Seamonkey Composer to Be Discontinued?

I say on your May 14th Seamonkey Meeting Notes that Seamonkey Composer may be discontinued? Is this so? I use it to keep two websites updated. It is so easy to use. Please let me know about the status of Composer. Thanks!
0
izntmac
5/15/2018 8:41:38 AM
mozilla.support.seamonkey 12897 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

 > I say on your May 14th Seamonkey Meeting Notes that Seamonkey Composer may
be discontinued?

Where did you see this? I wrote the notes and this is not mentioned anywhere.

 > There was an enquiry by Mozilla if the Composer standalone product in Bugzilla

I just added a clarification here in case you meant this.

FRG
0
Frank
5/15/2018 10:46:01 AM
On 5/15/2018 3:46 AM, Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:
>  > I say on your May 14th Seamonkey Meeting Notes that Seamonkey
> Composer may be discontinued?
>
> Where did you see this? I wrote the notes and this is not mentioned
> anywhere.
>
>  > There was an enquiry by Mozilla if the Composer standalone product in
> Bugzilla
>
> I just added a clarification here in case you meant this.

I saw it too.
https://wiki.mozilla.org/SeaMonkey/StatusMeetings/2018-05-13#Action_Items
was where I saw it.
--
"I don't only write about English literature; I also write about chaos
theory and... ants. I can understand ants." --A. S. Byatt
  | |o   o| |        http://antfarm.ma.cx / http://antfarm.home.dhs.org
     \ _ /
      ( )
0
Ant
5/15/2018 10:29:24 PM
Ant wrote on 16-05-18 00:29:
> On 5/15/2018 3:46 AM, Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:
>>  > I say on your May 14th Seamonkey Meeting Notes that Seamonkey
>> Composer may be discontinued?
>>
>> Where did you see this? I wrote the notes and this is not mentioned
>> anywhere.
>>
>>  > There was an enquiry by Mozilla if the Composer standalone product
>> in Bugzilla
>>
>> I just added a clarification here in case you meant this.
>
> I saw it too.
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/SeaMonkey/StatusMeetings/2018-05-13#Action_Items
> was where I saw it.
My understanding of this page is that Composer could be removed .. BUT
not out of SeaMonkey ...
0
Ray_Net
5/15/2018 10:55:26 PM
Ant wrote:
> On 5/15/2018 3:46 AM, Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:
>>  > I say on your May 14th Seamonkey Meeting Notes that Seamonkey
>> Composer may be discontinued?
>>
>> Where did you see this? I wrote the notes and this is not mentioned
>> anywhere.
>>
>>  > There was an enquiry by Mozilla if the Composer standalone product
>> in Bugzilla
>>
>> I just added a clarification here in case you meant this.
>
> I saw it too.
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/SeaMonkey/StatusMeetings/2018-05-13#Action_Items was
> where I saw it.

The removal is of the Composer component/product in
Bugzilla.mozilla.org, and not the actual application.
We're planning to move the Composer product in Bugzilla
under SeaMonkey::Composer.

Edmund
0
Edmund
5/16/2018 5:00:04 AM
On 5/15/2018 10:00 PM, Edmund Wong wrote:
> Ant wrote:
>> On 5/15/2018 3:46 AM, Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:
>>>   > I say on your May 14th Seamonkey Meeting Notes that Seamonkey
>>> Composer may be discontinued?
>>>
>>> Where did you see this? I wrote the notes and this is not mentioned
>>> anywhere.
>>>
>>>   > There was an enquiry by Mozilla if the Composer standalone product
>>> in Bugzilla
>>>
>>> I just added a clarification here in case you meant this.
>>
>> I saw it too.
>> https://wiki.mozilla.org/SeaMonkey/StatusMeetings/2018-05-13#Action_Items was
>> where I saw it.
>
> The removal is of the Composer component/product in
> Bugzilla.mozilla.org, and not the actual application.
> We're planning to move the Composer product in Bugzilla
> under SeaMonkey::Composer.
>
> Edmund

