>>
>> Download = 670 Kbit/s
>> Upload = 543 Kbit/s
>> Connections = 2209/minute
>> Ping = 43 ms
>>
>> Overall quality equals to 768 Kbit/s
>>
>> -----------------
>>
>> Immediately after, Internet Explorer:
>>
>> Download = 13292 Kbit/s
>> Upload = 1053 Kbit/s
>> Connections = 957/minute
>> Ping = 29 ms
>>
>> Overall quality equals to 12000 Kbit/s
>>
>> -----------------
>>
>> What could be causing these outages, and what can I do to fix them?
>>
>> Thanks for your help!
>>

> Build identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US;
> rv:1.9.1.15) Gecko/20101027 NOT Firefox/3.6.16 SeaMonkey/2.0.10
>
> Results from http://www.speed.io
> (Copied on 2011-04-13 00:15:18)
> Download: 16773 Kbit/s
> Upload : 3782 kbit/s
> Connects : 2724 conn/min
> Ping: 34 ms
>
> Now removing the NOT Firefox/3.6.16:
> Build identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US;
> rv:1.9.1.15) Gecko/20101027 SeaMonkey/2.0.10
>
> Results from http://www.speed.io
> (Copied on 2011-04-13 00:22:34)
> Download: 18516 Kbit/s
> Upload : 3895 kbit/s
> Connects : 2269 conn/min
> Ping: 33 ms
>
> So Seamonkey with or without spoofing FireFox gives the same results.

I had no problems running this with SM, either -- no prompts, no
complaints, no nothing. Just ran.

Download: 6834 Kbit/s
Upload: 8924 kbit/s
Connects: 1210 conn/min
Ping: 107 ms

Second pass, two minutes later:
Download: 23189 Kbit/s
Upload: 9062 kbit/s
Connects: 800 conn/min
Ping: 150 ms

Third pass, two minutes later:
Download: 19131 Kbit/s
Upload: 9062 kbit/s
Connects: 706 conn/min
Ping: 186 ms

For me, it looks like there's a lot of minute-to-minute fluctuation, at
least in the downlink.

Paul B. Gallagher
0
Paul
4/12/2011 10:52:53 PM
On 04/12/2011 12:58 PM, George Carden wrote:
> After years of no problems, suddenly, and totally at random, my
> SeaMonkey seems to just lose power...and occasionally totally loses it's
> web connection for some reason.
>
> This happened a few minutes ago, and I used the site
> http://www.speed.io/index_en.html to conduct a speed test on SeaMonkey
> and Internet Explorer, one right after another. Here are the results...
>
> -----------------
>
> First, SeaMonkey:
>
> Download = 670 Kbit/s
> Upload = 543 Kbit/s
> Connections = 2209/minute
> Ping = 43 ms
>
> Overall quality equals to 768 Kbit/s
>
> -----------------
>
> Immediately after, Internet Explorer:
>
> Download = 13292 Kbit/s
> Upload = 1053 Kbit/s
> Connections = 957/minute
> Ping = 29 ms
>
> Overall quality equals to 12000 Kbit/s
>
> -----------------
>
> What could be causing these outages, and what can I do to fix them?

Did you test SeaMonkey again immediately after IE?

My tests are pretty consistant with the speedtest site I use:
http://myspeed.visualware.com/index.php

SeaMonkey 2.1b3 (linux):
Test Type:	Application Speed
Location:
Download Speed:	2542 kbps
Upload Speed:	417 kbps
Speed Consistency:	99 %
Round Trip Time:	17 ms
Max Delay:	7 ms
Average Delay:	4 ms
Bandwidth:	2560 kbps
Max Route Speed:	30840 kbps
Route Concurrency:	1
Test Type:	s / s
Round Trip Time Consistency:	77 %

