Notification on birthdays from SeaMonkey (SM) v2's addressbooks?

Hi!

Is there a way SM2 can notify users about birthdays from its 
addressbooks (*.mab) like an alarm or something?

Thank you in advance. :)
-- 
"Ants live safely till they have gotten wings." --unknown
    /\___/\         Phil./Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
   / /\ /\ \                Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
  | |o   o| |
     \ _ /        If crediting, then use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
      ( )         If e-mailing, then axe ANT from its address if needed.
Ant is currently not listening to any songs on this computer.
0
Ant
12/29/2010 2:59:44 PM
mozilla.support.seamonkey 13296 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

9 Replies
386 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 17

Ant wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Is there a way SM2 can notify users about birthdays from its
> addressbooks (*.mab) like an alarm or something?
>
> Thank you in advance. :)
Not natively, but there are a couple of alternatives:
*-Lightning, which is a calendar development and separate program (like 
browser and email are separate programs of the suite)
*-An SM add-on called ReminderFox.

I can't speak for Lightning, but there is a support newsgroup for it on 
this server.  We use ReminderFox, which integrates into the browser and 
mail windows.  You set your reminders by date, and how you want the 
program to remind you, and you're set.  It doesn't read anything from 
your *.mab files, but once you've put recurring events in, it'll repeat 
the reminders next time 'round.

We have it installed on SM 2.0.11 under XP and Windows 7 machines, and 
no complaints.
0
Rickles
12/29/2010 5:01:35 PM
   [29.12.2010 18:01]    �Rickles� wrote:
> Ant wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> Is there a way SM2 can notify users about birthdays from its
>> addressbooks (*.mab) like an alarm or something?
>>
>> Thank you in advance. :)
> Not natively, but there are a couple of alternatives:
> *-Lightning, which is a calendar development and separate program 
> (like browser and email are separate programs of the suite)
> *-An SM add-on called ReminderFox.
>
> I can't speak for Lightning, but there is a support newsgroup for it 
> on this server.  We use ReminderFox, which integrates into the browser 
> and mail windows.  You set your reminders by date, and how you want 
> the program to remind you, and you're set.  It doesn't read anything 
> from your *.mab files, but once you've put recurring events in, it'll 
> repeat the reminders next time 'round.
>
> We have it installed on SM 2.0.11 under XP and Windows 7 machines, and 
> no complaints.
Just to add a note to ReminderFox:

With current version you can add a Reminder for a TB/Addressbook Card.
And the 'birthday' of that card will be passed to the reminder and get 
the starting date with birtgdayDay/birthdayMonth/currentYear, the 
birthdayXear is passed to the subject, so you have a new reminder like this:

     "[Contact] lastName firstName <year>"

The <year> is .. as usual with ReminderFox .. a variable and in the list 
it will be shown as  'age'.

Tip:
And you can open the TB/AB card from the ReminderFox List with context 
menu on the reminder line. Menu item [Open Addressbook Card].
(Requires TB3.x)

G�nter

0
gNeandr
12/29/2010 6:30:00 PM
  [29.12.2010 19:30]    �gNeandr� wrote:
>   [29.12.2010 18:01]    �Rickles� wrote:
>> Ant wrote:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> Is there a way SM2 can notify users about birthdays from its
>>> addressbooks (*.mab) like an alarm or something?
>>>
>>> Thank you in advance. :)
>> Not natively, but there are a couple of alternatives:
>> *-Lightning, which is a calendar development and separate program 
>> (like browser and email are separate programs of the suite)
>> *-An SM add-on called ReminderFox.
>>
>> I can't speak for Lightning, but there is a support newsgroup for it 
>> on this server.  We use ReminderFox, which integrates into the 
>> browser and mail windows.  You set your reminders by date, and how 
>> you want the program to remind you, and you're set.  It doesn't read 
>> anything from your *.mab files, but once you've put recurring events 
>> in, it'll repeat the reminders next time 'round.
>>
>> We have it installed on SM 2.0.11 under XP and Windows 7 machines, 
>> and no complaints.
> Just to add a note to ReminderFox:
>
> With current version you can add a Reminder for a TB/Addressbook Card.
> And the 'birthday' of that card will be passed to the reminder and get 
> the starting date with birtgdayDay/birthdayMonth/currentYear, the 
> birthdayXear is passed to the subject, so you have a new reminder like 
> this:
>
>     "[Contact] lastName firstName <year>"
>
> The <year> is .. as usual with ReminderFox .. a variable and in the 
> list it will be shown as  'age'.
>
> Tip:
> And you can open the TB/AB card from the ReminderFox List with context 
> menu on the reminder line. Menu item [Open Addressbook Card].
> (Requires TB3.x)
>
> G�nter
>
Sorry, this is a SM NG .. so read:
(Requires TB3.x or SM2.x)

g�
0
gNeandr
12/29/2010 8:22:23 PM
On 12/29/2010 9:01 AM PT, Rickles typed:

>> Is there a way SM2 can notify users about birthdays from its
>> addressbooks (*.mab) like an alarm or something?

> Not natively, but there are a couple of alternatives:
> *-Lightning, which is a calendar development and separate program (like
> browser and email are separate programs of the suite)
> *-An SM add-on called ReminderFox.
>
> I can't speak for Lightning, but there is a support newsgroup for it on
> this server. We use ReminderFox, which integrates into the browser and
> mail windows. You set your reminders by date, and how you want the
> program to remind you, and you're set. It doesn't read anything from
> your *.mab files, but once you've put recurring events in, it'll repeat
> the reminders next time 'round.

Hmm, I prefer reading my addressbooks so I don't have to update in 
multiple places. :(

>
> We have it installed on SM 2.0.11 under XP and Windows 7 machines, and
> no complaints.

Thanks. :)
-- 
...."Like me with the anthill in my backyard. I spent days watching the 
ants, trying to figure out which ones were good, and which ones were 
bad, but they all just looked like ants, so I started smiting all of 
them." "Well that's not --" "I was smiting them with the garden hose, 
and with lighter fluid, and with the lawnmower, and to be perfectly 
honest, I think I went a little crazy with the shovel. Those ants could 
have been praying to me all day, I wouldn't have heard them." "There was 
nothing they could do about it." "But, I don't think --" "Really, it's 
the same with us. There's nothing we can do about anything either, so 
why worry about it? Hey, this is making me feel better." "Well, that's 
good, but --" "I guess all we can do is live our lives with as much 
kindness and decency as possible, and try not to dwell on God standing 
over us with a giant shovel."...--Dewey and Teacher in Day Care episode 
from Malcolm in the Middle
    /\___/\         Phil./Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
   / /\ /\ \                Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
  | |o   o| |
     \ _ /        If crediting, then use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
      ( )         If e-mailing, then axe ANT from its address if needed.
Ant is currently not listening to any songs on this computer.
0
Ant
12/30/2010 6:14:53 AM
On 12/29/2010 9:01 AM PT, Rickles typed:

> Not natively, but there are a couple of alternatives:
> *-Lightning, which is a calendar development and separate program (like
> browser and email are separate programs of the suite)
> *-An SM add-on called ReminderFox.
>
> I can't speak for Lightning, but there is a support newsgroup for it on
> this server. We use ReminderFox, which integrates into the browser and
> mail windows. You set your reminders by date, and how you want the
> program to remind you, and you're set. It doesn't read anything from
> your *.mab files, but once you've put recurring events in, it'll repeat
> the reminders next time 'round.
>
> We have it installed on SM 2.0.11 under XP and Windows 7 machines, and
> no complaints.

Also, I don't see it mentions SeaMonkey support in 
http://www.reminderfox.org/documentation-install/ ... Or is there 
another site to get it for SM2?
-- 
"Your parents were killed by ants?" --Idle Hands movie
    /\___/\         Phil./Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
   / /\ /\ \                Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
  | |o   o| |
     \ _ /        If crediting, then use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
      ( )         If e-mailing, then axe ANT from its address if needed.
Ant is currently not listening to any songs on this computer.
0
Ant
12/30/2010 6:17:48 AM
Ant wrote:
> On 12/29/2010 9:01 AM PT, Rickles typed:
>
>> Not natively, but there are a couple of alternatives:
>> *-Lightning, which is a calendar development and separate program (like
>> browser and email are separate programs of the suite)
>> *-An SM add-on called ReminderFox.
>>
>> I can't speak for Lightning, but there is a support newsgroup for it on
>> this server. We use ReminderFox, which integrates into the browser and
>> mail windows. You set your reminders by date, and how you want the
>> program to remind you, and you're set. It doesn't read anything from
>> your *.mab files, but once you've put recurring events in, it'll repeat
>> the reminders next time 'round.
>>
>> We have it installed on SM 2.0.11 under XP and Windows 7 machines, and
>> no complaints.
>
> Also, I don't see it mentions SeaMonkey support in
> http://www.reminderfox.org/documentation-install/ ... Or is there
> another site to get it for SM2?
At the following link you'll find many different add-ons to SeaMonkey:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/

At the top of the list when I last viewed it was ReminderFox (you may 
have to scroll to find it.)  Click on the 'Add to SeaMonkey' link and 
you should be prompted about installing it.  Click on 'Install now' and 
the file will download and install in one step.  In order to see the 
add-on functioning you'll have to re-start SM, and then you can 
customize to your heart's content.

Enjoy.
0
Rickles
12/30/2010 10:42:02 AM
[30.12.2010 07:17] �Ant� wrote:
> On 12/29/2010 9:01 AM PT, Rickles typed:
>
>> Not natively, but there are a couple of alternatives:
>> *-Lightning, which is a calendar development and separate program (like
>> browser and email are separate programs of the suite)
>> *-An SM add-on called ReminderFox.
>>
>> I can't speak for Lightning, but there is a support newsgroup for it on
>> this server. We use ReminderFox, which integrates into the browser and
>> mail windows. You set your reminders by date, and how you want the
>> program to remind you, and you're set. It doesn't read anything from
>> your *.mab files, but once you've put recurring events in, it'll repeat
>> the reminders next time 'round.
>>
>> We have it installed on SM 2.0.11 under XP and Windows 7 machines, and
>> no complaints.
>
> Also, I don't see it mentions SeaMonkey support in 
> http://www.reminderfox.org/documentation-install/ ... Or is there 
> another site to get it for SM2?
You are totally right .. and it's somehow frustrating not to see the 
compatibility of ReminderFox with the other Mozilla applications,

    - Seamonkey
    - Thunderbird
    - Postbox

Those apps give the user Email Integration � Messages
see here:
http://www.reminderfox.org/documentation-email-messages/

But that page also has only partial description of the whole feature set 
which ReminderFox offers.

I have written a more detailed documentation at

    http://reminderfox.mozdev.org/infoPages/en/overview.html

... but unfortunately that was not taken to the official pages -- until 
now, sorry.
(Don't blame me for the English text, I'm a native German, but I hope it 
will help anyway)

G�nter

0
gNeandr
12/30/2010 11:22:14 AM
On 12/30/2010 2:42 AM PT, Rickles typed:

>> Also, I don't see it mentions SeaMonkey support in
>> http://www.reminderfox.org/documentation-install/ ... Or is there
>> another site to get it for SM2?
 >
> At the following link you'll find many different add-ons to SeaMonkey:
>
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/
>
> At the top of the list when I last viewed it was ReminderFox (you may
> have to scroll to find it.) Click on the 'Add to SeaMonkey' link and you
> should be prompted about installing it. Click on 'Install now' and the
> file will download and install in one step. In order to see the add-on
> functioning you'll have to re-start SM, and then you can customize to
> your heart's content.

Thanks. I wonder why the developer doesn't mention SM on his own web 
site. :/
-- 
"The ambitious one makes friends with the elephant, then tramples upon 
the ant." --Indian
    /\___/\         Phil./Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
   / /\ /\ \                Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
  | |o   o| |
     \ _ /        If crediting, then use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
      ( )         If e-mailing, then axe ANT from its address if needed.
Ant is currently not listening to any songs on this computer.
0
Ant
12/30/2010 4:45:38 PM
On 12/30/2010 3:22 AM PT, gNeandr typed:

> I have written a more detailed documentation at
>
> http://reminderfox.mozdev.org/infoPages/en/overview.html
>
> .. but unfortunately that was not taken to the official pages -- until
> now, sorry.
> (Don't blame me for the English text, I'm a native German, but I hope it
> will help anyway)

Thanks. It's not too bad. :)
-- 
"The ant's a centaur in his dragon world. Pull down thy vanity, it is 
not man... Made courage, or made order, or made grace,... Pull down thy 
vanity, I say pull down. Learn of the green world what can be thy 
place... In scaled invention or true artistry,... Pull down thy 
vanity,... Paquin pull down! The green casque has outdone your 
elegance." --Ezra Pound's poem
    /\___/\         Phil./Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
   / /\ /\ \                Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
  | |o   o| |
     \ _ /        If crediting, then use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
      ( )         If e-mailing, then axe ANT from its address if needed.
Ant is currently not listening to any songs on this computer.
0
Ant
12/30/2010 4:47:14 PM
Reply: