Master Password in new SeaMonkey 2.53.1

When launching new SeaMonkey 2.53.1 I will be prompted two times to enter t=
he master password for the security device. This was not the case in the pr=
evious version. Moreover, I am only using one security the device, the soft=
ware devicie. For the Generic Crypto Services I have not set a password.

Any explanation and how could I overcome this since in the long term it is =
laboriously, tedious and cumbersome to enter every launch of Seamonkey two =
times the same pw?

mozilla.support.seamonkey 13415 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

d.e.r.b@mail.pcom.de wrote on 3/25/20 10:51 AM:
> When launching new SeaMonkey 2.53.1 I will be prompted two times to enter the master password for the security device. This was not the case in the previous version. Moreover, I am only using one security the device, the software devicie. For the Generic Crypto Services I have not set a password.
>
> Any explanation and how could I overcome this since in the long term it is laboriously, tedious and cumbersome to enter every launch of Seamonkey two times the same pw?
>
> Thanks

Dear d.e.r.,
I never had that with my master pwd in /seamonkey/
IT ALWAY WAS *ONE TIME*

--
GérardJan Vinkesteijn-Rudersdorff

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0
SeaMonkey/2.53.1 beta 1
Build identifier: 20191230001009

If A equals success, then the formula is A = X + Y + Z.
X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut.
         -- Albert Einstein
0
GerardJan
3/25/2020 1:02:14 PM
d.e.r.b@mail.pcom.de wrote:
> When launching new SeaMonkey 2.53.1 I will be prompted two times to enter the master password for the security device. This was not the case in the previous version. Moreover, I am only using one security the device, the software devicie. For the Generic Crypto Services I have not set a password.
>
> Any explanation and how could I overcome this since in the long term it is laboriously, tedious and cumbersome to enter every launch of Seamonkey two times the same pw?
>
> Thanks

Is the old key3.db and cart8.db still in the profile folder?

FRG
0
Frank
3/29/2020 1:51:59 PM
On 3/29/20 9:51 AM, Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:
> d.e.r.b@mail.pcom.de wrote:
>> When launching new SeaMonkey 2.53.1 I will be prompted two times to
>> enter the master password for the security device. This was not the
>> case in the previous version. Moreover, I am only using one security
>> the device, the software devicie. For the Generic Crypto Services I
>> have not set a password.
>>
>> Any explanation and how could I overcome this since in the long term
>> it is laboriously, tedious and cumbersome to enter every launch of
>> Seamonkey two times the same pw?
>>
>> Thanks
>>

> Is the old key3.db and cart8.db still in the profile folder?
>
> FRG

cert8.db?

--
OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop
https://give.thunderbird.net/en-US/

0
WaltS48
3/29/2020 2:18:24 PM
Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:
> d.e.r.b@mail.pcom.de wrote:
>> When launching new SeaMonkey 2.53.1 I will be prompted two times to
>> enter the master password for the security device. This was not the
>> case in the previous version. Moreover, I am only using one security
>> the device, the software devicie. For the Generic Crypto Services I
>> have not set a password.
>>
>> Any explanation and how could I overcome this since in the long term
>> it is laboriously, tedious and cumbersome to enter every launch of
>> Seamonkey two times the same pw?
>>
>> Thanks
>>

> Is the old key3.db and cart8.db still in the profile folder?

On my 2.53.1 system, they is (assuming you mean cErt8.db), along with
the old key4.db and the new cert9.db. Can't speak for the OP.

Paul B. Gallagher

0
Paul
3/29/2020 2:58:23 PM
Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
> Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:
>> d.e.r.b@mail.pcom.de wrote:
>>> When launching new SeaMonkey 2.53.1 I will be prompted two times to enter
>>> the master password for the security device. This was not the case in the
>>> previous version. Moreover, I am only using one security the device, the
>>> software devicie. For the Generic Crypto Services I have not set a password.
>>>
>>> Any explanation and how could I overcome this since in the long term it is
>>> laboriously, tedious and cumbersome to enter every launch of Seamonkey two
>>> times the same pw?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>

>> Is the old key3.db and cart8.db still in the profile folder?
>
> On my 2.53.1 system, they is (assuming you mean cErt8.db), along with the old
> key4.db and the new cert9.db. Can't speak for the OP.

New pair is key4.db and cert9.db. Please remove the old key3.db and cert8.db.

FRG
0
Frank
3/29/2020 4:06:53 PM
Am Sonntag, 29. M=C3=A4rz 2020 18:07:08 UTC+2 schrieb Frank-Rainer Grahl:
> Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
> > Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:

> >> Is the old key3.db and cart8.db still in the profile folder?
> >=20
> > On my 2.53.1 system, they is (assuming you mean cErt8.db), along with t=
he old=20
> > key4.db and the new cert9.db. Can't speak for the OP.
> >=20
>=20
> New pair is key4.db and cert9.db. Please remove the old key3.db and cert8=
..db.
>=20
> FRG

The old files are not in the profile folder.

But unfortunately, I did not remove the master password before upgrading to=
 SeaMonkey 2.53.1

Should I do an uninstallation and a new one?

RB
d.e.r.b@mail.pcom.de wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 29. März 2020 18:07:08 UTC+2 schrieb Frank-Rainer Grahl:
>> Paul B. Gallagher wrote:

>>> On my 2.53.1 system, they is (assuming you mean cErt8.db), along with the old
>>> key4.db and the new cert9.db. Can't speak for the OP.
>>>

>> New pair is key4.db and cert9.db. Please remove the old key3.db and cert8.db.
>>
>> FRG
>
> The old files are not in the profile folder.
>
> But unfortunately, I did not remove the master password before upgrading to SeaMonkey 2.53.1
>
> Should I do an uninstallation and a new one?
>
> RB

Uninstall won't help. I wonder why the old ones got deleted unless you removed
them yourself after the update. Try removing the master password and re adding
it. See the release notes. You need to change the password to remove it.

This might help:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1722615

FRG

0
Frank
3/29/2020 5:59:41 PM
d.e.r.b@mail.pcom.de wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 29. März 2020 18:07:08 UTC+2 schrieb Frank-Rainer Grahl:
>> Paul B. Gallagher wrote:

>>> On my 2.53.1 system, they is (assuming you mean cErt8.db), along with the old
>>> key4.db and the new cert9.db. Can't speak for the OP.
>>>

>> New pair is key4.db and cert9.db. Please remove the old key3.db and cert8.db.
>>
>> FRG
>
> The old files are not in the profile folder.
>
> But unfortunately, I did not remove the master password before upgrading to SeaMonkey 2.53.1
>
> Should I do an uninstallation and a new one?
>
> RB

This is a problem with data (which means the profile), not the program.
Reinstalling will definitively not help, creating a new profile would
but then you would need to re-input all kinds of stuff.

--
spammo ergo sum, viruses courtesy of https://www.nsa.gov/malware/
0
d.e.r.b wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 29. März 2020 18:07:08 UTC+2 schrieb Frank-Rainer Grahl:
>> Paul B. Gallagher wrote:

>>> On my 2.53.1 system, they is (assuming you mean cErt8.db), along with the old
>>> key4.db and the new cert9.db. Can't speak for the OP.
>>>

>> New pair is key4.db and cert9.db. Please remove the old key3.db and cert8.db.
>>
>> FRG
>
> The old files are not in the profile folder.
>
> But unfortunately, I did not remove the master password before upgrading to SeaMonkey 2.53.1
>
> Should I do an uninstallation and a new one?

Although not the recommended procedure, I've found that the passwords
are converted to the new format even with a master password set PROVIDED
you enter the master password when prompted the first time you start
2.53.1.  If for any reason (distraction, crash, power outage, etc.) you
don't enter the password during that first run, the old password
database key is deleted without being converted to the new format - so
it's safer to remove the master password before upgrading, and reinstate
it afterwards.

Check whether your passwords are still shown at Tools > Data Manager.
If they are, you're probably OK even if you didn't remove the master
password before updating as recommended.  If not, the old passwords key
will have already been deleted from your profile even though it wasn't
converted, so the older version won't be able to read your passwords
anyway.  You'd need to restore your profile from a backup, as well as
ideally going back to the previous version to remove the master password
before updating again.

I've also found that the old key3.db is sometimes automatically deleted
after that initial conversion (leaving only the new key4.db), but the
old cert8.db is not deleted (leaving both cert8.db and the new
cert9.db).  So it might only be necessary to delete cert8.db (DO NOT
delete key4.db - that's the key for your password database).

--
Mark.

0
mozilla
3/29/2020 8:20:25 PM
Am Sonntag, 29. M=C3=A4rz 2020 22:20:43 UTC+2 schrieb mozilla-li...@spamgou=
rmet.com:
> d.e.r.b wrote:
> > Am Sonntag, 29. M=C3=A4rz 2020 18:07:08 UTC+2 schrieb Frank-Rainer Grah=
l:

> >> New pair is key4.db and cert9.db. Please remove the old key3.db and ce=
rt8.db.

> >> FRG
> >=20
> > The old files are not in the profile folder.
> >=20
> > But unfortunately, I did not remove the master password before upgradin=
g to SeaMonkey 2.53.1
> >=20
> > Should I do an uninstallation and a new one?
>=20
> Although not the recommended procedure, I've found that the passwords=20
> are converted to the new format even with a master password set PROVIDED=
=20
> you enter the master password when prompted the first time you start=20
> 2.53.1.  If for any reason (distraction, crash, power outage, etc.) you=
=20
> don't enter the password during that first run, the old password=20
> database key is deleted without being converted to the new format - so=20
> it's safer to remove the master password before upgrading, and reinstate=
=20
> it afterwards.
>=20
> Check whether your passwords are still shown at Tools > Data Manager.=20
> If they are, you're probably OK even if you didn't remove the master=20
> password before updating as recommended.  If not, the old passwords key=
=20
> will have already been deleted from your profile even though it wasn't=20
> converted, so the older version won't be able to read your passwords=20
> anyway.  You'd need to restore your profile from a backup, as well as=20
> ideally going back to the previous version to remove the master password=
=20
> before updating again.
>=20
> I've also found that the old key3.db is sometimes automatically deleted=
=20
> after that initial conversion (leaving only the new key4.db), but the=20
> old cert8.db is not deleted (leaving both cert8.db and the new=20
> cert9.db).  So it might only be necessary to delete cert8.db (DO NOT=20
> delete key4.db - that's the key for your password database).
> =20
> --=20
> Mark.

I have made the same experience with the migration of passwords regarding t=
he password database files. And fortunately I have access to my passwords.

My question and issues is that when launching Seamonkey I am requested two =
times to enter the password, i.e. the window to enter the password pops up =
two times.
Even although I have deleted cert8.db and key3.db.

Reinhard
d.e.r.b@mail.pcom.de wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 29. März 2020 22:20:43 UTC+2 schrieb mozilla-li...@spamgourmet.com:
>> d.e.r.b wrote:

>>> The old files are not in the profile folder.
>>>
>>> But unfortunately, I did not remove the master password before upgrading to SeaMonkey 2.53.1
>>>
>>> Should I do an uninstallation and a new one?
>>
>> Although not the recommended procedure, I've found that the passwords
>> are converted to the new format even with a master password set PROVIDED
>> you enter the master password when prompted the first time you start
>> 2.53.1.  If for any reason (distraction, crash, power outage, etc.) you
>> don't enter the password during that first run, the old password
>> database key is deleted without being converted to the new format - so
>> it's safer to remove the master password before upgrading, and reinstate
>> it afterwards.
>>
>> Check whether your passwords are still shown at Tools > Data Manager.
>> If they are, you're probably OK even if you didn't remove the master
>> password before updating as recommended.  If not, the old passwords key
>> will have already been deleted from your profile even though it wasn't
>> converted, so the older version won't be able to read your passwords
>> anyway.  You'd need to restore your profile from a backup, as well as
>> ideally going back to the previous version to remove the master password
>> before updating again.
>>
>> I've also found that the old key3.db is sometimes automatically deleted
>> after that initial conversion (leaving only the new key4.db), but the
>> old cert8.db is not deleted (leaving both cert8.db and the new
>> cert9.db).  So it might only be necessary to delete cert8.db (DO NOT
>> delete key4.db - that's the key for your password database).
>>
>> --
>> Mark.
>
> I have made the same experience with the migration of passwords regarding the password database files. And fortunately I have access to my passwords.
>
> My question and issues is that when launching Seamonkey I am requested two times to enter the password, i.e. the window to enter the password pops up two times.
> Even although I have deleted cert8.db and key3.db.
>
> Reinhard

Did you read my previous reply? It might be caused by "Check messages at
startup". Old error.