Thanks. That was confusing. ;)
--
"Maybe it's like an ant hive..." "Bees man, bees have hives." "You know
what I mean. It's like one female that runs the whole show." "Yes, the
this signature correctly.
    /\___/\            If crediting, then use Ant nickname and URL/link.
   / /\ /\ \            Axe ANT from its address if e-mailing privately.
  | |o   o| |        http://antfarm.ma.cx / http://antfarm.home.dhs.org
     \ _ /
      ( )
0
Ant
5/16/2018 7:28:37 AM
Edmund Wong wrote on 16/05/18 15:00:
> Ant wrote:
>> On 5/15/2018 3:46 AM, Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:
>>>   > I say on your May 14th Seamonkey Meeting Notes that Seamonkey
>>> Composer may be discontinued?
>>>
>>> Where did you see this? I wrote the notes and this is not mentioned
>>> anywhere.
>>>
>>>   > There was an enquiry by Mozilla if the Composer standalone product
>>> in Bugzilla
>>>
>>> I just added a clarification here in case you meant this.
>>
>> I saw it too.
>> https://wiki.mozilla.org/SeaMonkey/StatusMeetings/2018-05-13#Action_Items was
>> where I saw it.
>
> The removal is of the Composer component/product in
> Bugzilla.mozilla.org, and not the actual application.
> We're planning to move the Composer product in Bugzilla
> under SeaMonkey::Composer.
>
> Edmund

Edmund, just as a By-the-By, would those still developing Thunderbird
have an interest in any Composer bugs?? If so, would they have access to
SeaMonkey::Composer??

--
Daniel

SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171016030418

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623
0
Daniel
5/16/2018 7:40:48 AM
On Tuesday, May 15, 2018 at 4:41:39 AM UTC-4, izntmac wrote:
> I say on your May 14th Seamonkey Meeting Notes that Seamonkey Composer ma=
y be discontinued? Is this so? I use it to keep two websites updated. It is=
 so easy to use. Please let me know about the status of Composer. Thanks!

Thank you. It was confusing the way that it was worded. I saw the words Com=
poser and retired. Thanks for all the developers do and keeping SeaMonkey g=
oing and updated. I appreciate it and use it daily as a browser, for web pa=
ge design and updating, and for other things.
0
izntmac
5/16/2018 7:59:46 AM
 > Edmund, just as a By-the-By, would those still developing Thunderbird have an
 > interest in any Composer bugs?? If so, would they have access to
 > SeaMonkey::Composer??

They have their hands full getting 60 out the door. We are still months behind
them. The Composer code lives in shared code with TB but is not packed into
TB. Composer picks up some mailnews changes too.

Composer specific code is not exactly unmaintained but without new devs it
takes a backseat and gets only minimal support to keep it running.

Speaking of testing. Try 2.53 and see if Composer still works. I am using this
as the base to port patches to the next planned release 2.57 but really only
tested mailnews and the browser yet. Bill uses my patch tree:

https://www.wg9s.com/comm-253/

Consider it beta and not fully up to date wrt security but otherwise it is
nice. Bugs reports are accepted.

download manager and notifications still have known issues open so don't
report anything against these.

Back up your profile if you use it. Downgrading won't work. Based on 56 with
numerous patches (NSS 3.36 + security + performance).

FRG

Daniel wrote:
> Edmund Wong wrote on 16/05/18 15:00:
>> Ant wrote:

>>> I saw it too.
>>> https://wiki.mozilla.org/SeaMonkey/StatusMeetings/2018-05-13#Action_Items was
>>> where I saw it.
>>
>> The removal is of the Composer component/product in
>> Bugzilla.mozilla.org, and not the actual application.
>> We're planning to move the Composer product in Bugzilla
>> under SeaMonkey::Composer.
>>
>> Edmund
>>
> Edmund, just as a By-the-By, would those still developing Thunderbird have an
> interest in any Composer bugs?? If so, would they have access to
> SeaMonkey::Composer??

0
Frank
5/16/2018 9:16:44 AM
On 05/16/2018 04:16 AM, Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:
>  > Edmund, just as a By-the-By, would those still developing Thunderbird
> have an
>  > interest in any Composer bugs?? If so, would they have access to
>  > SeaMonkey::Composer??
>
> They have their hands full getting 60 out the door. We are still months
> behind them. The Composer code lives in shared code with TB but is not
> packed into TB. Composer picks up some mailnews changes too.
>
> Composer specific code is not exactly unmaintained but without new devs
> it takes a backseat and gets only minimal support to keep it running.

As long as it doesn't break something else, I say keep it around as long
as possible. It doesn't have all the latest HTML gegaws etc.
*BUT* it does its job and is easy to use. I don't publish any website. I
use it when I need a page of HTML for local use. I've tried some of the
more modern @%$&^&, they are a pain to use.

> Speaking of testing. Try 2.53 and see if Composer still works. I am
> using this as the base to port patches to the next planned release 2.57
> but really only tested mailnews and the browser yet. Bill uses my patch
> tree:
>
> https://www.wg9s.com/comm-253/

I'm currently running the i386 version of Debian 9.
When I free more space, I'll install the x86_64 version.

> Consider it beta and not fully up to date wrt security but otherwise it
> is nice. Bugs reports are accepted.
>
> download manager and notifications still have known issues open so don't
> report anything against these.
>
> Back up your profile if you use it. Downgrading won't work. Based on 56
> with numerous patches (NSS 3.36 + security + performance).
>
> FRG

0
Richard
5/16/2018 12:11:37 PM
Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote on 16/05/18 19:16:
>  > Edmund, just as a By-the-By, would those still developing Thunderbird
> have an
>  > interest in any Composer bugs?? If so, would they have access to
>  > SeaMonkey::Composer??
>
> They have their hands full getting 60 out the door. We are still months
> behind them. The Composer code lives in shared code with TB but is not
> packed into TB. Composer picks up some mailnews changes too.
>
> Composer specific code is not exactly unmaintained but without new devs
> it takes a backseat and gets only minimal support to keep it running.
>
> Speaking of testing. Try 2.53 and see if Composer still works. I am
> using this as the base to port patches to the next planned release 2.57
> but really only tested mailnews and the browser yet. Bill uses my patch
> tree:
>
> https://www.wg9s.com/comm-253/
>
> Consider it beta and not fully up to date wrt security but otherwise it
> is nice. Bugs reports are accepted.

Downloading as I type, FRG

--
Daniel

SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171016030418

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623
0
Daniel
5/16/2018 1:16:18 PM
On 05/16/2018 07:11 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
> On 05/16/2018 04:16 AM, Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:
>>
>> Speaking of testing. Try 2.53 and see if Composer still works. I am
>> using this as the base to port patches to the next planned release
>> 2.57 but really only tested mailnews and the browser yet. Bill uses my
>> patch tree:
>>
>> https://www.wg9s.com/comm-253/
>
> I'm currently running the i386 version of Debian 9.
> When I free more space, I'll install the x86_64 version.

I've installed the AMD64 version of Debian 9.
I've downloaded
https://www.wg9s.com/comm-253/seamonkey-2.53.en-US.linux-x86_64.tar.bz2
and extracted SeaMonkey.
It will not launch.
My install of Debian was odd.
I likely won't be able to troubleshoot until the weekend.

>> Consider it beta and not fully up to date wrt security but otherwise
>> it is nice. Bugs reports are accepted.
>>
>> download manager and notifications still have known issues open so
>> don't report anything against these.
>>
>> Back up your profile if you use it. Downgrading won't work. Based on
>> 56 with numerous patches (NSS 3.36 + security + performance).
>>
>> FRG

0
Richard
5/16/2018 5:02:59 PM
Richard Owlett:

>I've downloaded
>https://www.wg9s.com/comm-253/seamonkey-2.53.en-US.linux-x86_64.tar.bz2
>and extracted SeaMonkey.
>It will not launch.

I'm using the latest usable Version of SM 2.56a1 Linux x86_64. Self
compiled, some private patches. The composer starts, but I have never
used it.

Others have used this build without problems. Maybe you are interested
in it for testing composer. Or other things. If so, drop me a PM.

But, private patches you may not like. *g*

Hartmut
0
Hartmut
5/16/2018 5:28:57 PM
On 05/16/2018 12:28 PM, Hartmut Figge wrote:
> Richard Owlett:
>
>> I've downloaded
>> https://www.wg9s.com/comm-253/seamonkey-2.53.en-US.linux-x86_64.tar.bz2
>> and extracted SeaMonkey.
>> It will not launch.
>
> I'm using the latest usable Version of SM 2.56a1 Linux x86_64. Self
> compiled, some private patches. The composer starts, but I have never
> used it.
>
> Others have used this build without problems. Maybe you are interested
> in it for testing composer. Or other things. If so, drop me a PM.
>
> But, private patches you may not like. *g*
>
> Hartmut

I'm game. I date back to the Netscape days - part of why I want to see
Composer stick around.
I've never tested software my 64 bit Debian is totally isolated. I did
hardware QA/QC back when 8085 was fairly new ;/

0
Richard
5/16/2018 5:37:42 PM
Richard Owlett wrote:
> On 05/16/2018 12:28 PM, Hartmut Figge wrote:
>> Richard Owlett:
>>
>>> I've downloaded
>>> https://www.wg9s.com/comm-253/seamonkey-2.53.en-US.linux-x86_64.tar.bz2
>>> and extracted SeaMonkey.
>>> It will not launch.
>>
>> I'm using the latest usable Version of SM 2.56a1 Linux x86_64. Self
>> compiled, some private patches. The composer starts, but I have never
>> used it.
>>
>> Others have used this build without problems. Maybe you are interested
>> in it for testing composer. Or other things. If so, drop me a PM.
>>
>> But, private patches you may not like. *g*
>>
>> Hartmut
>>

> I'm game. I date back to the Netscape days - part of why I want to see Composer
> stick around.
> I've never tested software my 64 bit Debian is totally isolated. I did hardware
> QA/QC back when 8085 was fairly new ;/

you should use \;-) ;-)

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0
SeaMonkey/2.49.3
Build identifier: 20180403170715

Fedora 20 Linux
0
GerardJan
5/16/2018 6:47:06 PM
Hartmut

 > I'm using the latest usable Version of SM 2.56a1 Linux x86_64. Self
 > compiled, some private patches. The composer starts, but I have never
 > used it.

2.56a1 really had a lot of problems. Apply the zips on Bills site using the
mozilla-release csets on his site:

https://www.wg9s.com/comm-253/

They contain around 50 backported patches for comm-release and over 200 for
mozilla-release. Check if you want the ones with PPPP. Just some settings I
use in my build.

We might need to do an interim release before 2.57 and this minus the private
ones will become the base then. Problem is just missing l10n strings.

If you have others backported please send them to me.

FRG

Hartmut Figge wrote:
> Richard Owlett:
>
>> I've downloaded
>> https://www.wg9s.com/comm-253/seamonkey-2.53.en-US.linux-x86_64.tar.bz2
>> and extracted SeaMonkey.
>> It will not launch.
>
> I'm using the latest usable Version of SM 2.56a1 Linux x86_64. Self
> compiled, some private patches. The composer starts, but I have never
> used it.
>
> Others have used this build without problems. Maybe you are interested
> in it for testing composer. Or other things. If so, drop me a PM.
>
> But, private patches you may not like. *g*
>
> Hartmut

0
Frank