Opera:
Test Type:	Application Speed
Location:
Download Speed:	2541 kbps
Upload Speed:	433 kbps
Speed Consistency:	99 %
Round Trip Time:	17 ms
Max Delay:	9 ms
Average Delay:	4 ms
Bandwidth:	2541 kbps
Max Route Speed:	30840 kbps
Route Concurrency:	1
Test Type:	s / s
Round Trip Time Consistency:	73 %

Chromium:
Test Type:	Application Speed
Location:
Download Speed:	2542 kbps
Upload Speed:	434 kbps
Speed Consistency:	99 %
Round Trip Time:	16 ms
Max Delay:	8 ms
Average Delay:	4 ms
Bandwidth:	2560 kbps
Max Route Speed:	32767 kbps
Route Concurrency:	1
Test Type:	s / s
Round Trip Time Consistency:	69 %

Epiphany:
Test Type:	Application Speed
Location:
Download Speed:	2542 kbps
Upload Speed:	419 kbps
Speed Consistency:	99 %
Round Trip Time:	17 ms
Max Delay:	7 ms
Average Delay:	4 ms
Bandwidth:	2560 kbps
Max Route Speed:	30840 kbps
Route Concurrency:	1
Test Type:	s / s
Round Trip Time Consistency:	77 %

I'm on an AT&T DSL 3MB/512KB, and have both IPv4 and IPv6 connectivity.
I note that last as whenever speed issues comes up the first thing
someone recommends is turning of IPv6. I have miredo - Teredo IPv6
tunneling through NATs running full time.

0
NoOp
4/12/2011 11:16:17 PM
George Carden wrote:
> After years of no problems, suddenly, and totally at random, my
> SeaMonkey seems to just lose power...and occasionally totally loses it's
> web connection for some reason.
>
> This happened a few minutes ago, and I used the site
> http://www.speed.io/index_en.html to conduct a speed test on SeaMonkey
> and Internet Explorer, one right after another. Here are the results...
>
> -----------------
>
> First, SeaMonkey:
>
> Download = 670 Kbit/s
> Upload = 543 Kbit/s
> Connections = 2209/minute
> Ping = 43 ms
>
> Overall quality equals to 768 Kbit/s
>
> -----------------
>
> Immediately after, Internet Explorer:
>
> Download = 13292 Kbit/s
> Upload = 1053 Kbit/s
> Connections = 957/minute
> Ping = 29 ms
>
> Overall quality equals to 12000 Kbit/s
>
> -----------------
>
> What could be causing these outages, and what can I do to fix them?

Those are not 'outages' merely random slowdowns.  Do 5 tests of each
and show the results.

"ping" times vary from moment to moment. I do not believe you can show that "ping"
times are Browser dependent - am I wrong?

0
Rick
4/13/2011 4:00:44 PM
On Wednesday, April 13, 2011 09:00:44 AM Rick Merrill wrote:
> George Carden wrote:
> > After years of no problems, suddenly, and totally at random, my
> > SeaMonkey seems to just lose power...and occasionally totally loses
> > it's web connection for some reason.
> >
> > This happened a few minutes ago, and I used the site
> > http://www.speed.io/index_en.html to conduct a speed test on
> > SeaMonkey and Internet Explorer, one right after another. Here are
> > the results...
> >
> > -----------------
> >
> > First, SeaMonkey:
> >
> > Download = 670 Kbit/s
> > Upload = 543 Kbit/s
> > Connections = 2209/minute
> > Ping = 43 ms
> >
> > Overall quality equals to 768 Kbit/s
> >
> > -----------------
> >
> > Immediately after, Internet Explorer:
> >
> > Download = 13292 Kbit/s
> > Upload = 1053 Kbit/s
> > Connections = 957/minute
> > Ping = 29 ms
> >
> > Overall quality equals to 12000 Kbit/s
> >
> > -----------------
> >
> > What could be causing these outages, and what can I do to fix them?
>
> Those are not 'outages' merely random slowdowns.  Do 5 tests of each
> and show the results.
>
> "ping" times vary from moment to moment. I do not believe you can
> show that "ping" times are Browser dependent - am I wrong?

