SeaMonkey 2.15 Update Lost E-mail Files

On both my and my wife's PCs, we have used SeaMonkey since it first 
became available.  On my wife's PC, running XP-Home, fully updated, 
SeaMonkey 2.15 automatically installed itself a day or so ago.  The 
latest Java update also installed itself the same day.

When the machine was booted this morning, the e-mail menu and icons that 
used to come up were missing and SeaMonkey called for a new e-mail 
account to be set up.  Other than the missing e-mail menus, everything 
else in SeaMonkey seems to be working properly.  This situation reminds 
me of a previous SeaMonkey upgrade where the bookmarks files went missing.

As I go back to the MS-DOS days, I looked at the hard drive file 
structure and it looks like both the e-mail and bookmarks files are, in 
fact, still sitting on the hard drive in their proper positions.

1)  Can someone explain to me in simple language what may have gone wrong?

2)  Can some kind soul tell me in a step-by-step 'fix it for dummies' 
style how to get the e-mail working again?

3)  Ditto for restoring the bookmarks files.

Thanks, in advance, for any and all assistance.
0
HenriK
1/17/2013 9:45:53 PM
mozilla.support.seamonkey 13238 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

10 Replies
429 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 30

HenriK wrote:
> On both my and my wife's PCs, we have used SeaMonkey since it first
> became available.  On my wife's PC, running XP-Home, fully updated,
> SeaMonkey 2.15 automatically installed itself a day or so ago.  The
> latest Java update also installed itself the same day.
>
> When the machine was booted this morning, the e-mail menu and icons that
> used to come up were missing and SeaMonkey called for a new e-mail
> account to be set up.  Other than the missing e-mail menus, everything
> else in SeaMonkey seems to be working properly.  This situation reminds
> me of a previous SeaMonkey upgrade where the bookmarks files went missing.
>
> As I go back to the MS-DOS days, I looked at the hard drive file
> structure and it looks like both the e-mail and bookmarks files are, in
> fact, still sitting on the hard drive in their proper positions.
>
> 1)  Can someone explain to me in simple language what may have gone wrong?
>
> 2)  Can some kind soul tell me in a step-by-step 'fix it for dummies'
> style how to get the e-mail working again?
>
> 3)  Ditto for restoring the bookmarks files.
>
> Thanks, in advance, for any and all assistance.

Henrik, first off, in SeaMonkey have a look at Tools->Switch Profiles 
and select "Default".Does your missing profile stuff show up now??

If not, having found your mail and bookmarks files (you are aware that 
you bookmarks and other stuff are now stored in a file called 
places.sqlite aren't you??), you can make yourself a new profile and 
point it at these found files, e.g., if you found your bookmarks file at 
something like C:\Documents and Settings\Seamonkey\profile\bookmarks and 
your emails at C:\Documents and Settings\Seamonkey\profile\mail\inbox, 
what you want to do is set up a new profile at C:\Documents and 
Settings\Seamonkey\profile\

Go to Tools->Switch Profiles, select Manage Profiles and Create Profile 
and, on the second screen, call it "TWO" (or whatever) and then click on 
"Choose Folder..." and make your way to C:\Documents and 
Settings\Seamonkey\profile. Click O.K. and, hopefully, it will pick up 
you bookmarks (places.sqlite) and mail profile and away you go......

Hopefully.....

-- 
Daniel

Happy New Year and may 2013 be better for you than 2012 was!!


0
Daniel
1/18/2013 11:15:42 AM
HenriK wrote:

> SeaMonkey 2.15 automatically installed itself a day or so ago.  The
> latest Java update also installed itself the same day.
>
> When the machine was booted this morning, the e-mail menu and icons that
> used to come up were missing and SeaMonkey called for a new e-mail
> account to be set up.

BROKEN RECORD ALERT!!!

Put the profile(s) in their own tree away from the app(s).

Put the mail files in their own tree away from both apps and profiles.

Give your profile(s) names that are meaningful to you.

The name and location of all the above as well as apps is arbitrary. 
Put them where you want, name them what you want.

