SeaMonkey not recognizing existing profiles

I have a server that had a problem with a share. I think I have fixed 
that but my users cannot access their existing SeaMonkey Profiles. They 
are located on a a SAMBA [homes] share on an Ubuntu 16.04 LTS server in 
a directory called ~/.seamonkey.

In the past I have been able to conned to theses existing profiles by 
logging into the Profile Manager and simply pointing to the existing 
SeaMonkey profile.

However when I do this on on this server now I get a SeaMonkey opening 
page and SeaMonkey does not recognize the existing email configuration.
0
Rob
10/11/2017 9:24:57 PM
mozilla.support.seamonkey 12622 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

20 Replies
58 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 12

On 10/11/2017 2:24 PM, Rob Steinmetz wrote:
> I have a server that had a problem with a share. I think I have fixed 
> that but my users cannot access their existing SeaMonkey Profiles. They 
> are located on a a SAMBA [homes] share on an Ubuntu 16.04 LTS server in 
> a directory called ~/.seamonkey.
> 
> In the past I have been able to conned to theses existing profiles by 
> logging into the Profile Manager and simply pointing to the existing 
> SeaMonkey profile.
> 
> However when I do this on on this server now I get a SeaMonkey opening 
> page and SeaMonkey does not recognize the existing email configuration.
> 

Locate the file named profiles.ini.  Each user needs to have a copy of
this file locally.  For Windows 7, it is always in
[C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\SeaMonkey], where "xxx" is the
user name of the Windows account.  SeaMonkey looks for this file LOCALLY
to determine what profiles exist and where the profiles are located.

The profile folders can be on a shared network file system.  However,
note the following:

*  Two or more users cannot use the same profile at the same time.  If
more than one user attempts to use the same profile simultaneously, the
profile is most likely to become corrupted.

*  For each user, there must be a local drive letter for the location of
the profiles.

For each user, open the profiles.ini file in a plain-text editor (e.g.,
Notepad, Wordpad, but definitely NOT Word).   There will be a list of
profiles identified as Profile0, Profile1, etc.  For each profile,
"Name" is the name a user sees in the Profile Manager.  With the
profiles on a shared network file system, IsRelative must be 0.  Path is
then the complete path -- using the local drive letter -- to the profile
folder, ending with the name of the folder.  The path is given in the
Windows format (e.g., G:\Mozilla profiles\SeaMonkey\guest).  Note that \
is used, not /, and that there are no quotation marks despite the
presence of spaces in the names of the path's folders.

Is this confusing?  I think so.  I would strongly recommend that users
should each have their own local profiles.  If this is an enterprise
system, you then need tools to synchronize certain parts of those
profiles; to avoid corrupting profiles, such tools would be used only
when each user's instance of SeaMonkey has been terminated.

-- 
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

By allowing employers to eliminate coverage for birth control
from their insurance plans, President Trump has guaranteed there
will be an increase in the demand for abortions.
0
David
10/11/2017 11:48:23 PM
On 12/10/2017 01:48, David E. Ross wrote:
> On 10/11/2017 2:24 PM, Rob Steinmetz wrote:
>> I have a server that had a problem with a share. I think I have fixed 
>> that but my users cannot access their existing SeaMonkey Profiles. They 
>> are located on a a SAMBA [homes] share on an Ubuntu 16.04 LTS server in 
>> a directory called ~/.seamonkey.
>>
>> In the past I have been able to conned to theses existing profiles by 
>> logging into the Profile Manager and simply pointing to the existing 
>> SeaMonkey profile.
>>
>> However when I do this on on this server now I get a SeaMonkey opening 
>> page and SeaMonkey does not recognize the existing email configuration.
>>
> 
> Locate the file named profiles.ini.  Each user needs to have a copy of
> this file locally.  For Windows 7, it is always in
> [C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\SeaMonkey], where "xxx" is the
> user name of the Windows account.  SeaMonkey looks for this file LOCALLY
> to determine what profiles exist and where the profiles are located.

David,

Ubuntu is a Linux distribution, i.e. not Windows.

