Lightning Found

I found the lightning extension. I had copied my old 2.49.4 profile and
it didn't have the correct version of Lightning. I found the correct one
in a new default profile, and copied it to my old profile. I then had to
enable it and it worked.

---
https://www.avg.com

0
rob
9/11/2019 4:01:27 AM
mozilla.support.seamonkey 13324 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

rob wrote:
> I found the lightning extension. I had copied my old 2.49.4 profile and
> it didn't have the correct version of Lightning. I found the correct one
> in a new default profile, and copied it to my old profile. I then had to
> enable it and it worked.
>
> ---
> https://www.avg.com

You don't need the Lightning Extension.  Lightning now is built into the
SeaMonkey email app. Get rid of the lightning extension...its not needed.
0
Paul
9/12/2019 2:53:16 AM
Paul Bergsagel wrote:
> rob wrote:
>> I found the lightning extension. I had copied my old 2.49.4 profile
>> and it didn't have the correct version of Lightning. I found the
>> correct one in a new default profile, and copied it to my old
>> profile. I then had to enable it and it worked.
>>
>> ---
>> https://www.avg.com
>>
> You don't need the Lightning Extension.  Lightning now is built into
> the SeaMonkey email app. Get rid of the lightning extension...its not
> needed.

What happens if it is installed? Is it automatically disabled and or
ignored?
0
Ronnie
9/12/2019 2:58:50 AM
rob wrote:
> I found the lightning extension. I had copied my old 2.49.4 profile and
> it didn't have the correct version of Lightning. I found the correct one
> in a new default profile, and copied it to my old profile. I then had to
> enable it and it worked.
>
> ---
> https://www.avg.com

You must have missed my earlier post about problems using an older
profile with the 2.49.5. In fact the correct version of Lightning wasn't
in the older profile and I couldn't find a working extension to install.
The older profile wasn't properly updated so I had to figure out where
it was and copy it into the older profile which I did.
0
rob
9/12/2019 3:23:08 AM

rob wrote:
> rob wrote:
>> I found the lightning extension. I had copied my old 2.49.4 profile and it
>> didn't have the correct version of Lightning. I found the correct one in a
>> new default profile, and copied it to my old profile. I then had to enable
>> it and it worked.
>>
>> ---
>> https://www.avg.com
>>

> You must have missed my earlier post about problems using an older profile
> with the 2.49.5. In fact the correct version of Lightning wasn't in the older
> profile and I couldn't find a working extension to install. The older profile
> wasn't properly updated so I had to figure out where it was and copy it into
> the older profile which I did.

Well there are the release notes too...

Known Issues
Lightning or one of the distributed extensions is not showing up or is
disabled under Add-ons.

https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/seamonkey2.49.5/

FRG
0
Frank
9/12/2019 7:46:55 AM
Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:

> rob wrote:
>> rob wrote:
>>> I found the lightning extension. I had copied my old 2.49.4 profile
>>> and it didn't have the correct version of Lightning. I found the
>>> correct one in a new default profile, and copied it to my old
>>> profile. I then had to enable it and it worked.
>>>
>>> ---
>>> https://www.avg.com
>>>

>> You must have missed my earlier post about problems using an older
>> profile with the 2.49.5. In fact the correct version of Lightning
>> wasn't in the older profile and I couldn't find a working extension to
>> install. The older profile wasn't properly updated so I had to figure
>> out where it was and copy it into the older profile which I did.
>
> Well there are the release notes too...
>
> Known Issues
> Lightning or one of the distributed extensions is not showing up or is
> disabled under Add-ons.
>
> https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/seamonkey2.49.5/
>
> FRG

Having looked at those release notes, BACK UP YOUR PROFILE FOLDER (while
Seamonkey is not running) BEFORE INSTALLING 2.49.5.
Several things can potentially go wrong, and the first start of 2.49.5
makes the profile unusable for 2.49.4 so simply dropping down a level
causes part of the profile to be marked as corrupt and reinitialised.
I have 3 machines which use the same profile, one "master" and two where
I sometimes replace the profile with a new copy of the master.
The two copies are going to be upgraded first, although I'll wait for
2.49.5 to appear in the repository rather than going proactive.
If I'm not unlucky the problems won't affect my setup anyway.

--
spammus ergo sum, viruses courtesy of https://www.nsa.gov/malware/
0

Ronnie wrote:
> Paul Bergsagel wrote:
>> rob wrote:
>>> I found the lightning extension. I had copied my old 2.49.4 profile
>>> and it didn't have the correct version of Lightning. I found the
>>> correct one in a new default profile, and copied it to my old
>>> profile. I then had to enable it and it worked.
>>>
>>> ---
>>> https://www.avg.com
>>>
>> You don't need the Lightning Extension.  Lightning now is built into
>> the SeaMonkey email app. Get rid of the lightning extension...its not
>> needed.
>>
> What happens if it is installed? Is it automatically disabled and or
> ignored?