I just did a test of three browsers. Konqueror, FireFox and SeaMonkey.
Both Konqueror were shown as excellent for overall quality and speeds,
SeaMonkey was rated good for overall quality and average for Speed.

I am running on a 100Mbit fibre optics network.
0
upscope
4/13/2011 5:11:02 PM
upscope wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 13, 2011 09:00:44 AM Rick Merrill wrote:
>> George Carden wrote:
>>> After years of no problems, suddenly, and totally at random, my
>>> SeaMonkey seems to just lose power...and occasionally totally loses
>>> it's web connection for some reason.
>>>
>>> This happened a few minutes ago, and I used the site
>>> http://www.speed.io/index_en.html to conduct a speed test on
>>> SeaMonkey and Internet Explorer, one right after another. Here are
>>> the results...
>>>
>>> -----------------
>>>
>>> First, SeaMonkey:
>>>
>>> Download = 670 Kbit/s
>>> Upload = 543 Kbit/s
>>> Connections = 2209/minute
>>> Ping = 43 ms
>>>
>>> Overall quality equals to 768 Kbit/s
>>>
>>> -----------------
>>>
>>> Immediately after, Internet Explorer:
>>>
>>> Download = 13292 Kbit/s
>>> Upload = 1053 Kbit/s
>>> Connections = 957/minute
>>> Ping = 29 ms
>>>
>>> Overall quality equals to 12000 Kbit/s
>>>
>>> -----------------
>>>
>>> What could be causing these outages, and what can I do to fix them?
>>
>> Those are not 'outages' merely random slowdowns.  Do 5 tests of each
>> and show the results.
>>
>> "ping" times vary from moment to moment. I do not believe you can
>> show that "ping" times are Browser dependent - am I wrong?

> I just did a test of three browsers. Konqueror, FireFox and SeaMonkey.
> Both Konqueror were shown as excellent for overall quality and speeds,
> SeaMonkey was rated good for overall quality and average for Speed.

How does a "test" determine "quality"?!

> I am running on a 100Mbit fibre optics network.

Any routers or other users on the system?

0
Rick
4/13/2011 5:33:49 PM
On Wednesday, April 13, 2011 10:33:49 AM Rick Merrill wrote:
> upscope wrote:

> >> Those are not 'outages' merely random slowdowns.  Do 5 tests of
> >> each and show the results.
> >>
> >> "ping" times vary from moment to moment. I do not believe you can
> >> show that "ping" times are Browser dependent - am I wrong?

> > I just did a test of three browsers. Konqueror, FireFox and
> > SeaMonkey. Both Konqueror were shown as excellent for overall
> > quality and speeds, SeaMonkey was rated good for overall quality
> > and average for Speed.
>
> How does a "test" determine "quality"?!
I do not know unless they are looking at line quality based on need to
retransmit a given packet. It is on of the displays on the link
mentioned above.
> > I am running on a 100Mbit fibre optics network.
>
> Any routers or other users on the system?
a router with one very busy other user. Not a heavily loaded system or
router. I realize the tests are not real good because the end server
where data is coming from may be slow or throttled.

upscope

"SeaMonkey and "Lightning"????
Another question : Can "Lightning Calendar" work with "SeaMonkey"??? Best Regards @lex Alex Beauroy wrote: > Another question : Can "Lightning Calendar" work with "SeaMonkey"??? Not yet, but we'll be trying to make SeaMonkey 2.0 and Lightning 1.0 compatible with each other (actually, I have some development code around here that makes it mostly work). Robert Kaiser Please don't post your question more than once. ...

