Problem following links if JavaScript enabled

I'm running SeaMonkey version 2.49.4 [Build identifier: 20180711182954]
under Debian 9.8 [Stretch]

I routinely surf with JavaScript disabled without problems.

I have problems following *ANY* link from https://manpages.debian.org/
*IF AND ONLY IF* JavaScript is enabled.

The symptoms are:
   1. Destination link is promptly displayed in URL bar.
   2. The page never loads/displays.

Is this a:
  1. site problem?
  2. SeaMonkey failure?
  3. an unidentified local problem?

Suggestions?
TIA

0
Richard
1/12/2020 12:38:00 PM
mozilla.support.seamonkey 13547 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Richard Owlett wrote:
> I'm running SeaMonkey version 2.49.4 [Build identifier: 20180711182954]
> under Debian 9.8 [Stretch]
>
> I routinely surf with JavaScript disabled without problems.
>
> I have problems following *ANY* link from https://manpages.debian.org/
> *IF AND ONLY IF* JavaScript is enabled.

WFM in bother Windows and Ubuntu

> The symptoms are:
>   1. Destination link is promptly displayed in URL bar.
>   2. The page never loads/displays.
>
> Is this a:
>  1. site problem?
>  2. SeaMonkey failure?
>  3. an unidentified local problem?

My guess #3

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
0
Jonathan
1/12/2020 2:19:17 PM
Richard Owlett wrote:
> I'm running SeaMonkey version 2.49.4 [Build identifier: 20180711182954]
> under Debian 9.8 [Stretch]
>
> I routinely surf with JavaScript disabled without problems.
>
> I have problems following *ANY* link from https://manpages.debian.org/
> *IF AND ONLY IF* JavaScript is enabled.
>
> The symptoms are:
>    1. Destination link is promptly displayed in URL bar.
>    2. The page never loads/displays.

I see the same, but only if the link is opened in a new tab.  Just
clicking the link (to open in the same tab) or opening in a new window
works.  Opening in a new tab (either via context menu, Ctrl+click or
middle-click) behaves as you describe.  Attempting to reload the page
doesn't help, but clicking in the address bar and pressing "Enter" does
load the page.

Having opened in a new tab, attempting to view the page source has
"Source of: wyciwyg://14/https://manpages.debian.org/..." in the title
bar - truncation is mine, but the "wyciwyg://14/" looks odd.

Viewing source of a successfully loaded page shows "Source of:
https://manpages.debian.org/..." as would be expected.

> Is this a:
>   1. site problem?
>   2. SeaMonkey failure?
>   3. an unidentified local problem?
>
> Suggestions?

Not sure.  The presence of "wyciwyg" in the page source when it's
failing to load looks like it could be some interaction between caching
and something JavaScript is doing on those pages.

I'm using SeaMonkey 2.49.5 on Linux Mint.

--
Mark.

0
mozilla
1/12/2020 2:38:26 PM
On 12/01/20 12:38, Richard Owlett wrote:
> I'm running SeaMonkey version 2.49.4 [Build identifier: 20180711182954]
> under Debian 9.8 [Stretch]
>
> I routinely surf with JavaScript disabled without problems.
>
> I have problems following *ANY* link from https://manpages.debian.org/
> *IF AND ONLY IF* JavaScript is enabled.
>
> The symptoms are:
>    1. Destination link is promptly displayed in URL bar.
>    2. The page never loads/displays.

Confirmed in SM 2.49.5 LXLE based on Lubuntu 16.04/32-bit for 'Open in
New Tab', except that with the dev tools pane displayed the new tab may
eventually display.

But the site doesn't lose any functionality without JS as far as I can
see -- it's just stuff like lazy-loading fonts.

> Is this a:
>   1. site problem?
>   2. SeaMonkey failure?
>   3. an unidentified local problem?

Difficult to tell. I have a fair few extensions loaded. You could test
SM with a new profile, and if that fails try FF 52 ESR, and if that
fails, other versions and browsers.

/df

--
London
UK
Jonathan N. Little wrote on 1/12/20 3:19 PM:
> Richard Owlett wrote:
>> I'm running SeaMonkey version 2.49.4 [Build identifier: 20180711182954]
>> under Debian 9.8 [Stretch]
>>
>> I routinely surf with JavaScript disabled without problems.
>>
>> I have problems following *ANY* link from https://manpages.debian.org/
>> *IF AND ONLY IF* JavaScript is enabled.
>>

> WFM in bother Windows and Ubuntu

not in * /fedora/ /RedHat/ *

--
GérardJan Vinkesteijn-Rudersdorff

If A equals success, then the formula is A = X + Y + Z.
X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut.
         -- Albert Einstein
0
GerardJan
1/12/2020 7:12:40 PM
On 01/12/2020 08:38 AM, mozilla-lists.mbourne@spamgourmet.com wrote:
> Richard Owlett wrote:
>> I'm running SeaMonkey version 2.49.4 [Build identifier: 20180711182954=
]
>> under Debian 9.8 [Stretch]
>>
>> I routinely surf with JavaScript disabled without problems.
>>
>> I have problems following *ANY* link from https://manpages.debian.org/=

>> *IF AND ONLY IF* JavaScript is enabled.
>>
>> The symptoms are:
>> =C2=A0=C2=A0 1. Destination link is promptly displayed in URL bar.
>> =C2=A0=C2=A0 2. The page never loads/displays.
>=20
> I see the same, but only if the link is opened in a new tab.

