Restart Extensions

I have tried two different extensions for doing a restart of SeaMonkey.
Neither quite provided the capabilities I want.

I tried Restart Application Button 53.0 at
<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/restart-application-button/?src=ss#id=690692>.
 When I used it, SeaMonkey restarted with a Web page that I had left and
not the last Web page I visited.  If I had several tabs open but closed
before selecting the Restart button, SeaMonkey restarted with those tabs
open again.

I then tried the Restart button for the Toolbar Buttons extension at the
list at
<https://codefisher.org/toolbar_button/toolbar_button_maker/en-US/suite/>.
 My normal setup is that JavaScript for the current tab is enabled, but
I can use PrefBar to disable it.  If I did indeed disable it, this
button failed to re-enable it on restarting SeaMonkey.

What I want is a button or menu item that, when selected, terminates and
restarts SeaMonkey with ALL my defaults restored (including preferences
from user.js) with the current Web pages (not prior pages) redisplayed.
Is there an extension for that?

-- 
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

First you say you do, and then you don't.
And then you say you will, but then won't.
You're undecided now, so what're you goin' to do?
                        From a 1950s song
That should be Donald Trump's theme song.  He obviously
does not understand "commitment", whether it is about
policy or marriage.
0
David
6/6/2018 2:48:41 AM
mozilla.support.seamonkey 13133 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

5 Replies
76 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 54

Tue, 5 Jun 2018 19:48:41 -0700, _David E. Ross_:

> I have tried two different extensions for doing a restart of SeaMonkey. 
> Neither quite provided the capabilities I want.
> 
> I tried Restart Application Button 53.0 at 
> <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/restart-application-button/?src=ss#id=690692>.
>   When I used it, SeaMonkey restarted with a Web page that I had left and 
> not the last Web page I visited. If I had several tabs open but closed 
> before selecting the Restart button, SeaMonkey restarted with those tabs 
> open again.

Not sure if it might be realted but � do you have 
"browser.sessionstore.interval" customized?

> I then tried the Restart button for the Toolbar Buttons extension at the 
> list at 
> <https://codefisher.org/toolbar_button/toolbar_button_maker/en-US/suite/>.
>   My normal setup is that JavaScript for the current tab is enabled, but 
> I can use PrefBar to disable it.  If I did indeed disable it, this 
> button failed to re-enable it on restarting SeaMonkey.
> 
> What I want is a button or menu item that, when selected, terminates and 
> restarts SeaMonkey with ALL my defaults restored (including preferences 
> from user.js) with the current Web pages (not prior pages) redisplayed. 
> Is there an extension for that?
0
Stanimir
6/6/2018 4:26:47 AM
On 6/5/2018 9:26 PM, Stanimir Stamenkov wrote:
> Tue, 5 Jun 2018 19:48:41 -0700, I previously wrote in part:
> 
>> I have tried two different extensions for doing a restart of SeaMonkey. 
>> Neither quite provided the capabilities I want.
>>
>> I tried Restart Application Button 53.0 at 
>> <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/restart-application-button/?src=ss#id=690692>.
>>   When I used it, SeaMonkey restarted with a Web page that I had left and 
>> not the last Web page I visited. If I had several tabs open but closed 
>> before selecting the Restart button, SeaMonkey restarted with those tabs 
>> open again.
> 
> Not sure if it might be realted but � do you have 
> "browser.sessionstore.interval" customized?

You seem to be correct.  I had that set at 5 minutes instead of the
default 15 seconds.  I am again trying Restart Application Button 53.0.
Resetting does not go as far back into history as it did before I reset
browser.sessionstore.interval to the default.

Thanks.