Create a shortcut that has the target in the form of:
X:\SM214-Win\seamonkey.exe -Profilemanager
When you activate that shortcut a menu of available profiles will open. 
  After adding or replacing a Mozilla product the profile you have been 
using will probably be on that menu.  In the event it is not, select 
create new profile, and set that "new" profile to use the sub-directory 
that contains your standard profile.

My mail files started life in Netscape.  I have used this system since 
then.  To lose mail I must loose a partition, not just do a simple app 
change.  And I have had as many as twenty versions of SM, on the HDD, 
using the same profile when I was looking for the date/time of a bug 
insertion.

Ray

0
Ray
1/18/2013 4:48:16 PM
Daniel wrote:
> HenriK wrote:
>> On both my and my wife's PCs, we have used SeaMonkey since it first
>> became available.  On my wife's PC, running XP-Home, fully updated,
>> SeaMonkey 2.15 automatically installed itself a day or so ago.  The
>> latest Java update also installed itself the same day.
>>
>> When the machine was booted this morning, the e-mail menu and icons that
>> used to come up were missing and SeaMonkey called for a new e-mail
>> account to be set up.  Other than the missing e-mail menus, everything
>> else in SeaMonkey seems to be working properly.  This situation reminds
>> me of a previous SeaMonkey upgrade where the bookmarks files went
>> missing.
>>
>> As I go back to the MS-DOS days, I looked at the hard drive file
>> structure and it looks like both the e-mail and bookmarks files are, in
>> fact, still sitting on the hard drive in their proper positions.
>>
>> 1)  Can someone explain to me in simple language what may have gone
>> wrong?
>>
>> 2)  Can some kind soul tell me in a step-by-step 'fix it for dummies'
>> style how to get the e-mail working again?
>>
>> 3)  Ditto for restoring the bookmarks files.
>>
>> Thanks, in advance, for any and all assistance.
>
> Henrik, first off, in SeaMonkey have a look at Tools->Switch Profiles
> and select "Default".Does your missing profile stuff show up now??
>
> If not, having found your mail and bookmarks files (you are aware that
> you bookmarks and other stuff are now stored in a file called
> places.sqlite aren't you??), you can make yourself a new profile and
> point it at these found files, e.g., if you found your bookmarks file at
> something like C:\Documents and Settings\Seamonkey\profile\bookmarks and
> your emails at C:\Documents and Settings\Seamonkey\profile\mail\inbox,
> what you want to do is set up a new profile at C:\Documents and
> Settings\Seamonkey\profile\
>
> Go to Tools->Switch Profiles, select Manage Profiles and Create Profile
> and, on the second screen, call it "TWO" (or whatever) and then click on
> "Choose Folder..." and make your way to C:\Documents and
> Settings\Seamonkey\profile. Click O.K. and, hopefully, it will pick up
> you bookmarks (places.sqlite) and mail profile and away you go......
>
> Hopefully.....
>
Thank you for your insights.  The 'switch profiles' idea didn't work 
because there wasn't a default profile, only my wife's profile.  While 
it was listed, trying to select it didn't do anything.

I didn't know about the 'places.sqlite' so thank you for the pointer.  I 
do know where all of the mail files are located.

I am a bit confused when you say 'make yourself a new profile', but I 
believe I understand your instructions and will try to follow them shortly.


0
HenriK
1/19/2013 5:12:23 AM
Ray Davison wrote:
> HenriK wrote:
>
>> SeaMonkey 2.15 automatically installed itself a day or so ago.  The
>> latest Java update also installed itself the same day.
>>
>> When the machine was booted this morning, the e-mail menu and icons that
>> used to come up were missing and SeaMonkey called for a new e-mail
>> account to be set up.
>
> BROKEN RECORD ALERT!!!
>
> Put the profile(s) in their own tree away from the app(s).
>
> Put the mail files in their own tree away from both apps and profiles.
>
> Give your profile(s) names that are meaningful to you.
>
> The name and location of all the above as well as apps is arbitrary. Put
> them where you want, name them what you want.
>
> Create a shortcut that has the target in the form of:
> X:\SM214-Win\seamonkey.exe -Profilemanager
> When you activate that shortcut a menu of available profiles will open.
>   After adding or replacing a Mozilla product the profile you have been
> using will probably be on that menu.  In the event it is not, select
> create new profile, and set that "new" profile to use the sub-directory
> that contains your standard profile.
>
> My mail files started life in Netscape.  I have used this system since
> then.  To lose mail I must loose a partition, not just do a simple app
> change.  And I have had as many as twenty versions of SM, on the HDD,
> using the same profile when I was looking for the date/time of a bug
> insertion.
>
> Ray
>
Thank you for your suggestions.  I still don't understand how SM v.2.15 
managed to lose its connection to the existing profile but maybe that is 
not important.

If I understand your suggestion correctly, you are telling me to have a 
'standard' profile stored somewhere so it can be used to create a new 
profile whenever this problem reoccurs.  Other than losing the bookmarks 
several upgrades ago, I have never seen SeaMonkey lose an e-mail profile 
during an upgrade -- and we have been using SeaMonkey since it evolved 
from the Mozilla Suite.
0
HenriK
1/19/2013 5:20:17 AM
On 01/17/2013 01:45 PM, HenriK wrote:
> On both my and my wife's PCs, we have used SeaMonkey since it first 
> became available.  On my wife's PC, running XP-Home, fully updated, 
> SeaMonkey 2.15 automatically installed itself a day or so ago.  The 
> latest Java update also installed itself the same day.
> 
> When the machine was booted this morning, the e-mail menu and icons that 
> used to come up were missing and SeaMonkey called for a new e-mail 
> account to be set up.  Other than the missing e-mail menus, everything 
> else in SeaMonkey seems to be working properly.  This situation reminds 
> me of a previous SeaMonkey upgrade where the bookmarks files went missing.
> 
> As I go back to the MS-DOS days, I looked at the hard drive file 
> structure and it looks like both the e-mail and bookmarks files are, in 
> fact, still sitting on the hard drive in their proper positions.
> 
> 1)  Can someone explain to me in simple language what may have gone wrong?
> 
> 2)  Can some kind soul tell me in a step-by-step 'fix it for dummies' 
> style how to get the e-mail working again?

Check your C:\Documents and Settings\gg\Application
Data\Mozilla\SeaMonkey profiles.ini file. That file tells SM which
profile to use on startup. Example:

[General]
StartWithLastProfile=1

[Profile0]
Name=default
IsRelative=1
Path=Profiles/xyz.default

Within the
C:\Documents and Settings\x\Application
Data\Mozilla\SeaMonkey\Profiles\xyz.default
is the prefs.js file. That file tells SM where your email/news/etc files
are located. Check to see if you have a backup of that file. If not, you
can edit with Wordpad or similar to point to xyz.default.

The alternative is to create a new profile, then in
Edit|Mail and News...|emailaccount|Server Settings|Local directory:
and point that to:

C:\Documents and Settings\x\Application
Data\Mozilla\SeaMonkey\Profiles\xyz.default\Mail\pop.xyz (if pop account)

Do the same for News etc.

This is the same as if you were to move the files to a different system
& need to use the same mail folders etc. You can do a mass find &
replace in prefs.js to point to the new location/profile.

> 
> 3)  Ditto for restoring the bookmarks files.

Thanks to Rob in my 'SM 2.15 (linux) bookmarks missing' thread:

"Just remove places.sqlite* and it will be imported from your last
backup or from whatever source you manually import it."

> 
> Thanks, in advance, for any and all assistance.
> 

Good luck.


0
NoOp
1/19/2013 6:59:48 PM
HenriK wrote:

> If I understand your suggestion correctly, you are telling me to
> have a 'standard' profile stored somewhere so it can be used to
> create a new profile whenever this problem reoccurs.

Not quite.  What I referred to as "standard" is the profile I normally
use for all versions of SM under both Win and eCS-OS/2 - yes the same
physical files.  "Recovery" is just setting Profilemanager to use that
set of files.  And since I have all data in their own trees, away from
the apps, nothing that an install, overwrite or delete of the app does
can effect data.