0
rob
9/14/2019 3:21:36 AM
Just for the record. My problem was caused by installing 2.94.5 on a new
machine then attempting to copy an older profile on to that machine. The
Old profile is still backed up on the old hard drive, but I couldn't get
the Lightning extension to work.

Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote:
> Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:
>>

>> rob wrote:

>>> You must have missed my earlier post about problems using an older
>>> profile with the 2.49.5. In fact the correct version of Lightning
>>> wasn't in the older profile and I couldn't find a working extension
>>> to install. The older profile wasn't properly updated so I had to
>>> figure out where it was and copy it into the older profile which I did.
>>
>> Well there are the release notes too...
>>
>> Known Issues
>> Lightning or one of the distributed extensions is not showing up or is
>> disabled under Add-ons.
>>
>> https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/seamonkey2.49.5/
>>
>> FRG
>
> Having looked at those release notes, BACK UP YOUR PROFILE FOLDER (while
> Seamonkey is not running) BEFORE INSTALLING 2.49.5.
> Several things can potentially go wrong, and the first start of 2.49.5
> makes the profile unusable for 2.49.4 so simply dropping down a level
> causes part of the profile to be marked as corrupt and reinitialised.
> I have 3 machines which use the same profile, one "master" and two where
> I sometimes replace the profile with a new copy of the master.
> The two copies are going to be upgraded first, although I'll wait for
> 2.49.5 to appear in the repository rather than going proactive.
> If I'm not unlucky the problems won't affect my setup anyway.

0
rob
9/14/2019 3:28:18 AM
rob wrote on 14/09/2019 1:28 PM:
> Just for the record. My problem was caused by installing 2.94.5 on a new
> machine then attempting to copy an older profile on to that machine. The
> Old profile is still backed up on the old hard drive, but I couldn't get
> the Lightning extension to work.

Rob, how did you "copy an older profile on to that machine"??

It used to be the case that, if you copied by CD/DVD, all the files in
the new profile were marked as "Read Only" and SeaMonkey needed to be
able to write to assorted files. Something like that, anyway!

With modern methods of getting the profile from one computer to another,
I'm not sure if this still applies!

Daniel

0
Daniel
9/29/2019 9:52:05 AM
Daniel wrote:
> rob wrote on 14/09/2019 1:28 PM:
>> Just for the record. My problem was caused by installing 2.94.5 on a new
>> machine then attempting to copy an older profile on to that machine. The Old
>> profile is still backed up on the old hard drive, but I couldn't get the
>> Lightning extension to work.
>
> Rob, how did you "copy an older profile on to that machine"??
>
> It used to be the case that, if you copied by CD/DVD, all the files in the new
> profile were marked as "Read Only" and SeaMonkey needed to be able to write to
> assorted files. Something like that, anyway!
>
> With modern methods of getting the profile from one computer to another, I'm
> not sure if this still applies!
>
> Daniel

If you transfer with a USB flash stick, the files will not be read-only.
0
EE
9/29/2019 8:05:26 PM
EE wrote on 30/09/2019 6:05 AM:
> Daniel wrote:
>> rob wrote on 14/09/2019 1:28 PM:
>>> Just for the record. My problem was caused by installing 2.94.5 on a
>>> new machine then attempting to copy an older profile on to that
>>> machine. The Old profile is still backed up on the old hard drive,
>>> but I couldn't get the Lightning extension to work.
>>
>> Rob, how did you "copy an older profile on to that machine"??
>>
>> It used to be the case that, if you copied by CD/DVD, all the files in
>> the new profile were marked as "Read Only" and SeaMonkey needed to be
>> able to write to assorted files. Something like that, anyway!
>>
>> With modern methods of getting the profile from one computer to
>> another, I'm not sure if this still applies!
>>
>> Daniel
>>
> If you transfer with a USB flash stick, the files will not be read-only.

Ah! Well, you live and you learn! Thank you.
0
Daniel
9/30/2019 6:47:40 AM
Daniel wrote:
> rob wrote on 14/09/2019 1:28 PM:
>> Just for the record. My problem was caused by installing 2.94.5 on a
>> new machine then attempting to copy an older profile on to that
>> machine. The Old profile is still backed up on the old hard drive, but
>> I couldn't get the Lightning extension to work.
>
> Rob, how did you "copy an older profile on to that machine"??
>
> It used to be the case that, if you copied by CD/DVD, all the files in
> the new profile were marked as "Read Only" and SeaMonkey needed to be
> able to write to assorted files. Something like that, anyway!
>
> With modern methods of getting the profile from one computer to another,
> I'm not sure if this still applies!
>
> Daniel

My old notebook died completely. I removed the old still working hard
drive and connected it to my new notebook via adapter and copied the
2.49.4 profile to the new hard drive. Everything worked except Lightning.
0
Rob