Mozbackup to move SeaMonkey to new machine

Earlier I used Mozbackup to move Thunderbird 52.5.2 to my new Win 10
machine.  It worked flawlessly (unlike Mozilla's instructions which failed).

Just now, I used Mozbackup  to move SeaMonkey 2.48 (yes, I know there is
a newer version and I will update) to Windows 10.  It moved everything
EXCEPT my Extensions and also did not move Java 9 but moved Flash.

Is there any way to move the extensions?  I have a number of converted
ones and Stylish has several different user styles.  It will be slow
doing to have to install each one and convert the ones that need it and
copy the codes for User Styles.
0
Desiree
2/10/2018 1:01:01 AM
mozilla.support.seamonkey 12900 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On 2/10/18, Desiree <melelina@medscape.com> wrote:
> Earlier I used Mozbackup to move Thunderbird 52.5.2 to my new Win 10
> machine.  It worked flawlessly (unlike Mozilla's instructions which
> failed).
>
> Just now, I used Mozbackup  to move SeaMonkey 2.48 (yes, I know there is
> a newer version and I will update) to Windows 10.  It moved everything
> EXCEPT my Extensions and also did not move Java 9 but moved Flash.
>
> Is there any way to move the extensions?  I have a number of converted
> ones and Stylish has several different user styles.  It will be slow
> doing to have to install each one and convert the ones that need it and
> copy the codes for User Styles.

Rather than use mozbackup, I've always just copied my
  C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\SeaMonkey
folder to the new machine.

Regards,
Lee
0
Lee
2/10/2018 2:05:00 PM
Lee wrote:
>> Is there any way to move the extensions?  I have a number of converted
>> ones and Stylish has several different user styles.  It will be slow
>> doing to have to install each one and convert the ones that need it and
>> copy the codes for User Styles.

> Rather than use mozbackup, I've always just copied my
>    C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\SeaMonkey
> folder to the new machine.

Although I have long been a fan of Mozbackup, it's no longer under
development, and the developer's web page indicates that there's an
increasing number of things in the Mozilla architecture (even before
Quantum) that the last version doesn't account for.

Seamonkey (and for that matter, Thunderbird) may still be close enough
to the expectations that Mozbackup has, that you might be able to use it
to move to a new machine, but you would need to be prepared for the
possibility of problems in the profile on the new machine.

It is fairly simple to copy a profile, as noted above. Re-ambiguating,
the location, the location that will work on both machines is
%APPDATA%\Mozilla\Seamonkey, and if you copy the entirety of the
Seamonkey folder, that will grab all your profiles (if you have more
than one), and put them into folders with identical names. And you
should do that before launching Seamonkey for the first time (and
bypassing the initial start of the profile manager).

This approach will get *all* your Seamonkey data, including prefs,
bookmarks, mail stores, address books, server configs, and extensions.
About the only thing that Mozbackup accomplishes is that that one gives
you the ability for more granularity of what you back up or restore, and
it saves you from having to root around in your file system, of finding
the right folder(s) amid hidden folders, the specific names used in
system user IDs, or environment variables.

Although you're not asking the question, if you're wanting to move to
Seamonkey on a Linux platform, you could copy all your data to
$HOME/.mozilla/seamonkey -- it's that portable.  And it's also possible
to do the same thing with Mac, although I'm not fluent enough with Mac
that I remember the exact location and environment variable used.

Smith
0
NFN