Java plugin in future SeaMonkey releases?

I'm not upgrading Fx 45.9 ESR to 52 ESR because there is no Java plugin
for version 52.  Will there be a Java plugin for SeaMonkey 2.48?  What
about 2.49 (as it is based off Fx 52 ESR)?
0
Desiree
6/17/2017 9:27:36 AM
mozilla.support.seamonkey 12386 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

The x86 52 ESR still supports plugins. You just need to set
plugin.load_flash_only to false in about:config.

This is the default for 2.48 and 2.49.1 build from the ESR branch.

Starting with 2.50 the pref has been removed because it is no longer
guaranteed that plugins other than Flash will work.

FRG

Desiree wrote:
> I'm not upgrading Fx 45.9 ESR to 52 ESR because there is no Java plugin for
> version 52.  Will there be a Java plugin for SeaMonkey 2.48?  What about 2.49
> (as it is based off Fx 52 ESR)?

0
Frank
6/17/2017 10:11:59 AM
Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:
> The x86 52 ESR still supports plugins. You just need to set
> plugin.load_flash_only to false in about:config.
>
> This is the default for 2.48 and 2.49.1 build from the ESR branch.
>
> Starting with 2.50 the pref has been removed because it is no longer
> guaranteed that plugins other than Flash will work.
>
> FRG
>
> Desiree wrote:
>> I'm not upgrading Fx 45.9 ESR to 52 ESR because there is no Java
>> plugin for version 52.  Will there be a Java plugin for SeaMonkey
>> 2.48?  What about 2.49 (as it is based off Fx 52 ESR)?

That is NOT necessary for the ESR version of Firefox.  I know, because I
switched to it myself when Mozilla decided to pull support for NPAPI
plug ins.  I need Java in order to use my company's payroll site to get
paid, so NOT supporting Java is NOT an option.

Seamonkey is currently based on an even older version of Firefox so
NPAPI plugins are still supported (for now).

--
Jaime A. Cruz
President

AMA District 34
http://www.AMADistrict34.com/
Freddy's Run
http://www.freddysrun.org/
0
Cruz
6/19/2017 1:05:35 AM
Cruz, Jaime wrote:
> Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:
>> The x86 52 ESR still supports plugins. You just need to set
>> plugin.load_flash_only to false in about:config.
>>
>> This is the default for 2.48 and 2.49.1 build from the ESR branch.
>>
>> Starting with 2.50 the pref has been removed because it is no longer
>> guaranteed that plugins other than Flash will work.
>>
>> FRG
>>
>> Desiree wrote:
>>> I'm not upgrading Fx 45.9 ESR to 52 ESR because there is no Java
>>> plugin for version 52.  Will there be a Java plugin for SeaMonkey
>>> 2.48?  What about 2.49 (as it is based off Fx 52 ESR)?
>>
> That is NOT necessary for the ESR version of Firefox.  I know, because
> I switched to it myself when Mozilla decided to pull support for NPAPI
> plug ins.  I need Java in order to use my company's payroll site to
> get paid, so NOT supporting Java is NOT an option.
>
> Seamonkey is currently based on an even older version of Firefox so
> NPAPI plugins are still supported (for now).

Your company should update its Java based application. Java plugins are
outdated, and will be deprecated from Java 9 onwards. There are other
ways to run a Java application from within a browser.

No 64 bit version of Firefox or Seamonkey supports a Java plugin.

0
Dirk
6/19/2017 12:15:06 PM
Dirk Munk wrote:
> Cruz, Jaime wrote:
>> Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:
>>> The x86 52 ESR still supports plugins. You just need to set
>>> plugin.load_flash_only to false in about:config.
>>>
>>> This is the default for 2.48 and 2.49.1 build from the ESR branch.
>>>
>>> Starting with 2.50 the pref has been removed because it is no longer
>>> guaranteed that plugins other than Flash will work.
>>>
>>> FRG

>> That is NOT necessary for the ESR version of Firefox.  I know, because
>> I switched to it myself when Mozilla decided to pull support for NPAPI
>> plug ins.  I need Java in order to use my company's payroll site to
>> get paid, so NOT supporting Java is NOT an option.
>>
>> Seamonkey is currently based on an even older version of Firefox so
>> NPAPI plugins are still supported (for now).
>>
> Your company should update its Java based application. Java plugins are
> outdated, and will be deprecated from Java 9 onwards. There are other
> ways to run a Java application from within a browser.
>
> No 64 bit version of Firefox or Seamonkey supports a Java plugin.

Don't keep us in suspense. What are the "other ways to run a Java
application from within a browser"?
Larry S.
0
Larry
6/19/2017 12:41:31 PM
On 6/19/17 8:41 AM, Larry S. wrote:
> Dirk Munk wrote:
>> Cruz, Jaime wrote:

>>> That is NOT necessary for the ESR version of Firefox.  I know, because
>>> I switched to it myself when Mozilla decided to pull support for NPAPI
>>> plug ins.  I need Java in order to use my company's payroll site to
>>> get paid, so NOT supporting Java is NOT an option.
>>>
>>> Seamonkey is currently based on an even older version of Firefox so
>>> NPAPI plugins are still supported (for now).
>>>
>> Your company should update its Java based application. Java plugins are
>> outdated, and will be deprecated from Java 9 onwards. There are other
>> ways to run a Java application from within a browser.
>>
>> No 64 bit version of Firefox or Seamonkey supports a Java plugin.
>>

> Don't keep us in suspense. What are the "other ways to run a Java
> application from within a browser"?
> Larry S.

Well,

> Oracle recommends that sites currently using Java applets consider switching to plugin-free solutions such as Java Web Start.

REF:
<https://blog.mozilla.org/futurereleases/2015/10/08/npapi-plugins-in-firefox/>

Only 4 more months and that blog post will be 2 years old.

--
Go Bucs!
Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>
On 6/19/17 8:41 AM, Larry S. wrote:
> Dirk Munk wrote:
>> Cruz, Jaime wrote:

>>> That is NOT necessary for the ESR version of Firefox.  I know, because
>>> I switched to it myself when Mozilla decided to pull support for NPAPI
>>> plug ins.  I need Java in order to use my company's payroll site to
>>> get paid, so NOT supporting Java is NOT an option.
>>>
>>> Seamonkey is currently based on an even older version of Firefox so
>>> NPAPI plugins are still supported (for now).
>>>
>> Your company should update its Java based application. Java plugins are
>> outdated, and will be deprecated from Java 9 onwards. There are other
>> ways to run a Java application from within a browser.
>>
>> No 64 bit version of Firefox or Seamonkey supports a Java plugin.
>>

> Don't keep us in suspense. What are the "other ways to run a Java
> application from within a browser"?
> Larry S.

This one is over 2 years old.

<https://blogs.oracle.com/java-platform-group/java-web-start-in-or-out-of-the-browser>

--
Go Bucs!
Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>
Ubuntu 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop
0
WaltS48
6/19/2017 1:57:53 PM
On 06/19/2017 08:15 AM, Dirk Munk wrote:
> Cruz, Jaime wrote:
>> Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:
>
> No 64 bit version of Firefox or Seamonkey supports a Java plugin.

Ummmm... no... my 64 bit version of Firefox AND my 64 bit version of
Seamonkey both work quite well with the OpenJDK plug in.

--
Jaime A. Cruz
President
Nassau Wings Motorcycle Club
http://www.nassauwings.org/

AMA District 34
http://www.AMADistrict34.com/
Freddy's Run
http://www.freddysrun.org/
0
Cruz
6/19/2017 11:17:17 PM
Cruz, Jaime wrote:
> On 06/19/2017 08:15 AM, Dirk Munk wrote:
>> Cruz, Jaime wrote:
>>> Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:
>>
>> No 64 bit version of Firefox or Seamonkey supports a Java plugin.
>>

> Ummmm... no... my 64 bit version of Firefox AND my 64 bit version of
> Seamonkey both work quite well with the OpenJDK plug in.

Yes, but the OpenJDK kit doesn't support the recommended Web Start
functionality to run Java applications.
0
Dirk