Page doesn't open Seamonkey 2.38

I've had this problem on a few pages most recently:

http://www.bustatech.com/webcamviewer-a-simple-viewer-for-webcam/

Opens in IE
0
Ron
10/17/2015 6:57:12 PM
mozilla.support.seamonkey 13710 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Ron wrote:

> I've had this problem on a few pages most recently:
>
> http://www.bustatech.com/webcamviewer-a-simple-viewer-for-webcam/
>
> Opens in IE

WFM.

Paul B. Gallagher

0
Paul
10/17/2015 7:00:36 PM
Ron wrote:
> I've had this problem on a few pages most recently:
>
> http://www.bustatech.com/webcamviewer-a-simple-viewer-for-webcam/
>
> Opens in IE

Ok I just tried it again & it opened. I tried it 3 or 4 times before &
just got a blank screen.
0
Ron
10/17/2015 7:07:05 PM
Ron wrote:
> I've had this problem on a few pages most recently:
>
> http://www.bustatech.com/webcamviewer-a-simple-viewer-for-webcam/
>
> Opens in IE

How do you open that link? For me, from SeaMonkey Mail, clicking the
link in your email opens it in SeaMonkey browser. If you open it from
another application, that might use a different browser, which may or
may not be configurable depending on the application.

Mark.

0
mozilla
10/17/2015 7:20:25 PM
On Saturday, October 17, 2015 at 3:07:13 PM UTC-4, Ron wrote:
> Ron wrote:
> > I've had this problem on a few pages most recently:
> >
> > http://www.bustatech.com/webcamviewer-a-simple-viewer-for-webcam/
> >
> > Opens in IE
>
> Ok I just tried it again & it opened. I tried it 3 or 4 times before &
> just got a blank screen.

I tried this and the first time I got a blank screen.  The second time it opened ok.

I've been crashing quite a lot with 2.38 under Win 7.

0
louis
10/23/2015 1:12:21 AM
louis.a.russ@gmail.com wrote:

> On Saturday, October 17, 2015 at 3:07:13 PM UTC-4, Ron wrote:
>> Ron wrote:
>>> I've had this problem on a few pages most recently:
>>>
>>> http://www.bustatech.com/webcamviewer-a-simple-viewer-for-webcam/
>>>
>>> Opens in IE
>>
>> Ok I just tried it again & it opened. I tried it 3 or 4 times before &
>> just got a blank screen.
>
> I tried this and the first time I got a blank screen.  The second time it opened ok.

Probably a server issue; when I got the blank screen I did CTRL-U to
view the source code and that was blank, too. After a reload all was well.

> I've been crashing quite a lot with 2.38 under Win 7.

Not my experience, but configurations and profiles do differ...

Paul B. Gallagher

0
Paul
10/23/2015 1:42:04 AM
On 23/10/2015 12:42 PM, Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
> louis.a.russ@gmail.com wrote:

<Snip>

>> I've been crashing quite a lot with 2.38 under Win 7.
>
> Not my experience, but configurations and profiles do differ...

Nor me!! SM 2.38 on Win7 Pro works just fine for me!!

--
Daniel

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:41.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.38 Build identifier: 20150904215228
or
User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:41.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.38 Build identifier: 20150903203501
0
Daniel
10/23/2015 9:38:46 AM
Daniel wrote on 23/10/2015 11:38:
> On 23/10/2015 12:42 PM, Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
>> louis.a.russ@gmail.com wrote:
>
> <Snip>
>
>>> I've been crashing quite a lot with 2.38 under Win 7.
>>
>> Not my experience, but configurations and profiles do differ...
>
> Nor me!! SM 2.38 on Win7 Pro works just fine for me!!

For me too - EXCEPT when using StreetView of GoogleMaps.
0
Ray_Net
10/23/2015 2:47:49 PM
Ray_Net wrote:
> Daniel wrote on 23/10/2015 11:38:
>> On 23/10/2015 12:42 PM, Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
>>> louis.a.russ@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> <Snip>

>>> Not my experience, but configurations and profiles do differ...
>>
>> Nor me!! SM 2.38 on Win7 Pro works just fine for me!!
>>
> For me too - EXCEPT when using StreetView of GoogleMaps.

No problem there, either, for me.

Paul B. Gallagher

0
Paul
10/23/2015 3:31:19 PM
Ray_Net wrote:
> Daniel wrote on 23/10/2015 11:38:
>> On 23/10/2015 12:42 PM, Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
>>> louis.a.russ@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> <Snip>

>>> Not my experience, but configurations and profiles do differ...
>>
>> Nor me!! SM 2.38 on Win7 Pro works just fine for me!!
>>
> For me too - EXCEPT when using StreetView of GoogleMaps.

I have been finding that street view in Google Maps is working better
these days.  It updates faster when you move around than it used to do.

0
EE
10/23/2015 7:05:39 PM
On Thursday, October 22, 2015 at 9:12:22 PM UTC-4, louis....@gmail.com wrote:
> On Saturday, October 17, 2015 at 3:07:13 PM UTC-4, Ron wrote:
> > Ron wrote:
> > > I've had this problem on a few pages most recently:
> > >
> > > http://www.bustatech.com/webcamviewer-a-simple-viewer-for-webcam/
> > >
> > > Opens in IE
> >
> > Ok I just tried it again & it opened. I tried it 3 or 4 times before &
> > just got a blank screen.
>
> I tried this and the first time I got a blank screen.  The second time it opened ok.
>
> I've been crashing quite a lot with 2.38 under Win 7.

Thanks all for your responses. I'm not sure what the problem is, I think it may have to do with some ad scripts on various sites.  I switched back to 2.35 and it seems to be working without the Seamonkey Not Responding messages.
0
louis
10/23/2015 10:45:25 PM
On 23/10/2015 03:42, Paul B. Gallagher wrote:

> Probably a server issue; when I got the blank screen I did CTRL-U to
> view the source code and that was blank, too. After a reload all was well.

When that happened to me a few weeks ago, I used wget to grab
the webpage, and the server was timing out. Couldn't Mozilla
report an error instead of just displaying a blank page?!
It's rather confusing.

0
Mason83
10/24/2015 11:43:14 AM
Mason83 wrote:
> On 23/10/2015 03:42, Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
>
>> Probably a server issue; when I got the blank screen I did CTRL-U to
>> view the source code and that was blank, too. After a reload all was well.
>
> When that happened to me a few weeks ago, I used wget to grab
> the webpage, and the server was timing out. Couldn't Mozilla
> report an error instead of just displaying a blank page?!
> It's rather confusing.

Agreed.

But it depends what the server is sending. If it really sends nothing or
doesn't respond, a software routine could detect that; you'd probably
get a 404 error or something. But if it sends something that you and I
perceive as blank that isn't quite blank -- say, a single space
character -- the software would not be able to analyze and evaluate that
as "not interesting enough."

Paul B. Gallagher

0
Paul
10/24/2015 12:53:22 PM
On 24/10/2015 11:53 PM, Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
> Mason83 wrote:
>> On 23/10/2015 03:42, Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
>>
>>> Probably a server issue; when I got the blank screen I did CTRL-U to
>>> view the source code and that was blank, too. After a reload all was
>>> well.
>>
>> When that happened to me a few weeks ago, I used wget to grab
>> the webpage, and the server was timing out. Couldn't Mozilla
>> report an error instead of just displaying a blank page?!
>> It's rather confusing.
>
> Agreed.
>
> But it depends what the server is sending. If it really sends nothing or
> doesn't respond, a software routine could detect that; you'd probably
> get a 404 error or something. But if it sends something that you and I
> perceive as blank that isn't quite blank -- say, a single space
> character -- the software would not be able to analyze and evaluate that
> as "not interesting enough."

Hang On!! The Mozilla server is too busy to send you the page that you
want, so you want the server to send you another, admittedly simpler,
web page instead!!

Does anyone else see the problem there?? ;-P

--
Daniel

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:41.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.38 Build identifier: 20150904215228
or
User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:41.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.38 Build identifier: 20150903203501
0
Daniel
10/25/2015 8:46:44 AM
On 10/25/2015 04:46 AM, Daniel wrote:
> On 24/10/2015 11:53 PM, Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
>> Mason83 wrote:

>>> When that happened to me a few weeks ago, I used wget to grab
>>> the webpage, and the server was timing out. Couldn't Mozilla
>>> report an error instead of just displaying a blank page?!
>>> It's rather confusing.
>>
>> Agreed.
>>
>> But it depends what the server is sending. If it really sends nothing or
>> doesn't respond, a software routine could detect that; you'd probably
>> get a 404 error or something. But if it sends something that you and I
>> perceive as blank that isn't quite blank -- say, a single space
>> character -- the software would not be able to analyze and evaluate that
>> as "not interesting enough."
>>
> Hang On!! The Mozilla server is too busy to send you the page that you
> want, so you want the server to send you another, admittedly simpler,
> web page instead!!
>
> Does anyone else see the problem there?? ;-P

I don't think the Mozilla server is involved.

They want Mozilla to include error messages in the browser code, which I
think it already does.

--
Linux Mint 17.2 "Rafaela" | KDE 4.14.2 | Thunderbird 44.0a1 (Daily)
One users useless feature, is a useful feature to another

0
WaltS48
10/25/2015 11:32:49 AM
On 10/17/2015 02:57 PM, Ron wrote:
> I've had this problem on a few pages most recently:
>
> http://www.bustatech.com/webcamviewer-a-simple-viewer-for-webcam/
>
> Opens in IE

Something here might help.

<https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/websites-dont-load-troubleshoot-and-fix-errors#firefox:win8:fx41>

--
Linux Mint 17.2 "Rafaela" | KDE 4.14.2 | Thunderbird 44.0a1 (Daily)
One users useless feature, is a useful feature to another
Go Bucs! (next season) Go Pens! Go Sabres! Go Pitt!
[Visit Pittsburgh]<http://www.visitpittsburgh.com/>
[Coexist · Understanding Across Divides]<https://www.coexist.org/>

0
WaltS48
10/25/2015 11:35:00 AM
Daniel wrote:
> On 24/10/2015 11:53 PM, Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
>> Mason83 wrote:

>>> When that happened to me a few weeks ago, I used wget to grab
>>> the webpage, and the server was timing out. Couldn't Mozilla
>>> report an error instead of just displaying a blank page?!
>>> It's rather confusing.
>>
>> Agreed.
>>
>> But it depends what the server is sending. If it really sends nothing or
>> doesn't respond, a software routine could detect that; you'd probably
>> get a 404 error or something. But if it sends something that you and I
>> perceive as blank that isn't quite blank -- say, a single space
>> character -- the software would not be able to analyze and evaluate that
>> as "not interesting enough."
>>
> Hang On!! The Mozilla server is too busy to send you the page that you
> want, so you want the server to send you another, admittedly simpler,
> web page instead!!
>
> Does anyone else see the problem there?? ;-P

I didn't say that, so I won't defend it. I was just talking about the
logical (im)possibility of having the browser do what was requested.

Paul B. Gallagher

0
Paul
10/25/2015 5:53:38 PM
On 25/10/2015 10:32 PM, WaltS48 wrote:
> On 10/25/2015 04:46 AM, Daniel wrote:

>>> Agreed.
>>>
>>> But it depends what the server is sending. If it really sends nothing or
>>> doesn't respond, a software routine could detect that; you'd probably
>>> get a 404 error or something. But if it sends something that you and I
>>> perceive as blank that isn't quite blank -- say, a single space
>>> character -- the software would not be able to analyze and evaluate that
>>> as "not interesting enough."
>>>
>> Hang On!! The Mozilla server is too busy to send you the page that you
>> want, so you want the server to send you another, admittedly simpler,
>> web page instead!!
>>
>> Does anyone else see the problem there?? ;-P
>>

> I don't think the Mozilla server is involved.

My mistake, but the same principle applies ... if the server is too busy
to do the main thing you, the OP, require and you, the OP, expect it to
then send another page!!

> They want Mozilla to include error messages in the browser code, which I
> think it already does.

To me, that is what the blank screen is indicating ... so when I get
one, I click "Reload Current Page" and if I fail a second, or maybe a
third time, I then start checking other things .... am I still actually
connected, do other web pages download correctly ....