Regards.
0
Mason83
10/12/2017 5:51:31 AM
Mason83 wrote:
> On 12/10/2017 01:48, David E. Ross wrote:
>> On 10/11/2017 2:24 PM, Rob Steinmetz wrote:
>>> I have a server that had a problem with a share. I think I have fixed
>>> that but my users cannot access their existing SeaMonkey Profiles. They
>>> are located on a a SAMBA [homes] share on an Ubuntu 16.04 LTS server in
>>> a directory called ~/.seamonkey.
>>>
>>> In the past I have been able to conned to theses existing profiles by
>>> logging into the Profile Manager and simply pointing to the existing
>>> SeaMonkey profile.
>>>
>>> However when I do this on on this server now I get a SeaMonkey opening
>>> page and SeaMonkey does not recognize the existing email configuration.
>>>
>>
>> Locate the file named profiles.ini.  Each user needs to have a copy of
>> this file locally.  For Windows 7, it is always in
>> [C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\SeaMonkey], where "xxx" is the
>> user name of the Windows account.  SeaMonkey looks for this file LOCALLY
>> to determine what profiles exist and where the profiles are located.
>
> David,
>
> Ubuntu is a Linux distribution, i.e. not Windows.
>
> Regards.
>
Thanks.

I war aware of this and as far as I can tell the profiles are intact and 
the profiles.ini seem correct. I forgot to mention that my users are on 
Windows, the server is Ubuntu running Samba.
0
Rob
10/12/2017 2:20:22 PM
Rob Steinmetz wrote:
> I have a server that had a problem with a share. I think I have fixed
> that but my users cannot access their existing SeaMonkey Profiles. They
> are located on a a SAMBA [homes] share on an Ubuntu 16.04 LTS server in
> a directory called ~/.seamonkey.
>
> In the past I have been able to conned to theses existing profiles by
> logging into the Profile Manager and simply pointing to the existing
> SeaMonkey profile.
>
> However when I do this on on this server now I get a SeaMonkey opening
> page and SeaMonkey does not recognize the existing email configuration.

Okay if profiles are on a server and not on local system, if I am 
understanding you correctly, then I need some more information.

Firstly, most likely on the client machines one issue is the profile.ini 
must be set to absolute paths:

IsRelative=0

Secondly, are you sure the path is '~/.seamonkey'? Mine, set as default 
is '~/.mozilla/seamonkey'.

Thirdly, what OS are the *clients* running?

If Windows, then with SAMBA setup with user shares then the profile path 
would be something like using your path specified, (ALL_CAPS replaceable 
values):

\\SERVER_NAME\USER_NAME\.seamonkey\SALT.default

or on Linux clients

smb://SERVER_NAME/USER_NAME/.seamonkey/SALT.default

or depending on your SAMBA security settings

smb://WORKGROUP;USER_NAME@SERVER_NAME/USER_NAME/.seamonkey/SALT.default

-- 
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
0
Jonathan
10/12/2017 4:49:04 PM
Jonathan N. Little wrote:
> Rob Steinmetz wrote:
>> I have a server that had a problem with a share. I think I have fixed
>> that but my users cannot access their existing SeaMonkey Profiles. They
>> are located on a a SAMBA [homes] share on an Ubuntu 16.04 LTS server in
>> a directory called ~/.seamonkey.
>>
>> In the past I have been able to conned to theses existing profiles by
>> logging into the Profile Manager and simply pointing to the existing
>> SeaMonkey profile.
>>
>> However when I do this on on this server now I get a SeaMonkey opening
>> page and SeaMonkey does not recognize the existing email configuration.
>
> Okay if profiles are on a server and not on local system, if I am
> understanding you correctly, then I need some more information.
>
> Firstly, most likely on the client machines one issue is the profile.ini
> must be set to absolute paths:
>
> IsRelative=0
>
The typical profile.ini from a working machine looks like this.

