Mail Attachments - Save All or Detach All under Linux

I have discovered this problem which occurs on two different machines
with two different versions of Seamonkey - 2.53.3 and 2.53.5 - under
OpenSuse.
Given a mail with multiple attachments, "Save All" or "Detach All"
starts a process which takes 100% of one processor but does otherwise
nothing.
If I Quit Seamonkey the process remains.
If I kill the process instead of Quitting Seamonkey, Seamonkey dies with
the process.
Saving the attachments individually works.

I repeated the test on my Windows 10 machine - with 2.53.4 - and there
were no problems there.
Is this a Seamonkey/Linux problem or a Seamonkey/OpenSuse problem?

--
spammo ergo sum, viruses courtesy of https://www.nsa.gov/malware/
0

On 2020-11-17, Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote:

> I have discovered this problem which occurs on two different machines
> with two different versions of Seamonkey - 2.53.3 and 2.53.5 - under
> OpenSuse.
> Given a mail with multiple attachments, "Save All" or "Detach All"
> starts a process which takes 100% of one processor but does otherwise
> nothing.
> If I Quit Seamonkey the process remains.
> If I kill the process instead of Quitting Seamonkey, Seamonkey dies
> with the process.
> Saving the attachments individually works.
>
> I repeated the test on my Windows 10 machine - with 2.53.4 - and there
> were no problems there.
> Is this a Seamonkey/Linux problem or a Seamonkey/OpenSuse problem?

Do you know which file picker is SeaMonkey using?

What is the value of the ui.allow_platform_file_picker setting? (You can
check that, for example, in about:config.)

(What is the separate process that gets started?)

--
Nuno Silva
0
Nuno Silva wrote:
> On 2020-11-17, Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote:
>
>> I have discovered this problem which occurs on two different machines
>> with two different versions of Seamonkey - 2.53.3 and 2.53.5 - under
>> OpenSuse.
>> Given a mail with multiple attachments, "Save All" or "Detach All"
>> starts a process which takes 100% of one processor but does otherwise
>> nothing.
>> If I Quit Seamonkey the process remains.
>> If I kill the process instead of Quitting Seamonkey, Seamonkey dies
>> with the process.
>> Saving the attachments individually works.
>>
>> I repeated the test on my Windows 10 machine - with 2.53.4 - and there
>> were no problems there.
>> Is this a Seamonkey/Linux problem or a Seamonkey/OpenSuse problem?
>
> Do you know which file picker is SeaMonkey using?
>
> What is the value of the ui.allow_platform_file_picker setting? (You can
> check that, for example, in about:config.)
>
> (What is the separate process that gets started?)

ui.allow_platform_file_picker was set to false, that feels a bit weird.
I have no idea what the separate process is, "top -i" simply identifies
it as seamonkey.

ok, setting ui.allow_platform_file_picker back to the default value is
as ugly as f*** but it works.  Thank you very muchly.

I don't know why I had changed the value but it was probably either
something I read here - and which will have applied to an older level -
or (less likely) something which applied to Firefox.

--
spammo ergo sum, viruses courtesy of https://www.nsa.gov/malware/
0
Don
11/18/2020 3:04:17 PM
On 2020-11-18, Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote:

> Nuno Silva wrote:
>> On 2020-11-17, Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote:
>>
>>> I have discovered this problem which occurs on two different machines
>>> with two different versions of Seamonkey - 2.53.3 and 2.53.5 - under
>>> OpenSuse.
>>> Given a mail with multiple attachments, "Save All" or "Detach All"
>>> starts a process which takes 100% of one processor but does otherwise
>>> nothing.
>>> If I Quit Seamonkey the process remains.
>>> If I kill the process instead of Quitting Seamonkey, Seamonkey dies
>>> with the process.
>>> Saving the attachments individually works.
>>>
>>> I repeated the test on my Windows 10 machine - with 2.53.4 - and there
>>> were no problems there.
>>> Is this a Seamonkey/Linux problem or a Seamonkey/OpenSuse problem?
>>
>> Do you know which file picker is SeaMonkey using?
>>
>> What is the value of the ui.allow_platform_file_picker setting? (You can
>> check that, for example, in about:config.)
>>
>> (What is the separate process that gets started?)
>>

> ui.allow_platform_file_picker was set to false, that feels a bit weird.
> I have no idea what the separate process is, "top -i" simply
> identifies it as seamonkey.

