Lightning 'Events and..' menu item gone

A long-time Netscape/Mozilla/SeaMonkey user, but not a web developer.

Recently installed 2.53.1, and all bookmarks/tab and emails/subfolders
are in place.  However, my previous install of 2.49.x had Lightning
installed, so I had the 'Events and..' menu bar item visible, to select
calendar from, etc.  It is no longer displaying.   It's not just
invisible and taking up space, it's not on the menu bar at all.

My install was performed while a real-time backup tool was also running,
which has a job assigned to keep my profile info updated, as it changes.
  Hoping this was a minor hiccup, I restarted the PC, killed the backup
software and re-ran the installer.  No errors, but still no Lightning
module items.

My profile folder still contains a 'calendar-data' subfolder, and there
are 3 sqlite database files inside.  Looking at the Add-ons Mgr screen,
there was an entry for a version of Lightning that was never removed but
marked as incompatible, so I uninstalled that and re-tried the new
installer once more.  No joy.

Everything appears to work normally, other than my inability to utilize
the Lightning components that have been included in this distribution.

Any suggestions on how to at least regain access to the menus for Lightning?
0
Rick
3/14/2020 5:42:01 PM
mozilla.support.seamonkey 13407 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Rick & Sharon wrote:
> A long-time Netscape/Mozilla/SeaMonkey user, but not a web developer.
>
> Recently installed 2.53.1, and all bookmarks/tab and emails/subfolders
> are in place.  However, my previous install of 2.49.x had Lightning
> installed, so I had the 'Events and..' menu bar item visible, to select
> calendar from, etc.  It is no longer displaying.   It's not just
> invisible and taking up space, it's not on the menu bar at all.
>
> My install was performed while a real-time backup tool was also running,
> which has a job assigned to keep my profile info updated, as it changes.
>   Hoping this was a minor hiccup, I restarted the PC, killed the backup
> software and re-ran the installer.  No errors, but still no Lightning
> module items.
>
> My profile folder still contains a 'calendar-data' subfolder, and there
> are 3 sqlite database files inside.  Looking at the Add-ons Mgr screen,
> there was an entry for a version of Lightning that was never removed but
> marked as incompatible, so I uninstalled that and re-tried the new
> installer once more.  No joy.
>
> Everything appears to work normally, other than my inability to utilize
> the Lightning components that have been included in this distribution.
>
> Any suggestions on how to at least regain access to the menus for
> Lightning?

Did you check Tools > Add-ons Manager and make sure it is enabled?

Also it only appears in the Mail & Newsgroups window, not the Browser
window.
0
WaltS48
3/14/2020 6:27:09 PM
Rick & Sharon wrote:
> A long-time Netscape/Mozilla/SeaMonkey user, but not a web developer.
>
> Recently installed 2.53.1, and all bookmarks/tab and emails/subfolders
> are in place.  However, my previous install of 2.49.x had Lightning
> installed, so I had the 'Events and..' menu bar item visible, to select
> calendar from, etc.  It is no longer displaying.   It's not just
> invisible and taking up space, it's not on the menu bar at all.
>
> My install was performed while a real-time backup tool was also running,
> which has a job assigned to keep my profile info updated, as it changes.
>   Hoping this was a minor hiccup, I restarted the PC, killed the backup
> software and re-ran the installer.  No errors, but still no Lightning
> module items.
>
> My profile folder still contains a 'calendar-data' subfolder, and there
> are 3 sqlite database files inside.  Looking at the Add-ons Mgr screen,
> there was an entry for a version of Lightning that was never removed but
> marked as incompatible, so I uninstalled that and re-tried the new
> installer once more.  No joy.
>
> Everything appears to work normally, other than my inability to utilize
> the Lightning components that have been included in this distribution.
>
> Any suggestions on how to at least regain access to the menus for
> Lightning?

See under "Known Issues" in the release notes at
<https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/seamonkey2.53.1/>:
> Lightning or one of the distributed extensions is not showing up or is disabled under Add-ons.
> If the extension is disabled and can not be enabled deinstall it. If it does not show up after restart do the following:
> * Enter "about:config" in the location bar.
> * Enter "extensions.installedDistroAddon" in the search field.
> * Reset the key of the extension not showing up using the popup menu with the mouse. If in doubt just reset all keys, but this might bring back previously uninstalled distributed Add-ons.
> * Restart SeaMonkey.

It seems that for some reason the bundled version doesn't get installed
for some people.  It sounds like you've uninstalled the incompatible
version of Lightning, but try the about:config edit.  I think the one to
reset for Lightning is
"extensions.installedDistroAddon.{e2fda1a4-762b-4020-b5ad-a41df1933103}".

--
Mark.

0
mozilla
3/14/2020 9:26:38 PM
mozilla-lists.mbourne@spamgourmet.com wrote:
> Rick & Sharon wrote:
>> A long-time Netscape/Mozilla/SeaMonkey user, but not a web developer.
>>
>> Recently installed 2.53.1, and all bookmarks/tab and emails/subfolders
>> are in place.  However, my previous install of 2.49.x had Lightning
>> installed, so I had the 'Events and..' menu bar item visible, to
>> select calendar from, etc.  It is no longer displaying.   It's not
>> just invisible and taking up space, it's not on the menu bar at all.
>>
>> My install was performed while a real-time backup tool was also
>> running, which has a job assigned to keep my profile info updated, as
>> it changes.   Hoping this was a minor hiccup, I restarted the PC,
>> killed the backup software and re-ran the installer.  No errors, but
>> still no Lightning module items.
>>
>> My profile folder still contains a 'calendar-data' subfolder, and
>> there are 3 sqlite database files inside.  Looking at the Add-ons Mgr
>> screen, there was an entry for a version of Lightning that was never
>> removed but marked as incompatible, so I uninstalled that and re-tried
>> the new installer once more.  No joy.
>>
>> Everything appears to work normally, other than my inability to
>> utilize the Lightning components that have been included in this
>> distribution.
>>
>> Any suggestions on how to at least regain access to the menus for
>> Lightning?
>
> See under "Known Issues" in the release notes at
> <https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/seamonkey2.53.1/>:
>> Lightning or one of the distributed extensions is not showing up or is
>> disabled under Add-ons.
>> If the extension is disabled and can not be enabled deinstall it. If
>> it does not show up after restart do the following:
>> * Enter "about:config" in the location bar.
>> * Enter "extensions.installedDistroAddon" in the search field.
>> * Reset the key of the extension not showing up using the popup menu
>> with the mouse. If in doubt just reset all keys, but this might bring
>> back previously uninstalled distributed Add-ons.
>> * Restart SeaMonkey.
>
> It seems that for some reason the bundled version doesn't get installed
> for some people.  It sounds like you've uninstalled the incompatible
> version of Lightning, but try the about:config edit.  I think the one to
> reset for Lightning is
> "extensions.installedDistroAddon.{e2fda1a4-762b-4020-b5ad-a41df1933103}".

Thanks, Mark, that 'reset' trick worked.  All the items under that
config area are showing boolean 'true' which I took to mean 'enabled',
but using the Reset context-menu action cleared it back to default, and
now all is well again.

Rick
0
Rick
3/14/2020 10:41:24 PM
Rick & Sharon wrote:
> mozilla-lists.mbourne@spamgourmet.com wrote:
>> It seems that for some reason the bundled version doesn't get
>> installed for some people.  It sounds like you've uninstalled the
>> incompatible version of Lightning, but try the about:config edit.  I
>> think the one to reset for Lightning is
>> "extensions.installedDistroAddon.{e2fda1a4-762b-4020-b5ad-a41df1933103}".
>>
> Thanks, Mark, that 'reset' trick worked.  All the items under that
> config area are showing boolean 'true' which I took to mean 'enabled',
> but using the Reset context-menu action cleared it back to default, and
> now all is well again.

I think it indicates that the distributed (bundled) extension has
previously been installed in the profile, so it doesn't get installed
again if you manually remove it.  Otherwise SeaMonkey can't tell whether
the bundled extension is missing from your profile because it was never
installed or because it had been but you deliberately removed it.  In
this case, you want the bundled extension to be reinstalled, so need to
reset the flag.

--
Mark.

0