[General]
StartWithLastProfile=1

[Profile0]
Name=default
IsRelative=1
Path=Profiles/tcq542gy.default

[Profile1]
Name=rob
IsRelative=0
Path=U:\.seamonkey


> Secondly, are you sure the path is '~/.seamonkey'? Mine, set as default
> is '~/.mozilla/seamonkey'.
I'm very sure.
>
> Thirdly, what OS are the *clients* running?
Windows XP , 7 and 10
>
> If Windows, then with SAMBA setup with user shares then the profile path
> would be something like using your path specified, (ALL_CAPS replaceable
> values):
>
> \\SERVER_NAME\USER_NAME\.seamonkey\SALT.default
>
> or on Linux clients
>
> smb://SERVER_NAME/USER_NAME/.seamonkey/SALT.default
>
> or depending on your SAMBA security settings
>
> smb://WORKGROUP;USER_NAME@SERVER_NAME/USER_NAME/.seamonkey/SALT.default
>

0
Rob
10/12/2017 6:59:33 PM
On 10/12/17 2:59 PM, Rob Steinmetz wrote:
> Jonathan N. Little wrote:
>> Rob Steinmetz wrote:
>>> I have a server that had a problem with a share. I think I have fixed
>>> that but my users cannot access their existing SeaMonkey Profiles. They
>>> are located on a a SAMBA [homes] share on an Ubuntu 16.04 LTS server in
>>> a directory called ~/.seamonkey.
>>>
>>> In the past I have been able to conned to theses existing profiles by
>>> logging into the Profile Manager and simply pointing to the existing
>>> SeaMonkey profile.
>>>
>>> However when I do this on on this server now I get a SeaMonkey opening
>>> page and SeaMonkey does not recognize the existing email configuration.
>>
>> Okay if profiles are on a server and not on local system, if I am
>> understanding you correctly, then I need some more information.
>>
>> Firstly, most likely on the client machines one issue is the profile.ini
>> must be set to absolute paths:
>>
>> IsRelative=0
>>
> The typical profile.ini from a working machine looks like this.
> 
> [General]
> StartWithLastProfile=1
> 
> [Profile0]
> Name=default
> IsRelative=1
> Path=Profiles/tcq542gy.default
> 
> [Profile1]
> Name=rob
> IsRelative=0
> Path=U:\.seamonkey
> 

That appears to show that rob is using Profile1(with no name)from drive 
U: and launching SeaMonkey using the .seamonkey command.

Neither profile has Default=1 in the file.

That is confusing.

> 
>> Secondly, are you sure the path is '~/.seamonkey'? Mine, set as default
>> is '~/.mozilla/seamonkey'.
> I'm very sure.

The path to my SeaMonkey profile on Ubuntu also is 
/home/username/.mozilla/seamonkey.

If I right click on the seamonkey folder and view the Properties, there 
is a Local Network Share tab with a Share this folder setting that isn't 
enabled.

Maybe you need to check that?

