Large memory usage by email ... or is SM in general?

Windows 10, SM 2.49.4

Task Manager showed SM using 32% memory with email and one browser window open.
The browser had only one tab with the Washington Post front page. Closing the
browser reduced memory use to 24%; after closing the email then reopening it, it
used only 7%. I've noticed this high memory usage before. Is there a way to avoid
it, or to reduce it without closing the program? I don't mind closing/reopening
the email, but often I have several windows and tabs open, so it's a nuisance to
close the browser, too.
0
flyguy
5/17/2020 12:40:47 PM
mozilla.support.seamonkey 13670 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

flyguy wrote:
> Windows 10, SM 2.49.4
>
> Task Manager showed SM using 32% memory with email and one browser
> window open. The browser had only one tab with the Washington Post front
> page. Closing the browser reduced memory use to 24%; after closing the
> email then reopening it, it used only 7%. I've noticed this high memory
> usage before. Is there a way to avoid it, or to reduce it without
> closing the program? I don't mind closing/reopening the email, but often
> I have several windows and tabs open, so it's a nuisance to close the
> browser, too.

I have a similar problem with SeaMonkey memory usage growing over time.
 My solution was to add a "restart application" button that I use
whenever it starts getting sluggish.  This closes and restarts SeaMonkey
without losing anything other than the time it takes to restart.

Dave
0
David
5/17/2020 2:07:00 PM
flyguy wrote:
> Windows 10, SM 2.49.4
>
> Task Manager showed SM using 32% memory with email and one browser
> window open. The browser had only one tab with the Washington Post front
> page. Closing the browser reduced memory use to 24%; after closing the
> email then reopening it, it used only 7%. I've noticed this high memory
> usage before. Is there a way to avoid it, or to reduce it without
> closing the program? I don't mind closing/reopening the email, but often
> I have several windows and tabs open, so it's a nuisance to close the
> browser, too.

What does:
- exiting the whole program (File -> Quit)
- restarting it
- Go -> Restore Previous Session (from the browser) do for your memory
usage?

--
spammo ergo sum, viruses courtesy of https://www.nsa.gov/malware/
0
On 5/17/2020 7:07 AM, David H. Durgee wrote:
> flyguy wrote:
>> Windows 10, SM 2.49.4
>>
>> Task Manager showed SM using 32% memory with email and one browser
>> window open. The browser had only one tab with the Washington Post front
>> page. Closing the browser reduced memory use to 24%; after closing the
>> email then reopening it, it used only 7%. I've noticed this high memory
>> usage before. Is there a way to avoid it, or to reduce it without
>> closing the program? I don't mind closing/reopening the email, but often
>> I have several windows and tabs open, so it's a nuisance to close the
>> browser, too.
>
> I have a similar problem with SeaMonkey memory usage growing over time.
>  My solution was to add a "restart application" button that I use
> whenever it starts getting sluggish.  This closes and restarts SeaMonkey
> without losing anything other than the time it takes to restart.
>
> Dave

Does the Restart Application button do a full restart?  That is, does it
reload user.js to restore preferences that might have been changed
during the session?  If so, how can I get the Restart Application button?

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

President Trump removed Rick Bright from heading the
government's development of a vaccine against the
COVID-19 virus.  The reason was that Bright would not
endorse Trump's assertion that hydroxychloroquine might
cure COVID-19.  Is it possible that Trump was motivated
by his and his family's investments in a major producer
of hydroxychloroquine?
0
David
5/17/2020 3:49:41 PM
David E. Ross wrote:
> On 5/17/2020 7:07 AM, David H. Durgee wrote:
>> flyguy wrote:
>>> Windows 10, SM 2.49.4
>>>
>>> Task Manager showed SM using 32% memory with email and one browser
>>> window open. The browser had only one tab with the Washington Post front
>>> page. Closing the browser reduced memory use to 24%; after closing the
>>> email then reopening it, it used only 7%. I've noticed this high memory
>>> usage before. Is there a way to avoid it, or to reduce it without
>>> closing the program? I don't mind closing/reopening the email, but often
>>> I have several windows and tabs open, so it's a nuisance to close the
>>> browser, too.
>>
>> I have a similar problem with SeaMonkey memory usage growing over time.
>>  My solution was to add a "restart application" button that I use
>> whenever it starts getting sluggish.  This closes and restarts SeaMonkey
>> without losing anything other than the time it takes to restart.
>>
>> Dave
>>

> Does the Restart Application button do a full restart?  That is, does it
> reload user.js to restore preferences that might have been changed
> during the session?  If so, how can I get the Restart Application button?

It appears to do a full restart.  You can get it here:

https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/seamonkey/addon/restart-application-button/?src=ss

Dave
0
David
5/17/2020 4:07:45 PM
flyguy wrote:
> Windows 10, SM 2.49.4
>
> Task Manager showed SM using 32% memory with email and one browser
> window open. The browser had only one tab with the Washington Post front
> page. Closing the browser reduced memory use to 24%; after closing the
> email then reopening it, it used only 7%. I've noticed this high memory
> usage before. Is there a way to avoid it, or to reduce it without
> closing the program? I don't mind closing/reopening the email, but often
> I have several windows and tabs open, so it's a nuisance to close the
> browser, too.

If you read your email as plain text, it should not take as much room.

0
EE
5/17/2020 6:21:56 PM
David E. Ross wrote:
> On 5/17/2020 7:07 AM, David H. Durgee wrote:
>> flyguy wrote:
>>> Windows 10, SM 2.49.4
>>>
>>> Task Manager showed SM using 32% memory with email and one browser
>>> window open. The browser had only one tab with the Washington Post front
>>> page. Closing the browser reduced memory use to 24%; after closing the
>>> email then reopening it, it used only 7%. I've noticed this high memory
>>> usage before. Is there a way to avoid it, or to reduce it without
>>> closing the program? I don't mind closing/reopening the email, but often
>>> I have several windows and tabs open, so it's a nuisance to close the
>>> browser, too.
>>
>> I have a similar problem with SeaMonkey memory usage growing over time.
>>   My solution was to add a "restart application" button that I use
>> whenever it starts getting sluggish.  This closes and restarts SeaMonkey
>> without losing anything other than the time it takes to restart.
>>
>> Dave
>>

> Does the Restart Application button do a full restart?  That is, does it
> reload user.js to restore preferences that might have been changed
> during the session?  If so, how can I get the Restart Application button?

Chromedit Plus provides a stand-alone restart button.  Restart does redo
the preference settings from user.js.

0
EE
5/17/2020 6:24:38 PM
On 5/17/2020 9:07 AM, David H. Durgee wrote:
> David E. Ross wrote:

>>> I have a similar problem with SeaMonkey memory usage growing over time.
>>>  My solution was to add a "restart application" button that I use
>>> whenever it starts getting sluggish.  This closes and restarts SeaMonkey
>>> without losing anything other than the time it takes to restart.
>>>
>>> Dave
>>>

>> Does the Restart Application button do a full restart?  That is, does it
>> reload user.js to restore preferences that might have been changed
>> during the session?  If so, how can I get the Restart Application button?
>>

> It appears to do a full restart.  You can get it here:
>
> https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/seamonkey/addon/restart-application-button/?src=ss
>
> Dave

Thanks.  I will try it later today.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

President Trump removed Rick Bright from heading the
government's development of a vaccine against the
COVID-19 virus.  The reason was that Bright would not
endorse Trump's assertion that hydroxychloroquine might
cure COVID-19.  Is it possible that Trump was motivated
by his and his family's investments in a major producer
of hydroxychloroquine?
0
David
5/17/2020 6:34:33 PM
On 5/17/2020 11:24 AM, EE wrote:
> David E. Ross wrote:

>>> I have a similar problem with SeaMonkey memory usage growing over time.
>>>   My solution was to add a "restart application" button that I use
>>> whenever it starts getting sluggish.  This closes and restarts SeaMonkey
>>> without losing anything other than the time it takes to restart.
>>>
>>> Dave
>>>

>> Does the Restart Application button do a full restart?  That is, does it
>> reload user.js to restore preferences that might have been changed
>> during the session?  If so, how can I get the Restart Application button?
>>
> Chromedit Plus provides a stand-alone restart button.  Restart does redo
> the preference settings from user.js.

Aha!  That is exactly what I have been seeking.  Some Web sites that I
visit require that I change my preferences from what I usually have.  I
use PrefBar for that.  Sometimes the changes are so extensive, however,
that it is easier to terminate SeaMonkey and then relaunch it.  If I was
in a profile that is not my default, that also means switching back to
the profile I was using.

If this restarts me back in my non-default profile, the Restart
Application button will be great.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

President Trump removed Rick Bright from heading the
government's development of a vaccine against the
COVID-19 virus.  The reason was that Bright would not
endorse Trump's assertion that hydroxychloroquine might
cure COVID-19.  Is it possible that Trump was motivated
by his and his family's investments in a major producer
of hydroxychloroquine?
0
David
5/17/2020 6:39:35 PM
EE wrote:

> flyguy wrote:
>> Windows 10, SM 2.49.4
>>
>> Task Manager showed SM using 32% memory with email and one browser
>> window open. The browser had only one tab with the Washington Post
>> front page. Closing the browser reduced memory use to 24%; after
>> closing the email then reopening it, it used only 7%. I've noticed this
>> high memory usage before. Is there a way to avoid it, or to reduce it
>> without closing the program? I don't mind closing/reopening the email,
>> but often I have several windows and tabs open, so it's a nuisance to
>> close the browser, too.
>
> If you read your email as plain text, it should not take as much room.

Choosing to read only the plain text will not change the size of the email
or the memory usage of the window. If the email contains an "HTML half" it
still loads. Do a Crtl-U and see it all.
0
Richard
5/17/2020 6:42:04 PM
On 5/17/2020 11:34 AM, David E. Ross wrote:
> On 5/17/2020 9:07 AM, David H. Durgee wrote:
>> David E. Ross wrote:

>>> Does the Restart Application button do a full restart?  That is, does it
>>> reload user.js to restore preferences that might have been changed
>>> during the session?  If so, how can I get the Restart Application button?
>>>

>> It appears to do a full restart.  You can get it here:
>>
>> https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/seamonkey/addon/restart-application-button/?src=ss
>>
>> Dave
>>

> Thanks.  I will try it later today.

Yes, I installed it.  It is indeed better than me manually terminating
and then relaunching SeaMonkey.

However, at least one change I do via PrefBar does not get reset when I
use the button.  That is spoofing another browser via PrefBar's
"useragent", which uses scripts instead of preference variables.  There
might be other PrefBar script-based actions that are not reset.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

President Trump removed Rick Bright from heading the
government's development of a vaccine against the
COVID-19 virus.  The reason was that Bright would not
endorse Trump's assertion that hydroxychloroquine might
cure COVID-19.  Is it possible that Trump was motivated
by his and his family's investments in a major producer
of hydroxychloroquine?
0
David
5/17/2020 10:17:46 PM
Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote on 5/17/2020 7:11 AM:
> flyguy wrote:
>> Windows 10, SM 2.49.4
>>
>> Task Manager showed SM using 32% memory with email and one browser window open.
>> The browser had only one tab with the Washington Post front page. Closing the
>> browser reduced memory use to 24%; after closing the email then reopening it, it
>> used only 7%. I've noticed this high memory usage before. Is there a way to
>> avoid it, or to reduce it without closing the program? I don't mind
>> closing/reopening the email, but often I have several windows and tabs open, so
>> it's a nuisance to close the browser, too.
>
> What does:
> - exiting the whole program (File -> Quit)
> - restarting it
> - Go -> Restore Previous Session (from the browser) do for your memory usage?

That also seems to work, and is convenient enough, but it's still annoying to
monitor the usage several times a day and go through the process. Is there a way
to avoid the accumulation of memory SM uses that is not needed?
0
flyguy
5/18/2020 12:53:37 PM
David E. Ross wrote:
> On 5/17/2020 11:24 AM, EE wrote:
>> David E. Ross wrote:

>>> Does the Restart Application button do a full restart?  That is, does it
>>> reload user.js to restore preferences that might have been changed
>>> during the session?  If so, how can I get the Restart Application button?
>>>
>> Chromedit Plus provides a stand-alone restart button.  Restart does redo
>> the preference settings from user.js.
>>

> Aha!  That is exactly what I have been seeking.  Some Web sites that I
> visit require that I change my preferences from what I usually have.  I
> use PrefBar for that.  Sometimes the changes are so extensive, however,
> that it is easier to terminate SeaMonkey and then relaunch it.  If I was
> in a profile that is not my default, that also means switching back to
> the profile I was using.
>
> If this restarts me back in my non-default profile, the Restart
> Application button will be great.

Chromedit Plus and its restart does not switch profiles.  It puts the
changes you made with it (to user.js, userContent.css, and
userChrome.css) into effect.