-- 
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

First you say you do, and then you don't.
And then you say you will, but then won't.
You're undecided now, so what're you goin' to do?
                        From a 1950s song
That should be Donald Trump's theme song.  He obviously
does not understand "commitment", whether it is about
policy or marriage.
0
David
6/6/2018 10:28:55 PM
On 6/6/2018 3:28 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
> On 6/5/2018 9:26 PM, Stanimir Stamenkov wrote:
>> Tue, 5 Jun 2018 19:48:41 -0700, I previously wrote in part:
>>
>>> I have tried two different extensions for doing a restart of SeaMonkey. 
>>> Neither quite provided the capabilities I want.
>>>
>>> I tried Restart Application Button 53.0 at 
>>> <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/restart-application-button/?src=ss#id=690692>.
>>>   When I used it, SeaMonkey restarted with a Web page that I had left and 
>>> not the last Web page I visited. If I had several tabs open but closed 
>>> before selecting the Restart button, SeaMonkey restarted with those tabs 
>>> open again.
>>
>> Not sure if it might be realted but � do you have 
>> "browser.sessionstore.interval" customized?
> 
> You seem to be correct.  I had that set at 5 minutes instead of the
> default 15 seconds.  I am again trying Restart Application Button 53.0.
> Resetting does not go as far back into history as it did before I reset
> browser.sessionstore.interval to the default.
> 
> Thanks.
> 

Unfortunately, Restart Application Button 53.0 does not restore the
JavaScript default (enabled) for tabs.  I am looking for an extension
that restores my default setup.  The global default for JavaScript is
controlled by the preference variable javascript.enabled.  However, it
seems that the tab default for JavaScript is NOT controlled by a
preference variable.

Restart Application Button seems to operate in a manner that does not
completely replicate terminating and then relaunching SeaMonkey.  While
user.js apparently is reloaded to restore my preferred settings that I
might have changed while browsing, settings that are not controlled by
preference variables are not all restored.

-- 
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

First you say you do, and then you don't.
And then you say you will, but then won't.
You're undecided now, so what're you goin' to do?
                        From a 1950s song
That should be Donald Trump's theme song.  He obviously
does not understand "commitment", whether it is about
policy or marriage.
0
David
6/7/2018 12:26:10 AM
Wed, 6 Jun 2018 17:26:10 -0700, _David E. Ross_:
> On 6/6/2018 3:28 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
>> On 6/5/2018 9:26 PM, Stanimir Stamenkov wrote:
>>> Tue, 5 Jun 2018 19:48:41 -0700, I previously wrote in part:
>>>
>>>> I have tried two different extensions for doing a restart of SeaMonkey. 
>>>> Neither quite provided the capabilities I want.
>>>>
>>>> I tried Restart Application Button 53.0 at 
>>>> <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/restart-application-button/?src=ss#id=690692>.
>>>>    When I used it, SeaMonkey restarted with a Web page that I had left and 
>>>> not the last Web page I visited. If I had several tabs open but closed 
>>>> before selecting the Restart button, SeaMonkey restarted with those tabs 
>>>> open again.
>>>
>>> Not sure if it might be realted but � do you have 
>>> "browser.sessionstore.interval" customized?
>>
>> You seem to be correct.  I had that set at 5 minutes instead of the 
>> default 15 seconds.  I am again trying Restart Application Button 53.0. 
>> Resetting does not go as far back into history as it did before I reset 
>> browser.sessionstore.interval to the default.

I've asked as I have it customized like that and noticed quite awhile 
ago the same effect with normal restarts (I don't have experience with 
restart extensions).  I think no matter the interval the session should 
be always saved upon exit, but there might other reason for not doing so.

> Unfortunately, Restart Application Button 53.0 does not restore the
> JavaScript default (enabled) for tabs.  I am looking for an extension
> that restores my default setup.  The global default for JavaScript is
> controlled by the preference variable javascript.enabled.  However, it
> seems that the tab default for JavaScript is NOT controlled by a
> preference variable.
> 
> Restart Application Button seems to operate in a manner that does not
> completely replicate terminating and then relaunching SeaMonkey.  While
> user.js apparently is reloaded to restore my preferred settings that I
> might have changed while browsing, settings that are not controlled by
> preference variables are not all restored.
0
Stanimir
6/7/2018 8:09:17 AM
David E. Ross wrote on 07-06-18 00:28:
> On 6/5/2018 9:26 PM, Stanimir Stamenkov wrote:
>> gain.
>> Not sure if it might be realted but � do you have
>> "browser.sessionstore.interval" customized?
> You seem to be correct.  I had that set at 5 minutes instead of the
> default 15 seconds.
Mine is 30 minutes ... no problem with that value.
0
Ray_Net
6/7/2018 3:05:02 PM
Reply: