Read only access to mbox formatted file

I'm using SeaMonkey 2.49.4 under Debian
Although I've never used any Apple product, an out of state friend is
asking for help with a new iPad.

I suspect pointing him to a suitable USENET is appropriate.
I've downloaded and extracted an archive of comp.mobile.ipad .

How do I access it with SeaMonkey to take advantage of mail search and
threading threading tools. I date back to Netscape days but don't think
I've ever done this.

Advice please.
TIA

0
Richard
5/19/2020 12:52:36 PM
mozilla.support.seamonkey 13674 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Richard Owlett wrote on 19/05/2020 10:52 PM:
> I'm using SeaMonkey 2.49.4 under Debian
> Although I've never used any Apple product, an out of state friend is
> asking for help with a new iPad.
>
> I suspect pointing him to a suitable USENET is appropriate.
> I've downloaded and extracted an archive of comp.mobile.ipad .
>
> How do I access it with SeaMonkey to take advantage of mail search and
> threading threading tools. I date back to Netscape days but don't think
> I've ever done this.
>
> Advice please.
> TIA

Richard, I'm not exactly sure why you have downloaded the archive ....
but anyway ....

Firstly, if you already have a UseNet account, click on the
server/account name then click on "Manage newsgroup subscriptions" and,
when the list of newsgroups has been update, find "comp.mobile.ipad" and
add it to you list of subscribed newsgroups. You then should be able to
read the messages in your SM Mail & Newsgroups screen.

Secondly, if that doesn't work for you, in your SM Mail & Newsgroups
screen, click on Edit -> Mail & Newsgroups Account Settings and then, on
the left of the screen, click "Add Account" and go through the process
of connecting to your UseNet server. ..... You may, firstly, need to set
up an account at the UseNet Server that you want to use, e.g. I have an
account with Eternal-September, so, each day, I 'connect' to their
server to read my 60-odd newsgroups!

Thirdly, alternatively, you could go to groups.google.com and use their
interface to read 'comp.mobile.ipad'.

Hope this Helps, Richard

--
Daniel

Win7 User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.5 Build identifier: 20190609032134

Linux User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623
0
Daniel
5/20/2020 9:20:06 AM
Richard Owlett wrote on 19/05/2020 10:52 PM:
> I'm using SeaMonkey 2.49.4 under Debian
> Although I've never used any Apple product, an out of state friend is
> asking for help with a new iPad.
>
> I suspect pointing him to a suitable USENET is appropriate.
> I've downloaded and extracted an archive of comp.mobile.ipad .
>
> How do I access it with SeaMonkey to take advantage of mail search and
> threading threading tools. I date back to Netscape days but don't think
> I've ever done this.
>
> Advice please.
> TIA

Richard, as I was reading the posts in one of the other Mozilla
newsgroups, I was thinking about your "I've downloaded and extracted an
archive of comp.mobile.ipad"

Back in the dime dark days of Dial-up Internet and not wanting to tie up
my 'phone line, I used to go online, download the 'new' posts to
newsgroups, then go off-line, freeing up my 'phone line.

To do this, when I was on-line I would select File -> Offline ->
Download/Sync, and the unread posts of those newsgroups I wanted (e.g.
comp.mobile.ipad) would be downloaded into a file on my hard drive. Then
I could disconnect my Dial-up connection (freeing up my 'phone line) and
click the little connectiod-thingee in the bottom right of my Newsgroup
screen and select a message from my Hard Drive File and read away.

Is this, sort of like, what you are trying to do, Richard??

--
Daniel

Win7 User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.5 Build identifier: 20190609032134

Linux User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623
0
Daniel
5/20/2020 9:41:49 AM
On 05/20/2020 04:20 AM, Daniel wrote:
> Richard Owlett wrote on 19/05/2020 10:52 PM:
>> I'm using SeaMonkey 2.49.4 under Debian
>> Although I've never used any Apple product, an out of state friend is
>> asking for help with a new iPad.
>>
>> I suspect pointing him to a suitable USENET is appropriate.
>> I've downloaded and extracted an archive of comp.mobile.ipad .
>>
>> How do I access it with SeaMonkey to take advantage of mail search and
>> threading threading tools. I date back to Netscape days but don't
>> think I've ever done this.
>>
>> Advice please.
>> TIA
>>
> Richard, I'm not exactly sure why you have downloaded the archive ....
> but anyway ....
> [SNIP]

<chuckle> People have wondering about the way I "think" for >70 years.

Your follow-up post describing offline access to USENET was close enough
to rattle my cage appropriately. First good night's sleep in days
followed by cup of caffeinated coffee also helped ;}

More seriously, the key to all was in my subject line - though I hadn't
recognized it.

A better statement of my problem would have been:
   Given a standards compliant mbox file, how can it be accessed
   with SeaMonkey?
ANSWER:
   Copy it [w/o file extension] to the preferred Mail sub-directory.
   [e.g. /home/richard/.mozilla/seamonkey/9bzizhmz.slt/Mail/rowlett ]
   SeaMonkey does the rest.

Thank you for your time. It helped me solve my own problem.

0
Richard
5/20/2020 11:55:49 AM
Richard Owlett wrote on 20/05/2020 9:55 PM:
> On 05/20/2020 04:20 AM, Daniel wrote:
>> Richard Owlett wrote on 19/05/2020 10:52 PM:
>>> I'm using SeaMonkey 2.49.4 under Debian
>>> Although I've never used any Apple product, an out of state friend is
>>> asking for help with a new iPad.
>>>
>>> I suspect pointing him to a suitable USENET is appropriate.
>>> I've downloaded and extracted an archive of comp.mobile.ipad .
>>>
>>> How do I access it with SeaMonkey to take advantage of mail search
>>> and threading threading tools. I date back to Netscape days but don't
>>> think I've ever done this.
>>>
>>> Advice please.
>>> TIA
>>>
>> Richard, I'm not exactly sure why you have downloaded the archive ....
>> but anyway ....
>> [SNIP]
>
> <chuckle> People have wondering about the way I "think" for >70 years.
>
> Your follow-up post describing offline access to USENET was close enough
> to rattle my cage appropriately. First good night's sleep in days
> followed by cup of caffeinated coffee also helped ;}
>
> More seriously, the key to all was in my subject line - though I hadn't
> recognized it.
>
> A better statement of my problem would have been:
>    Given a standards compliant mbox file, how can it be accessed
>    with SeaMonkey?
> ANSWER:
>    Copy it [w/o file extension] to the preferred Mail sub-directory.
>    [e.g. /home/richard/.mozilla/seamonkey/9bzizhmz.slt/Mail/rowlett ]
>    SeaMonkey does the rest.
>
> Thank you for your time. It helped me solve my own problem.

Glad you got there, Richard. ;-)