0
EE
5/18/2020 4:51:36 PM
Richard Alan wrote:
> EE wrote:
>
>> flyguy wrote:
>>> Windows 10, SM 2.49.4
>>>
>>> Task Manager showed SM using 32% memory with email and one browser
>>> window open. The browser had only one tab with the Washington Post
>>> front page. Closing the browser reduced memory use to 24%; after
>>> closing the email then reopening it, it used only 7%. I've noticed this
>>> high memory usage before. Is there a way to avoid it, or to reduce it
>>> without closing the program? I don't mind closing/reopening the email,
>>> but often I have several windows and tabs open, so it's a nuisance to
>>> close the browser, too.
>>
>> If you read your email as plain text, it should not take as much room.
>
> Choosing to read only the plain text will not change the size of the email
> or the memory usage of the window. If the email contains an "HTML half" it
> still loads. Do a Crtl-U and see it all.

That is only if the email is multipart.  If the sender uses only HTML
and you read that as plain text, the tidied content does not take much
space.  I read all my email as plain text.  Even if I deal with 20
messages, I delete them when I have finished, then compact the folders.
The compaction tells me how much space I saved afterwards, and it is on
the order of kilobytes, not megabytes.

0
EE
5/18/2020 4:57:05 PM
EE wrote:

> Richard Alan wrote:
>> EE wrote:

>>> If you read your email as plain text, it should not take as much room.
>>
>> Choosing to read only the plain text will not change the size of the
>> email or the memory usage of the window. If the email contains an "HTML
>> half" it still loads. Do a Crtl-U and see it all.
>>
> That is only if the email is multipart.  If the sender uses only HTML
> and you read that as plain text, the tidied content does not take much
> space.  I read all my email as plain text.  Even if I deal with 20
> messages, I delete them when I have finished, then compact the folders.
> The compaction tells me how much space I saved afterwards, and it is on
> the order of kilobytes, not megabytes.

It doesn't matter if it is only HTML. You still load the entire content
when you read the mail. As I said, look at the source of the email. In
many cases, you will find gobs of CSS and possibly even images contained
in the message. You are loading all of it - just not _seeing_ it.

Choosing "plain text" does not reduce the size of the email.
0
Richard
5/18/2020 5:29:58 PM
flyguy wrote:
> Windows 10, SM 2.49.4
>
> Task Manager showed SM using 32% memory with email and one browser
> window open. The browser had only one tab with the Washington Post front
> page. Closing the browser reduced memory use to 24%; after closing the
> email then reopening it, it used only 7%. I've noticed this high memory
> usage before. Is there a way to avoid it, or to reduce it without
> closing the program? I don't mind closing/reopening the email, but often
> I have several windows and tabs open, so it's a nuisance to close the
> browser, too.

I've found this effect on my own machines, although I haven't tried to
do any serious work of digging in to figure out if it's something
related to the browser, the mail client, one of my extensions, a
combination of things, or something else that I haven't thought of.  My
suspicion is that there's a memory leak somewhere, but the symptoms
aren't always consistent.

Something that I've noticed is that sometimes, I get really laggy
response and the Windows Task Manager showing Seamonkey using a lot of
cycles, and the memory allocation is only about 850 MB (and slow
perfomance), and sometimes, I can see memory usage above 1.5 GB, and no
obvious performance issues.

Several weeks ago, I was interacting with a form with multiple screens
that had a ton of scripting in it (where every single input required
script interaction), and I noticed that the further I got into the form,
the slower the response was.  By the time that I got to the last few
inputs on the form, Seamonkey was giving me scripting timeouts. I had
left Seamonkey open overnight, after a full day of usage the previous
day, and IIRC, checks of Windows Task Manager showed that Seamonkey was
using around 2.2 GB of RAM, and heavy CPU usage. Normally, for that kind
of slowness of response, I would have restarted Seamonkey, but by the
time the performance got beyond tolerable, I was far enough into the
form that I didn't want to have to start over at the beginning of the form.

I live in Seamonkey all day, and I generally don't have any issues if I
have launched it at the beginning of the day.  Most often, if I see
issues, it tends to be if I've left it open overnight. I know that
yesterday, at the end of the day, I had Seamonkey open with light usage,
and I forgot to shut down, and when I came in this morning, it was still
open.  Memory usage was a little more than 1 GB. I didn't check for
performance before I restarted.

