Lightning extension fails with with Slackware Seamonkey-2.49.5

I'm using Seamonkey on Slackware Linux (32bit).  Even though the official
Seamonkey builds now include the Lightning extension, Slackware builds
their Seamonkey without Lightning.  I've always just added Lightning from the
Add-ons site (currently addons.thunderbird.net).

Slackware just released an update to Seamonkey-2.49.5, and it no longer
works with Lightning-4.5. Trying to open the calendar results in an
extremely wide Mail/News window, blank window, disabled UI elements, and
this message in the terminal:
      addons.manager  WARN    Exception calling callback:
      ReferenceError: openAddonsMgr is not defined
      (chrome://lightning/content/messenger-overlay-sidebar.js:943:9)

The official Seamonkey build works with both its bundled Lightning, and
with the Lightning-4.5 add-on separately downloaded and added (after
removing the bundled one).

Is it possible something changed between Seamonkey-2.49.4 and 2.49.5 that
prevents adding Lightning unless Seamonkey was built with --enable-calendar?
0
lj
9/8/2019 12:33:07 AM
mozilla.support.seamonkey 13202 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

lj wrote:
> I'm using Seamonkey on Slackware Linux (32bit).  Even though the official
> Seamonkey builds now include the Lightning extension, Slackware builds
> their Seamonkey without Lightning.  I've always just added Lightning
> from the
> Add-ons site (currently addons.thunderbird.net).
>
> Slackware just released an update to Seamonkey-2.49.5, and it no longer
> works with Lightning-4.5.

My SeaMonkey 2.49.4 has Lightning 5.4 installed.

It should probably be the same one for SeaMonkey 2.49.5.

I would forget about the distro build and install from SeaMonkey or try

<https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/addon/lightning/versions/?page=1#version-5.4>
0
WaltS48
9/8/2019 1:00:03 AM
WaltS48 wrote:
> My SeaMonkey 2.49.4 has Lightning 5.4 installed.
Mine too.

> It should probably be the same one for SeaMonkey 2.49.5.
It (5.4) should, but it doesn't for me if I use the Slackware build.

> I would forget about the distro build and install from SeaMonkey or try
> <https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/addon/lightning/versions/?page=1#version-5.4>

Yes, that's where I got the one that doesn't start up correctly with
Slackware's own Seamonkey-2.49.5.
There are advantages in using a distribution's own package versus the
"official build", for any application.

I'm interested in hearing if anyone is using Lightning with a Seamonkey-2.49.5
that was built *without* Lightning, which I think means about:buildconfig does
not have --enable-calendar in the Configure options section.

0
lj
9/8/2019 2:23:04 AM
If you build without enable-calendar Lightning will not work. It needs some
binary components which are now linked into SeaMonkey and Thunderbird itself
with enable-calendar. Previously we had a workaround (or better big hack) in
which enabled only them regardless of the build flag. But with the ability to
use enable-calendar again for l10n builds we dropped this for 2.49.5

FRG

lj wrote:
> I'm using Seamonkey on Slackware Linux (32bit).  Even though the official
> Seamonkey builds now include the Lightning extension, Slackware builds
> their Seamonkey without Lightning.  I've always just added Lightning from the
> Add-ons site (currently addons.thunderbird.net).
>
> Slackware just released an update to Seamonkey-2.49.5, and it no longer
> works with Lightning-4.5. Trying to open the calendar results in an
> extremely wide Mail/News window, blank window, disabled UI elements, and
> this message in the terminal:
>       addons.manager  WARN    Exception calling callback:
>       ReferenceError: openAddonsMgr is not defined
>       (chrome://lightning/content/messenger-overlay-sidebar.js:943:9)
>
> The official Seamonkey build works with both its bundled Lightning, and
> with the Lightning-4.5 add-on separately downloaded and added (after
> removing the bundled one).
>
> Is it possible something changed between Seamonkey-2.49.4 and 2.49.5 that
> prevents adding Lightning unless Seamonkey was built with --enable-calendar?
0
Frank
9/8/2019 9:33:37 AM
Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:
> If you build without enable-calendar Lightning will not work. It needs some
> binary components which are now linked into SeaMonkey and Thunderbird itself
> with enable-calendar. Previously we had a workaround (or better big hack) in
> which enabled only them regardless of the build flag. But with the ability to
> use enable-calendar again for l10n builds we dropped this for 2.49.5
>
> FRG

Thank you for confirming that. Now I can go back to the Slackware users and
tell them: If we want Lightning, we can either (1) download the
seamonkey-project distribution instead of using the Slackware package, or (2)
build it ourselves from source, and possibly also (3) ask Slackware
maintainers to consider adding --enable-calendar to the build.
0
lj