FRG
0
Frank
3/31/2020 8:48:00 AM
Am Dienstag, 31. M=C3=A4rz 2020 10:48:07 UTC+2 schrieb Frank-Rainer Grahl:
> d.e.r.b@mail.pcom.de wrote:
> > Am Sonntag, 29. M=C3=A4rz 2020 22:20:43 UTC+2 schrieb mozilla-li...@spa=
mgourmet.com:

> >> Although not the recommended procedure, I've found that the passwords
> >> are converted to the new format even with a master password set PROVID=
ED
> >> you enter the master password when prompted the first time you start
> >> 2.53.1.  If for any reason (distraction, crash, power outage, etc.) yo=
> >> don't enter the password during that first run, the old password
> >> database key is deleted without being converted to the new format - so
> >> it's safer to remove the master password before upgrading, and reinsta=
te
> >> it afterwards.
> >>
> >> Check whether your passwords are still shown at Tools > Data Manager.
> >> If they are, you're probably OK even if you didn't remove the master
> >> password before updating as recommended.  If not, the old passwords ke=
> >> will have already been deleted from your profile even though it wasn't
> >> converted, so the older version won't be able to read your passwords
> >> anyway.  You'd need to restore your profile from a backup, as well as
> >> ideally going back to the previous version to remove the master passwo=
rd
> >> before updating again.
> >>
> >> I've also found that the old key3.db is sometimes automatically delete=
> >> after that initial conversion (leaving only the new key4.db), but the
> >> old cert8.db is not deleted (leaving both cert8.db and the new
> >> cert9.db).  So it might only be necessary to delete cert8.db (DO NOT
> >> delete key4.db - that's the key for your password database).
> >>  =20
> >> --=20
> >> Mark.
> >=20
> > I have made the same experience with the migration of passwords regardi=
ng the password database files. And fortunately I have access to my passwor=
ds.
> >=20
> > My question and issues is that when launching Seamonkey I am requested =
two times to enter the password, i.e. the window to enter the password pops=
 up two times.
> > Even although I have deleted cert8.db and key3.db.
> >=20
> > Reinhard
> >=20
>=20
> Did you read my previous reply? It might be caused by "Check messages at=
=20
> startup". Old error.
>=20
> FRG

It does not overcome the issue when disabling "Checking messages at startup=
". Moreover, it was not a problem in all the previous versions.

RB
Am Dienstag, 31. M=C3=A4rz 2020 12:56:58 UTC+2 schrieb d....@mail.pcom.de:
> Am Dienstag, 31. M=C3=A4rz 2020 10:48:07 UTC+2 schrieb Frank-Rainer Grahl=
:
> > d.e.r.b@mail.pcom.de wrote:
> > > Am Sonntag, 29. M=C3=A4rz 2020 22:20:43 UTC+2 schrieb mozilla-li...@s=
pamgourmet.com:
Grahl:

IDED

> > >=20
> > > I have made the same experience with the migration of passwords regar=
ding the password database files. And fortunately I have access to my passw=
ords.
> > >=20
> > > My question and issues is that when launching Seamonkey I am requeste=
d two times to enter the password, i.e. the window to enter the password po=
ps up two times.
> > > Even although I have deleted cert8.db and key3.db.
> > >=20
> > > Reinhard
> > >=20
> >=20
> > Did you read my previous reply? It might be caused by "Check messages a=
t=20
> > startup". Old error.
> >=20
> > FRG
>=20
> It does not overcome the issue when disabling "Checking messages at start=
up". Moreover, it was not a problem in all the previous versions.
>=20
> RB