In my experience, I don't see evidence that Seamonkey is hardware
restrained. I currently run 16 GB of RAM, and even when it's slow,
there's still plenty of RAM available. And about a year ago, I moved to
a to a new machine with an SSD in it. Thus, it appears that there aren't
issues with swapping happening. Since I moved to this machine, I think I
see the performance issues a little less frequently, but not
dramatically, The most constant thing seems to be where it's been
running for more than 16 hours at a time.

A lot of the time, I'm content to simply restart Seamonkey, but there
are times when that's inconvenient.  I have more than one mailbox set
where I don't allow Seamonkey to remember the password for POP and IMAP
connections (I do that to ensure that by having to enter those passwords
once per session, I don't forget them), and I also have Seamonkey set to
discard all my cookies at the end of a session.  Thus, if I do a
restart, I have to re-enter passwords for email, and sometimes for open
sessions in the browser.

One of my favorite extensions is Session Manager.  I have that one set
to keep a list of all open tabs when the browser shuts down, and when I
restart, I have the last 8 sessions available (along with other sets of
tabs that I've saved).  Thus, if I have a bunch of tabs open at the end
of the day, I can shut down Seamonkey, and then when I start up the next
day, I can re-open all of those tabs (even if I have to log into any
open browser sessions).

Since I have a spare machine available, I might try seeing what happens
if I build up a profile from scratch, starting with just a browser, and
then adding one or more mail accounts as well as extensions, to see if I
can find any pattern to where performance begins to lag.

Smith
0
NFN
5/18/2020 5:36:30 PM
EE wrote:
> Richard Alan wrote:
>> EE wrote:

>>> If you read your email as plain text, it should not take as much room.
>>
>> Choosing to read only the plain text will not change the size of the
>> email
>> or the memory usage of the window. If the email contains an "HTML
>> half" it
>> still loads. Do a Crtl-U and see it all.
>>
> That is only if the email is multipart.  If the sender uses only HTML
> and you read that as plain text, the tidied content does not take much
> space.  I read all my email as plain text.  Even if I deal with 20
> messages, I delete them when I have finished, then compact the folders.
> The compaction tells me how much space I saved afterwards, and it is on
> the order of kilobytes, not megabytes.

The space saved by compacting is the disk space saved by deleting the
emails from the mailbox file on disk.  Nothing to do with memory usage.
And that is the size of the full emails, including headers and all parts
(including any attachments) and not affected by how you view them -
you'll be seeing that space saved even if you delete the email without
ever viewing it.

--
Mark.

0
mozilla
5/19/2020 6:36:01 PM
Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote on 5/17/2020 7:11 AM:
> flyguy wrote:
>> Windows 10, SM 2.49.4
>>
>> Task Manager showed SM using 32% memory with email and one browser window open.
>> The browser had only one tab with the Washington Post front page. Closing the
>> browser reduced memory use to 24%; after closing the email then reopening it, it
>> used only 7%. I've noticed this high memory usage before. Is there a way to
>> avoid it, or to reduce it without closing the program? I don't mind
>> closing/reopening the email, but often I have several windows and tabs open, so
>> it's a nuisance to close the browser, too.
>
> What does:
> - exiting the whole program (File -> Quit)
> - restarting it
> - Go -> Restore Previous Session (from the browser) do for your memory usage?

Just to be clear, here's another example:

- email and browser(1 tab) open: 26% memory usage (out 8GB)
- email still open, close browser: 23% mem. usage
- close email, open email only: 10% usage
- begin this reply: 14% usage

So, email is using an extra 13% for no apparent reason. And, 13% is significant,
as I have only 8GB RAM. When usage gets to 80%, the computer becomes sluggish, and
SM in particular can become "Not responding" for many seconds, or much longer and
have to be closed with Task Manager.
0
flyguy
5/19/2020 7:06:42 PM
On Sun, 17 May 2020 05:40:47 -0700, flyguy <flyguy26e@verizon.netto>
wrote:

>Windows 10, SM 2.49.4
>
>Task Manager showed SM using 32% memory with email and one browser window open.
>The browser had only one tab with the Washington Post front page. Closing the
>browser reduced memory use to 24%; after closing the email then reopening it, it
>used only 7%. I've noticed this high memory usage before. Is there a way to avoid
>it, or to reduce it without closing the program? I don't mind closing/reopening
>the email, but often I have several windows and tabs open, so it's a nuisance to
>close the browser, too.

It isn't just you.

SM has always been a memory hog.
I run it with disk cache disabled, set to 1Mb that is.
Prefetching disabled, check page on every load.
It exceeds 2Gb for me daily, at times spiking to 4Gb.
Thank goodness for the restart button.

The pattern I have noticed indicates not all memory is released when a
page is closed.
If a page takes 150Mb to render, 25-50Mb is not released.
It could be an incomplete release list, or some automatic allocator that
fails to report memory usage correctly.
Not that FF is much better behaved.
No idea on chrome, I won't allow it on my system.

Still better than the mess that is FF.
I am so glad I can kill tabs, I hate those things.

--
Doors - Dont look at the future in a window.
        Walk to a door - Open it, and go there.

http://www.freedoors.org
AntiSpam in effect!
doorsremoveme@freedoors.org
mailto:doorsremoveme@freedoors.org
0
Doors
5/20/2020 5:00:49 PM
On 5/20/2020 10:00 AM, Doors wrote:
> On Sun, 17 May 2020 05:40:47 -0700, flyguy <flyguy26e@verizon.netto>
> wrote:
>
>> Windows 10, SM 2.49.4
>>
>> Task Manager showed SM using 32% memory with email and one browser window open.
>> The browser had only one tab with the Washington Post front page. Closing the
>> browser reduced memory use to 24%; after closing the email then reopening it, it
>> used only 7%. I've noticed this high memory usage before. Is there a way to avoid
>> it, or to reduce it without closing the program? I don't mind closing/reopening
>> the email, but often I have several windows and tabs open, so it's a nuisance to
>> close the browser, too.
>
> It isn't just you.
>
> SM has always been a memory hog.
> I run it with disk cache disabled, set to 1Mb that is.
> Prefetching disabled, check page on every load.
> It exceeds 2Gb for me daily, at times spiking to 4Gb.
> Thank goodness for the restart button.
>
> The pattern I have noticed indicates not all memory is released when a
> page is closed.
> If a page takes 150Mb to render, 25-50Mb is not released.
> It could be an incomplete release list, or some automatic allocator that
> fails to report memory usage correctly.
> Not that FF is much better behaved.
> No idea on chrome, I won't allow it on my system.
>
> Still better than the mess that is FF.
> I am so glad I can kill tabs, I hate those things.

Ditto. SM v2.53.2 and earlier still use old Gecko's web browser engine.
I was told v2.57 uses the newer one that current Firefox uses. It still
has a long way to go before it's stable for the public though. :( I have
to exit and restart my SeaMonkey often because of bloated web sites like
YouTube, LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, Reddit's new design (old design is
fine), etc. It really hogs resources like memories, CPU, etc. SeaMonkey
even freezes and sometimes get stuck forever! It doesn't even take long
too for these issues to come up too! :(
--
...!.. illness like COVID-19/2019-nCoV/SARS-CoV-2!
this signature correctly.
  | |o   o| |   Axe ANT from its address if shown & e-mailing privately.
     \ _ /       Please kindly use Ant nickname & URL/link if crediting.
      ( )
0
Ant
5/20/2020 9:04:19 PM

Ant wrote:
> On 5/20/2020 10:00 AM, Doors wrote:
>> On Sun, 17 May 2020 05:40:47 -0700, flyguy <flyguy26e@verizon.netto>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Windows 10, SM 2.49.4
>>>
>>> Task Manager showed SM using 32% memory with email and one browser window
>>> open.
>>> The browser had only one tab with the Washington Post front page. Closing the
>>> browser reduced memory use to 24%; after closing the email then reopening
>>> it, it
>>> used only 7%. I've noticed this high memory usage before. Is there a way to
>>> avoid
>>> it, or to reduce it without closing the program? I don't mind
>>> closing/reopening
>>> the email, but often I have several windows and tabs open, so it's a
>>> nuisance to
>>> close the browser, too.
>>
>> It isn't just you.
>>
>> SM has always been a memory hog.
>> I run it with disk cache disabled, set to 1Mb that is.
>> Prefetching disabled, check page on every load.
>> It exceeds 2Gb for me daily, at times spiking to 4Gb.
>> Thank goodness for the restart button.
>>
>> The pattern I have noticed indicates not all memory is released when a
>> page is closed.
>> If a page takes 150Mb to render, 25-50Mb is not released.
>> It could be an incomplete release list, or some automatic allocator that
>> fails to report memory usage correctly.
>> Not that FF is much better behaved.
>> No idea on chrome, I won't allow it on my system.
>>
>> Still better than the mess that is FF.
>> I am so glad I can kill tabs, I hate those things.
>
> Ditto. SM v2.53.2 and earlier still use old Gecko's web browser engine. I was
> told v2.57 uses the newer one that current Firefox uses. It still has a long
> way to go before it's stable for the public though. :( I have to exit and
> restart my SeaMonkey often because of bloated web sites like YouTube,
> LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, Reddit's new design (old design is fine), etc. It
> really hogs resources like memories, CPU, etc. SeaMonkey even freezes and
> sometimes get stuck forever! It doesn't even take long too for these issues to
> come up too! :(

Ther is no new web browser engine. Actually 2.53.x has many backports here.
2.57 and up are not really faster. Just bloated sites these days.

FRG
0
Frank
5/20/2020 10:49:35 PM
On 5/20/2020 3:49 PM, Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:

> Ant wrote:
>> On 5/20/2020 10:00 AM, Doors wrote:

>>> It isn't just you.
>>>
>>> SM has always been a memory hog.
>>> I run it with disk cache disabled, set to 1Mb that is.
>>> Prefetching disabled, check page on every load.
>>> It exceeds 2Gb for me daily, at times spiking to 4Gb.
>>> Thank goodness for the restart button.
>>>
>>> The pattern I have noticed indicates not all memory is released when a
>>> page is closed.
>>> If a page takes 150Mb to render, 25-50Mb is not released.
>>> It could be an incomplete release list, or some automatic allocator that
>>> fails to report memory usage correctly.
>>> Not that FF is much better behaved.
>>> No idea on chrome, I won't allow it on my system.
>>>
>>> Still better than the mess that is FF.
>>> I am so glad I can kill tabs, I hate those things.
>>
>> Ditto. SM v2.53.2 and earlier still use old Gecko's web browser
>> engine. I was told v2.57 uses the newer one that current Firefox uses.
>> It still has a long way to go before it's stable for the public
>> though. :( I have to exit and restart my SeaMonkey often because of
>> bloated web sites like YouTube, LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, Reddit's
>> new design (old design is fine), etc. It really hogs resources like
>> memories, CPU, etc. SeaMonkey even freezes and sometimes get stuck
>> forever! It doesn't even take long too for these issues to come up
>> too! :(
>
> Ther is no new web browser engine. Actually 2.53.x has many backports
> here. 2.57 and up are not really faster. Just bloated sites these days.

Oh. Firefox's newer Geck web engine is much faster than the one in
SeaMonkey. :(
--
...!.. illness like COVID-19/2019-nCoV/SARS-CoV-2!
this signature correctly.
    /\___/\                     http://aqfl.net & http://antfarm.ma.cx /
   / /\ /\ \                                 http://antfarm.home.dhs.org
  | |o   o| |   Axe ANT from its address if shown & e-mailing privately.
     \ _ /       Please kindly use Ant nickname & URL/link if crediting.
      ( )
0
Ant
5/21/2020 4:56:14 PM

Ant wrote:
> On 5/20/2020 3:49 PM, Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:
>>

>> Ant wrote:

>>> Ditto. SM v2.53.2 and earlier still use old Gecko's web browser engine. I
>>> was told v2.57 uses the newer one that current Firefox uses. It still has a
>>> long way to go before it's stable for the public though. :( I have to exit
>>> and restart my SeaMonkey often because of bloated web sites like YouTube,
>>> LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, Reddit's new design (old design is fine), etc.
>>> It really hogs resources like memories, CPU, etc. SeaMonkey even freezes
>>> and sometimes get stuck forever! It doesn't even take long too for these
>>> issues to come up too! :(
>>
>> Ther is no new web browser engine. Actually 2.53.x has many backports here.
>> 2.57 and up are not really faster. Just bloated sites these days.
>
> Oh. Firefox's newer Geck web engine is much faster than the one in SeaMonkey. :(

There is no new web engine.

FRG

0
Frank
5/21/2020 7:38:10 PM
On 5/21/20 3:38 PM, Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:

> Ant wrote:

>>> Ther is no new web browser engine. Actually 2.53.x has many backports
>>> here. 2.57 and up are not really faster. Just bloated sites these days.
>>
>> Oh. Firefox's newer Geck web engine is much faster than the one in
>> SeaMonkey. :(
>
> There is no new web engine.
>
> FRG

So Gecko 78 with all the mozilla-central commits wouldn't be a new and
improved Gecko engine?

I think 76 may also have some improvements like WebRender for some
Windows users on modern Intel laptops with a small screen for improved
graphics rendering.

YMMV

--
OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop
https://give.thunderbird.net/en-US/

0
WaltS48
5/21/2020 9:52:44 PM

WaltS48 wrote:
> On 5/21/20 3:38 PM, Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:
>>

>> Ant wrote:

>>> Oh. Firefox's newer Geck web engine is much faster than the one in
>>> SeaMonkey. :(
>>
>> There is no new web engine.
>>
>> FRG
>>

> So Gecko 78 with all the mozilla-central commits wouldn't be a new and
> improved Gecko engine?

Improved yes but not new. Rip enough functionality out, dumb down the ui with
primitive black and white svg graphics (fast because vector graphics) and put
bogus blocking stuff in it in the name of privacy which prior to this was done
by extensions like uBlock and NoScript and you get: A faster browser.
Surprise! Most of it possible because of e10s which doesn't block the ui and
unfortunately neither TB nor SeaMonkey has yet.

I am the last one saying that SeaMonkey rendering is faster or better but
Chromium Edge still runs circles around both Fx and SM.

> I think 76 may also have some improvements like WebRender for some Windows
> users on modern Intel laptops with a small screen for improved graphics
> rendering.

Yes unless you run with a buggy graphics driver which, in my opinion is the
case for all Intel chips and older AMD/Nvidia drivers. Rust and webrender to
the rescue! We will see in about 2 years if I am wrong.

> YMMV

Yes but overall SM still delivers the best overall usability package for me.
Not for everyone or course. Use Google or facebook extensively and you are
probably better off with a Chromium based browser. But the good thing is you
can run bioth side by side if needed :)

FRG
0
Frank
5/21/2020 10:20:20 PM
flyguy wrote:
> Windows 10, SM 2.49.4
>
> Task Manager showed SM using 32% memory with email and one browser
> window open.

W7U64 4G RAM, SM 2.49.5

Fresh boot

SM browser one empty tab: 300MB SM RAM

SM browser still open and mail open and downloading mail: 800MB SM RAM

SM browser still open and mail open and mail settled: 500MB SM RAM

Is that a lot?

Ray

0
Ray
5/23/2020 2:25:17 PM
Doors wrote on 5/20/2020 10:00 AM:
> On Sun, 17 May 2020 05:40:47 -0700, flyguy <flyguy26e@verizon.netto>
> wrote:
>
>> Windows 10, SM 2.49.4
>>
>> Task Manager showed SM using 32% memory with email and one browser window open.
>> The browser had only one tab with the Washington Post front page. Closing the
>> browser reduced memory use to 24%; after closing the email then reopening it, it
>> used only 7%. I've noticed this high memory usage before. Is there a way to avoid
>> it, or to reduce it without closing the program? I don't mind closing/reopening
>> the email, but often I have several windows and tabs open, so it's a nuisance to
>> close the browser, too.
>
> It isn't just you.
>
> SM has always been a memory hog.
> I run it with disk cache disabled, set to 1Mb that is.
> Prefetching disabled, check page on every load.
> It exceeds 2Gb for me daily, at times spiking to 4Gb.
> Thank goodness for the restart button.
>
> The pattern I have noticed indicates not all memory is released when a
> page is closed.
> If a page takes 150Mb to render, 25-50Mb is not released.
> It could be an incomplete release list, or some automatic allocator that
> fails to report memory usage correctly.
> Not that FF is much better behaved.
> No idea on chrome, I won't allow it on my system.
>
> Still better than the mess that is FF.
> I am so glad I can kill tabs, I hate those things.

I changed my disk cache from "SM manages size" to 50 MB, and disabled the
prefetch. SM runs much better now, with less CPU and memory usage. Formerly I
struggled to keep the memory usage under 80%; now it remains in the 50s and low
60s. No slowdowns, no more "Not Responding".

0
flyguy
5/24/2020 3:48:24 AM
flyguy wrote on 5/23/2020 8:48 PM:

> I changed my disk cache from "SM manages size" to 50 MB, and disabled the
> prefetch. SM runs much better now, with less CPU and memory usage. Formerly I
> struggled to keep the memory usage under 80%; now it remains in the 50s and low
> 60s. No slowdowns, no more "Not Responding".

I should note the usage mentioned is total for the machine, not just what SM is
using, which is now in 15%-30% range, depending on the number of tabs and the sites.

0
flyguy