And, do keep copies of the profile and mail somewhere else.  There are 
multiple ways to make a mess of them, and it is nice to be able to back 
to maybe last week rather than start over.

> I still don't understand how SM v.2.15 managed to lose its connection
> to the existing profile

> I have never seen SeaMonkey lose an e-mail profile during an upgrade
> -- and we have been using SeaMonkey since it evolved from the Mozilla
> Suite.

But it does seem to be at least a weekly occurrence on this list.   One 
other thing, I never use the EXE "installer".  I always get the ZIP 
distribution, unzip it to somewhere I want it, create a shortcut 
referencing Profilemanager, and try it.  New distros don't always work. 
  I don't discard an app or OS until I am happy with the replacement.

Ray






0
Ray
1/26/2013 7:58:31 PM
NoOp wrote:
> On 01/17/2013 01:45 PM, HenriK wrote:
>> On both my and my wife's PCs, we have used SeaMonkey since it first
>> became available.  On my wife's PC, running XP-Home, fully updated,
>> SeaMonkey 2.15 automatically installed itself a day or so ago.  The
>> latest Java update also installed itself the same day.
>>
>> When the machine was booted this morning, the e-mail menu and icons that
>> used to come up were missing and SeaMonkey called for a new e-mail
>> account to be set up.  Other than the missing e-mail menus, everything
>> else in SeaMonkey seems to be working properly.  This situation reminds
>> me of a previous SeaMonkey upgrade where the bookmarks files went missing.
>>
>> As I go back to the MS-DOS days, I looked at the hard drive file
>> structure and it looks like both the e-mail and bookmarks files are, in
>> fact, still sitting on the hard drive in their proper positions.
>>
>> 1)  Can someone explain to me in simple language what may have gone wrong?
>>
>> 2)  Can some kind soul tell me in a step-by-step 'fix it for dummies'
>> style how to get the e-mail working again?
>
> Check your C:\Documents and Settings\gg\Application
> Data\Mozilla\SeaMonkey profiles.ini file. That file tells SM which
> profile to use on startup. Example:
>
> [General]
> StartWithLastProfile=1
>
> [Profile0]
> Name=default
> IsRelative=1
> Path=Profiles/xyz.default
>
> Within the
> C:\Documents and Settings\x\Application
> Data\Mozilla\SeaMonkey\Profiles\xyz.default
> is the prefs.js file. That file tells SM where your email/news/etc files
> are located. Check to see if you have a backup of that file. If not, you
> can edit with Wordpad or similar to point to xyz.default.
>
> The alternative is to create a new profile, then in
> Edit|Mail and News...|emailaccount|Server Settings|Local directory:
> and point that to:
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\x\Application
> Data\Mozilla\SeaMonkey\Profiles\xyz.default\Mail\pop.xyz (if pop account)
>
> Do the same for News etc.
>
> This is the same as if you were to move the files to a different system
> & need to use the same mail folders etc. You can do a mass find &
> replace in prefs.js to point to the new location/profile.
>
>>
>> 3)  Ditto for restoring the bookmarks files.
>
> Thanks to Rob in my 'SM 2.15 (linux) bookmarks missing' thread:
>
> "Just remove places.sqlite* and it will be imported from your last
> backup or from whatever source you manually import it."
>
>>
>> Thanks, in advance, for any and all assistance.
>>
>
> Good luck.
>
>
Thank you so much for the guidance, particularly with regard to the 
prefs.js file.  I didn't know what the file did.  I found a copy of 
prefs.js on a tape back-up from six months ago, copied it, and plugged 
it in.  Suddenly, my wife's e-mail files all returned to normal.

You appear to think I know more than I actually do.  While I know how to 
manually copy files from particular directories (folders) and 
sub-directories (sub-folders) and paste them where I want to put them 
(from my MS-DOS days), I have never really understood how Windows works. 
  I didn't understand your instructions for retrieving the bookmarks 
files.  Do I just copy places.sqlite from an old back up and paste it 
into the profile, overwriting whatever file with the same name is there? 
  I really do need guidance is a rather elementary form.  Thanks, in 
advance, for any additional assistance.
0
user
1/27/2013 3:30:20 AM
user@domain.invalid wrote:

> You appear to think I know more than I actually do.  While I know how to
> manually copy files from particular directories (folders) and
> sub-directories (sub-folders) and paste them where I want to put them
> (from my MS-DOS days), I have never really understood how Windows works.
>   I didn't understand your instructions for retrieving the bookmarks
> files.  Do I just copy places.sqlite from an old back up and paste it
> into the profile, overwriting whatever file with the same name is there?
>   I really do need guidance is a rather elementary form.  Thanks, in
> advance, for any additional assistance.

Best practices:

1) Close SeaMonkey. This ensures that a) any files you want to 
manipulate are not locked as "in use"; and b) any files you manipulate 
are not overwritten by SeaMonkey's normal shutdown process.

2) Rename the problem file, for example, as places.sqlite.bad, so you 
have the option of restoring it later in case the proposed solution 
doesn't work.

3) Copy the replacement file (from your backup) to the same folder where 
the problem file resides.

4) Restart SeaMonkey and see if it worked. If not, close SM, delete the 
replacement file, and unrename the original file, so you're back where 
you started.

If you have several backups of various ages, start with the most recent 
one. If it doesn't help, close SM and try the next newest, working your 
way backward through the backups until you come to one that does work. 
In that case, don't bother deleting the replacement file and renaming 
the problem file; just overwrite each replacement file with the next 
attempt.

Hope that's clear and helpful.


-- 
War doesn't determine who's right, just who's left.
--
Paul B. Gallagher
0
Paul
1/27/2013 4:55:08 AM
On 01/26/2013 07:30 PM, user@domain.invalid wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
....
>>> 3)  Ditto for restoring the bookmarks files.
>>
>> Thanks to Rob in my 'SM 2.15 (linux) bookmarks missing' thread:
>>
>> "Just remove places.sqlite* and it will be imported from your last
>> backup or from whatever source you manually import it."
>>
>>>
>>> Thanks, in advance, for any and all assistance.
>>>
>>
>> Good luck.
>>
>>
> Thank you so much for the guidance, particularly with regard to the 
> prefs.js file.  I didn't know what the file did.  I found a copy of 
> prefs.js on a tape back-up from six months ago, copied it, and plugged 
> it in.  Suddenly, my wife's e-mail files all returned to normal.
> 
> You appear to think I know more than I actually do.  While I know how to 
> manually copy files from particular directories (folders) and 
> sub-directories (sub-folders) and paste them where I want to put them 
> (from my MS-DOS days), I have never really understood how Windows works. 

: I've forgotten as well... I use linux. :-0

>   I didn't understand your instructions for retrieving the bookmarks 
> files.  Do I just copy places.sqlite from an old back up and paste it 
> into the profile, overwriting whatever file with the same name is there? 


Do (partially) as Paul said; close SeaMonkey, rename the places.sqlite
(places.sqlite_old will do). Restart SeaMonkey. SeaMonkey should then
(thanks again Rob) restore the bookmarks from the last daily backup. If
that doesn't work, then post back.

>   I really do need guidance is a rather elementary form.  Thanks, in 
> advance, for any additional assistance.
> 

0
NoOp
1/28/2013 3:04:49 AM
NoOp wrote:

> Do (partially) as Paul said; close SeaMonkey, rename the
> places.sqlite (places.sqlite_old will do). Restart SeaMonkey.
> SeaMonkey should then (thanks again Rob) restore the bookmarks from
> the last daily backup. If that doesn't work, then post back.

This assumes -- and in the absence of any evidence I can't guess either 
way -- that the OP has been running SeaMonkey's own backup so SM will 
know where to look. If his backups are from another source, such as a 
system backup program, he will have to restore places.sqlite manually 
from that source or use its own restore feature.

-- 
War doesn't determine who's right, just who's left.
--
Paul B. Gallagher

0
Paul
1/28/2013 5:20:09 AM
Reply: