My "Autoplay On/Off" plugin stopped working

I have had an "AUTOPLAY on/off" extention (plugin?) for a long time.
It worked fine.  Today it stopped working !  No apparent reason.
Using Windows 7 - with AutoUpdate Turned OFF - so it can't be screwed
with by MicroSoft.  If was "OFF" by default - so now I cannot turn in on...

I use Autoplay Off to stop FoxNews "Movies" from starting when I am
perusing the "News" - lol.

DoctorBill
0
DoctorBill
9/14/2020 4:51:16 PM
mozilla.support.seamonkey 13597 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

If was "OFF" by default - so now I cannot turn in on...  (TYPO)

IT (Autoplay) was off by default.    Since Autoplay isn't working - I cannot
turn Videos on now !

DB

0
DoctorBill
9/14/2020 4:53:58 PM
On 9/14/20 12:53 PM, DoctorBill wrote:
> If was "OFF" by default - so now I cannot turn in on...=C2=A0 (TYPO)
>=20
> IT (Autoplay) was off by default.=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0 Since Autoplay isn'=
t working - I=20
> cannot
> turn Videos on now !
>=20
> DB
>=20
>=20

Tried disabling or removing the extension?

--=20
OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop
https://give.thunderbird.net/en-US/

0
WaltS48
9/14/2020 7:01:27 PM
DoctorBill wrote:
> I have had an "AUTOPLAY on/off" extention (plugin?) for a long time.
> It worked fine.  Today it stopped working !  No apparent reason.
> Using Windows 7 - with AutoUpdate Turned OFF - so it can't be screwed
> with by MicroSoft.  If was "OFF" by default - so now I cannot turn in on...
>
> I use Autoplay Off to stop FoxNews "Movies" from starting when I am
> perusing the "News" - lol.
>
> DoctorBill

Plugins and extensions are not the same thing.
The extension I use to toggle autoplay is Autoplay Toggle
(Non-Restartless).  You can get it from addons.thunderbird.net.

0
EE
9/14/2020 8:06:01 PM
WaltS48 wrote:
> On 9/14/20 12:53 PM, DoctorBill wrote:
>> If was "OFF" by default - so now I cannot turn in on...  (TYPO)
>>
>> IT (Autoplay) was off by default.    Since Autoplay isn't working - I
>> cannot
>> turn Videos on now !
>>
>> DB
>>

> Tried disabling or removing the extension?

Been sooooo long ago - I don't know HOW to do that !
My files for programs are a MAZE of mostly unreadable garbage.
What is what ?

What a shame - that was such a good "toggle" to stop Websites from playing
annoying Videos w/o being asked first !

How can I tell if it was a Plugin or an extension ?  I see no
intelligible name in the SeaMonkey Extensions File.  Would it be this:
   {972ce4c6-7e08-4474-a285-3208198ce6fd}.xpi ?

DB
0
DoctorBill
9/15/2020 2:37:22 AM
DoctorBill wrote:
> I have had an "AUTOPLAY on/off" extention (plugin?) for a long time.
> It worked fine.  Today it stopped working !  No apparent reason.
> Using Windows 7 - with AutoUpdate Turned OFF - so it can't be screwed
> with by MicroSoft.  If was "OFF" by default - so now I cannot turn in on...
>
> I use Autoplay Off to stop FoxNews "Movies" from starting when I am
> perusing the "News" - lol.
>
> DoctorBill
For me there is a better solution to turning off autoplay than through a
plugin for turning off autoplay, and it is built in to SeaMonkey:

First go to the Location Bar of the browser window and type
"about:config" without the quotation marks. Then press return.  In the
page that comes up search for "media.autoplay.enabled" and set it to
false. This will turn off autoplay.

I have used this setting for years. When I want to view video on a web
page or at youtube I simply click on the video's play button.

This setting stops videos from autoplaying and lets the user decide if
they want to view a video by clicking the play button.  If this is the
function of the plugin you are using, this function is already built
into SeaMonkey by going to about:config
0
Paul
9/15/2020 2:52:10 AM
Paul Bergsagel wrote:
> DoctorBill wrote:
>> I have had an "AUTOPLAY on/off" extention (plugin?) for a long time.
>> It worked fine.  Today it stopped working !  No apparent reason.
>> Using Windows 7 - with AutoUpdate Turned OFF - so it can't be screwed
>> with by MicroSoft.  If was "OFF" by default - so now I cannot turn in
>> on...
>>
>> I use Autoplay Off to stop FoxNews "Movies" from starting when I am
>> perusing the "News" - lol.
>>
>> DoctorBill
> For me there is a better solution to turning off autoplay than through a
> plugin for turning off autoplay, and it is built in to SeaMonkey:
>
> First go to the Location Bar of the browser window and type
> "about:config" without the quotation marks. Then press return.  In the
> page that comes up search for "media.autoplay.enabled" and set it to
> false. This will turn off autoplay.
>
> I have used this setting for years. When I want to view video on a web
> page or at youtube I simply click on the video's play button.
>
> This setting stops videos from autoplaying and lets the user decide if
> they want to view a video by clicking the play button.  If this is the
> function of the plugin you are using, this function is already built
> into SeaMonkey by going to about:config

HEY !  GREAT !  Thanks !  It was set to False !  I changed it to True
and now
I can play videos !  YouTube etc.

It used to toggle on my menu bar, but it won't toggle there anymore.
Why would it suddenly stop toggling ?

Thanks again !

DB
0
DoctorBill
9/15/2020 3:42:05 AM
DoctorBill wrote:
> WaltS48 wrote:
>> On 9/14/20 12:53 PM, DoctorBill wrote:
>>> If was "OFF" by default - so now I cannot turn in on...  (TYPO)
>>>
>>> IT (Autoplay) was off by default.    Since Autoplay isn't working - I
>>> cannot
>>> turn Videos on now !
>>>
>>> DB
>>>

>> Tried disabling or removing the extension?
>>

> Been sooooo long ago - I don't know HOW to do that !
> My files for programs are a MAZE of mostly unreadable garbage.
> What is what ?
>
> What a shame - that was such a good "toggle" to stop Websites from playing
> annoying Videos w/o being asked first !
>
> How can I tell if it was a Plugin or an extension ?  I see no
> intelligible name in the SeaMonkey Extensions File.  Would it be this:
> {972ce4c6-7e08-4474-a285-3208198ce6fd}.xpi ?
>
> DB

I see you solved the problem using Paul's suggestion.

Now if you want to remove the extension, use Tools > Add-ons Manager
from the Menu bar, select Extensions, find and remove it.
0
WaltS48
9/15/2020 12:26:24 PM
DoctorBill wrote:
> WaltS48 wrote:
>> On 9/14/20 12:53 PM, DoctorBill wrote:
>>> If was "OFF" by default - so now I cannot turn in on...  (TYPO)
>>>
>>> IT (Autoplay) was off by default.    Since Autoplay isn't working - I
>>> cannot
>>> turn Videos on now !
>>>
>>> DB
>>>

>> Tried disabling or removing the extension?
>>

> Been sooooo long ago - I don't know HOW to do that !
> My files for programs are a MAZE of mostly unreadable garbage.
> What is what ?
>
> What a shame - that was such a good "toggle" to stop Websites from playing
> annoying Videos w/o being asked first !
>
> How can I tell if it was a Plugin or an extension ?  I see no
> intelligible name in the SeaMonkey Extensions File.  Would it be this:
> {972ce4c6-7e08-4474-a285-3208198ce6fd}.xpi ?
>
> DB

Pull down Tools menu > Add-ons Manager > Extensions and from there
disable or remove the extension that no longer works.

0
EE