Moving SM Profile To New Computer - W10 SM 2.49.4 Lenovo Laptop

Hello all,

After trying to move the profile via MozBackup and not being able to
import the profile to the laptop, I finally moved a copy of the profile
(default) to the laptop and installed it in the SM directory.

I did create a new profile on that machine, pointed the new profile to
imported profile and the only thing which happens is that AdBlock is the
only item which appears on the browser, no bookmarks, no emails nada...

Any suggestions as to what I may have missed in the process of
transferring and/or installing on the new machine?

This is between a desktop and laptop.

TIA - bo1953

---
https://www.avg.com

0
bo1953
10/7/2018 3:29:50 PM
mozilla.support.seamonkey 12968 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Close SeaMonkey and make sure it is not running any longer in the background.

Zip the complete AppData\Roaming\mozilla\SeaMonkey under your profile. If you
use only SeaMonkey or want to move Fx too zip AppData\Roaming\mozilla\

On the new PC use the same userid if possible. Delete the compete
AppData\Roaming\mozilla\SeaMonkey directory. Unzip you backup and you should
be good to go. I regularly do this doing tests in VMs. Works in Vista to 10.
XP / Server 2003 has a slightly different structure but basically the same.

FRG

bo1953 wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> After trying to move the profile via MozBackup and not being able to import
> the profile to the laptop, I finally moved a copy of the profile (default) to
> the laptop and installed it in the SM directory.
>
> I did create a new profile on that machine, pointed the new profile to
> imported profile and the only thing which happens is that AdBlock is the only
> item which appears on the browser, no bookmarks, no emails nada...
>
> Any suggestions as to what I may have missed in the process of transferring
> and/or installing on the new machine?
>
> This is between a desktop and laptop.
>
> TIA - bo1953
>
> ---
> https://www.avg.com

0
Frank
10/7/2018 9:53:44 PM
Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:
> Close SeaMonkey and make sure it is not running any longer in the
> background.
>
> Zip the complete AppData\Roaming\mozilla\SeaMonkey under your profile.
> If you use only SeaMonkey or want to move Fx too zip
> AppData\Roaming\mozilla\
>
> On the new PC use the same userid if possible. Delete the compete
> AppData\Roaming\mozilla\SeaMonkey directory. Unzip you backup and you
> should be good to go. I regularly do this doing tests in VMs. Works in
> Vista to 10. XP / Server 2003 has a slightly different structure but
> basically the same.

Also works to move to another OS. Move to Linux move contents of
SeaMonkey dir from

%APPDATA%\Mozilla\SeaMonkey to ~/.mozilla/seamonkey

Just works...

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
0
Jonathan
10/7/2018 10:52:04 PM
bo1953 wrote:

> After trying to move the profile via MozBackup and not being able to
> import the profile to the laptop, I finally moved a copy of the profile
> (default) to the laptop and installed it in the SM directory.

Other follow-ups have good advice, and you should follow them.

In the meantime, you probably should forget about MozBackup. That one
was abandoned by its developer several years ago, and there's a growing
number of things in Mozilla architecture that it doesn't account for --
in particular, that would be Firefox (especially Quantum), and perhaps
there's less issues with current versions of Firefox.  However, it's
likely that there's stuff in Seamonkey that's newer than the last
release of MozBackup doesn't account for.

You're definitely better off in making a straight copy of the entire
profile (using a zip archive is good, but not essential), and has been
noted, it's easy to move a profile across platforms, whether Windows,
Linux or Mac.

Smith
0
NFN
10/8/2018 3:00:08 PM
NFN Smith wrote:

> In the meantime, you probably should forget about MozBackup. That one
> was abandoned by its developer several years ago

Also is just isn't necessary.

Q: Want to backup your profile?
A: Just ZIP, RAR, TAR, GZIP, 7ZIP, whatever your seamonkey directory
(wherever it resides OS specific) to some place safe.

--
Take care,

Jonathan