SeaMonkey 1.1.18 vs SeaMonkey 2.1 (if/when 2.1 is released)

I will clearly state that I am not a computer whiz...thus, I have a
number of concerns regarding SeaMonkey 2.0 installation on my system.

I have been reading the many SeaMonkey 2.0 messages on this newsgroup
with some concern about my ability to fix the problems that could occur
with the installation of 2.0.  It seems that the move from 1.1.18 to 2.0
is not happening without a number of glitches along the way.  Thus, in
light of what I have read, I am wondering if it would wise for me to
wait for a future release of SeaMonkey before upgrading my system...I
suppose I am hoping that some changes will be incorporated into a future
upgrade, that would make the move go more smoothly.  Any comments would
be appreciated.

Also, a list of actions to take, or not to take, during the
installation of 2.0 would also be very helpful...just in case I get
brave enough to proceed with the 2.0 installation.

Note:

Windows XP Pro SP3

I have always allowed previous SeaMonkey installations to be loaded
using default locations.  I suppose that I do have concerns about what
happens to the plug I have downloaded.

I only have one profile on my system.

Frog
0
Frog
11/11/2009 9:51:13 PM
mozilla.support.seamonkey 13269 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Frog wrote:
> I will clearly state that I am not a computer whiz...thus, I have a
> number of concerns regarding SeaMonkey 2.0 installation on my system.
>
> I have been reading the many SeaMonkey 2.0 messages on this newsgroup
> with some concern about my ability to fix the problems that could occur
> with the installation of 2.0.  It seems that the move from 1.1.18 to 2.0
> is not happening without a number of glitches along the way.  Thus, in
> light of what I have read, I am wondering if it would wise for me to
> wait for a future release of SeaMonkey before upgrading my system...I
> suppose I am hoping that some changes will be incorporated into a future
> upgrade, that would make the move go more smoothly.  Any comments would
> be appreciated.
>
> Also, a list of actions to take, or not to take, during the
> installation of 2.0 would also be very helpful...just in case I get
> brave enough to proceed with the 2.0 installation.
>
> Note:
>
> Windows XP Pro SP3
>
> I have always allowed previous SeaMonkey installations to be loaded
> using default locations.  I suppose that I do have concerns about what
> happens to the plug I have downloaded.
>
> I only have one profile on my system.
>

> Frog
There are a few add ons that won't work.
The two that I know of are:
Tabbrowser Extension and Extension Mgr

Mike C
0
Mike
11/12/2009 1:00:56 AM
Mike C wrote:
> Frog wrote:
>> I will clearly state that I am not a computer whiz...thus, I have a
>> number of concerns regarding SeaMonkey 2.0 installation on my system.
>>
>> I have been reading the many SeaMonkey 2.0 messages on this newsgroup
>> with some concern about my ability to fix the problems that could occur
>> with the installation of 2.0.  It seems that the move from 1.1.18 to
>> 2.0 is not happening without a number of glitches along the way.
>> Thus, in light of what I have read, I am wondering if it would wise
>> for me to wait for a future release of SeaMonkey before upgrading my
>> system...I suppose I am hoping that some changes will be incorporated
>> into a future upgrade, that would make the move go more smoothly.  Any
>> comments would be appreciated.
>>
>> Also, a list of actions to take, or not to take, during the
>> installation of 2.0 would also be very helpful...just in case I get
>> brave enough to proceed with the 2.0 installation.
>>
>> Note:
>>
>> Windows XP Pro SP3
>>
>> I have always allowed previous SeaMonkey installations to be loaded
>> using default locations.  I suppose that I do have concerns about what
>> happens to the plug I have downloaded.
>>
>> I only have one profile on my system.
>>

>> Frog
> There are a few add ons that won't work.
> The two that I know of are:
> Tabbrowser Extension and Extension Mgr
>
> Mike C

First, I think it would be more fair to say that few add-ons are yet
available for SM 2.0. I think this is quite normal, give some time to
the authors to do the necessary changes for those add ons which remain
relevant and to create new ones specifically designed for SM 2.0

second, I think it is always advisable to wait some time before changing
versions. SM 2.0 is not an upgrade. So, if you are not to comfortable
with this, waiting for an update of SM 2.0 might be wise.

On the other hand, problems which might occur moving from your previous
version to SM 2.0 are likely to occur too while moving to an updated
version, since I believe a good part of them are related to the import
of profile. This was my case, the installer was not able to import my
profile (probably because it slowly evolved from the Netscape days) and
this was actually an opportunity to do some house cleaning by starting
afresh.

Among the things you can do to protect yourself which do not require
much expertise, I would suggest: zipping up your *whole* profile and
seamonkey directories after setting your zip program so that *it records
the paths* of files and storing the zipped files in a safe place.

If something goes very wrong when you install the new version, then it
is only a matter of uninstalling it, deleting the profile folder and the
program folder, and restoring where they belong the original profile and
program folders by unzipping the zipped files. No need to mess with the
registry.

There are many other ways to proceed, but this one does not require any
program you do not have on your machine and nor a lot of expertise.
Whichever way you choose, do not rely on trusting "default locations". I
believe it is indispensible to make note of what they are before doing
anything.

Just my two cents ...

--
John Doue
0
On Nov 11, 3:51=A0pm, Frog <f...@pond.com> wrote:
> I will clearly state that I am not a computer whiz...thus, I have a
> number of concerns regarding SeaMonkey 2.0 installation on my system.
>
> I have been reading the many SeaMonkey 2.0 messages on this newsgroup
> with some concern about my ability to fix the problems that could occur
> with the installation of 2.0. =A0It seems that the move from 1.1.18 to 2.=
0
> is not happening without a number of glitches along the way. =A0Thus, in
> light of what I have read, I am wondering if it would wise for me to
> wait for a future release of SeaMonkey before upgrading my system...I
> suppose I am hoping that some changes will be incorporated into a future
> upgrade, that would make the move go more smoothly. =A0Any comments would
> be appreciated.
>
> Also, a list of actions to take, or not to take, during the
> installation of 2.0 would also be very helpful...just in case I get
> brave enough to proceed with the 2.0 installation.
>
> Note:
>
> Windows XP Pro SP3
>
> I have always allowed previous SeaMonkey installations to be loaded
> using default locations. =A0I suppose that I do have concerns about what
> happens to the plug I have downloaded.
>
> I only have one profile on my system.
>
> Frog

Hi there. I have read recently that when installing 2.0 don't install
the the same directory as version 1.1.18 or it will disable the
application and both versions will be disabled. Install 2.0 into a
different directory or the default install settings location in the
install program. Also, It may be wise to first uninstall the earlier
version before installing 2.0 because this is what happened to me,
although my SM2.0 works properly, the earlier version of Seamonkey is
still in my computer and in my windows quicklaunch. I just keep both
versions in my computer until I find out if uninstalling the older
version will disable the newer version. The version 2.0 may not be an
upgrade but an entirely independent program.
0
lookatdesktop
11/12/2009 5:08:37 PM
Mike C wrote:
> There are a few add ons that won't work.
> The two that I know of are:
> Tabbrowser Extension and Extension Mgr

You don't need the crappy Extension Manager extension anymore. SeaMonkey
has its own manager now.
0
Benoit
11/12/2009 7:14:10 PM
John Doue wrote:
> First, I think it would be more fair to say that few add-ons are yet
> available for SM 2.0. I think this is quite normal, give some time to
> the authors to do the necessary changes for those add ons which remain
> relevant and to create new ones specifically designed for SM 2.0

They've had plenty of time already. Starting with the beta, there was a
feature freeze, and that's when they could have started their work.

I'm partially guilty of not being on time as well, as my extension
installs and works properly since a long time ago, but there's a small
visual problem.

Then again, I /am/ working on the next major version.

> Among the things you can do to protect yourself which do not require
> much expertise, I would suggest: zipping up your *whole* profile and
> seamonkey directories after setting your zip program so that *it records
> the paths* of files and storing the zipped files in a safe place.

There's no need to save the program folder. You can just reinstall
SeaMonkey from the installer.
0
Benoit
11/12/2009 7:21:17 PM
Frog wrote:
> Thus, in light of what I have read, I am wondering if it would wise for
> me to wait for a future release of SeaMonkey before upgrading my
> system...I suppose I am hoping that some changes will be incorporated
> into a future upgrade, that would make the move go more smoothly.  Any
> comments would be appreciated.

You may want to wait for some minor release, e.g. SeaMonkey 2.0.1 or
2.0.2. You should not wait for SeaMonkey 2.1, though, since that one
will probably give a worse migration experience (AFAIK the ability to
migrate download history will be removed in that version).

HTH

Jens

--
Jens Hatlak <http://jens.hatlak.de/>
SeaMonkey Trunk Tracker <http://smtt.blogspot.com/>
Benoit Renard wrote:
snip

> There's no need to save the program folder. You can just reinstall
> SeaMonkey from the installer.

I disagree. If you do not, chances are you will lose most of the add-ons
you installed.
--
John Doue
0

>> Thus, in light of what I have read, I am wondering if it would wise for
>> me to wait for a future release of SeaMonkey before upgrading my
>> system...I suppose I am hoping that some changes will be incorporated
>> into a future upgrade, that would make the move go more smoothly.  Any
>> comments would be appreciated.
>
> You may want to wait for some minor release, e.g. SeaMonkey 2.0.1 or
> 2.0.2. You should not wait for SeaMonkey 2.1, though, since that one
> will probably give a worse migration experience (AFAIK the ability to
> migrate download history will be removed in that version).

Is there an ETA for the next version (minor or major)?
--
"If you're an ant, and you're walking along across the top of a cup of
pudding, you probably have no idea that the only thing between you and
     \ _ /         Nuke ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
      ( )                                           or ANTant@zimage.com
Ant
11/13/2009 3:19:22 PM
Ant wrote:
> Is there an ETA for the next version (minor or major)?

Minor: Next month I'd say (KaiRo is on vacation until the 29th). Major:
No ETA whatsoever.

HTH

Jens

--
Jens Hatlak <http://jens.hatlak.de/>
SeaMonkey Trunk Tracker <http://smtt.blogspot.com/>
0
Jens
11/13/2009 5:18:06 PM
On 11/13/2009 9:18 AM PT, Jens Hatlak typed:

> Ant wrote:
>> Is there an ETA for the next version (minor or major)?
>
> Minor: Next month I'd say (KaiRo is on vacation until the 29th). Major:
> No ETA whatsoever.

Thanks Jens. :)
--
"Oh bother", said Winnie the Pooh, "There's an ant on my foot..."
    /\___/\
     \ _ /         Nuke ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
      ( )                                           or ANTant@zimage.com
Ant
11/13/2009 5:47:00 PM
Frog wrote:
> I will clearly state that I am not a computer whiz...thus, I have a
> number of concerns regarding SeaMonkey 2.0 installation on my system.
>
> I have been reading the many SeaMonkey 2.0 messages on this newsgroup
> with some concern about my ability to fix the problems that could occur
> with the installation of 2.0.  It seems that the move from 1.1.18 to 2.0
> is not happening without a number of glitches along the way.  Thus, in
> light of what I have read, I am wondering if it would wise for me to
> wait for a future release of SeaMonkey before upgrading my system...I
> suppose I am hoping that some changes will be incorporated into a future
> upgrade, that would make the move go more smoothly.  Any comments would
> be appreciated.
>
> Also, a list of actions to take, or not to take, during the
> installation of 2.0 would also be very helpful...just in case I get
> brave enough to proceed with the 2.0 installation.
>
> Note:
>
> Windows XP Pro SP3
>
> I have always allowed previous SeaMonkey installations to be loaded
> using default locations.  I suppose that I do have concerns about what
> happens to the plug I have downloaded.
>
> I only have one profile on my system.
>

> Frog

Thanks for the comments and recommendations.  I have been reading your
replies, and those found here on this newsgroup, most of today. I now
conclude that this is not the time for me to make a move to SM 2.0...as
  SM 1.1.18 is not giving me any problems, and a move to SM2 could lead
to problems. I will continue to read the exchanges here on this
newsgroup, and hope that my confidence will grow to the point where I
believe I can make the move to SM2.  I am sure that I will have more
questions, as that move nears.  Also, I hope that a future modification
will make the move from SM1 to SM2 happen more smoothly...what are the
chances?

Again, thanks to all for responding to my call for help.

Frog
0
Frog

Same profile in Seamonkey 2.4.1 and Seamonkey 2.6.1 ?
Hi, I will switch a computer from windows to linux and from Seamonkey 2.6.1 to Seamonkey 2.4.1 (I don't know why Ubuntu only have 2.6.1 on Precise alpha release). I think there no big differences between these two releases that will bring bug into profile. Am I false? On my computer I directly use Seamonkey from Mozilla, on that computer I don't want to have work, so I only keep Ubuntu repositories. -- Sorry for possible mistakes in English! http://pasdenom.info/ St�phane Gr�goire wrote: > Hi, > > I will switch a computer from windows to linux and...

SeaMonkey 1.1.1 and 1.0.8 he-IL #2
Hebrew SeaMonkey 1.1.1 and 1.0.8 win32 installer and langpack are now available. 1.1.1 win32 installer: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/hebmoz/seamonkey-1.1.1.he-IL.win32.installer.exe?use_mirror=osdn 1.1.1 langpack: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/hebmoz/seamonkey-1.1.1.he-IL.langpack.xpi?use_mirror=osdn 1.0.8 win32 installer: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/hebmoz/seamonkey-1.0.8.he-IL.win32.installer.exe?use_mirror=osdn 1.0.8 langpack: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/hebmoz/seamonkey-1.0.8.he-IL.langpack.xpi?use_mirror=osdn the language packs should be used with the...

SeaMonkey 2.1
An increasing number of features are diverging between Gecko 1.9.2 and Gecko 1.9.3; this gives us a number of options, with pros and cons for each, but please don't consider this an exhaustive list. 1. Stick with 1.9.2 for now, don't use 1.9.3 features at all * Pro: We know what features we have to port * Con: Lots of catching up on trunk after comm-central forks/after releasing 2.1 2. Write code using feature detection for 1.9.3/backward compatibility for 1.9.2 * Pro: More flexible than any other option * Co...

Dropping 1.9.2, Going 1.9.3 for SeaMonkey 2.1
[re-post of http://home.kairo.at/blog/2010-02/dropping_1_9_2_going_1_9_3_for_seamonkey here in the groups/lists] I blogged on SeaMonkey 2.1 planning earlier in http://home.kairo.at/blog/2010-01/seamonkey_2_1_planning and also about the fact that we have been unsure if we should go 1.9.2 or 1.9.3 in terms of the platform there. I sent mails to the SeaMonkey Council and a few quite active developers in the last days, and asked for opinions on dropping support for 1.9.2 and going for firmly basing SeaMonkey 2.1 on Mozilla platform 1.9.3 instead. Nobody was really against th...

Build fails with seamonkey-1.0.1, seamonkey-1.0.2 and CVS sources under WinXP / VC8 Express
make output: ---------------------- make[4]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/c/mozilla/obj-i686-pc-cygwin' make[4]: `jpeg/Makefile' is up to date. make[4]: `modules/zlib/Makefile' is up to date. make[4]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/c/mozilla/obj-i686-pc-cygwin' make[4]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/c/mozilla/obj-i686-pc-cygwin/jpeg' jdapimin.c jdapistd.c Building deps for /cygdrive/c/mozilla/jpeg/jdapimin.c jdatasrc.c Building deps for /cygdrive/c/mozilla/jpeg/jdapistd.c jdatadst.c Building deps for /cygdrive/c/mozilla/jpeg/jdatasrc.c Building deps for /cygdr...

SeaMonkey 1.1.2 Released
""Yesterday, the SeaMonkey project released a new version of its all-in-one Internet suite. SeaMonkey 1.1.2 closes several security vulnerabilities and fixes several smaller problems found in previous versions. With that, SeaMonkey stays at the same level of security as its siblings Firefox and Thunderbird, which are issuing updates for the same problems this week as well."... <http://www.mozillazine.org/talkback.html?article=21919> -- js http://justheadlines.awardspace.com Yup ,using the zip version with no problems...:) ...

SeaMonkey 2.1 release candidate 1 available for OS/2
Hi, I've uploaded the first release candidate for the upcoming SeaMonkey 2.1. There were no OS/2 specific changes compared to the recently published beta 3. However, it should contain cross-platform fixes for bugs present in the beta. You can get it from here: http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/seamonkey/releases/2.1rc1/contrib/seamonkey-2.1rc1.en-US.os2.zip Have fun, Walter ...

Weird Window Configuration for SeaMonkey 1.1.1+ on eCS 1.2R and 2.0b4
I am running SM 1.1.1+ very successfully on eCS 1.1. I am trying to get eCS 1.2R and eCS 2.0b4 installed and customized on a different system. First, the problem: * When SM is started in either of the new environment, the window is very strange: - There is no menu bar across the top. Actually, it does appear to be there, I think it is just so thin that the words are not visible. The bar is obvously there, because there is a click-bar to make that narrow space disappear. Interestingly, the 'folded' or invisible bar moves to the ...

When starting SeaMonkey 2, SeaMonkey 1.1.13 is run
I installled SeaMonkey 2.a1 next to 1.1.13 All was well and pushing the 2.a1 short cut started SeaMonkey 2 At this moment the quick launch wasn't active (Windows) After reboot when the quick load is active, pushing the 2.a1 short cut starts 1.1.13 Even going to the 2.a1 install directory and pushing the SeaMonkey exe of 2.a1 starts 1.1.13. Is there a cure? -- [URL=http://users.kbc.skynet.be/fi001005] *Belgische Ardennen - Ardennes Belge [/URL] On Mon, 01 Dec 2008 10:14:39 +0100, Bernard Mercier wrote: > I installled SeaMonkey 2.a1 next to 1.1.13 > All was well...

problem with forms and gecko/SeaMonkey 1.1.1 #2

SeaMonkey 1.0.9 and 1.1.2 he-IL
hi, now that i have a job, i have very little time left for the l10n work. so these came out a little later than they should have. 1.1.2 ~~~~~ win32: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/hebmoz/seamonkey-1.1.2.he-IL.win32.installer.exe language pack: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/hebmoz/seamonkey-1.1.2.he-IL.langpack.xpi 1.0.9 ~~~~~ win32: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/hebmoz/seamonkey-1.0.9.he-IL.win32.installer.exe language pack: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/hebmoz/seamonkey-1.0.9.he-IL.langpack.xpi the language packs should be used with their respective RTL t...

SeaMonkey 1.0.9 and 1.1.2 in italian
Hi everyone, since kairo said we can start making builds based on the latest candidates, here there are the italian ones. If there'll be problem with the candidates, i'll make them again. 1.1.2: Installer: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/mozilla-italia/seamonkey-1.1.2.it-IT.win32.installer.exe Langpack: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/mozilla-italia/seamonkey-1.1.2.it-IT.langpack.xpi Zip: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/mozilla-italia/seamonkey-1.1.2.it-IT.win32.zip 1.0.9: Installer: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/mozilla-italia/seamonkey-1.0.9.it-IT.win32.i...

SeaMonkey 1.0.9 and 1.1.2 upcoming
Hi localizers, I'd like to give you a notice of our upcoming SeaMonkey 1.0.9 and 1.1.2 releases. Both are planned to go public in sync with the Firefox updates currently scheduled for next week, see their schedule at http://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox:1.5.0.12-2.0.0.4 Our candidate builds for those releases are here: http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/seamonkey/nightly/candidates-1.0.9/ http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/seamonkey/nightly/candidates-1.1.2/ From QA up till now, we believe that builds in those directories are ready to go final unchanged, so you shou...

From Netscape 7.1 to SeaMonkey 1.1.7 #2
All: I just migrated to SeaMonkey 1.1.7 from Netscape 7.1 All went great, except for sending e-mails. Everything appears to be set correctly but I get the popup for the smtp server refusing a connection. Go back to the Netscape client, check settings (still sends from NS client). Any ideas on what's going on ? Thanks Rodney Sampson wrote: > All: > I just migrated to SeaMonkey 1.1.7 from Netscape 7.1 > All went great, except for sending e-mails. > Everything appears to be set correctly but I get the popup for the > smtp server >...

Web resources about - SeaMonkey 1.1.18 vs SeaMonkey 2.1 (if/when 2.1 is released) - mozilla.support.seamonkey

The Hawaiian Seamonkey
Diving, eating, gardening, loving the Big Island of Hawaii

The SeaMonkey® Project
The SeaMonkey project is a community effort to develop the SeaMonkeyall-in-one internet application suite (see below).Such a software suite was ...

SeaMonkey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
cross-platform Internet suite . It is the continuation of the former Mozilla Application Suite , based on the same source code. Core Mozilla ...

Review: SeaMonkey 1.1.8 for the Mac
SeaMonkey 1.1.8, the Mozilla Foundation's all-in-one Internet application, combines browsing, e-mail, HTML editing, and IRC chat.

SeaMonkey 2.3 Beta 1 arrives for testing
Based on the same Gecko browser engine as Firefox 6, SeaMonkey 2.3 Beta 1 has been released for testing. It offers improvements to WebGL that ...

SeaMonkey Offers Browser, E-Mail, and Chat
... resuscitated a group of Internet tools built by Netscapewhose spin-off, Mozilla, brought out the popular Firefox Web browser. Renamed SeaMonkey ...

SeaMonkey, Mozilla's all-in-one Internet suite, releases new beta
The SeaMonkey Project has released SeaMonkey 2.1 Beta 3 , a version that makes a lot of new functionality available to a wide audience for the ...

SeaMonkey review
Browse the web, work with mail, chat in IRC and edit HTML

SeaMonkey 2.33
... advanced e-mail, newsgroup and feed client, IRC chat, and HTML editing made simple, all your Internet needs in one application. The SeaMonkey ...

Seamonkey 1.1 Released
stuuf writes "Version 1.1 of the Seamonkey Internet Application Suite is now available, with quite a few improvements over the 1.0 series. Some ...