Seamonkey emulating Mozilla suite in "browser" field

I got a message from Yahoo Messenger that avatars are not supported
with my browser (Seamonkey 1.0.1), only blah blah including Firefox
and Mozilla Suite 1.7.6 or higher are supported.

Now I recall that it is possible to send out info that my browser is
Mozilla Suite or Firefox.  What is the exact procedure to do that,
please somebody tell me.

--Ken Rudolph
0
Ken
4/20/2006 2:17:48 AM
mozilla.support.seamonkey 13530 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Ken Rudolph wrote:

> I got a message from Yahoo Messenger that avatars are not supported
> with my browser (Seamonkey 1.0.1), only blah blah including Firefox
> and Mozilla Suite 1.7.6 or higher are supported.
>
> Now I recall that it is possible to send out info that my browser is
> Mozilla Suite or Firefox.  What is the exact procedure to do that,
> please somebody tell me.
>

> --Ken Rudolph
First, report the BROKEN site to:
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/tech-evangelism/

Otherwise, you need the User Agent Switcher:
http://chrispederick.com/work/useragentswitcher/

--
Want to download the entire internet? Well believe it or not, you can
and you can do it from here: http://www.w3schools.com/downloadwww.htm.
gwtc wrote:
> Ken Rudolph wrote:
>
>> I got a message from Yahoo Messenger that avatars are not supported
>> with my browser (Seamonkey 1.0.1), only blah blah including Firefox
>> and Mozilla Suite 1.7.6 or higher are supported.
>>
>> Now I recall that it is possible to send out info that my browser is
>> Mozilla Suite or Firefox.  What is the exact procedure to do that,
>> please somebody tell me.
>>

>> --Ken Rudolph
> First, report the BROKEN site to:
> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/tech-evangelism/

I tried this link; but I couldn't navigate to a simple place to
report the site.  Anyway, the site in question is:
http://avatars.yahoo.com/error_browser.html

> Otherwise, you need the User Agent Switcher:
> http://chrispederick.com/work/useragentswitcher/

I ran this program; now I'll watch to see if it works.  Thanks for
the info.

--Ken Rudolph

0
Ken
4/20/2006 2:34:14 AM
Ken Rudolph wrote:
> gwtc wrote:
>> Ken Rudolph wrote:
>>
>>> I got a message from Yahoo Messenger that avatars are not supported
>>> with my browser (Seamonkey 1.0.1), only blah blah including Firefox
>>> and Mozilla Suite 1.7.6 or higher are supported.
>>>
>>> Now I recall that it is possible to send out info that my browser is
>>> Mozilla Suite or Firefox.  What is the exact procedure to do that,
>>> please somebody tell me.
>>>

>>> --Ken Rudolph
>> First, report the BROKEN site to:
>> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/tech-evangelism/
>
> I tried this link; but I couldn't navigate to a simple place to report
> the site.  Anyway, the site in question is:
> http://avatars.yahoo.com/error_browser.html
>>
>> Otherwise, you need the User Agent Switcher:
>> http://chrispederick.com/work/useragentswitcher/
>
> I ran this program; now I'll watch to see if it works.  Thanks for the
> info.
>
> --Ken Rudolph

You don't just "run the program."  You install it and then you have a
new item on the Tools menu.  You need to select a User Agent from the menu.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Well, I set it to emulate IE 6.0 and tested it at alt.test...sure
enough the browser field changed.  But Yahoo Messenger still sends
me to the same "unsupported browser" page when I click on  "Share my
Yahoo! Avatar", even though they're supposed to support IE 5.5 and
above.  The other choices in User Agent Switcher, Netscape 4.8 or
Opera are both also supposedly unsupported browsers.

Anyway, thank you for your help!  At lease I managed to effectuate
the change, even if it didn't make a difference.

--Ken Rudolph
0
Ken
4/20/2006 3:16:47 AM
Ken Rudolph wrote:
> Ed Mullen wrote:
>> Ken Rudolph wrote:

>>> I tried this link; but I couldn't navigate to a simple place to
>>> report the site.  Anyway, the site in question is:
>>> http://avatars.yahoo.com/error_browser.html

>>> I ran this program; now I'll watch to see if it works.  Thanks for
>>> the info.
>>>
>>> --Ken Rudolph
>>> http://avatars.yahoo.com/error_browser.html
>>
>> You don't just "run the program."  You install it and then you have a
>> new item on the Tools menu.  You need to select a User Agent from the
>> menu.
>>
> Well, I set it to emulate IE 6.0 and tested it at alt.test...sure enough
> the browser field changed.  But Yahoo Messenger still sends me to the
> same "unsupported browser" page when I click on  "Share my Yahoo!
> Avatar", even though they're supposed to support IE 5.5 and above.  The
> other choices in User Agent Switcher, Netscape 4.8 or Opera are both
> also supposedly unsupported browsers.
>
> Anyway, thank you for your help!  At lease I managed to effectuate the
> change, even if it didn't make a difference.

oops, it reverted to default for some reason when I sent the
Yahoo site still wouldn't work; but I'm resending this here to see
if the browser field actually changed now.  Is it possible that the
User Agent resets to default every time Seamonkey reopens?

> --Ken Rudolph
0
Ken
4/20/2006 3:21:14 AM
Ken Rudolph wrote:
> Ken Rudolph wrote:
>
>>Ed Mullen wrote:

>>>You don't just "run the program."  You install it and then you have a
>>>new item on the Tools menu.  You need to select a User Agent from the
>>>menu.
>>>

>>Well, I set it to emulate IE 6.0 and tested it at alt.test...sure enough
>>the browser field changed.  But Yahoo Messenger still sends me to the
>>same "unsupported browser" page when I click on  "Share my Yahoo!
>>Avatar", even though they're supposed to support IE 5.5 and above.  The
>>other choices in User Agent Switcher, Netscape 4.8 or Opera are both
>>also supposedly unsupported browsers.
>>
>>Anyway, thank you for your help!  At lease I managed to effectuate the
>>change, even if it didn't make a difference.
>

> oops, it reverted to default for some reason when I sent the
> Yahoo site still wouldn't work; but I'm resending this here to see
> if the browser field actually changed now.  Is it possible that the
> User Agent resets to default every time Seamonkey reopens?
>
>>--Ken Rudolph

I don't know exactly what you're problem is.  I tried it and its
working just fine for me.  Try changing the UA to:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050728

Also, do you have a HOSTS file?  That seems to be blocking stuff on it.

As for "reverted to default" -- that is the way the UA Switcher works.
  When you close the browser, it reverts back to the default.
Previously, this didn't happen, and when people restarted their
browsers, all sorts of strange things happened.  Or when they rebooted
windows, then all sorts of error messages popped up.  This drove lots
of the Champs and other helpers crazy, trying to find out what was the
problem and why they were getting these strange messages.  Then we
learned it was the change in the UA. Now, its been designed so when
you close the browser, things revert back to normal.

--
Want to download the entire internet? Well believe it or not, you can
and you can do it from here: http://www.w3schools.com/downloadwww.htm.
  Just make sure you have enough disk space.
0
gwtc
4/20/2006 3:37:35 AM
Ken Rudolph wrote:
> gwtc wrote:
>> Ken Rudolph wrote:
>>
>>> I got a message from Yahoo Messenger that avatars are not supported
>>> with my browser (Seamonkey 1.0.1), only blah blah including Firefox
>>> and Mozilla Suite 1.7.6 or higher are supported.
>>>
>>> Now I recall that it is possible to send out info that my browser is
>>> Mozilla Suite or Firefox.  What is the exact procedure to do that,
>>> please somebody tell me.
>>>

>>> --Ken Rudolph
>> First, report the BROKEN site to:
>> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/tech-evangelism/
>
> I tried this link; but I couldn't navigate to a simple place to report
> the site.  Anyway, the site in question is:
> http://avatars.yahoo.com/error_browser.html

	[snipped]

I believe that page is where non-recognition is reported.  Note the part
"error_browser.html".

What URL were you prior to that page?

--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Concerned about someone (e.g., Pres. Bush) snooping
into your E-mail?  Use PGP.
See my <http://www.rossde.com/PGP/>
0
David
4/20/2006 4:45:45 AM
Ken Rudolph wrote
> Now I recall that it is possible to send out info that my browser is
> Mozilla Suite or Firefox.  What is the exact procedure to do that,
> please somebody tell me.

You may use PrefBar to do this and many more things

http://prefbar.mozdev.org

Manue

0
Manuel
4/20/2006 5:19:20 AM
David E. Ross wrote:
> Ken Rudolph wrote:
>> gwtc wrote:

>>> First, report the BROKEN site to:
>>> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/tech-evangelism/
>>
>> I tried this link; but I couldn't navigate to a simple place to report
>> the site.  Anyway, the site in question is:
>> http://avatars.yahoo.com/error_browser.html
>
>     [snipped]
>
> I believe that page is where non-recognition is reported.  Note the part
> "error_browser.html".
>
> What URL were you prior to that page?

Seamonkey is set as my default browser.  So even when Seamonkey is
closed and I use the Yahoo! Messenger program window, when I click
on  "Share my Yahoo! Avatar" it opens Seamonkey and displays the
above page.  Why YM should care what browser I use is an interesting
question.  Actually, I don't even know what a "Yahoo! Avatar" is, I
was just clicking on this out of curiosity.  But the fact remains
that no matter what I do I get thrust into error_browser hell.

--Ken Rudolph

0
Ken
4/20/2006 8:09:53 AM
Ken Rudolph wrote:
> Ken Rudolph wrote:
>> Ed Mullen wrote:

>>> You don't just "run the program."  You install it and then you have a
>>> new item on the Tools menu.  You need to select a User Agent from the
>>> menu.
>>>
>> Well, I set it to emulate IE 6.0 and tested it at alt.test...sure
>> enough the browser field changed.  But Yahoo Messenger still sends me
>> to the same "unsupported browser" page when I click on  "Share my
>> Yahoo! Avatar", even though they're supposed to support IE 5.5 and
>> above.  The other choices in User Agent Switcher, Netscape 4.8 or
>> Opera are both also supposedly unsupported browsers.
>>
>> Anyway, thank you for your help!  At lease I managed to effectuate the
>> change, even if it didn't make a difference.
>
> oops, it reverted to default for some reason when I sent the previous
> message.  I set the User Agent  again to IE 6.0 and the Yahoo site still
> wouldn't work; but I'm resending this here to see if the browser field
> actually changed now.  Is it possible that the User Agent resets to
> default every time Seamonkey reopens?
>>
>> --Ken Rudolph

Yes, that is the correct behaviour to avoid problems when you next open SM.

--
Brian | REMOVE NOSPAM To E-Mail me

.. http://www.mozilla.org | http://ilias.ca/mozilla/ | http://ilias.ca/

.. No keyboard found. Press F1 to continue.

.. Internet "Help" Desk: http://www.deadtroll.com/video/helldeskcable.html
0
Brian
4/20/2006 11:46:42 AM
Ken Rudolph wrote:
> David E. Ross wrote:
>> Ken Rudolph wrote:

>>> I tried this link; but I couldn't navigate to a simple place to
>>> report the site.  Anyway, the site in question is:
>>> http://avatars.yahoo.com/error_browser.html
>>
>>     [snipped]
>>
>> I believe that page is where non-recognition is reported.  Note the
>> part "error_browser.html".
>>
>> What URL were you prior to that page?
>
> Seamonkey is set as my default browser.  So even when Seamonkey is
> closed and I use the Yahoo! Messenger program window, when I click on
> "Share my Yahoo! Avatar" it opens Seamonkey and displays the above
> page.  Why YM should care what browser I use is an interesting
> question.  Actually, I don't even know what a "Yahoo! Avatar" is, I was
> just clicking on this out of curiosity.  But the fact remains that no
> matter what I do I get thrust into error_browser hell.
>
> --Ken Rudolph

Very strange. I had no problems on the site with SM 1.0.1. I was able to
create an avatar and navigate around the site without ever seeing that
error page.

--
Brian | REMOVE NOSPAM To E-Mail me

.. http://www.mozilla.org | http://ilias.ca/mozilla/ | http://ilias.ca/

.. No keyboard found. Press F1 to continue.

.. Internet "Help" Desk: http://www.deadtroll.com/video/helldeskcable.html
0
Brian
4/20/2006 11:47:43 AM
On 04/20/06 04:47, Brian J. Graham wrote:
> Ken Rudolph wrote:
>> David E. Ross wrote:

>>>     [snipped]
>>>
>>> I believe that page is where non-recognition is reported.  Note the
>>> part "error_browser.html".
>>>
>>> What URL were you prior to that page?
>>
>> Seamonkey is set as my default browser.  So even when Seamonkey is
>> closed and I use the Yahoo! Messenger program window, when I click on
>> "Share my Yahoo! Avatar" it opens Seamonkey and displays the above
>> page.  Why YM should care what browser I use is an interesting
>> question.  Actually, I don't even know what a "Yahoo! Avatar" is, I was
>> just clicking on this out of curiosity.  But the fact remains that no
>> matter what I do I get thrust into error_browser hell.
>>
>> --Ken Rudolph
>>

> Very strange. I had no problems on the site with SM 1.0.1. I was able to
> create an avatar and navigate around the site without ever seeing that
> error page.

It is because Ken is using some other mechanism to get to the site. This
other mechanism opens a browser session and attempts to go to the Avitar
site. Of course, this doesn't give Ken a chance to change the User Agent
for that session.

Ken: Open a browser window, change the user agent, then go to:

  <http://avatars.yahoo.com>

Do you still get the error?
0
Mark
4/20/2006 3:09:48 PM
Mark Hansen wrote:
> On 04/20/06 04:47, Brian J. Graham wrote:
>> Ken Rudolph wrote:

>>> Seamonkey is set as my default browser.  So even when Seamonkey is
>>> closed and I use the Yahoo! Messenger program window, when I click on
>>> "Share my Yahoo! Avatar" it opens Seamonkey and displays the above
>>> page.  Why YM should care what browser I use is an interesting
>>> question.  Actually, I don't even know what a "Yahoo! Avatar" is, I was
>>> just clicking on this out of curiosity.  But the fact remains that no
>>> matter what I do I get thrust into error_browser hell.
>>>
>>> --Ken Rudolph
>>>
>> Very strange. I had no problems on the site with SM 1.0.1. I was able to
>> create an avatar and navigate around the site without ever seeing that
>> error page.
>>

> It is because Ken is using some other mechanism to get to the site. This
> other mechanism opens a browser session and attempts to go to the Avitar
> site. Of course, this doesn't give Ken a chance to change the User Agent
> for that session.
>
> Ken: Open a browser window, change the user agent, then go to:
>
>   <http://avatars.yahoo.com>
>
> Do you still get the error?

Sorry, but yes...with the browser set the way user agent does by
default Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1), I'm
still getting the same error when I click on this link, right out of
Seamonkey.  And yes, I was using the YM "browser" by itself when I
got the error box before.

I know I should be able to change the user agent to anything; but
I'm just not savvy enough to figure out how to do that.  Anyway, I
tried clicking on the above link using another computer with
Seamonkey 1.0.1...one that I hadn't installed the user agent program
on.  I get the same error message from the above link.

It does seem to me that it is Yahoo! that has it wrong.  They accept
Mozilla Suite 1.7.6 or higher and Firefox 1.0.3 or higher with no
problem.  But Seamonkey throws them by their own words...even if
others don't seem to have the same problem.  Why I'm  apparently
alone with this problem is a mystery.  But at this point I'm
thinking  Yahoo! avatars can stuff themselves for all I care.

--Ken Rudolph
0
Ken
4/20/2006 4:38:49 PM
On 04/20/06 09:38, Ken Rudolph wrote:
> Mark Hansen wrote:

>>> Very strange. I had no problems on the site with SM 1.0.1. I was able to
>>> create an avatar and navigate around the site without ever seeing that
>>> error page.
>>>

>> It is because Ken is using some other mechanism to get to the site. This
>> other mechanism opens a browser session and attempts to go to the Avitar
>> site. Of course, this doesn't give Ken a chance to change the User Agent
>> for that session.
>>
>> Ken: Open a browser window, change the user agent, then go to:
>>
>>   <http://avatars.yahoo.com>
>>
>> Do you still get the error?
>
> Sorry, but yes...with the browser set the way user agent does by
> default Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1), I'm
> still getting the same error when I click on this link, right out of
> Seamonkey.  And yes, I was using the YM "browser" by itself when I
> got the error box before.
>
> I know I should be able to change the user agent to anything; but
> I'm just not savvy enough to figure out how to do that.  Anyway, I
> tried clicking on the above link using another computer with
> Seamonkey 1.0.1...one that I hadn't installed the user agent program
> on.  I get the same error message from the above link.
>
> It does seem to me that it is Yahoo! that has it wrong.  They accept
> Mozilla Suite 1.7.6 or higher and Firefox 1.0.3 or higher with no
> problem.  But Seamonkey throws them by their own words...even if
> others don't seem to have the same problem.

Ken,

  There are two issues here, which I think you're getting confused.
First, the web designers responsible for the Yahoo site you're
trying to visit have decided that they want to support only certain
browsers. This is because browsers do things differently, and to make
the more complicated sites work properly, it requires page architecture
that allows for these differences.

  In reality, it can be difficult and expensive for the site owners to
support many browsers, so they select what they consider the best set
given the amount of money and time they have to manage the development
work.

  They prevent the "unsupported" browsers from getting to the site by
checking the User Agent string reported by the browser itself. If your
browser is not on their good list, then it won't be allowed to render
the site's web pages.

  The reason for the ability to change the user agent reported by the
browser is that a site can support, say Mozilla but not recognize the
user agent string reported by SeaMonkey - when really both browsers
should work fine.

  Running SeaMonkey, you can change the User Agent to report itself
as Mozilla and the site should be happy and let you in.

  Now, as to why this works for other but not you, I would have to
guess that you're not setting the User Agent properly, or not setting
it to the proper value.

  That is something someone else will have to help you with, as I
don't use that setting.

>                                              Why I'm  apparently
> alone with this problem is a mystery.  But at this point I'm
> thinking  Yahoo! avatars can stuff themselves for all I care.

Well, if you want to use their site, contact the web masters and
let them know that your browser is not able to access the site.
They should add a correction for this to their list of things to
do.

> --Ken Rudolph
0
Mark
4/20/2006 4:57:08 PM
Mark Hansen wrote:

> Well, if you want to use their site, contact the web masters and
> let them know that your browser is not able to access the site.
> They should add a correction for this to their list of things to
> do.

all I can say is the web world hasn't gotten around to this new
browser.  I'd give them some time.

--
Signs to Indicate You Need a Really Long Vacation: You lecture the
neighborhood kids selling lemonade on ways to improve their process
> Mark Hansen wrote:
>
>> Ken: Open a browser window, change the user agent, then go to:
>>
>>   <http://avatars.yahoo.com>
>>
>> Do you still get the error?
>
> Sorry, but yes...with the browser set the way user agent does by default
> Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1), I'm still getting
> the same error when I click on this link, right out of Seamonkey.  And
> yes, I was using the YM "browser" by itself when I got the error box
> before.

What version of the Flash plug-in you have installer (for
SeaMonkey)? Try it on:

http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/welcome/

--
Stanimir
0
Stanimir Stamenkov wrote:
> /Ken Rudolph/:
>> Mark Hansen wrote:
>>
>>> Ken: Open a browser window, change the user agent, then go to:
>>>
>>>   <http://avatars.yahoo.com>
>>>
>>> Do you still get the error?
>>
>> Sorry, but yes...with the browser set the way user agent does by
>> default Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1), I'm still
>> getting the same error when I click on this link, right out of
>> Seamonkey.  And yes, I was using the YM "browser" by itself when I got
>> the error box before.
>
> What version of the Flash plug-in you have installer (for SeaMonkey)?
> Try it on:
>
> http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/welcome/

I honestly don't think that's it.  My flash plug-in is Shockwave
Flash 8.0 r24.  Should I be using something else?  This one seems to
work on other sites.

--Ken Rudolph
0
Ken
4/20/2006 7:36:14 PM
/Ken Rudolph/:
> Stanimir Stamenkov wrote:
>
>> What version of the Flash plug-in you have installer (for SeaMonkey)?
>> Try it on:
>>
>> http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/welcome/
>
> I honestly don't think that's it.  My flash plug-in is Shockwave Flash
> 8.0 r24.  Should I be using something else?  This one seems to work on
> other sites.

O.k. I've just tried it using the original SeaMonkey UA string and
the error page appeared. You could try spoofing as other has
suggested but not as IE because I see the check for IE is made using
IE proprietary calls which are not available in Mozilla - try
spoofing as Firefox, for example you could add to your
"user.js"/"prefs.js":

user_pref("general.useragent.vendor", "Firefox");
user_pref("general.useragent.vendorSub", "1.5.0.2");

I'm using:

user_pref("general.useragent.vendor", "Netscape");
user_pref("general.useragent.vendorSub", "7.2");

for the exact same purposes. Both seems to work for me with
<http://avatars.yahoo.com/>.

--
Stanimir
0

Ken Rudolph wrote:
> Ken Rudolph wrote:
>> Ed Mullen wrote:

>>> You don't just "run the program."  You install it and then you have
>>> a new item on the Tools menu.  You need to select a User Agent from
>>> the menu.
>>>
>> Well, I set it to emulate IE 6.0 and tested it at alt.test...sure
>> enough the browser field changed.  But Yahoo Messenger still sends me
>> to the same "unsupported browser" page when I click on  "Share my
>> Yahoo! Avatar", even though they're supposed to support IE 5.5 and
>> above.  The other choices in User Agent Switcher, Netscape 4.8 or
>> Opera are both also supposedly unsupported browsers.
>>
>> Anyway, thank you for your help!  At lease I managed to effectuate
>> the change, even if it didn't make a difference.
>
> oops, it reverted to default for some reason when I sent the previous
> message.  I set the User Agent  again to IE 6.0 and the Yahoo site
> still wouldn't work; but I'm resending this here to see if the browser
> field actually changed now.  Is it possible that the User Agent resets
> to default every time Seamonkey reopens?
>>
>> --Ken Rudolph
I don't know what you set, but I see:  Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE
6.0; Windows NT 5.1)

Which may or may not be what you wanted.

--
   -bill davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)
"Strange it is that SCO was a direct beneficiary of the effort by IBM
					-groklaw, Jan 24, 2005

--------------000005060301030704060102

<head>
</head>
Ken Rudolph wrote:
 type="cite">Ken Rudolph wrote:
that avatars are not supported with my browser (Seamonkey 1.0.1), only
blah blah including Firefox and Mozilla Suite 1.7.6 or higher are
supported.
Now I recall that it is possible to send out info that my browser is
Mozilla Suite or Firefox.&nbsp; What is the exact procedure to do that,
please somebody tell me.
--Ken Rudolph
First, report the BROKEN site to:
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.mozilla.org/projects/tech-evangelism/">http://www.mozilla.org/projects/tech-evangelism/</a>
I tried this link; but I couldn't navigate to a simple place to report
the site.&nbsp; Anyway, the site in question is:
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://avatars.yahoo.com/error_browser.html">http://avatars.yahoo.com/error_browser.html</a>
Otherwise, you need the User Agent Switcher:
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://chrispederick.com/work/useragentswitcher/">http://chrispederick.com/work/useragentswitcher/</a>
I ran this program; now I'll watch to see if it works.&nbsp; Thanks for the
info.
--Ken Rudolph
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://avatars.yahoo.com/error_browser.html">http://avatars.yahoo.com/error_browser.html</a>
You don't just "run the program."&nbsp; You install it and then you have a
new item on the Tools menu.&nbsp; You need to select a User Agent from the
menu.
Well, I set it to emulate IE 6.0 and tested it at alt.test...sure
enough the browser field changed.&nbsp; But Yahoo Messenger still sends me
to the same "unsupported browser" page when I click on&nbsp; "Share my
Yahoo! Avatar", even though they're supposed to support IE 5.5 and
above.&nbsp; The other choices in User Agent Switcher, Netscape 4.8 or Opera
are both also supposedly unsupported browsers.
Anyway, thank you for your help!&nbsp; At lease I managed to effectuate the
change, even if it didn't make a difference.
oops, it reverted to default for some reason when I sent the previous
message.&nbsp; I set the User Agent&nbsp; again to IE 6.0 and the Yahoo site
still wouldn't work; but I'm resending this here to see if the browser
field actually changed now.&nbsp; Is it possible that the User Agent resets
to default every time Seamonkey reopens?
--Ken Rudolph
(compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1)<br>
Which may or may not be what you wanted.<br>
<pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">--
   -bill davidsen (<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:davidsen@tmr.com">davidsen@tmr.com</a>)
					-groklaw, Jan 24, 2005
</pre>

--------------000005060301030704060102--
0
Bill
4/20/2006 9:19:21 PM
Stanimir Stamenkov wrote:
> /Ken Rudolph/:
>> Stanimir Stamenkov wrote:
>>
>>> What version of the Flash plug-in you have installer (for SeaMonkey)?
>>> Try it on:
>>>
>>> http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/welcome/
>>
>> I honestly don't think that's it.  My flash plug-in is Shockwave Flash
>> 8.0 r24.  Should I be using something else?  This one seems to work on
>> other sites.
>
> O.k. I've just tried it using the original SeaMonkey UA string and the
> error page appeared. You could try spoofing as other has suggested but
> not as IE because I see the check for IE is made using IE proprietary
> calls which are not available in Mozilla - try spoofing as Firefox, for
> example you could add to your "user.js"/"prefs.js":
>
> user_pref("general.useragent.vendor", "Firefox");
> user_pref("general.useragent.vendorSub", "1.5.0.2");
>
> I'm using:
>
> user_pref("general.useragent.vendor", "Netscape");
> user_pref("general.useragent.vendorSub", "7.2");
>
> for the exact same purposes. Both seems to work for me with
> <http://avatars.yahoo.com/>.

Well I don't know why but I can use the site with no UA string spoof in
SM 1.0.1 and FF 1.5.0.2.

--
Brian | REMOVE NOSPAM To E-Mail me

.. http://www.mozilla.org | http://ilias.ca/mozilla/ | http://ilias.ca/

.. No keyboard found. Press F1 to continue.

.. Internet "Help" Desk: http://www.deadtroll.com/video/helldeskcable.html
0
Brian
4/21/2006 12:48:22 AM
gwtc schrieb:
> First, report the BROKEN site to:
> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/tech-evangelism/

Why not just use Help > Report broken website?

As we have that reporter tool, we also should use it ;-)

Robert Kaiser
0
Robert
4/21/2006 1:11:22 AM
Robert Kaiser wrote:
> gwtc schrieb:
>> First, report the BROKEN site to:
>> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/tech-evangelism/
>
> Why not just use Help > Report broken website?
>
> As we have that reporter tool, we also should use it ;-)
>
> Robert Kaiser

I have SeaMonkey 1.0.1 on Windows 98SE.  My Help does not have a "Report
broken website" submenu.

--

--------------080705050901040900050903

David E. Ross wrote:
> Robert Kaiser wrote:
>> gwtc schrieb:
>>> First, report the BROKEN site to:
>>> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/tech-evangelism/
>>
>> Why not just use Help > Report broken website?
>>
>> As we have that reporter tool, we also should use it ;-)
>>
>> Robert Kaiser
>
> I have SeaMonkey 1.0.1 on Windows 98SE.  My Help does not have a
> "Report broken website" submenu.

Hint: it's the HELP off the browser, not the mail/news reader. Don't
know if that's your problem. And it seems a bit arrogant to assume
broken web site instead of browser bug, but there you are ;-)

					-groklaw, Jan 24, 2005

David E. Ross wrote:
 type="cite">Robert Kaiser wrote:
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.mozilla.org/projects/tech-evangelism/">http://www.mozilla.org/projects/tech-evangelism/</a>
Why not just use Help &gt; Report broken website?
As we have that reporter tool, we also should use it ;-)
Robert Kaiser
I have SeaMonkey 1.0.1 on Windows 98SE.&nbsp; My Help does not have a
"Report broken website" submenu.
reader. Don't know if that's your problem. And it seems a bit arrogant
to assume broken web site instead of browser bug, but there you are ;-)</font><br>
					-groklaw, Jan 24, 2005
</pre>

--------------080705050901040900050903--
0
Bill
4/21/2006 5:36:18 PM
Bill Davidsen wrote:
> David E. Ross wrote:
>> Robert Kaiser wrote:
>>>
>>> Why not just use Help > Report broken website?
>>>
>>> As we have that reporter tool, we also should use it ;-)
>>>
>>> Robert Kaiser
>>
>> I have SeaMonkey 1.0.1 on Windows 98SE.  My Help does not have a
>> "Report broken website" submenu.
>>
> Hint: it's the HELP off the browser, not the mail/news reader. Don't
> know if that's your problem. And it seems a bit arrogant to assume
> broken web site instead of browser bug, but there you are ;-)
>
> --
>    -bill davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)
> "Strange it is that SCO was a direct beneficiary of the effort by IBM
> to contribute technology to Linux. And they killed their own goose. It
> may not have been golden. But it was a goose. Now all they have is a
> dead bird. And when these cases finish up by eating the meat off the
> carcass, the bones will be buried somewhere. Or simply discarded out
> back."
> 					-groklaw, Jan 24, 2005

Please do not post in HTML. These groups are plain text only tech support.

Thanks!

--
Brian | REMOVE NOSPAM To E-Mail me

.. http://www.mozilla.org | http://ilias.ca/mozilla/ | http://ilias.ca/

.. No keyboard found. Press F1 to continue.

.. Internet "Help" Desk: http://www.deadtroll.com/video/helldeskcable.html
0
Brian
4/21/2006 6:46:59 PM
David E. Ross wrote:
> Robert Kaiser wrote:
>> gwtc schrieb:
>>> First, report the BROKEN site to:
>>> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/tech-evangelism/
>>
>> Why not just use Help > Report broken website?
>>
>> As we have that reporter tool, we also should use it ;-)
>>
>> Robert Kaiser
>
> I have SeaMonkey 1.0.1 on Windows 98SE.  My Help does not have a "Report
> broken website" submenu.

I believe when you install SM you have the option of including the
Website Reporter just as you have the ChatZilla option. If it wasn't
checked on install it won't show up as a submenu of the Help menu.

--
Brian | REMOVE NOSPAM To E-Mail me

.. http://www.mozilla.org | http://ilias.ca/mozilla/ | http://ilias.ca/

.. No keyboard found. Press F1 to continue.

.. Internet "Help" Desk: http://www.deadtroll.com/video/helldeskcable.html
0
Brian
4/21/2006 6:48:09 PM
Brian J. Graham wrote:

> David E. Ross wrote:
>
>>Robert Kaiser wrote:

>>>Why not just use Help > Report broken website?
>>>
>>>As we have that reporter tool, we also should use it ;-)
>>>
>>>Robert Kaiser
>>
>>I have SeaMonkey 1.0.1 on Windows 98SE.  My Help does not have a "Report
>>broken website" submenu.
>>

> I believe when you install SM you have the option of including the
> Website Reporter just as you have the ChatZilla option. If it wasn't
> checked on install it won't show up as a submenu of the Help menu.

I don't know, but you might beable to add it as an after thought?  I
don't know which one it is, maybe reporter:
ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/seamonkey/releases/1.0.1/windows-xpi/.
  Maybe one of the Champs can fill in the blanks

OT: I just noticed that one can add the talkback

--
Signs Indicating You Need a Really Long Vacation: You ask your friends
to "think out of the box" when making Friday night plans
> Brian J. Graham wrote:
>
>> I believe when you install SM you have the option of including the
>> Website Reporter just as you have the ChatZilla option. If it wasn't
>> checked on install it won't show up as a submenu of the Help menu.
>
> I don't know, but you might beable to add it as an after thought?  I
> don't know which one it is, maybe reporter:
> ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/seamonkey/releases/1.0.1/windows-xpi/.
>  Maybe one of the Champs can fill in the blanks

http://seamonkey.ilias.ca/structure/
As Brian said, it was probably just unselected in the install process.

> OT: I just noticed that one can add the talkback

It's empty.
--
Chris Ilias
mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

> Well I don't know why but I can use the site with no UA string spoof in
> SM 1.0.1 and FF 1.5.0.2.

It is expected it should work with Firefox, but with the original
SeaMonkey UA string it doesn't work for me. Looking at the
|checkBrowser| function defined in
<http://avatars.yahoo.com/js/yavproto.js> I don't see how it could
work with the original SeaMonkey UA string as the check is generally
done like whether the string contains "firefox" (w/o the quotes),
"rv:1.7" (for Mozilla) or "netscape" (for Netscape 7.2 or higher).

--
Stanimir
0
Manuel Reimer wrote:
> Ken Rudolph wrote:
>> Now I recall that it is possible to send out info that my browser is
>> Mozilla Suite or Firefox.  What is the exact procedure to do that,
>> please somebody tell me.
>
> You may use PrefBar to do this and many more things:
>
> http://prefbar.mozdev.org/
>
> CU
>
> Manuel

And once you install prefbar (3.3 is the latest), you can edit the
prebar.rdf file to have the browser use the Firefox UA (or just about
anything else) if you want.

Open the prefbar.rdf file in the profile directory, save as some other
name as a backup. Then modify the <RDF:resource
RDF:about="urn:prefbar:buttons:useragent" section to add or change the
useragent that you want to use.

Example; to change the IE Mac 5.0 entry to Firefox:

  <RDF:resource RDF:about="urn:prefbar:buttons:useragent"
                   prefbar:label="User Agent"
                   prefbar:enabled="true"
                   prefbar:optionlabel1="Real UA"
                   prefbar:optionvalue1="PREFBARDEFAULT"
                   prefbar:optionlabel2="Moz 1.0 Win98"
                   prefbar:optionvalue2="Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98;
en-US; rv:1.0.0) Gecko/20020530"
                   prefbar:optionlabel3="NS 4.7 Mac"
                   prefbar:optionvalue3="Mozilla/4.78 (Macintosh; U; PPC)"
                   prefbar:optionlabel4="NS 6.2 Lin"
                   prefbar:optionvalue4="Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux
i686; en-US; rv:0.9.4) Gecko/20011022 Netscape6/6.2"
                   prefbar:optionlabel5="IE 5.0 Mac"
                   prefbar:optionvalue5="Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE
5.0; Mac_PowerPC)"

Modify prefbar:optionvalue5 to:

                   prefbar:optionlabel5="FireFox"
                   prefbar:optionvalue5="Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U;
Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.8.0.2) Gecko/20060308 Firefox/1.5.0.2"

Save the file back as prefbar.rdf and restart Seamonkey. IE Mac UA will
now appear as Firefox.

Disclaimer: this is a simple mod that I found works for me, use/modify
at your own risk.
0
NoOp
4/24/2006 11:45:21 PM
_NoOp_ spoke thusly on 24/04/2006 7:45 PM:
> Open the prefbar.rdf file in the profile directory, save as some other
> name as a backup. Then modify the <RDF:resource
> RDF:about="urn:prefbar:buttons:useragent" section to add or change the
> useragent that you want to use.

Does 'Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Preferences Toolbar -> User
Agent -> Edit Item' not work?
--
Chris Ilias
mozilla.test.multimedia moderator
Mozilla links <http://ilias.ca>
Chris
4/24/2006 11:55:16 PM
Chris Ilias wrote:
> _NoOp_ spoke thusly on 24/04/2006 7:45 PM:
>> Open the prefbar.rdf file in the profile directory, save as some other
>> name as a backup. Then modify the <RDF:resource
>> RDF:about="urn:prefbar:buttons:useragent" section to add or change the
>> useragent that you want to use.
>
> Does 'Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Preferences Toolbar -> User
> Agent -> Edit Item' not work?

By golly it does... providing you know how to use it.

Thanks, I totally missed that nice (and easy) feature. :-)

0
NoOp
4/25/2006 12:04:56 AM
Mark Hansen wrote:

<Big Snip>

>   Running SeaMonkey, you can change the User Agent to report itself
> as Mozilla and the site should be happy and let you in.

I'm going to change to SeaMonkey, and this caught my eye.  If I need
to change the User Agent, how do I do it?  It might become apparent
once I've changed, but I'm running Mozilla now and can't find User Agent.

Thanks

Henry
0
Henry
4/26/2006 2:36:31 PM
Henry wrote:
> Mark Hansen wrote:
>
> <Big Snip>
>
>>   Running SeaMonkey, you can change the User Agent to report itself
>> as Mozilla and the site should be happy and let you in.
>>

> I'm going to change to SeaMonkey, and this caught my eye.  If I need to
> change the User Agent, how do I do it?  It might become apparent once
> I've changed, but I'm running Mozilla now and can't find User Agent.
>
> Thanks
>
> Henry

I use the PrefBar extension and one of its features allows you to change
your User Agent. You can also add User Agent strings from websites that
report them.

PrefBar is available here:

http://prefbar.mozdev.org/

--
Brian | REMOVE NOSPAM To E-Mail me

.. http://www.mozilla.org | http://ilias.ca/mozilla/ | http://ilias.ca/

.. No keyboard found. Press F1 to continue.

.. Internet "Help" Desk: http://www.deadtroll.com/video/helldeskcable.html
0
Brian
4/26/2006 3:20:20 PM
Brian J. Graham wrote:

> Henry wrote:
>
>>Mark Hansen wrote:
>>
>><Big Snip>
>>
>>>  Running SeaMonkey, you can change the User Agent to report itself
>>>as Mozilla and the site should be happy and let you in.
>>>

>>I'm going to change to SeaMonkey, and this caught my eye.  If I need to
>>change the User Agent, how do I do it?  It might become apparent once
>>I've changed, but I'm running Mozilla now and can't find User Agent.
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>>Henry
>

> I use the PrefBar extension and one of its features allows you to change
> your User Agent. You can also add User Agent strings from websites that
> report them.
>
> PrefBar is available here:
>
> http://prefbar.mozdev.org/

I use the User Agent Switcher:
http://chrispederick.com/work/useragentswitcher/

or if you want lots of extras, you can get the best damned extension
for Moz/SM -- Multizilla: http://multizilla.mozdev.org/

--
Things to Ponder about: If Wiley E. Coyote had enough money to buy all
that ACME crap, why didn't he just buy dinner?

"SeaMonkey and "Lightning"????
Another question : Can "Lightning Calendar" work with "SeaMonkey"??? Best Regards @lex Alex Beauroy wrote: > Another question : Can "Lightning Calendar" work with "SeaMonkey"??? Not yet, but we'll be trying to make SeaMonkey 2.0 and Lightning 1.0 compatible with each other (actually, I have some development code around here that makes it mostly work). Robert Kaiser Please don't post your question more than once. ...

