Is anybody else still using Win 7 here?

Last Monday (so Sunday Evening USA time) when I checked my Windows
Update portal, it showed there was an 80.6MB update waiting to be installed.

(Note: Last Monday, so not the normal Windows7 update, which, if there
is one, I usually get on a Wednesday Afternoon (so Tuesday Evening USA
time))

Virtually daily since, I've been having to re-boot my Win7 so it can
complete the installation .... but time after time after time, the
update fails, so the system reverts to the previously installed system
..... until next cold boot!!

Is anyone else seeing this behaviour?? Can I, somehow, delete the
Windows Update from the Control Panel screen .... and hope things get
fixed up/picked up next Update Tuesday??

Any other suggestions .... APART FROM UPDATING TO WIN10??
--
Daniel

Win7 User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.5 Build identifier: 20190609032134

Linux User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623
0
Daniel
6/27/2020 10:22:44 AM
mozilla.support.seamonkey 13525 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Daniel wrote:
> Last Monday (so Sunday Evening USA time) when I checked my Windows Update
> portal, it showed there was an 80.6MB update waiting to be installed.
>
> (Note: Last Monday, so not the normal Windows7 update, which, if there is one,
> I usually get on a Wednesday Afternoon (so Tuesday Evening USA time))
>
> Virtually daily since, I've been having to re-boot my Win7 so it can complete
> the installation .... but time after time after time, the update fails, so the
> system reverts to the previously installed system .... until next cold boot!!
>
> Is anyone else seeing this behaviour?? Can I, somehow, delete the Windows
> Update from the Control Panel screen .... and hope things get fixed up/picked
> up next Update Tuesday??
>
> Any other suggestions .... APART FROM UPDATING TO WIN10??

What is the kb number of the update? Microsoft rolled out Chromium Edge to 7
and 8.1 too last week. Didn't do it on 7 because would be only for less than a
year. They plan to discontinue it on 7 in June 2021 and extended updates still
run till 2023. So no point installing i.

FRG
0
Frank
6/27/2020 12:03:27 PM
Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote on 27/06/2020 10:03 PM:
> Daniel wrote:
>> Last Monday (so Sunday Evening USA time) when I checked my Windows
>> Update portal, it showed there was an 80.6MB update waiting to be
>> installed.
>>
>> (Note: Last Monday, so not the normal Windows7 update, which, if there
>> is one, I usually get on a Wednesday Afternoon (so Tuesday Evening USA
>> time))
>>
>> Virtually daily since, I've been having to re-boot my Win7 so it can
>> complete the installation .... but time after time after time, the
>> update fails, so the system reverts to the previously installed system
>> .... until next cold boot!!
>>
>> Is anyone else seeing this behaviour?? Can I, somehow, delete the
>> Windows Update from the Control Panel screen .... and hope things get
>> fixed up/picked up next Update Tuesday??
>>
>> Any other suggestions .... APART FROM UPDATING TO WIN10??
>
> What is the kb number of the update? Microsoft rolled out Chromium Edge
> to 7 and 8.1 too last week. Didn't do it on 7 because would be only for
> less than a year. They plan to discontinue it on 7 in June 2021 and
> extended updates still run till 2023. So no point installing i.
>
> FRG
Thanks, Frank-Rainer. The two updates are ...

Important (MS Edge) Update -KB4567409
Optional (2020-01 Preview of Monthly Quality Rollup for Win7) -KB4539601

I'm being told there is 80.6MB update to install ... and the MS Edge
(which I don't have installed) update is 80.6MB so it seems *THAT's* the
update that is repeatedly failing!!

The Optional Update is *only* 314.4MB!!

I thought support for Win7 had been discontinued some time ago, anyway!
--
Daniel

Win7 User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.5 Build identifier: 20190609032134

Linux User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623
0
Daniel
6/28/2020 9:23:21 AM
Daniel wrote:
> Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote on 27/06/2020 10:03 PM:
>> Daniel wrote:
>>> Last Monday (so Sunday Evening USA time) when I checked my Windows
>>> Update portal, it showed there was an 80.6MB update waiting to be
>>> installed.
>>>
>>> (Note: Last Monday, so not the normal Windows7 update, which, if
>>> there is one, I usually get on a Wednesday Afternoon (so Tuesday
>>> Evening USA time))
>>>
>>> Virtually daily since, I've been having to re-boot my Win7 so it can
>>> complete the installation .... but time after time after time, the
>>> update fails, so the system reverts to the previously installed
>>> system .... until next cold boot!!
>>>
>>> Is anyone else seeing this behaviour?? Can I, somehow, delete the
>>> Windows Update from the Control Panel screen .... and hope things get
>>> fixed up/picked up next Update Tuesday??
>>>
>>> Any other suggestions .... APART FROM UPDATING TO WIN10??
>>
>> What is the kb number of the update? Microsoft rolled out Chromium
>> Edge to 7 and 8.1 too last week. Didn't do it on 7 because would be
>> only for less than a year. They plan to discontinue it on 7 in June
>> 2021 and extended updates still run till 2023. So no point installing i.
>>
>> FRG
> Thanks, Frank-Rainer. The two updates are ...
>
> Important (MS Edge) Update -KB4567409
> Optional (2020-01 Preview of Monthly Quality Rollup for Win7) -KB4539601
>
> I'm being told there is 80.6MB update to install ... and the MS Edge
> (which I don't have installed) update is 80.6MB so it seems *THAT's* the
> update that is repeatedly failing!!
>
> The Optional Update is *only* 314.4MB!!
>
> I thought support for Win7 had been discontinued some time ago, anyway!

I fed that KB number into the search engine of my choice and voila!
https://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-pushes-out-new-edge-to-windows-7-users/
If you don't want this and/or it is causing problems, I thought Windows
7 allowed you to blacklist updates.  My Windows 7 update setting was
something like "Notify but do not install".

--
spammo ergo sum, viruses courtesy of https://www.nsa.gov/malware/
0
Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote on 28/06/2020 9:02 PM:
> Daniel wrote:
>> Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote on 27/06/2020 10:03 PM:

>>> What is the kb number of the update? Microsoft rolled out Chromium
>>> Edge to 7 and 8.1 too last week. Didn't do it on 7 because would be
>>> only for less than a year. They plan to discontinue it on 7 in June
>>> 2021 and extended updates still run till 2023. So no point installing i.
>>>
>>> FRG
>> Thanks, Frank-Rainer. The two updates are ...
>>
>> Important (MS Edge) Update -KB4567409
>> Optional (2020-01 Preview of Monthly Quality Rollup for Win7) -KB4539601
>>
>> I'm being told there is 80.6MB update to install ... and the MS Edge
>> (which I don't have installed) update is 80.6MB so it seems *THAT's*
>> the update that is repeatedly failing!!
>>
>> The Optional Update is *only* 314.4MB!!
>>
>> I thought support for Win7 had been discontinued some time ago, anyway!
>
> I fed that KB number into the search engine of my choice and voila!
> https://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-pushes-out-new-edge-to-windows-7-users/
> If you don't want this and/or it is causing problems, I thought Windows
> 7 allowed you to blacklist updates.  My Windows 7 update setting was
> something like "Notify but do not install".

Thank you for the link, Don.

Anybody got advice on how to "Remove" the update?? I've de-selected it,
so hopefully, in the meantime, that will stop it repetitively trying to
install itself!
--
Daniel

Win7 User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.5 Build identifier: 20190609032134

Linux User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623
0
Daniel
6/28/2020 11:26:32 AM
On 6/27/2020 5:03 AM, Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:
> What is the kb number of the update? Microsoft rolled out Chromium Edge
> to 7 and 8.1 too last week. Didn't do it on 7 because would be only for
> less than a year. They plan to discontinue it on 7 in June 2021 and
> extended updates still run till 2023. So no point installing i.

My Edge was under WU's optional update. I don't use its automatic
updates since I don't trust MS. I do this for all softwares. I'm in
control, not them.
--
Life is so crazy! ..!.. *isms, sins, hates, (d)evil, illnesses (e.g.,
COVID-19/2019-nCoV/SARS-CoV-2), deaths, heat waves, fires, out(r)ages,
  | |o   o| |   Axe ANT from its address if shown & e-mailing privately.
     \ _ /       Please kindly use Ant nickname & URL/link if crediting.
      ( )
0
Ant
6/28/2020 11:45:29 AM
Daniel wrote:

> Thank you for the link, Don.
>
> Anybody got advice on how to "Remove" the update?? I've de-selected
> it, so hopefully, in the meantime, that will stop it repetitively
> trying to install itself!

Just right-click on the update in the list and choose "Hide update."
Deselecting it keeps WU from installing it, but it doesn't stop it from
offering it.

FWIW, this "update" installs Edge from scratch -- you don't have to
already have Edge installed, so it's not really an "update." You should
also be aware that Edge is set up to update itself automatically, and
it's really hard (maybe impossible) to set it to update only manually.
0
Nobody
6/28/2020 4:16:08 PM
As ChrisI has quite rightly pointed out this is not a SeaMonkey problem,
so I should never have originally posted it here in m.s.seamonkey, so
I'm cross-posting to m.general and setting Follow-up: there to continue
the discussion. Thanks.

Daniel wrote on 27/06/2020 8:22 PM:
> Last Monday (so Sunday Evening USA time) when I checked my Windows
> Update portal, it showed there was an 80.6MB update waiting to be
> installed.
>
> (Note: Last Monday, so not the normal Windows7 update, which, if there
> is one, I usually get on a Wednesday Afternoon (so Tuesday Evening USA
> time))
>
> Virtually daily since, I've been having to re-boot my Win7 so it can
> complete the installation .... but time after time after time, the
> update fails, so the system reverts to the previously installed system
> .... until next cold boot!!
>
> Is anyone else seeing this behaviour?? Can I, somehow, delete the
> Windows Update from the Control Panel screen .... and hope things get
> fixed up/picked up next Update Tuesday??
>
> Any other suggestions .... APART FROM UPDATING TO WIN10??

Thanks to prompting from Frank-Rainer, I noted that there were to
updates listed

Important (MS Edge) Update -KB4567409
Optional (2020-01 Preview of Monthly Quality Rollup for Win7) -KB4539601

and it was this "Important" update, which wants to install Chromium Edge
on my Win7 system, that is causing my problem.

After several days of de-selecting this "Important" update, MicroSoft
apparently knows my needs better than I and still wants to re-select and
install Chromium Edge on my system.

Does anybody have any further suggestions as to what I can do?? Can I
remove the Update from the Windows Update system somehow (although I
suspect this would just result in MS sending the update to me again!!)??
--
Daniel

Win7 User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.5 Build identifier: 20190609032134

Linux User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0)
Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623
0
Daniel
7/1/2020 7:46:53 AM
Daniel wrote:
> Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote on 28/06/2020 9:02 PM:
>> Daniel wrote:

>>> Thanks, Frank-Rainer. The two updates are ...
>>>
>>> Important (MS Edge) Update -KB4567409
>>> Optional (2020-01 Preview of Monthly Quality Rollup for Win7) -KB4539601
>>>
>>> I'm being told there is 80.6MB update to install ... and the MS Edge
>>> (which I don't have installed) update is 80.6MB so it seems *THAT's*
>>> the update that is repeatedly failing!!
>>>
>>> The Optional Update is *only* 314.4MB!!
>>>
>>> I thought support for Win7 had been discontinued some time ago, anyway!
>>
>> I fed that KB number into the search engine of my choice and voila!
>> https://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-pushes-out-new-edge-to-windows-7-users/
>> If you don't want this and/or it is causing problems, I thought
>> Windows 7 allowed you to blacklist updates.  My Windows 7 update
>> setting was something like "Notify but do not install".
>>
> Thank you for the link, Don.
>
> Anybody got advice on how to "Remove" the update?? I've de-selected it,
> so hopefully, in the meantime, that will stop it repetitively trying to
> install itself!

Does
https://www.ghacks.net/2010/08/11/how-to-block-specific-updates-in-windows-update/
help?  The advice is almost 10 years old but it fits what I remember.

--
spammo ergo sum, viruses courtesy of https://www.nsa.gov/malware/
0
Don
7/1/2020 3:34:58 PM
On 2020-07-01 11:34 a.m., Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote:

> Does
> https://www.ghacks.net/2010/08/11/how-to-block-specific-updates-in-windows-update/
> help?  The advice is almost 10 years old but it fits what I remember.

Hi Don,
Your posting address does not appear to be valid, so this message is
being posted here.

There have been quite a few instances where you have posted off-topic
messages in the Mozilla support newsgroups. I want to make make sure
that you are aware of the forum rules. Please read them at
<https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/about/forums/etiquette/>.

If it would help you to see which posts I considered off-topic, please
just e-mail me back.

It's important to remember that the reason people subscribe to the
Mozilla Support newsgroups or mailing lists is for user support; and if
they have to read through many messages that are of no help in their use
of the product, they're not getting what they subscribed for.

If you do want to post an off-topic message, there a few things you can do:
* You can reply to the poster via private email
* You can suggest taking the discussion to a place where the discussion
would not be off-topic.
* You can force replies to be sent to the mozilla.general, where
off-topic discussion is allowed. To do that, just set the Followup-To
header on your post. [Demonstration video:
<http://ilias.ca/screencasts/tb-followup.mp4>]

If you'd like to reply to this message, please email me with a valid
return address, thanks.

--
Newsgroup moderator
0
Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote on 2/07/2020 1:34 AM:
> Daniel wrote:
>> Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote on 28/06/2020 9:02 PM:

>>> I fed that KB number into the search engine of my choice and voila!
>>> https://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-pushes-out-new-edge-to-windows-7-users/
>>>
>>> If you don't want this and/or it is causing problems, I thought
>>> Windows 7 allowed you to blacklist updates.  My Windows 7 update
>>> setting was something like "Notify but do not install".
>>>
>> Thank you for the link, Don.
>>
>> Anybody got advice on how to "Remove" the update?? I've de-selected
>> it, so hopefully, in the meantime, that will stop it repetitively
>> trying to install itself!
>
> Does
> https://www.ghacks.net/2010/08/11/how-to-block-specific-updates-in-windows-update/
> help?  The advice is almost 10 years old but it fits what I remember.

Thanks for sticking with me, Don.

I read the artical then went looking for the 'Windows Update' function.
It only listed the Optional Update.

Even when I clicked the "Restore Hidden Updates" function mentioned in
the ghacks artical, there were no Hidden Updates to restore .... so I
guess this means maybe be over ..... maybe perhaps, but I'm not holding
my breath!!

Thanks for your guidance, Don.