-- 
Go Bills, Steelers, Pitt, Pens and Sabres!
Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>
National Popular Vote <http://www.nationalpopularvote.com/>
Ubuntu 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop
0
WaltS48
10/12/2017 7:23:25 PM
WaltS48 wrote:
> On 10/12/17 2:59 PM, Rob Steinmetz wrote:
>> Jonathan N. Little wrote:
>>> Rob Steinmetz wrote:
>>>> I have a server that had a problem with a share. I think I have fixed
>>>> that but my users cannot access their existing SeaMonkey Profiles. They
>>>> are located on a a SAMBA [homes] share on an Ubuntu 16.04 LTS server in
>>>> a directory called ~/.seamonkey.
>>>>
>>>> In the past I have been able to conned to theses existing profiles by
>>>> logging into the Profile Manager and simply pointing to the existing
>>>> SeaMonkey profile.
>>>>
>>>> However when I do this on on this server now I get a SeaMonkey opening
>>>> page and SeaMonkey does not recognize the existing email configuration.
>>>
>>> Okay if profiles are on a server and not on local system, if I am
>>> understanding you correctly, then I need some more information.
>>>
>>> Firstly, most likely on the client machines one issue is the profile.ini
>>> must be set to absolute paths:
>>>
>>> IsRelative=0
>>>
>> The typical profile.ini from a working machine looks like this.
>>
>> [General]
>> StartWithLastProfile=1
>>
>> [Profile0]
>> Name=default
>> IsRelative=1
>> Path=Profiles/tcq542gy.default
>>
>> [Profile1]
>> Name=rob
>> IsRelative=0
>> Path=U:\.seamonkey
>>
>
> That appears to show that rob is using Profile1(with no name)from drive
> U: and launching SeaMonkey using the .seamonkey command.
>
> Neither profile has Default=1 in the file.
>
> That is confusing.
I diidn't past the entire file.
>
>>
>>> Secondly, are you sure the path is '~/.seamonkey'? Mine, set as default
>>> is '~/.mozilla/seamonkey'.
>> I'm very sure.
>
> The path to my SeaMonkey profile on Ubuntu also is
> /home/username/.mozilla/seamonkey.
>
> If I right click on the seamonkey folder and view the Properties, there
> is a Local Network Share tab with a Share this folder setting that isn't
> enabled.
>
> Maybe you need to check that?
>
The share is enable and I can access it.

0
Rob
10/12/2017 8:02:13 PM
Solved!

Somehow the prefs.js file was overwritten with a default file that wiped 
out all previous settings and made the new instance appear to be a fresh 
profile.

I was able to copy the prefs.js from a backup and the profiles started 
working.

I'm mystified as to how the prefs.js files were overwritten.

Thanks to everyone who helped.

0
Rob
10/12/2017 8:05:26 PM
Rob Steinmetz wrote:
> Jonathan N. Little wrote:
>> Rob Steinmetz wrote:
>>> I have a server that had a problem with a share. I think I have fixed
>>> that but my users cannot access their existing SeaMonkey Profiles. They
>>> are located on a a SAMBA [homes] share on an Ubuntu 16.04 LTS server in
>>> a directory called ~/.seamonkey.
>>>
>>> In the past I have been able to conned to theses existing profiles by
>>> logging into the Profile Manager and simply pointing to the existing
>>> SeaMonkey profile.
>>>
>>> However when I do this on on this server now I get a SeaMonkey opening
>>> page and SeaMonkey does not recognize the existing email configuration.
>>
>> Okay if profiles are on a server and not on local system, if I am
>> understanding you correctly, then I need some more information.
>>
>> Firstly, most likely on the client machines one issue is the profile.ini
>> must be set to absolute paths:
>>
>> IsRelative=0
>>
> The typical profile.ini from a working machine looks like this.
>
> [General]
> StartWithLastProfile=1
>
> [Profile0]
> Name=default
> IsRelative=1
> Path=Profiles/tcq542gy.default
>
> [Profile1]
> Name=rob
> IsRelative=0
> Path=U:\.seamonkey
>

Oh okay you're Windows drive mapping to the SAMBA share. Next questions:

Is the SeaMonkey profile a subdirectory under ~/.seamonkey or that 
directory itself? Because profiles are usually a subdirectory named 
SALT.default where SALT is 8 random characters and numbers.

If so than maybe you need to edit ini:
Path=U:\.seamonkey\SALT.default

Is Profile0 used or just leftover from the initial install?

If just leftover, maybe you are loading the wrong profile:

seamonkey --ProfileManager

You might want to remove [Profile0] all together in the ini and rename 
[Profile1] to [Profile0] and avoid loading the wrong profile.

-- 
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
0
Jonathan
10/12/2017 8:52:56 PM
WaltS48 wrote:
> On 10/12/17 2:59 PM, Rob Steinmetz wrote:
>> Jonathan N. Little wrote:
>>> Rob Steinmetz wrote:

>>
>
> That appears to show that rob is using Profile1(with no name)from drive
> U: and launching SeaMonkey using the .seamonkey command.
>

No .seamonkey is not the command but a Linux hidden directory

> Neither profile has Default=1 in the file.
>
> That is confusing.