"m.s.seamonkey " vs. n.p.m.seamonkey" forums??
How does this forum differ from "netscape.public.mozilla.seamonkey"-forum? Why is there to on the apparently same application? _Trombastic_ spoke thusly on 26/04/2006 12:26 PM: > How does this forum differ from "netscape.public.mozilla.seamonkey"-forum? > > Why is there to on the apparently same application? When the Mozilla project began, it was created by Netscape as a development project, with no intent to market 'Mozilla' to end-users. Newsgroups were created in the netscape.public.* hierarchy, for Mozilla contributors. 'Seamonkey&...

superreview granted: [Bug 318680] "Organisation" should be spelled "Organization" in the alert for empty fields in Address Book. : [Attachment 204763] SeaMonkey patch (trunk)
Scott MacGregor <mscott@mozilla.org> has granted Stephen Donner <stephen.donner@gmail.com>'s request for superreview: Bug 318680: "Organisation" should be spelled "Organization" in the alert for empty fields in Address Book. https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=318680 Attachment 204763: SeaMonkey patch (trunk) https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=204763&action=edit ...

superreview requested: [Bug 318680] "Organisation" should be spelled "Organization" in the alert for empty fields in Address Book. : [Attachment 204763] SeaMonkey patch (trunk)
Stephen Donner <stephen.donner@gmail.com> has asked Scott MacGregor <mscott@mozilla.org> for superreview: Bug 318680: "Organisation" should be spelled "Organization" in the alert for empty fields in Address Book. https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=318680 Attachment 204763: SeaMonkey patch (trunk) https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=204763&action=edit ...

Seamonkey mail (2.5) : "Bcc: " -> "To: "
A user is trying to Bcc a large list of contacts. He brings up the compose window and the address book, sets the first recipient field to "Bcc: " and drags the first entry from the address book to this field. As he continues to drag entries to subsequent recipient fields, all follow the first in pattern (i.e., "Bcc: ") until there is room for only one more entry above the divider bar. As he drags an entry into this recipient field, the whole thing scrolls up one line, and a new recipient field is added. This one defaults to "To: ". Why ? Philip T...

Seamonkey 2.3.1 : can I turn off "Seamonkey Instant"
Having finally succeeded in turning off Google Instant and Google Autocomplete by setting my home page to : http://www.google.co.uk/webhp?complete=0 I am now being driven to distraction by Seamonkey's "Find" behaviour (from Ctrl-F) seeking to emulate the abominable Google Instant. Is there any of reverting Find's behaviour to its former line- oriented behaviour whereby it used to wait to be told what to search for (by hitting <return>) rather than trying to be ´┐Żber-clever and guess from the characters already typed ? Philip Taylor Philip TAYLOR (Web...

.ALLCOL("%COLUMN%", " ", ", ", ", ")

"From" field says "Undisclosed"
I have just (finally) migrated to TB from Eudora. All is going well, but I have a question. In the list of messages for any given account, messages from other people show the email address (or their display name if they're in my address book), but the emails from me show "Undisclosed". If I mouse over the "Undisclosed" in the message pane, it shows my correct email address. In Eudora, my emails in the list of emails used to show the recipient's address in italics. Is there some way to get that behaviour in Thunderbird? Many thanks Patricia Pat...

"SeaMonkey" THE BEST...?
QUOTE: "SeaMonkey 1.0 Beta is one of the most powerful and secure internet software packages currently available, even though this release is only for testing." This is rarther a sweeping statement for Mozilla to quote don't you think...? On 20.12.2005 14:30, Mozzy Fan wrote: --- Original Message --- > QUOTE: "SeaMonkey 1.0 Beta is one of the most powerful and secure > internet software packages currently available, even though this > release is only for testing." > This is rarther a sweeping statement for Mozilla to quote don't you &g...

SeaMonkey "outages"
After years of no problems, suddenly, and totally at random, my SeaMonkey seems to just lose power...and occasionally totally loses it's web connection for some reason. This happened a few minutes ago, and I used the site http://www.speed.io/index_en.html to conduct a speed test on SeaMonkey and Internet Explorer, one right after another. Here are the results... ----------------- First, SeaMonkey: Download = 670 Kbit/s Upload = 543 Kbit/s Connections = 2209/minute Ping = 43 ms Overall quality equals to 768 Kbit/s ----------------- Immediately after, Internet...

quotes, quotes, quotes...

OutputCache Duration="43200" VaryByParam="*" VaryByCustom="browser" ...
Hi,  For the login page, I am using this syntax. OutputCache Duration="43200" VaryByParam="*" VaryByCustom="browser"  - Is the settings correct? - any side affects? Login page has some user controls and pre-processed application logic and write to cookies (application settings). I am also cross posting to other Login2.aspx for processing ... in case that matters. I want to cache the login page per browser and based on the cookie settings. Thanks in advance Hi, Based on my understanding, you want the page to be cached every time when a dif...

the "Windows Live" "Help Center" "does not support" Firefox
Name: ets3rodamar@hotmail.com Email: ets3rodamarathotmaildotcom Product: Minefield Summary: the "Windows Live" "Help Center" "does not support" Firefox Comments: I received the following info when I tried to access the "Help Central" service of "Windows Live" "http://g.live.com/9uxp9en-us/ftr2?productkey=wlhomepage"...: https://account.live.com/error.aspx?errcode=1047&mkt=de-de [quote] Browser wird nicht unterstützt Versuchen Sie, Ihren Browser auf eine neuere Version zu aktualisieren, um sich be...

superreview requested: [Bug 282669] First ("To:") address field not focused in new mail when last mail sent with first address field in focus : [Attachment 228885] SeaMonkey version of fix
Wayne Woods <w.woods@optusnet.com.au> has asked David Bienvenu <bienvenu@nventure.com> for superreview: Bug 282669: First ("To:") address field not focused in new mail when last mail sent with first address field in focus https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=282669 Attachment 228885: SeaMonkey version of fix https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=228885&action=edit ------- Additional Comments from Wayne Woods <w.woods@optusnet.com.au> Thanks :) Again, this is something that could be applied to both trunk and branch. Not sure which ap...

Web resources about - Seamonkey emulating Mozilla suite in "browser" field - mozilla.support.seamonkey