I uninstalled v. 2.53.1, replaced the profile from a backup with v. 2.49.5,=
 installed v. 2.49.5, set master pw empty, upgraded to v. 2.53.1, so I did =
it the described right way. But even this did not resolve the problem of tw=
o prompts for the pw.
What I observed is that I have to enter the pw only the first time and pres=
s on the second prompt just enter without filling in a pw.
d.e.r.b wrote:
> I uninstalled v. 2.53.1, replaced the profile from a backup with v. 2.49.5, installed v. 2.49.5, set master pw empty, upgraded to v. 2.53.1, so I did it the described right way. But even this did not resolve the problem of two prompts for the pw.
> What I observed is that I have to enter the pw only the first time and press on the second prompt just enter without filling in a pw.

Have you tried restarting SeaMonkey with addons disabled (aka "safe
mode")?  Help > Restart with Add-ons Disabled (or on Windows, I think
there's usually a "SeaMonkey (Safe Mode)" entry on the start menu.
There's no need to make any of the changes permanent yet.

I don't know if it's possible, but maybe some extension is triggering a
second password prompt before you've had a chance to respond to the
first one.  But once you've responded to the first one, the database is
unlocked so it doesn't actually matter whether you enter the password
the second time.

--
Mark.

0
mozilla
4/3/2020 7:37:49 PM
Am Freitag, 3. April 2020 21:38:07 UTC+2 schrieb mozilla-li...@spamgourmet.com:
> d.e.r.b wrote:
> > I uninstalled v. 2.53.1, replaced the profile from a backup with v. 2.49.5, installed v. 2.49.5, set master pw empty, upgraded to v. 2.53.1, so I did it the described right way. But even this did not resolve the problem of two prompts for the pw.
> > What I observed is that I have to enter the pw only the first time and press on the second prompt just enter without filling in a pw.
>
> Have you tried restarting SeaMonkey with addons disabled (aka "safe
> mode")?  Help > Restart with Add-ons Disabled (or on Windows, I think
> there's usually a "SeaMonkey (Safe Mode)" entry on the start menu.
> There's no need to make any of the changes permanent yet.
>
> I don't know if it's possible, but maybe some extension is triggering a
> second password prompt before you've had a chance to respond to the
> first one.  But once you've responded to the first one, the database is
> unlocked so it doesn't actually matter whether you enter the password
> the second time.
>
> --
> Mark.

Thanks for the suggestion. But unfortunately it makes it worse. In add-ins disabled mode I have to enter the pw definitively two times. When I pres just ok the second time it prompts again for the pw and does not open seamonkey before I enter the pw again.
Since it works fine before 2.53.1 it seems to be a bug.

Reinhard
d.e.r.b@mail.pcom.de wrote:
> Am Freitag, 3. April 2020 21:38:07 UTC+2 schrieb mozilla-li...@spamgourmet.com:
>> d.e.r.b wrote:
>>> I uninstalled v. 2.53.1, replaced the profile from a backup with v. 2.49.5, installed v. 2.49.5, set master pw empty, upgraded to v. 2.53.1, so I did it the described right way. But even this did not resolve the problem of two prompts for the pw.
>>> What I observed is that I have to enter the pw only the first time and press on the second prompt just enter without filling in a pw.
>>
>> Have you tried restarting SeaMonkey with addons disabled (aka "safe
>> mode")?  Help > Restart with Add-ons Disabled (or on Windows, I think
>> there's usually a "SeaMonkey (Safe Mode)" entry on the start menu.
>> There's no need to make any of the changes permanent yet.
>>
>> I don't know if it's possible, but maybe some extension is triggering a
>> second password prompt before you've had a chance to respond to the
>> first one.  But once you've responded to the first one, the database is
>> unlocked so it doesn't actually matter whether you enter the password
>> the second time.
>>
>> --
>> Mark.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion. But unfortunately it makes it worse. In add-ins disabled mode I have to enter the pw definitively two times. When I pres just ok the second time it prompts again for the pw and does not open seamonkey before I enter the pw again.
> Since it works fine before 2.53.1 it seems to be a bug.
>
> Reinhard

Are you using CALDAV?

FRG
0