"m.s.seamonkey " vs. n.p.m.seamonkey" forums??
How does this forum differ from "netscape.public.mozilla.seamonkey"-forum? Why is there to on the apparently same application? _Trombastic_ spoke thusly on 26/04/2006 12:26 PM: > How does this forum differ from "netscape.public.mozilla.seamonkey"-forum? > > Why is there to on the apparently same application? When the Mozilla project began, it was created by Netscape as a development project, with no intent to market 'Mozilla' to end-users. Newsgroups were created in the netscape.public.* hierarchy, for Mozilla contributors. 'Seamonkey&...

Seamonkey mail (2.5) : "Bcc: " -> "To: "
A user is trying to Bcc a large list of contacts. He brings up the compose window and the address book, sets the first recipient field to "Bcc: " and drags the first entry from the address book to this field. As he continues to drag entries to subsequent recipient fields, all follow the first in pattern (i.e., "Bcc: ") until there is room for only one more entry above the divider bar. As he drags an entry into this recipient field, the whole thing scrolls up one line, and a new recipient field is added. This one defaults to "To: ". Why ? Philip T...

Seamonkey 2.3.1 : can I turn off "Seamonkey Instant"
Having finally succeeded in turning off Google Instant and Google Autocomplete by setting my home page to : http://www.google.co.uk/webhp?complete=0 I am now being driven to distraction by Seamonkey's "Find" behaviour (from Ctrl-F) seeking to emulate the abominable Google Instant. Is there any of reverting Find's behaviour to its former line- oriented behaviour whereby it used to wait to be told what to search for (by hitting <return>) rather than trying to be �ber-clever and guess from the characters already typed ? Philip Taylor Philip TAYLOR (Web...

.ALLCOL("%COLUMN%", " ", ", ", ", ")

"SeaMonkey" THE BEST...?
QUOTE: "SeaMonkey 1.0 Beta is one of the most powerful and secure internet software packages currently available, even though this release is only for testing." This is rarther a sweeping statement for Mozilla to quote don't you think...? On 20.12.2005 14:30, Mozzy Fan wrote: --- Original Message --- > QUOTE: "SeaMonkey 1.0 Beta is one of the most powerful and secure > internet software packages currently available, even though this > release is only for testing." > This is rarther a sweeping statement for Mozilla to quote don't you &g...

quotes, quotes, quotes...

the "Windows Live" "Help Center" "does not support" Firefox
Name: ets3rodamar@hotmail.com Email: ets3rodamarathotmaildotcom Product: Minefield Summary: the "Windows Live" "Help Center" "does not support" Firefox Comments: I received the following info when I tried to access the "Help Central" service of "Windows Live" "http://g.live.com/9uxp9en-us/ftr2?productkey=wlhomepage"...: https://account.live.com/error.aspx?errcode=1047&mkt=de-de [quote] Browser wird nicht unterstützt Versuchen Sie, Ihren Browser auf eine neuere Version zu aktualisieren, um sich be...

Bug: SeaMonkey doesn't support function "contains"
SeaMonkey doesn't support Javascript function "contains", see http://de.selfhtml.org/javascript/objekte/anzeige/all_contains.htm and try "Test". How can I circumvent this problem as fast as possible? O. Wyss Otto Wyss wrote: > SeaMonkey doesn't support Javascript function "contains", see > http://de.selfhtml.org/javascript/objekte/anzeige/all_contains.htm and > try "Test". How can I circumvent this problem as fast as possible? This appears to be an IE-specific property: http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/...

"To" and "From" missing

Using "+" or "||"

"Using" or "With"

SeaMonkey Bug 789724
So we are planning to change the en-US string from "Other Languages" to "Unicode". Normally we would change the entity name to force all locales to retranslate this string. However we notice that some locales are already using "Unicode" (or something equivalent) so this would create unnecessary churn for those translators. Alternately we could not change the entity name but send a heads up to this newsgroup and leave it up to the various translation teams to decide on whether they needed to change their translations or not. Opinions? Phil SeaMonkey...

Web resources about - SeaMonkey "outages" - mozilla.support.seamonkey