I've never had a Default= setting in any of my profile.ini files


>
>>
>>> Secondly, are you sure the path is '~/.seamonkey'? Mine, set as default
>>> is '~/.mozilla/seamonkey'.
>> I'm very sure.
>

I have similar except ~/.mozilla/seamonkey is not the profile directory 
but the directory *containing* the profile.ini *and* the actual profile 
directory SALT.default.

> The path to my SeaMonkey profile on Ubuntu also is
> /home/username/.mozilla/seamonkey.
>
> If I right click on the seamonkey folder and view the Properties, there
> is a Local Network Share tab with a Share this folder setting that isn't
> enabled.
>
> Maybe you need to check that?
>


-- 
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
0
Jonathan
10/12/2017 9:01:11 PM
Rob Steinmetz wrote:
> Solved!
>
> Somehow the prefs.js file was overwritten with a default file that wiped
> out all previous settings and made the new instance appear to be a fresh
> profile.
>
> I was able to copy the prefs.js from a backup and the profiles started
> working.
>
> I'm mystified as to how the prefs.js files were overwritten.
>
> Thanks to everyone who helped.
>

Ah, yes prefs.js has all your mailbox defined.

-- 
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
0
Jonathan
10/12/2017 9:02:38 PM
On 10/12/17 5:01 PM, Jonathan N. Little wrote:
> WaltS48 wrote:
>> On 10/12/17 2:59 PM, Rob Steinmetz wrote:
>>> Jonathan N. Little wrote:
>>>> Rob Steinmetz wrote:
> 
>>>
>>
>> That appears to show that rob is using Profile1(with no name)from drive
>> U: and launching SeaMonkey using the .seamonkey command.
>>
> 
> No .seamonkey is not the command but a Linux hidden directory

Well the user can specify a Folder for the profile. I've never tried 
creating a hidden one on my Ubuntu.

> 
>> Neither profile has Default=1 in the file.
>>
>> That is confusing.
> 
> I've never had a Default= setting in any of my profile.ini files

Okay.

-- 
Go Bills, Steelers, Pitt, Pens and Sabres!
Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>
National Popular Vote <http://www.nationalpopularvote.com/>
Ubuntu 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop
0
WaltS48
10/12/2017 9:53:01 PM
Jonathan N. Little wrote:
> Rob Steinmetz wrote:
>> Jonathan N. Little wrote:
>>> Rob Steinmetz wrote:
>>>> I have a server that had a problem with a share. I think I have fixed
>>>> that but my users cannot access their existing SeaMonkey Profiles. They
>>>> are located on a a SAMBA [homes] share on an Ubuntu 16.04 LTS server in
>>>> a directory called ~/.seamonkey.
>>>>
>>>> In the past I have been able to conned to theses existing profiles by
>>>> logging into the Profile Manager and simply pointing to the existing
>>>> SeaMonkey profile.
>>>>
>>>> However when I do this on on this server now I get a SeaMonkey opening
>>>> page and SeaMonkey does not recognize the existing email configuration.
>>>
>>> Okay if profiles are on a server and not on local system, if I am
>>> understanding you correctly, then I need some more information.
>>>
>>> Firstly, most likely on the client machines one issue is the profile.ini
>>> must be set to absolute paths:
>>>
>>> IsRelative=0
>>>
>> The typical profile.ini from a working machine looks like this.
>>
>> [General]
>> StartWithLastProfile=1
>>
>> [Profile0]
>> Name=default
>> IsRelative=1
>> Path=Profiles/tcq542gy.default
>>
>> [Profile1]
>> Name=rob
>> IsRelative=0
>> Path=U:\.seamonkey
>>
>
> Oh okay you're Windows drive mapping to the SAMBA share. Next questions:
>
> Is the SeaMonkey profile a subdirectory under ~/.seamonkey or that
> directory itself? Because profiles are usually a subdirectory named
> SALT.default where SALT is 8 random characters and numbers.
>
If you connect a new profile to an existing profile the directory is 
whatever you point it to. The SALT is created somewhat inconsistently. I 
have some that aren't in the current format because SeaMonkey used to do 
it differently.
> If so than maybe you need to edit ini:
> Path=U:\.seamonkey\SALT.default
The profile is directly in the .seamonkey directory. Some profiles do 
have the SALT - some only have the SALT - some have the Profiles 
sub-directry some don't.
>
> Is Profile0 used or just leftover from the initial install?
Profile0 seems to be created during a new install. It normally points to 
a folder on the local machine.
>
> If just leftover, maybe you are loading the wrong profile:
>
> seamonkey --ProfileManager
>
> You might want to remove [Profile0] all together in the ini and rename
> [Profile1] to [Profile0] and avoid loading the wrong profile.

