Seamonkey 2.53 vs KeePass

Hi,

I'm looking for anyone who tried to integrate Seamonkey > 2.49 with KeePass.
Up to version 2.53 I was using https://github.com/pfn/passifox/ but it
got last update 3 years ago and it does not work anymore (looks like
some changes in password storage issue).

For firefox I managed to switch to
https://github.com/smorks/keepasshttp-connector and it even installs in
Seamonkey 2.53 but does not work (no credentials suggestions or even
toolbar icon).

Any hint for working plugin would be very welcomed.

Thanks in advance

Szymon
0
Szymon
9/12/2019 9:46:43 AM
mozilla.support.seamonkey 13312 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Szymon Stryczek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for anyone who tried to integrate Seamonkey > 2.49 with
> KeePass.

What are the specific symptoms of "not work"?  What are you trying to
do, and what specific responses are you getting?

> Up to version 2.53 I was using https://github.com/pfn/passifox/ but it
> got last update 3 years ago and it does not work anymore (looks like
> some changes in password storage issue).
>
> For firefox I managed to switch to
> https://github.com/smorks/keepasshttp-connector and it even installs in
> Seamonkey 2.53 but does not work (no credentials suggestions or even
> toolbar icon).

The links that you post are not stock KeePass -- those are plug-ins that
read KeePass data stores, passifox (last updated March 2017) and
keepasshttp-connector (last updated March 2018), both  of which require
KeePassHttp. None of them are shown as available at either
addons.mozilla.org nor the Seamonkey archive at thunderbird.net.

I'm guessing that both projects were supported until the end of Firefox
52.9, and are now abandoned. Since Seamonkey 52.3 is based on Firefox
60, there's now a bunch of stuff in the Mozilla APIs that are no longer
supported, and there's a lot of both plug-ins and extensions that will
no longer work on newer versions -- and no way to fix them. Furthermore,
because of the problems with malware, I know that Firefox has become
pretty hostile to plugins.

I have 2.59.3 (20190815 build) installed on a virtual machine along with
a stock 2.43 installation of KeePass, and everything working correctly,
especially the auto-type function.

If you want to be using anything more recent than 2.49.5, then you're
going to have to find a different approach to interacting with KeePass.
I have no idea whether extensions that run in Firefox after version 57
will work in Seamonkey 2.53, but I think you can pretty much forget
about anything that interacts through a plug-in.

Smith

0
NFN
9/20/2019 6:07:09 PM
NFN Smith wrote:
> Szymon Stryczek wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm looking for anyone who tried to integrate Seamonkey > 2.49 with
>> KeePass.
>
> What are the specific symptoms of "not work"?  What are you trying to
> do, and what specific responses are you getting?
>
>> Up to version 2.53 I was using https://github.com/pfn/passifox/ but it
>> got last update 3 years ago and it does not work anymore (looks like
>> some changes in password storage issue).
>>
>> For firefox I managed to switch to
>> https://github.com/smorks/keepasshttp-connector and it even installs
>> in Seamonkey 2.53 but does not work (no credentials suggestions or
>> even toolbar icon).
>
> The links that you post are not stock KeePass -- those are plug-ins that
> read KeePass data stores, passifox (last updated March 2017) and
> keepasshttp-connector (last updated March 2018), both  of which require
> KeePassHttp. None of them are shown as available at either
> addons.mozilla.org nor the Seamonkey archive at thunderbird.net.
>
> I'm guessing that both projects were supported until the end of Firefox
> 52.9, and are now abandoned. Since Seamonkey 52.3 is based on Firefox
> 60, there's now a bunch of stuff in the Mozilla APIs that are no longer
> supported, and there's a lot of both plug-ins and extensions that will
> no longer work on newer versions -- and no way to fix them. Furthermore,
> because of the problems with malware, I know that Firefox has become
> pretty hostile to plugins.
>
> I have 2.59.3 (20190815 build) installed on a virtual machine along with
> a stock 2.43 installation of KeePass, and everything working correctly,
> especially the auto-type function.
>
> If you want to be using anything more recent than 2.49.5, then you're
> going to have to find a different approach to interacting with KeePass.
> I have no idea whether extensions that run in Firefox after version 57
> will work in Seamonkey 2.53, but I think you can pretty much forget
> about anything that interacts through a plug-in.
>
> Smith

Windows 10
SM User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:60.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.53
Build identifier: 20190425130005
KeePass 2.43

I'm confused.  You say SM 2.59.3 & KP 2.43 work correctly, but then say
anything more than SM 2.49.5 needs a different approach.

So is it possible to have SM 2.53 and KP 2.43 work together, and if so, how?

TIA
0
Mark
9/21/2019 3:02:20 AM

NFN Smith wrote:
> Szymon Stryczek wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm looking for anyone who tried to integrate Seamonkey > 2.49 with KeePass.
>
> What are the specific symptoms of "not work"?  What are you trying to do, and
> what specific responses are you getting?
>
>> Up to version 2.53 I was using https://github.com/pfn/passifox/ but it got
>> last update 3 years ago and it does not work anymore (looks like some
>> changes in password storage issue).
>>
>> For firefox I managed to switch to
>> https://github.com/smorks/keepasshttp-connector and it even installs in
>> Seamonkey 2.53 but does not work (no credentials suggestions or even toolbar
>> icon).
>
> The links that you post are not stock KeePass -- those are plug-ins that read
> KeePass data stores, passifox (last updated March 2017) and
> keepasshttp-connector (last updated March 2018), both  of which require
> KeePassHttp. None of them are shown as available at either addons.mozilla.org
> nor the Seamonkey archive at thunderbird.net.
>
> I'm guessing that both projects were supported until the end of Firefox 52.9,
> and are now abandoned. Since Seamonkey 52.3 is based on Firefox 60, there's
> now a bunch of stuff in the Mozilla APIs that are no longer supported, and
> there's a lot of both plug-ins and extensions that will no longer work on
> newer versions -- and no way to fix them. Furthermore, because of the problems
> with malware, I know that Firefox has become pretty hostile to plugins.
>
> I have 2.59.3 (20190815 build) installed on a virtual machine along with a
> stock 2.43 installation of KeePass, and everything working correctly,
> especially the auto-type function.
>
> If you want to be using anything more recent than 2.49.5, then you're going to
> have to find a different approach to interacting with KeePass. I have no idea
> whether extensions that run in Firefox after version 57 will work in Seamonkey
> 2.53, but I think you can pretty much forget about anything that interacts
> through a plug-in.
>
> Smith

You have your versions mixed up. 2.53 is basically based on 56 but with many
backports. Add-On compatibility is not so much a problem here. There might be
some breaking because of bookmark api changes and older js featurces removed
but overall they should be fine if they are not totally ancient. NPAPI plugins
other than Flash are no longer supported. Announces itself as 60 because many
websites now just use stupid user agent sniffing just based on numbers.
2.57 will be at full 60 level with all consequences. We might back out some
changes for add-on compatibility later but overall it will behave like
Thunderbird 60. It needs more web extensions compatibility. As of now uBlock
and NoScript e.g. do not work.

FRG
0
Frank
9/21/2019 8:42:58 AM
NFN Smith wrote:

> I have 2.59.3 (20190815 build) installed on a virtual machine along with
> a stock 2.43 installation of KeePass, and everything working correctly,
> especially the auto-type function.

Let's cut rest of stuff, time is only moving forward so should I.
Then could you please tell me how you are making Seamonkey 2.59.3 to
integrate with stock KeePass ?

Thanks in advance.

Best

0
Szymon
9/23/2019 10:45:29 AM
Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:

> You have your versions mixed up. 2.53 is basically based on 56 but with
> many backports. Add-On compatibility is not so much a problem here.
> There might be some breaking because of bookmark api changes and older
> js featurces removed but overall they should be fine if they are not
> totally ancient.

That is the case, to be exact (to the level I understand SM):
Passifox - fails because of password api deprecation
keepasshttp-connector - some other Firefox vs Seamonkey diffs (like
toolbars to put icons and so one...) that can no longer be solved with
converters like http://addonconverter.fotokraina.com/

Szymon
0
Szymon
9/23/2019 10:59:11 AM
Szymon Stryczek wrote:
> NFN Smith wrote:
>
>> I have 2.59.3 (20190815 build) installed on a virtual machine along
>> with a stock 2.43 installation of KeePass, and everything working
>> correctly, especially the auto-type function.
>>

> Let's cut rest of stuff, time is only moving forward so should I.
> Then could you please tell me how you are making Seamonkey 2.59.3 to
> integrate with stock KeePass ?

Nothing that I'm doing, other than simply installing a copy and seeing
how the two interact.  I'm not a developer, just a user.

Smith

0
NFN
9/23/2019 4:37:55 PM
Szymon Stryczek wrote:
> Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:
>
>> You have your versions mixed up. 2.53 is basically based on 56 but with many
>> backports. Add-On compatibility is not so much a problem here. There might
>> be some breaking because of bookmark api changes and older js featurces
>> removed but overall they should be fine if they are not totally ancient.
>
> That is the case, to be exact (to the level I understand SM):
> Passifox - fails because of password api deprecation
> keepasshttp-connector - some other Firefox vs Seamonkey diffs (like toolbars
> to put icons and so one...) that can no longer be solved with converters like
> http://addonconverter.fotokraina.com/
>
> Szymon

You realize that you can make new toolbars with SeaMonkey, right?  Does that
extension not put a toolbar button in the customize window?

0
EE
9/23/2019 4:57:36 PM
EE wrote:
> Szymon Stryczek wrote:
>> Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:

>> keepasshttp-connector - some other Firefox vs Seamonkey diffs (like
>> toolbars to put icons and so one...) that can no longer be solved with
>> converters like http://addonconverter.fotokraina.com/
>>

> You realize that you can make new toolbars with SeaMonkey, right?  Does
> that extension not put a toolbar button in the customize window?

I do, but it is simply not there.
I'll just wait for either some other version or me myself finally take
time to learn and code it.

Thank you.

Szymon
0
Szymon
9/26/2019 8:22:43 AM
Szymon Stryczek wrote:
> EE wrote:
>> Szymon Stryczek wrote:
>>> Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:
>
>>> keepasshttp-connector - some other Firefox vs Seamonkey diffs (like
>>> toolbars to put icons and so one...) that can no longer be solved
>>> with converters like http://addonconverter.fotokraina.com/
>>>

>> You realize that you can make new toolbars with SeaMonkey, right?
>> Does that extension not put a toolbar button in the customize window?
>>

> I do, but it is simply not there.
> I'll just wait for either some other version or me myself finally take
> time to learn and code it.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Szymon
Windows 10
SM 2.53a1
User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:56.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.53a1
Build identifier: 20170731233559
KeePass 2.43

I too tried to get keepasshttp-connector to work, but it didn't put a
button in the customize window.
Would like to figure out any way to get KP to work with SM.  Any ideas?

Cheers

0
Mark
9/26/2019 9:11:37 PM
Mark B wrote:

> Windows 10
> SM 2.53a1
> User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:56.0)
> Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.53a1
> Build identifier: 20170731233559
> KeePass 2.43
>
> I too tried to get keepasshttp-connector to work, but it didn't put a
> button in the customize window.
> Would like to figure out any way to get KP to work with SM.  Any ideas?

For now I can only see use of Autotype feature of KeePass.
It is not a real integration, just KeePass feature to simulate keyboard
action on any currently active window after you press choosen keyboard
shortcut.
With WebAutoType plugin Keepass recognizes entries by url quite well,
but autotype is ... not exactly what I need...

Szymon
0
Szymon