Is my method of passing my current SM onto my new pc ?

Hello,
This is what i will do - tell me if i do something wrrong or if I miss
something ?
Before copying the Seamonkey directory .. must I remove all plugins,
extentions,language pack, dictionaary ???
My current pc (windows10) is nearly dead - I have ordered a new one
which I think will be under windows10 also.

I am using installed SM 2.49.1 and I have all software and plugin
intallation files,etc .. to install 2.49.1 from scratch.

So to pass from the old pc to the new one...

With the old pc I will copy the
C:\Users\tit_p\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\SeaMonkey\ directory somewhere.
when Seeamonky is completely out of the mix.

"tit_p" is my user name of my old pc.
"i-dont-know-now" will be my user name of my new pc.

then I will install the same SM version onto my new pc.
without installing french dictionary, adblockPlus, french language pack
....etc
When the install is finished without personnalization ... I will stop SM
then reboot the pc (so I am sure that no part od SM is running).

Then I will
1. delete the "Seamonkey" directory under
C:\Users\i-dont-know-now\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\ location of my new pc.
2. copy the "Seamonkey" directory under
C:\Users\tit_p\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\ location of my old pc.(copied
before)
into the "Seamonkey" directory under
C:\Users\i-dont-know-now\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\ location of my new pc.

then start SM on my new pc, and all should be ok ? YES ? NO ?

0
Ray_Net
3/16/2020 7:56:04 AM
mozilla.support.seamonkey 13415 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Ray_Net wrote on 16/03/2020 6:56 PM:

(Looking at your post, it seems O.K. to me, but the more informed will
respond and let you know of any problems!

I want to make another suggestion to you .... Rather than installing
everything on your System Hard drive, C:\, as you have a 'new' computer
Hard drive, have you considered setting it up differently??

On this Laptop, I have Win 7 set up to access only about a total HD of
100Gb, which I then separated into ....

C:\ 60Gb	My Windows 7 OS Directory
D:\ 20Gb	My Executables (LibreOffice, SeaMonkey, etc) disk
E:\ 20Gb	My Data and Games disk

This means, when MicroSoft updates my Win7, I just need to back-up that
C:\ drive/partition. When I install a new SeaMonkey or LibreOffice or
whatever program, I just need to back-up that D:\ drive/partition. When
I download a new music CD, Film, Game, whatever or to back-up my SM
Profile, I just need to back-up that E:\ drive/partition.

Just a suggestion .... that may or may not suit your situation.

HTH

--
Daniel

Win7 User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.5 Build identifier: 20190609032134

Linux User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623
0
Daniel
3/16/2020 10:14:49 AM
Ray_Net wrote:
> Hello,
> This is what i will do - tell me if i do something wrrong or if I miss
> something ?

I think you're making this a lot harder than it needs to be

> Before copying the Seamonkey directory .. must I remove all plugins,
> extentions,language pack, dictionaary ???
> My current pc (windows10) is nearly dead - I have ordered a new one
> which I think will be under windows10 also.
>
> I am using installed SM 2.49.1 and I have all software and plugin
> intallation files,etc .. to install 2.49.1 from scratch.
>
> So to pass from the old pc to the new one...

The route that I would go:

1) On the old computer, get a copy of your existing profile.  That's in
%APPDATA%\Mozilla\Seamonkey.  For the purposes of transfer to the new
computer, you could copy that all into a .ZIP archive, to allow for the
convenience having it all in a container, but that's not essential.

Don't bother with uninstalling extensions or other add-ons, although it
is worth checking there's any issues with the extensions you run, of how
they behave under 2.53.1.  There are a handful that could behave
differently (or not at all) than under 2.49.5, but I don't think there
are many.  For the most commonly used ones (especially AdBlock Plus,
uBlock Origin, NoScript and Session Manager, those are all directly
addressed in the release notes. PrefBar still works under 2.53.1, and
that hasn't changed. There is a popular password manager tool (Password
Manager, but I'm not positive of the name) -- that doesn't work under
2.53.1, but it hasn't worked for several previous releases, either.

In any case, it is worth making sure you read the Release Notes (all of
them, but especially the Extensions and Known Issues sections).

2) On the new computer, install Seamonkey 2.53.1.

3) On the new computer, copy the contents of your profile data into
%APPDATA%\Mozilla\Seamonkey.

(For these examples, note that I'm using the Windows system variable,
%APPDATA% -- if you use that (as Seamonkey itself does), then you don't
have to be meticulous about figuring out the exact path, including your
Windows user name, especially if the names aren't the same between the
computers.  Let Windows do that work for you.

4) Start Seamonkey on the new computer.  You should have an exact copy
of everything you had on the old computer, and you still have backups of
all your profile, if there really is something wrong (which is doubtful,
although not impossible).

No reboots are necessary, although you do want to make sure that
Seamonkey isn't running, when you're playing with profiles.

Alternate work-around: if you're really nervous or reluctant to install
2.53. on the new computer, you can install 2.49.5, if you want, but all
the procedure is the same. You can upgrade to 2.53.1 (and should) later.
One consideration would be that profiles are no longer backward
compatible, and you can't downgrade without a risk of data corruption.
If you find 2.53.1 to be problematic, then the way to downgrade would be
to remove your profile, then uninstall that, and install 2.49.5, and
then copy in the profile from your backup data, as noted above.

Thus, you really want to make sure you have a good backup of your
profile. I suggested putting into a .ZIP archive, but even getting it
all copied to a USB thumb drive is sufficient.

I will note that I have Seamonkey installed on 3 machines. My primary
working machine is one that I deployed about 6 months ago, and I used
the same methodology as I described above, to move data from not only
Seamonkey, but Firefox and Thunderbird, as well.  The only issue I saw
was that in Seamonkey, the indexing for newsgroup subscriptions had
problems, and I ended up having to do "repair folder" on several
newsgroups, and I think for one or two groups, it was faster/easier just
to unsubscribe and resubscribe those groups.

For the upgrade from 2.49.5 to 2.53.1, I was a little more cautious than
normal, including waiting nearly a week before I applied it to my
primary working machine.  Since I have 3 machines, for the secondaries,
I upgraded them first, making sure I had good backups of my profiles,
and then just to be sure there weren't any issues, I did uninstall the
existing copy of Seamonkey. I had 64-bit versions installed, but I don't
remember uninstalling Seamonkey when I upgraded to 2.49.5, and noting
comment about possible conflict of installing a 64-bit where a 32-bit
version already exists, I chose to do a uninstall to make sure there
wasn't any 32-bit code left, before installing a 64-bit version. I'm
pretty sure I did that previously, but just that I don't remember doing
it specifically.  In any case, by my experience, there's no reason to
not use a 64-bit version.

FWIW, in an earlier era, it was normal procedure to have to uninstall
Seamonkey before upgrading to a newer version. It's not a big deal to
have to do that, because an uninstall won't delete your profile (unless
you select the option to delete profile).

Smith
0
NFN
3/16/2020 3:36:48 PM
NFN Smith wrote:
> Ray_Net wrote:
>> Hello,
> FWIW, in an earlier era, it was normal procedure to have to uninstall
> Seamonkey before upgrading to a newer version. It's not a big deal to have to
> do that, because an uninstall won't delete your profile (unless you select the
> option to delete profile).
>
> Smith

Sounds like a plan. You don't need to uninstall. I am using the same userid in
all my installations and copy profiles now and then for testing.

Only uninstall if you plan to go from x86 to x64 or vice versa.

FRG
0
Frank