We normally don't have a problem with that since most users don't know 
about Profile Manager.


0
Rob
10/12/2017 10:23:13 PM
On 10/12/2017 1:05 PM, Rob Steinmetz wrote:
> Solved!
> 
> Somehow the prefs.js file was overwritten with a default file that wiped 
> out all previous settings and made the new instance appear to be a fresh 
> profile.
> 
> I was able to copy the prefs.js from a backup and the profiles started 
> working.
> 
> I'm mystified as to how the prefs.js files were overwritten.
> 
> Thanks to everyone who helped.
> 

The prefs.js files can be overwritten if two users at attempting to use
the same profile at the same time.  It can also happen if a new user is
added to the system with a new installation of SeaMonkey and that user
is told to use that profile.

I again strongly suggest that all users should have their profiles
locally on their own computer.

-- 
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

By allowing employers to eliminate coverage for birth control
from their insurance plans, President Trump has guaranteed there
will be an increase in the demand for abortions.
0
David
10/12/2017 11:28:45 PM
WaltS48 wrote:
> On 10/12/17 5:01 PM, Jonathan N. Little wrote:
>> WaltS48 wrote:
>>> On 10/12/17 2:59 PM, Rob Steinmetz wrote:
>>>> Jonathan N. Little wrote:
>>>>> Rob Steinmetz wrote:
>>
>>>>
>>>
>>> That appears to show that rob is using Profile1(with no name)from drive
>>> U: and launching SeaMonkey using the .seamonkey command.
>>>
>>
>> No .seamonkey is not the command but a Linux hidden directory
>
> Well the user can specify a Folder for the profile. I've never tried
> creating a hidden one on my Ubuntu.
>

I was just referencing where the default installed location was, and for 
non-Linux users that the prefix dot makes it a hidden file or folder in 
Linux.


-- 
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
0
Jonathan
10/12/2017 11:41:54 PM
Rob Steinmetz wrote:
> Jonathan N. Little wrote:
>> Rob Steinmetz wrote:
>>> Jonathan N. Little wrote:
>>>> Rob Steinmetz wrote:
>>>>> I have a server that had a problem with a share. I think I have fixed
>>>>> that but my users cannot access their existing SeaMonkey Profiles.
>>>>> They
>>>>> are located on a a SAMBA [homes] share on an Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
>>>>> server in
>>>>> a directory called ~/.seamonkey.
>>>>>
>>>>> In the past I have been able to conned to theses existing profiles by
>>>>> logging into the Profile Manager and simply pointing to the existing
>>>>> SeaMonkey profile.
>>>>>
>>>>> However when I do this on on this server now I get a SeaMonkey opening
>>>>> page and SeaMonkey does not recognize the existing email
>>>>> configuration.
>>>>
>>>> Okay if profiles are on a server and not on local system, if I am
>>>> understanding you correctly, then I need some more information.
>>>>
>>>> Firstly, most likely on the client machines one issue is the
>>>> profile.ini
>>>> must be set to absolute paths:
>>>>
>>>> IsRelative=0
>>>>
>>> The typical profile.ini from a working machine looks like this.
>>>
>>> [General]
>>> StartWithLastProfile=1
>>>
>>> [Profile0]
>>> Name=default
>>> IsRelative=1
>>> Path=Profiles/tcq542gy.default
>>>
>>> [Profile1]
>>> Name=rob
>>> IsRelative=0
>>> Path=U:\.seamonkey
>>>
>>
>> Oh okay you're Windows drive mapping to the SAMBA share. Next questions:
>>
>> Is the SeaMonkey profile a subdirectory under ~/.seamonkey or that
>> directory itself? Because profiles are usually a subdirectory named
>> SALT.default where SALT is 8 random characters and numbers.
>>
> If you connect a new profile to an existing profile the directory is
> whatever you point it to. The SALT is created somewhat inconsistently. I
> have some that aren't in the current format because SeaMonkey used to do
> it differently.

Nope. I've migrated this profile since Netscape Communicator. I cannot 
remember when the SALT in the profile started whether it was when 
Communicator upgraded from 4.7 to 5 or 6, or when converted to Mozilla 
1.0 browser. IIRC SeaMonkey always defaulted using SALT.

You don't have to worry about the SALT, all you have to do is make sure 
the profile matches what you have in the profile.ini. You can either 
edit the ini file or change the profile directory name.


>> If so than maybe you need to edit ini:
>> Path=U:\.seamonkey\SALT.default
> The profile is directly in the .seamonkey directory. Some profiles do
> have the SALT - some only have the SALT - some have the Profiles
> sub-directry some don't.
>>
>> Is Profile0 used or just leftover from the initial install?
> Profile0 seems to be created during a new install. It normally points to
> a folder on the local machine.
>>
>> If just leftover, maybe you are loading the wrong profile:
>>
>> seamonkey --ProfileManager
>>
>> You might want to remove [Profile0] all together in the ini and rename
>> [Profile1] to [Profile0] and avoid loading the wrong profile.
>
> We normally don't have a problem with that since most users don't know
> about Profile Manager.
>
>

That is why you had the problem. User launched to the wrong profile.

-- 
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
0
Jonathan
10/13/2017 2:19:09 AM
On 13/10/2017 1:19 PM, Jonathan N. Little wrote:
> Rob Steinmetz wrote:
>> Jonathan N. Little wrote:

<Snip>

>>> Oh okay you're Windows drive mapping to the SAMBA share. Next questions:
>>>
>>> Is the SeaMonkey profile a subdirectory under ~/.seamonkey or that
>>> directory itself? Because profiles are usually a subdirectory named
>>> SALT.default where SALT is 8 random characters and numbers.
>>>
>> If you connect a new profile to an existing profile the directory is
>> whatever you point it to. The SALT is created somewhat inconsistently. I
>> have some that aren't in the current format because SeaMonkey used to do
>> it differently.
>
> Nope. I've migrated this profile since Netscape Communicator. I cannot
> remember when the SALT in the profile started whether it was when
> Communicator upgraded from 4.7 to 5 or 6, or when converted to Mozilla
> 1.0 browser. IIRC SeaMonkey always defaulted using SALT.

"SeaMonkey always defaulted using SALT" ... as long as you did a 
standard installation!! If you went Custom Install (as I do), the SALT 
is optional.

-- 
Daniel

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:51.0) Gecko/20100101 
SeaMonkey/2.48 Build identifier: 20170329183526

Go Dallas Cowgirls!! .... Err!! ... Um!! .. I mean *Go Dallas Cowboys* !!
0
Daniel
10/14/2017 4:49:00 AM
Daniel wrote:
> On 13/10/2017 1:19 PM, Jonathan N. Little wrote:
>> Rob Steinmetz wrote:
>>> Jonathan N. Little wrote:
>
> <Snip>
>
>>>> Oh okay you're Windows drive mapping to the SAMBA share. Next
>>>> questions:
>>>>
>>>> Is the SeaMonkey profile a subdirectory under ~/.seamonkey or that
>>>> directory itself? Because profiles are usually a subdirectory named
>>>> SALT.default where SALT is 8 random characters and numbers.
>>>>
>>> If you connect a new profile to an existing profile the directory is
>>> whatever you point it to. The SALT is created somewhat inconsistently. I
>>> have some that aren't in the current format because SeaMonkey used to do
>>> it differently.
>>
>> Nope. I've migrated this profile since Netscape Communicator. I cannot
>> remember when the SALT in the profile started whether it was when
>> Communicator upgraded from 4.7 to 5 or 6, or when converted to Mozilla
>> 1.0 browser. IIRC SeaMonkey always defaulted using SALT.
>
> "SeaMonkey always defaulted using SALT" ... as long as you did a
> standard installation!! If you went Custom Install (as I do), the SALT
> is optional.
>

I always use Custom Install option in installers. Just checked in a VM 
with a pristine install just in case any legacy settings would effect 
the install. Setup gives you the option for the location of the 
*application* but not the location of the initial user profile. It will 
use the salt with that initial profile.

Now you have the option later to launch SeaMonkey profile manager to 
create a new profile with a custom location and directory name, but you 
cannot do that with the initial setup, Standard or Custom.

-- 
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
0
Jonathan
10/14/2017 2:34:41 PM
On 15/10/2017 1:34 AM, Jonathan N. Little wrote:
> Daniel wrote:
>> On 13/10/2017 1:19 PM, Jonathan N. Little wrote:
>>> Rob Steinmetz wrote:
>>>> Jonathan N. Little wrote:
>>
>> <Snip>
>>
>>>>> Oh okay you're Windows drive mapping to the SAMBA share. Next
>>>>> questions:
>>>>>
>>>>> Is the SeaMonkey profile a subdirectory under ~/.seamonkey or that
>>>>> directory itself? Because profiles are usually a subdirectory named
>>>>> SALT.default where SALT is 8 random characters and numbers.
>>>>>
>>>> If you connect a new profile to an existing profile the directory is
>>>> whatever you point it to. The SALT is created somewhat
>>>> inconsistently. I
>>>> have some that aren't in the current format because SeaMonkey used
>>>> to do
>>>> it differently.
>>>
>>> Nope. I've migrated this profile since Netscape Communicator. I cannot
>>> remember when the SALT in the profile started whether it was when
>>> Communicator upgraded from 4.7 to 5 or 6, or when converted to Mozilla
>>> 1.0 browser. IIRC SeaMonkey always defaulted using SALT.
>>
>> "SeaMonkey always defaulted using SALT" ... as long as you did a
>> standard installation!! If you went Custom Install (as I do), the SALT
>> is optional.
>>
>
> I always use Custom Install option in installers. Just checked in a VM
> with a pristine install just in case any legacy settings would effect
> the install. Setup gives you the option for the location of the
> *application* but not the location of the initial user profile. It will
> use the salt with that initial profile.
>
> Now you have the option later to launch SeaMonkey profile manager to
> create a new profile with a custom location and directory name, but you
> cannot do that with the initial setup, Standard or Custom.
>
You're stretching the old grey matter, Jonathan, but I think, as I only 
start Mail & News and Chatzilla (not the Browser) when I click on the SM 
icon, when I do a new install, and I then click on the icon, I then have 
to set-up my Mail & News accounts ... or point SM to my profile location!!

-- 
Daniel

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:51.0) Gecko/20100101 
SeaMonkey/2.48 Build identifier: 20170329183526

Go Dallas Cowgirls!! .... Err!! ... Um!! .. I mean *Go Dallas Cowboys* !!
0
Daniel
10/15/2017 8:36:38 AM
Daniel wrote:
> You're stretching the old grey matter, Jonathan, but I think, as I only
> start Mail & News and Chatzilla (not the Browser) when I click on the SM
> icon, when I do a new install, and I then click on the icon, I then have
> to set-up my Mail & News accounts ... or point SM to my profile location!!

Sorry but no I am not stretching anything. When you install the 
application SeaMonkey the installer does not give you any option as to 
where to setup the default location of the pristine user profile. The 
profile directory will be named SALT.default.Setup does have a /ini 
switch to specific a custom path to an *existing* profile.ini.

-- 
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
0
Jonathan
10/15/2017 3:33:31 PM
Reply: