is anyone performing mail successfully sent, with a copy in the sent folder and never received for the recipient!!!

is anyone performing mail successfully sent, with a copy in the sent
folder and never received for the recipient!!!
It happened 10 times during the last 24 hours!!!!
Should I quit SeaMonkey and rely on Thunderbird now???
Best Regards
@lex
0
Alex
11/2/2018 6:11:12 PM
mozilla.support.seamonkey 12975 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

On 11/2/2018 11:11 AM, Alex Beauroy wrote:
> is anyone performing mail successfully sent, with a copy in the sent
> folder and never received for the recipient!!!
> It happened 10 times during the last 24 hours!!!!
> Should I quit SeaMonkey and rely on Thunderbird now???
> Best Regards
> @lex

Such a problem is not always within your own system.  Among other causes:

*  The recipient's mail host might block the message because the
recipients inbox is full, because your ISP was (erroniously?) identified
as a source of spam, or because a possibly innocent attachment to your
message violates some policy.  I have seen this happen.  Worse, I have
seen this happen when the recipient's mail host is not configured to
issue a bounce message.

*  Your own ISP's mail server blocked the message because of an
attachment that is a file-type it does not allow.  I once used an ISP
that would not allow me to send an application (file-type .exe) as an
attachment.  It also prevented me from sending ZIP files.  Both of these
were considered sources of malware.  Again, I got no response message
that my E-mail did not go through.  (In the case of an application, I
would zip it; for that and other ZIP attachments, I would then remove
the file-extension,  My E-mail would instruct the recipient to restore
the .zip extension and then unzip it.)

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

President Trump claims there would have been no victims in
the Pittsburgh synagogue if there were armed guards inside.
He ignores the fact that there were two police officers already
in the facility, armed with their service weapons, before
the shooting started.  The problem of mass shootings cannot
be solved by having even more guns.
0
David
11/2/2018 6:23:12 PM
On 02/11/2018 19:23, David E. Ross wrote:
> On 11/2/2018 11:11 AM, Alex Beauroy wrote:
>> is anyone performing mail successfully sent, with a copy in the sent
>> folder and never received for the recipient!!!
>> It happened 10 times during the last 24 hours!!!!
>> Should I quit SeaMonkey and rely on Thunderbird now???
>> Best Regards
>> @lex
>>

> Such a problem is not always within your own system.  Among other causes:
>
> *  The recipient's mail host might block the message because the
> recipients inbox is full, because your ISP was (erroniously?) identified
> as a source of spam, or because a possibly innocent attachment to your
> message violates some policy.  I have seen this happen.  Worse, I have
> seen this happen when the recipient's mail host is not configured to
> issue a bounce message.
>
> *  Your own ISP's mail server blocked the message because of an
> attachment that is a file-type it does not allow.  I once used an ISP
> that would not allow me to send an application (file-type .exe) as an
> attachment.  It also prevented me from sending ZIP files.  Both of these
> were considered sources of malware.  Again, I got no response message
> that my E-mail did not go through.  (In the case of an application, I
> would zip it; for that and other ZIP attachments, I would then remove
> the file-extension,  My E-mail would instruct the recipient to restore
> the .zip extension and then unzip it.)

Thanks a lot for your quick answer!! I have a lot of doubts regarding my
ISP, who doesn't take car of the land lines network, as I'm living in
the country side. But I'll have to check everything and just try again.
Anyway I'll get everyone informed of what is going on in this thread!!!
Thanks a lot for your assistance
@lex

0
Alex
11/2/2018 6:36:58 PM
Alex Beauroy wrote:
> is anyone performing mail successfully sent, with a copy in the sent
> folder and never received for the recipient!!!
> It happened 10 times during the last 24 hours!!!!
> Should I quit SeaMonkey and rely on Thunderbird now???
> Best Regards
> @lex

Are we talking one recipient for the 10 mails or multiple recipients?
If multiple recipients, are they all under one domain (for example
wanadoo.fr)?

Normally I'd expect - in this case - wanadoo to tell you if the mails
could not be delivered.  I suppose you could test that by mailing me on
the address I'm faking here.
Oh, and you are really "online"?  The outgoing mails are not stuck in
waiting-to-be-sent-when-you-go-online?

--
spammus ergo sum
0
Alex Beauroy a écrit :
> is anyone performing mail successfully sent, with a copy in the sent
> folder and never received for the recipient!!!
> It happened 10 times during the last 24 hours!!!!
> Should I quit SeaMonkey and rely on Thunderbird now???
> Best Regards
> @lex

If you want to know if a mail is really sent,
don't put a copy in the sent folder, but include yourself in the
recipient's list (invisible carbon copy)
then filter input mail from yourself to put it in the sent folder

at least, you will know if the mail can be received
of course there could be some problems at the recipient side (or provider)

0
cyberzen
11/3/2018 3:56:21 PM
On 03/11/2018 16:56, cyberzen wrote:
> Alex Beauroy a écrit :
>> is anyone performing mail successfully sent, with a copy in the sent
>> folder and never received for the recipient!!!
>> It happened 10 times during the last 24 hours!!!!
>> Should I quit SeaMonkey and rely on Thunderbird now???
>> Best Regards
>> @lex
>
> If you want to know if a mail is really sent,
> don't put a copy in the sent folder, but include yourself in the
> recipient's list (invisible carbon copy)
> then filter input mail from yourself to put it in the sent folder
>
> at least, you will know if the mail can be received
> of course there could be some problems at the recipient side (or provider)

I'm sending my important e-mail with a bcc to another e-mail address.
When I don't get my bcc copy on the second e-mail address there's
something wrong!
And this is the problem I tried to describe!

0
Alex
11/3/2018 5:18:20 PM
Alex Beauroy wrote on 03-11-18 18:18:
> On 03/11/2018 16:56, cyberzen wrote:
>> Alex Beauroy a écrit :
>>> is anyone performing mail successfully sent, with a copy in the sent
>>> folder and never received for the recipient!!!
>>> It happened 10 times during the last 24 hours!!!!
>>> Should I quit SeaMonkey and rely on Thunderbird now???
>>> Best Regards
>>> @lex
>>
>> If you want to know if a mail is really sent,
>> don't put a copy in the sent folder, but include yourself in the
>> recipient's list (invisible carbon copy)
>> then filter input mail from yourself to put it in the sent folder
>>
>> at least, you will know if the mail can be received
>> of course there could be some problems at the recipient side (or
>> provider)
>>
> I'm sending my important e-mail with a bcc to another e-mail address.
> When I don't get my bcc copy on the second e-mail address there's
> something wrong!
> And this is the problem I tried to describe!

So when you try this simple test: test number 1.
Write a mail from my.adress@mail.com to another.adress@anothermail.com
then send it.
Is this mail received at another.adress@anothermail.com ? (which is your
"another e-mail address")

then do another simple test: test number 2.
Write a mail from my.adress@mail.com to my.adress@mail.com
  then send it.
Is this mail received at my.adress@mail.com ?

If the test number 2 failed then the culprit is the mailserver of the
domain mail.com
If the test number 2 is a success and the test number 1 fail then the
culprit is the mailserver of the domain anothermail.com

0
Ray_Net
11/3/2018 7:56:16 PM
cyberzen wrote:
> Alex Beauroy a écrit :
>> is anyone performing mail successfully sent, with a copy in the sent
>> folder and never received for the recipient!!!
>> It happened 10 times during the last 24 hours!!!!
>> Should I quit SeaMonkey and rely on Thunderbird now???
>> Best Regards
>> @lex

This one sounds like a server-level problem, somewhere between your
provider and the recipient's provider, and I'm inclined to believe the
latter, especially if you're not seeing any problems with sending mail
to others.

As a general thing, when mail is sent, if it doesn't reach the mailbox
of the intended recipient, there's usually some sort of paper trail.  If
the message is undeliverable with a permanent error (e.g., "no such user
exists"), you'll get a bounce message. If it's undeliverable because of
a temporary error (e.g., server not responding), it's typical that the
sending server will generate a notification to the original sender that
the message has not yet been delivered, but will keep trying.

At the receiving server, it's unusual (but not impossible) that a
message is silently delivered to the bit bucket.  If the message is
reaching the target server, but not the addressee's inbox, then the most
likely thing is that the message is being designated as spam on the
server, and being dropped into a Spam folder.  If the recipient uses a
POP connection, then it means that the only folder in the mailbox that
is visible to the user is the inbox.  Short of setting up an IMAP
connection, the only way the user can see the rest of the mailbox is via
the provider's web client, and then checking the spam folder.

How providers do spam handling varies widely -- some may use
SpamAssassin or similar tool. Some may allow for user-specified tuning,
such a "Junk" or "not Junk" button, or whitelisting of senders listed in
the user's address book. (I'm also assuming that the recipient doesn't
have any user-defined rules or filters -- I have seen it happen where a
user has a rule that is intended to delete certain inbound messages, but
where it hasn't been tested well enough, and the effect is to delete
legitimate mail)

> If you want to know if a mail is really sent,
> don't put a copy in the sent folder, but include yourself in the
> recipient's list (invisible carbon copy)
> then filter input mail from yourself to put it in the sent folder
>
> at least, you will know if the mail can be received
> of course there could be some problems at the recipient side (or provider)

That's probably the fastest/easiest test -- that confirms that the
message has made it out of your client and to your provider's server,
but it can't tell you how the recipient's server (or any intermediary
servers) may be handling the message.

My best guess is that the message is getting to the receiver's server,
but that spam filtering or rules handling is putting it into a folder
that the recipient doesn't (or can't see) with their normal setups.

Smith

Smith
0
NFN