MozBackup-1.5.2 & SeaMonkey

Anyone still using "MozBackup-1.5.2-beta1-EN" for back up in the 2.50.x
SeaMonkey's?

--
"This is America!  You can't make a horse
 testify against himself!"          -Mister Ed

🐴 Mr. Ed 🐴 wrote:
> Anyone still using "MozBackup-1.5.2-beta1-EN" for back up in the 2.50.x
> SeaMonkey's?

If you're referring to http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/ , that one has
been abandoned since 2012.  That's before Mozilla went to Rapid Release
for Firefox, and it's my understanding that the developer stopped
because even then, there were too many changes to Firefox to keep up
with maintenance.

I would not trust it for backups of Seamonkey 2.48 or 2.53.

Ultimately, making backups is merely a matter of getting the contents of
%APPDATA\Mozilla\Seamonkey copied to another location.

Smith
0
NFN
10/10/2020 5:48:33 PM
  <head>
  </head>
      cite="mid:Nr6dnROoIMdsbhzCnZ2dnUU7-cvNnZ2d@mozilla.org">🐴 Mr. Ed
      If you're referring to <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/">http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/</a> , that one
      has been abandoned since 2012.  That's before Mozilla went to
      Rapid Release for Firefox, and it's my understanding that the
      developer stopped because even then, there were too many changes
      to Firefox to keep up with maintenance.
      I would not trust it for backups of Seamonkey 2.48 or 2.53.
      Ultimately, making backups is merely a matter of getting the
      contents of %APPDATA\Mozilla\Seamonkey copied to another location.
      Smith
        True, but it was working up to 2.48.  I used it to copy when
        installing SM on a laptop.<br>
        A friend asked because he wanted to do the same and I wasn't
        sure if it worked after that since I've been doing a backup
        doing the same as you suggested each night using a batch file to
    <pre class="moz-signature" cols="78">--
"This is America!  You can't make a horse
 testify against himself!"          -Mister Ed</pre>
0
UTF
10/10/2020 11:25:41 PM
🐴 Mr. Ed 🐴 wrote:
> Anyone still using "MozBackup-1.5.2-beta1-EN" for back up in the 2.50.x
> SeaMonkey's?

I still use it on 2.53 and 2.54. I do not see why it would not work, all
is does is take you profile and zip and compress is in to a single file.
It does allow you to decide want you want to backup or restore.

I guess you could just use a WinZip program although not as quick and easy.
0
Danny
10/12/2020 3:06:54 PM
🐴 Mr. Ed 🐴 wrote:

> True, but it was working up to 2.48.  I used it to copy when installing
> SM on a laptop.
> A friend asked because he wanted to do the same and I wasn't sure if it
> worked after that since I've been doing a backup doing the same as you
> suggested each night using a batch file to get all my daily work backed up.

You may be OK if you're doing a backup of your entire profile, and where
any recovery you do is for all the data. From the notes I've seen (and
problems with keeping up with frequency of Mozilla changes), my
suspicion is that problems are likely to be related to partial recoveries.

Using MozBackup to copy a profile to a new machine may have minimal
risk, if you're not asking it to do more than write/read to a .ZIP archive.

In any case, the place you want to be careful about is overwriting
existing files. To me, the risk of data loss may be greater than zero.

I will note that there's a recent development of a Firefox backup tool
https://www.sordum.org/12298/simple-firefox-backup-v1-2/ . I know that
it exists, but haven't tried anything with it, and I don't know if you
can use it with Seamonkey or not. However, the notes on that page are
definitely worth reading, where they give adequate detail of their approach.

Smith
0
NFN