And is it really a separate process, and not the original seamonkey
process? Could you please confirm this?

> ok, setting ui.allow_platform_file_picker back to the default value is
> as ugly as f*** but it works.  Thank you very muchly.
>
> I don't know why I had changed the value but it was probably either
> something I read here - and which will have applied to an older level
> -
> or (less likely) something which applied to Firefox.

With that setting set to false, SeaMonkey uses the XUL file picker,
which I can't use with directories / when saving multiple files
(bug 1661070[1]), but I didn't see a separate process using 100% CPU
(I'll check again).

[1] http://bugzil.la/1661070

--
Nuno Silva
0
On 2020-11-18, Nuno Silva wrote:

> On 2020-11-18, Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote:
>
>> Nuno Silva wrote:

>>> Do you know which file picker is SeaMonkey using?
>>>
>>> What is the value of the ui.allow_platform_file_picker setting? (You can
>>> check that, for example, in about:config.)
>>>
>>> (What is the separate process that gets started?)
>>>

>> ui.allow_platform_file_picker was set to false, that feels a bit weird.
>> I have no idea what the separate process is, "top -i" simply
>> identifies it as seamonkey.
>
> And is it really a separate process, and not the original seamonkey
> process? Could you please confirm this?
>
>> ok, setting ui.allow_platform_file_picker back to the default value is
>> as ugly as f*** but it works.  Thank you very muchly.
>>
>> I don't know why I had changed the value but it was probably either
>> something I read here - and which will have applied to an older level
>> -
>> or (less likely) something which applied to Firefox.
>
> With that setting set to false, SeaMonkey uses the XUL file picker,
> which I can't use with directories / when saving multiple files
> (bug 1661070[1]), but I didn't see a separate process using 100% CPU
> (I'll check again).
>
> [1] http://bugzil.la/1661070

I don't see a new, separate process, but I see the high CPU usage (in
the seamonkey process) after doing Save As on multiple Mail&News
attachments using the XUL file picker.

This does not happen when I try to save multiple items in the Page Info
Media tab.

--
Nuno Silva
0
Nuno Silva wrote:
> On 2020-11-18, Nuno Silva wrote:

>>> ui.allow_platform_file_picker was set to false, that feels a bit weird.
>>> I have no idea what the separate process is, "top -i" simply
>>> identifies it as seamonkey.
>>
>> And is it really a separate process, and not the original seamonkey
>> process? Could you please confirm this?
>>
>>> ok, setting ui.allow_platform_file_picker back to the default value is
>>> as ugly as f*** but it works.  Thank you very muchly.
>>>
>>> I don't know why I had changed the value but it was probably either
>>> something I read here - and which will have applied to an older level
>>> -
>>> or (less likely) something which applied to Firefox.
>>
>> With that setting set to false, SeaMonkey uses the XUL file picker,
>> which I can't use with directories / when saving multiple files
>> (bug 1661070[1]), but I didn't see a separate process using 100% CPU
>> (I'll check again).
>>
>> [1] http://bugzil.la/1661070
>
> I don't see a new, separate process, but I see the high CPU usage (in
> the seamonkey process) after doing Save As on multiple Mail&News
> attachments using the XUL file picker.
>
> This does not happen when I try to save multiple items in the Page Info
> Media tab.

It may not have been a separate process, I had assumed that it was for
two reasons:
- Seamonkey was otherwise useable
- Quitting Seamonkey closed all its windows but left the process still
running

To me, that meant that the real work was being carried out in a separate
thread.  Of course, the fact that killing the 100% process nuked an
active Seamonkey was not necessarily compatible with my theory.