I see the same. I had been investigating a vendor provided script and=20
had been opening a series of man pages in multiple tabs.

>=C2=A0 Just=20
> clicking the link (to open in the same tab) or opening in a new window =

> works.=C2=A0 Opening in a new tab (either via context menu, Ctrl+click =
or=20
> middle-click) behaves as you describe.=C2=A0 Attempting to reload the p=
age=20
> doesn't help, but clicking in the address bar and pressing "Enter" does=
=20
> load the page.

That was part of what prompted me to post.

>=20
> Having opened in a new tab, attempting to view the page source has=20
> "Source of: wyciwyg://14/https://manpages.debian.org/..." in the title =

> bar - truncation is mine, but the "wyciwyg://14/" looks odd.

I see similar. In a test just now, instead of '14' I see '48' or '49'=20
depending on link clicked. I'll investigate further.

>=20
> Viewing source of a successfully loaded page shows "Source of:=20
> https://manpages.debian.org/..." as would be expected.
>=20
>> Is this a:
>> =C2=A0=C2=A01. site problem?
>> =C2=A0=C2=A02. SeaMonkey failure?
>> =C2=A0=C2=A03. an unidentified local problem?
>>
>> Suggestions?
>=20
> Not sure.=C2=A0 The presence of "wyciwyg" in the page source when it's =

> failing to load looks like it could be some interaction between caching=
=20
> and something JavaScript is doing on those pages.
>=20
> I'm using SeaMonkey 2.49.5 on Linux Mint.
>=20

Thank you

0
Richard
1/13/2020 11:34:28 AM
On 01/12/2020 11:11 AM, Dirk Fieldhouse wrote:
> On 12/01/20 12:38, Richard Owlett wrote:
>> I'm running SeaMonkey version 2.49.4 [Build identifier: 20180711182954=
]
>> under Debian 9.8 [Stretch]
>>
>> I routinely surf with JavaScript disabled without problems.
>>
>> I have problems following *ANY* link from https://manpages.debian.org/=

>> *IF AND ONLY IF* JavaScript is enabled.
>>
>> The symptoms are:
>> =C2=A0=C2=A0 1. Destination link is promptly displayed in URL bar.
>> =C2=A0=C2=A0 2. The page never loads/displays.
>=20
> Confirmed in SM 2.49.5 LXLE based on Lubuntu 16.04/32-bit for 'Open in =

> New Tab', except that with the dev tools pane displayed the new tab may=
=20
> eventually display.
>=20
> But the site doesn't lose any functionality without JS as far as I can =

> see -- it's just stuff like lazy-loading fonts.
>=20
>> Is this a:
>> =C2=A0=C2=A01. site problem?
>> =C2=A0=C2=A02. SeaMonkey failure?
>> =C2=A0=C2=A03. an unidentified local problem?
>=20
> Difficult to tell. I have a fair few extensions loaded. You could test =

> SM with a new profile, and if that fails try FF 52 ESR, and if that=20
> fails, other versions and browsers.
>=20

I have no extensions loaded. I'll try later with a default profile.
Thanks.

0
Richard
1/13/2020 11:37:21 AM
Richard Owlett wrote on 1/13/20 12:34 PM:
> On 01/12/2020 08:38 AM, mozilla-lists.mbourne@spamgourmet.com wrote:
>> Richard Owlett wrote:
>>> I'm running SeaMonkey version 2.49.4 [Build identifier: 20180711182954]
>>> under Debian 9.8 [Stretch]
>>>
>>> I routinely surf with JavaScript disabled without problems.
>>>
>>> I have problems following *ANY* link from https://manpages.debian.org/
>>> *IF AND ONLY IF* JavaScript is enabled.
>>>
>>> The symptoms are:
>>>    1. Destination link is promptly displayed in URL bar.
>>>    2. The page never loads/displays.
>>
>> I see the same, but only if the link is opened in a new tab.
>
> I see the same. I had been investigating a vendor provided script and had been
> opening a series of man pages in multiple tabs.
>
>>   Just clicking the link (to open in the same tab) or opening in a new window
>> works.  Opening in a new tab (either via context menu, Ctrl+click or
>> middle-click) behaves as you describe.  Attempting to reload the page doesn't
>> help, but clicking in the address bar and pressing "Enter" does load the page.
>
> That was part of what prompted me to post.
>

>> Having opened in a new tab, attempting to view the page source has "Source of:
>> wyciwyg://14/https://manpages.debian.org/..." in the title bar - truncation is
>> mine, but the "wyciwyg://14/" looks odd.
>
> I see similar. In a test just now, instead of '14' I see '48' or '49' depending
> on link clicked. I'll investigate further.
>

>> Viewing source of a successfully loaded page shows "Source of:
>> https://manpages.debian.org/..." as would be expected.
>>
>>> Is this a:
>>>   1. site problem?
>>>   2. SeaMonkey failure?
>>>   3. an unidentified local problem?
>>>
>>> Suggestions?
>>
>> Not sure.  The presence of "wyciwyg" in the page source when it's failing to
>> load looks like it could be some interaction between caching and something
>> JavaScript is doing on those pages.
>>
>> I'm using SeaMonkey 2.49.5 on Linux Mint.

I am using /seamonkey/ on *Fedora 31*

> Thank you

sincerely yours,

--
GérardJan Vinkesteijn-Rudersdorff

If A equals success, then the formula is A = X + Y + Z.
X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut.
         -- Albert Einstein
0
GerardJan
1/13/2020 12:19:48 PM
mozilla-lists.mbourne@spamgourmet.com wrote on 13/01/2020 1:38 AM:

<Snip>

> Not sure.  The presence of "wyciwyg" in the page source when it's
> failing to load looks like it could be some interaction between caching
> and something JavaScript is doing on those pages.
>
> I'm using SeaMonkey 2.49.5 on Linux Mint.

Don't know if it leads anywhere but ..... "wyciwyg" as in "What You
C(See) Is What You Get"!!

--
Daniel

Win7 User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.5 Build identifier: 20190609032134

Linux User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623
0
Daniel
1/14/2020 8:20:29 AM
On 14/01/20 08:20, Daniel wrote:
> mozilla-lists.mbourne@spamgourmet.com wrote on 13/01/2020 1:38 AM:
>
> <Snip>
>
>> Not sure.  The presence of "wyciwyg" in the page source when it's
>> failing to load looks like it could be some interaction between
>> caching and something JavaScript is doing on those pages.
>>
>> I'm using SeaMonkey 2.49.5 on Linux Mint.
>>
> Don't know if it leads anywhere but ..... "wyciwyg" as in "What You
> C(See) Is What You Get"!!

C = Cache

This discussion from 2010
<https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/699151> produced several
plausible suggestions (eg, Safe Mode, clear browser cache, clear DNS
cache, kill googleanalytics, etc, with fire, change DNS servers) but
didn't seem to find a definitive solution.

/df

--
London
UK
Dirk Fieldhouse wrote on 15/01/2020 2:15 AM:
> On 14/01/20 08:20, Daniel wrote:
>> mozilla-lists.mbourne@spamgourmet.com wrote on 13/01/2020 1:38 AM:
>>
>> <Snip>
>>
>>> Not sure.  The presence of "wyciwyg" in the page source when it's
>>> failing to load looks like it could be some interaction between
>>> caching and something JavaScript is doing on those pages.
>>>
>>> I'm using SeaMonkey 2.49.5 on Linux Mint.
>>>
>> Don't know if it leads anywhere but ..... "wyciwyg" as in "What You
>> C(See) Is What You Get"!!
>
> C = Cache
>
> This discussion from 2010
> <https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/699151> produced several
> plausible suggestions (eg, Safe Mode, clear browser cache, clear DNS
> cache, kill googleanalytics, etc, with fire, change DNS servers) but
> didn't seem to find a definitive solution.
>
> /df

O.K., but my C for (See) makes sense ..... to me, at least!

--
Daniel

Win7 User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.5 Build identifier: 20190609032134

Linux User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623
0
Daniel
1/15/2020 6:40:07 AM
On 15/01/20 06:40, Daniel wrote:
> Dirk Fieldhouse wrote on 15/01/2020 2:15 AM:
>> On 14/01/20 08:20, Daniel wrote:
>>> mozilla-lists.mbourne@spamgourmet.com wrote on 13/01/2020 1:38 AM:
>>>
>>> <Snip>
>>>
>>> Don't know if it leads anywhere but ..... "wyciwyg" as in "What You
>>> C(See) Is What You Get"!!
>>
>> C = Cache

> O.K., but my C for (See) makes sense ..... to me, at least!

Fair enough, but the abbreviation with S for See is traditional.

The computer typesetting pioneer John W Seybold is said to have adopted
the phrase from a catchphrase in 'The Flip Wilson Show' (aired 1970-4),
where the gag was that Wilson delivered it in drag. By 1981 the
abbreviation WYSIWIG was well enough established to be used in
advertising copy.

/df

--
London