Recovering list emails

(Reading a response, here, by NFN Smith to Smiles prompts me to ask ....)

About two years ago, I mistakenly, after doing some testing in SeaMonkey
which required me setting up additional profiles, when I then deleted
those test profiles, I also deleted my entire SeaMonkey main Profile
which contained all my e-mails and news group posts dating back over
twenty years.

At that time I was using Windows 7 (and still am), so I tried to reclaim
the profile from the Win7 Recycle Bin, .... but without success.

I've not emptied the Recycle Bin, yet, so, if anyone wants to divulge
how they recovered from making a similar mistake, I'm all ears!!

--
Daniel

Win7 User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.5 Build identifier: 20190609032134

Linux User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623
0
Daniel
2/1/2020 4:28:12 AM
mozilla.support.seamonkey 13365 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Daniel wrote:
> (Reading a response, here, by NFN Smith to Smiles prompts me to ask ....)
>
> About two years ago, I mistakenly, after doing some testing in SeaMonkey
> which required me setting up additional profiles, when I then deleted
> those test profiles, I also deleted my entire SeaMonkey main Profile
> which contained all my e-mails and news group posts dating back over
> twenty years.
>
> At that time I was using Windows 7 (and still am), so I tried to reclaim
> the profile from the Win7 Recycle Bin, .... but without success.
>
> I've not emptied the Recycle Bin, yet, so, if anyone wants to divulge
> how they recovered from making a similar mistake, I'm all ears!!

Well if you deleted the profile by selecting in Explorer the directory in:

%APPDATA%\Mozilla\Seamonkey\Profiles AND it hasn't been deleted or over
written, find the profile RANDOM.default in Recycle Bin and restore it.
Then edit the profiles.ini to include restored profile's directory name.
Start SeaMonkey with  -profileManager switch and select profile.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
0
Jonathan
2/1/2020 8:18:47 PM
Jonathan N. Little wrote on 2/02/2020 7:18 AM:
> Daniel wrote:
>> (Reading a response, here, by NFN Smith to Smiles prompts me to ask ....)
>>
>> About two years ago, I mistakenly, after doing some testing in SeaMonkey
>> which required me setting up additional profiles, when I then deleted
>> those test profiles, I also deleted my entire SeaMonkey main Profile
>> which contained all my e-mails and news group posts dating back over
>> twenty years.
>>
>> At that time I was using Windows 7 (and still am), so I tried to reclaim
>> the profile from the Win7 Recycle Bin, .... but without success.
>>
>> I've not emptied the Recycle Bin, yet, so, if anyone wants to divulge
>> how they recovered from making a similar mistake, I'm all ears!!
>>

> Well if you deleted the profile by selecting in Explorer the directory in:
>
> %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Seamonkey\Profiles AND it hasn't been deleted or over
> written, find the profile RANDOM.default in Recycle Bin and restore it.
> Then edit the profiles.ini to include restored profile's directory name.
> Start SeaMonkey with  -profileManager switch and select profile.

Thank you, Jonathan, I'll give it a go.

--
Daniel

Win7 User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.5 Build identifier: 20190609032134

Linux User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623
0
Daniel
2/2/2020 6:27:53 AM
Daniel wrote:
> Jonathan N. Little wrote on 2/02/2020 7:18 AM:
>> Daniel wrote:
>>> (Reading a response, here, by NFN Smith to Smiles prompts me to ask
>>> ....)
>>>
>>> About two years ago, I mistakenly, after doing some testing in SeaMonkey
>>> which required me setting up additional profiles, when I then deleted
>>> those test profiles, I also deleted my entire SeaMonkey main Profile
>>> which contained all my e-mails and news group posts dating back over
>>> twenty years.
>>>
>>> At that time I was using Windows 7 (and still am), so I tried to reclaim
>>> the profile from the Win7 Recycle Bin, .... but without success.
>>>
>>> I've not emptied the Recycle Bin, yet, so, if anyone wants to divulge
>>> how they recovered from making a similar mistake, I'm all ears!!
>>>

>> Well if you deleted the profile by selecting in Explorer the directory
>> in:
>>
>> %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Seamonkey\Profiles AND it hasn't been deleted or over
>> written, find the profile RANDOM.default in Recycle Bin and restore it.
>> Then edit the profiles.ini to include restored profile's directory name.
>> Start SeaMonkey with  -profileManager switch and select profile.
>>
> Thank you, Jonathan, I'll give it a go.

Should Jonathan's suggestion not be satisfactory, you may also try
unsubscribing from any news.mozilla.org newsgroups. Rename the
associated entries in your profile so they don't get reused, then open a
new newsgroup account instance and allow all the posts to the groups
that interest you since their creation to arrive. You can then search
the group posts you are interested in.

--
"The purpose of life is to be happy."
    ~ Dalai Lama XIV

"Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln
0
sean
2/2/2020 7:49:58 PM
sean wrote on 3/02/2020 6:49 AM:
> Daniel wrote:
>> Jonathan N. Little wrote on 2/02/2020 7:18 AM:

>>> Well if you deleted the profile by selecting in Explorer the
>>> directory in:
>>>
>>> %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Seamonkey\Profiles AND it hasn't been deleted
>>> or over written, find the profile RANDOM.default in Recycle Bin
>>> and restore it. Then edit the profiles.ini to include restored
>>> profile's directory name. Start SeaMonkey with  -profileManager
>>> switch and select profile.
>>>
>> Thank you, Jonathan, I'll give it a go.
>>

> Should Jonathan's suggestion not be satisfactory, you may also try
> unsubscribing from any news.mozilla.org newsgroups. Rename the
> associated entries in your profile so they don't get reused, then
> open a new newsgroup account instance and allow all the posts to the
> groups that interest you since their creation to arrive. You can then
> search the group posts you are interested in.

A reasonable suggestion, Sean, but I'm not looking to save entire news
group postings, just the copies of my posts to those news groups!

--
Daniel

Win7 User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.5 Build identifier: 20190609032134

Linux User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623
0
Daniel
2/3/2020 5:26:37 AM
Daniel wrote:

> A reasonable suggestion, Sean, but I'm not looking to save entire news
> group postings, just the copies of my posts to those news groups!

Default unless you changed it newsgroup posts you make are saved in:

PROFILE_DIR\Mail\Local Folders\Sent

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
0
Jonathan
2/6/2020 6:29:27 PM
Jonathan N. Little wrote on 7/02/2020 5:29 AM:
> Daniel wrote:
>>
>> A reasonable suggestion, Sean, but I'm not looking to save entire news
>> group postings, just the copies of my posts to those news groups!
>
> Default unless you changed it newsgroup posts you make are saved in:
>
> PROFILE_DIR\Mail\Local Folders\Sent

Yeap, thanks, Jonathan.

--
Daniel

Win7 User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.5 Build identifier: 20190609032134

Linux User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623
0
Daniel
2/7/2020 5:29:33 AM
Daniel wrote:
> sean wrote on 3/02/2020 6:49 AM:
>> Daniel wrote:

>>> Thank you, Jonathan, I'll give it a go.
>>>

>> Should Jonathan's suggestion not be satisfactory, you may also try
>> unsubscribing from any news.mozilla.org newsgroups. Rename the
>> associated entries in your profile so they don't get reused, then
>> open a new newsgroup account instance and allow all the posts to the
>> groups that interest you since their creation to arrive. You can then
>> search the group posts you are interested in.
>
> A reasonable suggestion, Sean, but I'm not looking to save entire news
> group postings, just the copies of my posts to those news groups!

Well, once all the messages had downloaded, you'd just search for your
email address...

loks like you've resolved your issue though.